Notices

One Year And Under Part 73

Old 10-23-2023, 10:08 AM
  # 121 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Offthemast View Post
Day 214. Was lazy as all get out this weekend. I watched football all weekend. And when I say all weekend I mean from 11 am Saturday to 11pm last night.

It was glorious.
That's epic!
Old 10-23-2023, 10:11 AM
  # 122 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by samwitch View Post
That's epic!
Well you know, what can I say? It's all about commitment and follow through.
Old 10-23-2023, 10:14 AM
  # 123 (permalink)  

This is day one for me. I remember hating my mother when she drank and now I have become my mother. I forgave her and need to learn how to forgive myself. I guess that will come by letting myself recover. I have to say I am afraid of the hard work ahead. thank you to everyone here for making me not feel alone....
Old 10-23-2023, 10:16 AM
  # 124 (permalink)  

thank you for this!
Old 10-23-2023, 02:13 PM
  # 125 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back doityourself58

D
Old 10-23-2023, 05:02 PM
  # 126 (permalink)  

Welcome, DoItYourself!!!
Old 10-23-2023, 11:41 PM
  # 127 (permalink)  
The Dog

Day 111 ODAAT
Old 10-24-2023, 04:08 AM
  # 128 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Welcome DIY, for me it was my ex husband who was the alcoholic and who's addiction I couldn't understand. How could he choose alcohol over his marriage and a good life? Well a decade or so later I found myself going down the same path. Except I chose the other path. Yes the toughest thing I've ever done, but also the thing I am most proud of. Also most people in my life are proud of me too. I've learned to forgive myself, knowing it was my addiction that lead me down the darker paths.

I say our eyes are at the front to show us the way forward, it we look back it is only to remind ourselves and learn from our mistakes.
Old 10-24-2023, 07:57 AM
  # 129 (permalink)  

Welcome doityourself58

Thank goodness I never associated drinking with sporting events, because the Phillies are maddening. Now we have a game 7 to get through tonight and the potential loss will hurt for sure.

Otherwise, all good in Sam world. I'm a broken record, but I'm stull trying to kick this bronchitis issue. Just tried to talk on a work call and couldn't because I was coughing too much. Ugh!!
Old 10-24-2023, 09:00 AM
  # 130 (permalink)  

Hi :-)

I'm still a non-drinker

just had a couple of self-made chilled ham salad sandwiches (with salad cream - not mayonnaise) really great ...

on the other hand, the shop-bought dough-nuts I have are rotten (cheap bread dough with no egg and fried in some kinda snot - yuck!)

how hard is it to do a nice
brioche dough with an egg folded in and spiced with nutmeg - proofed well, and then fried in groundnut oil ?

..... so now I'm going to have make my own doughnuts (grrrrrrr..)

Prepping tip : I have increase my water storage with a WaterBob (100 gallon plastic bag that goes in the bath) :

only £35 and as long as there is time to fill it up (if/when things get MadMax) it will be a life-saver

anyway - well done if you are still a non-drinker :-)

Old 10-24-2023, 04:06 PM
  # 131 (permalink)  

Did I go to a bar tonight...yes. Did I drink alcohol ....no. Do I have any will power to avoid a taco tuesday special....also no!
Old 10-24-2023, 04:50 PM
  # 132 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats all those hitting milestones

I have to make the point tho - I decided to stay away from bars for a while when I got sober because I found that going to bars sober too soon
eventually made me confuse abstinence with control.

Of course the more years I'm sober the more I see people come at this thing their own way - as long as you never take that first drink, that's the main thing
Old 10-24-2023, 05:34 PM
  # 133 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
congrats all those hitting milestones

I have to make the point tho - I decided to stay away from bars for a while when I got sober because I found that going to bars sober too soon
eventually made me confuse abstinence with control.

Of course the more years I'm sober the more I see people come at this thing their own way - as long as you never take that first drink, that's the main thing
I can totally understand this perspective.
Old 10-24-2023, 11:34 PM
  # 134 (permalink)  
The Dog

Day 112 ODAAT
Old 10-26-2023, 01:06 AM
  # 135 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

LowBones, I would have struggled to say no to those tacos too!

For me Dee, my problem was at home, I did most of my drinking alone while hubby worked away, and I couldn't avoid being in that situation, so I did have to work at associating being at home alone with things other than drinking! Keeping my mind and hands occupied was my biggest help, being here A LOT in the early days helped.

Good to see you Red and glad to hear you're still a non drinker I'm not a big fan of doughnuts they always look so much nicer than they are. When I was in my early teens we had a small local shop and on Saturdays I'd go with my dad to the bakers to collect the bread, there I would occasionally be given a doughnut, fresh out the oil with an extra squirt of jam in it! Those, I enjoyed!
Old 10-26-2023, 02:05 AM
  # 136 (permalink)  
The Dog

Day 113 ODAAT I don't care for doughnuts either. As a matter of fact I am not a sweet tooth person at all. Give me a good meal and if I'm still hungry I will take seconds over dessert any time.
Old 10-26-2023, 04:51 AM
  # 137 (permalink)  

Hi :-)

I'm still a non-drinker

can you believe it - a turnip the size of an orange £2.39 ($2.90) :

- and not in some fancy vegan organic boutique - in my local scabby supermarket !

anyway - well done if you are still a non-drinker :-)
Old 10-26-2023, 06:53 AM
  # 138 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tootsl1 View Post
LowBones, I would have struggled to say no to those tacos too!

For me Dee, my problem was at home, I did most of my drinking alone while hubby worked away, and I couldn't avoid being in that situation, so I did have to work at associating being at home alone with things other than drinking! Keeping my mind and hands occupied was my biggest help, being here A LOT in the early days helped.

Good to see you Red and glad to hear you're still a non drinker I'm not a big fan of doughnuts they always look so much nicer than they are. When I was in my early teens we had a small local shop and on Saturdays I'd go with my dad to the bakers to collect the bread, there I would occasionally be given a doughnut, fresh out the oil with an extra squirt of jam in it! Those, I enjoyed!
I love food...tacos, bbq etc. At 2 bucks a piece i cant even justify staying home to make them myself. I stayed sober, and left when the meal was done. Hard to imagine given the environment, but it made the night easier for me. Feels more like I am moving towards a sober life I can truly enjoy, rather than going without everything that is near alcohol and creating something that feels like a constant test of will. Not an approach that is for everyone I am sure. I tend do a lot of things in my own way though.
Old 10-26-2023, 07:44 AM
  # 139 (permalink)  

You sound like you are doing really well, LowBones. And those tacos look yummy.
Old 10-26-2023, 12:08 PM
  # 140 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by samwitch View Post
You sound like you are doing really well, LowBones. And those tacos look yummy.
I am trying anyway...could deal with a little less vehicle issues. Every time I turn around my jeep needs something. New passenger side cv shaft and outer tie rod today. Alignment next Tuesday.