Notices

New Year Challenge Part 3

Old 01-20-2023, 10:46 AM
  # 241 (permalink)  

I‘m sure to many, it sounds an idyllic life, AL, but all I can think of is cold, wet and being sea sick. Plus it must be stressful in that you don’t know how many fish you’ll catch that day if any ☹️
Old 01-20-2023, 11:12 PM
  # 242 (permalink)  

Apologies missed yesterday photo wouldn't load for some reason
Yes Hodd a hard unappreciated job. Easy and enjoyable to eat the produce a lot more difficult catching it. Like everything in life i wonder do people realise the work that goe into food production. Its only since i started working in the agricultural sector a long time now (supply) ive learned about it myself. I wouldn't be in any hurry to do it myself. No such thing of an hourly rate, weater dependent on yearly income. The list goes on.
Enough moaning. I have to get ready for Work😫.
Old 01-21-2023, 01:00 AM
  # 243 (permalink)  

Yikes! I don’t think many of us have a clue where our food comes from. I recently changed to organic veg, but I’m sure even that’s mass produced with reduced nutrition. As for fish or meat I’ve bought wrapped in plastic from a supermarket, I don’t even know what country it’s from, and that’s not right.

I did visit a lobster hatchery in Cornwall once, and that was quite an eye opener. They can’t be eaten until 5 years old. Must be tricky to catch enough to make a living, but there are soulless franchise restaurants far from any sea which cook them from frozen. We’ve lost the plot over the last 100 years or so when it comes to food and are eating more unhealthily than ever.

Ooops, another tangent 🤣 Have a good day everyone 🙂
Old 01-21-2023, 04:09 AM
  # 244 (permalink)  

Nice picture!

...and, yeah, hard life on a working boat. I live near the water in Washington State, U.S. and the stories are endless.
Old 01-21-2023, 04:12 AM
  # 245 (permalink)  

Just goes to show theres a lad i work with taking 2 weeks unpaid leave now as its calving season and his herd are all timed to go into labour this week.
Fascinating technology being used now robotics milk machine automation in feeding unfortunately someone loses a job i guess.
I also have a farmer friend who now uses a drone to bring the cattle in from fields for milking, even the dogs out of a job.
Back to me. Nice foggy walk to work. Nice having a later start on Saturday at least it brighter.
Old 01-21-2023, 09:15 AM
  # 246 (permalink)  

The late shift’s arrived! AL does sunrise, I do sunsets.

About 3 times a year, it’s foggy at ground level but bright and sunny on the hills. They’re only 400 metres high so it’s quite rare.

I don’t know why my pics are so tiny 🤣
Old 01-21-2023, 09:23 AM
  # 247 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hodd View Post
Hodd, if you're using postimage, you should be able to choose a larger size...like "forum size" or something around the 700 X 700 size - then it will fit into the post box in a larger format.

If you want.

I'm old with glasses and that looks like a postage stamp to me. There may or may not be a hill with some trees on that postage stamp but I wouldn't swear to it.
Old 01-21-2023, 09:30 AM
  # 248 (permalink)  

🤣 Thanks Bimini, sorry for the eye strain. I’ve made it a big bigger. I still need more practice to get up to AL standards
Old 01-21-2023, 09:36 AM
  # 249 (permalink)  

Oh, that's lovely, Hodd. That's perfect!

I really am entranced by that pile of buoyed nets that AL48 posted too. It's so emotionally evocative, as so many of AL48's images are. I see the potential for a coffee-table photography book.

Another of my brill $$$$ making ideas.
Old 01-21-2023, 09:49 AM
  # 250 (permalink)  

Thanks Bimini, the 10-minute drive home at the bottom was seriously foggy. I have to go into town now, and I think I’ll walk!
Old 01-21-2023, 11:44 AM
  # 251 (permalink)  

If its a money making idea Biminiblue im on.$$€€£.
Joking aside, this mornings photo reminds me of being a lad in our hall at home and my dad stitching the net if there was any repairs needed. Big bin on one side for the dameged netvanother on the oppisite gor yhe repaired. My 2 brothers and i would be holding it up while he would stitch his knots. I can still smell it 🤢 but needs must back then. We were only small but its entrenched in my mind.
Lovely photo Hodd.
I've a drive to Dublin tomorrow to visit my older daughter for the day so a boring motorway photo i expect. Though i might drive through Cashel there's a lovely castle there.
Goodnight all, earlier than usual night as i will have an earlier start.
Old 01-21-2023, 01:20 PM
  # 252 (permalink)  

Great stories Hodd and AL48... a walk above the fog is magical.

at having a fishing net at the house for repairs. Glad I wasn't living there!
Old 01-21-2023, 02:43 PM
  # 253 (permalink)  

One branch of my family descends from fisherfolk, I think the sea is in one's blood
I always love seeing the photos of the port and the vessels and I always spare a thought for those at sea.
Old 01-22-2023, 12:05 PM
  # 254 (permalink)  

Driving is exhausting. I'm really tired after my trip to north Dublin. I did get to walk around Malihide which was lovely and took a stroll pass Malihide castle and visited the garden there. Its still asleep but there are some lovely carvings made from a few of the dead trees. It was a lovely day with my daughter but had to come to an end like all nice days. Back home now and only fit for bed.
Old 01-23-2023, 01:34 AM
  # 255 (permalink)  

A nice cold fog filled start to the day. So much for a lie-in. Woke a 6 and headed out before im back bringing my wifes car to the garage this time. The joys of motoring.
I once heard on a podcast of course a very successful man who spoke to college students. The question was if you had a choice of a car one what would you pick. After they had chosen the car he to them theres one thing to know, this is a lifetime choice and no other car will be given to you.
He spoke of how you would look after it care for it , oil water garage to make dure its running well into the future. So why do we not do the same with the one body thats given to us?.
That gets you thinking 🤔.
Old 01-23-2023, 01:38 AM
  # 256 (permalink)  

After seeing this lived in yacht this morning i was thinking of you guys and the maintenance needed if you choose the boat life. Its sail must have came down yesterday. That must have been a fright to get.
Old 01-23-2023, 04:04 AM
  # 257 (permalink)  

That tree carving is really cool!

That sailboat is trying to kill its owner. I'll take dry land, thank you very much.
Old 01-23-2023, 12:46 PM
  # 258 (permalink)  

I think it's fair to say that the boat / yacht has seen better days!
Old 01-24-2023, 04:13 AM
  # 259 (permalink)  

Ive enough of January. Im done 😡 it was frustrating seeing the flat calm waters of the river this morning with that fog hanging just above it all while the the harbour is clear, thats for now, more fog in the distance will cover it again.
All im thinking is how it would be ideal kayaking water. Got to save for a drysuit for next season. Its great to have something to aim for even being far off now dosen't matter. Before it was to just get through the day. Life changes for the better regardless of how frustrating it can be.
Old 01-24-2023, 09:00 AM
  # 260 (permalink)  

ah yes, those flat glassy waters are quite the siren call, aren't they!!! I'm lucky, here in northern California I can go out on my standup paddle board in the winter. Winter often brings calmer water here than our summer, which can be quite windy. I do wear a wetsuit and booties, in case I fall in. I think saving for a drysuit is a great goal ... nothing like a winter paddle.