Notices

New Year Challenge Part 3

Old 01-05-2023, 09:04 AM
  # 161 (permalink)  

I’m British, and I’d rather walk in heavy rain (without a coat) than see Harry and Meghan. I know the British and world press are biased against them, but who cares? They’re obviously thriving on the publicity and playing victim. Who is she anyway? I know I don’t watch much TV, but I’ve no idea what films she’s been in.
Old 01-05-2023, 09:20 AM
  # 162 (permalink)  

Hmm, I do not see it that way at all. And I guess I get a little upset by the aggression toward them. I hope you don't mind me saying that.

And the show that Meghan is famous for is Suits, which was sensational. Not saying that she was sensational, necessarily, but it was a fantastic TV show.

And I love the photo from this morning, Al.
Old 01-05-2023, 11:51 AM
  # 163 (permalink)  

I understand both sides but cant understand the fascination people have be it for celebrity royalty or artist. They all say they want their privacy but it seems they want to be on every tv show going. Just my opinion.
Still might go up and see the Palace while in London and see in Charlie's on for a cuppa🙃
Old 01-05-2023, 11:56 AM
  # 164 (permalink)  

Meghan had a very small part in Horrible bosses 1 (delivery person) that's the only time i saw her acting. Only noticed who it was when she hooked up with Harry. Very funny movie.
Old 01-05-2023, 12:02 PM
  # 165 (permalink)  

I met the Queen when I was seven and would be completely chuffed to have a cup of tea with Charlie.
Old 01-05-2023, 01:11 PM
  # 166 (permalink)  

Hi Venus 🙂 I don’t mind at all. I want people to be happy, so if H&M are happier in USA, that’s great. It’s not an easy life at all being a royal, and I did feel bad for Charles being scrutinised so harshly just after his mum died. I think people needed to think how they felt or will feel when their own mothers went/will go. You’d be surprised, though, as I was at some of the hostility towards Meghan by a lot of people here. I don’t understand it, and I’m sure it’s due to the bias of the press. But as I say, I’m not that fussed about the royals.
Old 01-05-2023, 01:16 PM
  # 167 (permalink)  

I am not surprised, unfortunately; Fleet St is notoriously brutal. (I am an Aussie, but both parents were Brits, so it is all very familiar).
Old 01-05-2023, 01:31 PM
  # 168 (permalink)  

I’m not very politically minded, plus I don’t like derailing AL’s thread (again 😁 ), but even I notice when the press is biased towards a person or a theme. I’d prefer to avoid the news altogether, but I hope I take a balanced view, although this gets harder with age!

As for the royals, in a lot of countries, it’s frowned upon or even illegal to talk badly of that country’s royals. Some country’s royals really do misbehave, but it’s not reported. The Queen and now Charlie behave exceptionally well or we’d be reading all about it.
Old 01-05-2023, 02:04 PM
  # 169 (permalink)  

Fleet St is not really politics; it is "journalism," lol. Well, tabloids, in any case.

But then again, probably enough said. I just like that we all respect one another's views.

Old 01-05-2023, 02:34 PM
  # 170 (permalink)  

… and AL’s promised us a picture of Charlie 😂
Old 01-06-2023, 03:53 AM
  # 171 (permalink)  

Pics of Big Ben or it didn't happen! Or - some little flower in the sidewalk in front of it.
Old 01-06-2023, 04:37 AM
  # 172 (permalink)  

Just arrived and went to Tower Hill memorial to see my grandfather's name and i must admit i shed a tear. Dont know where that came from. Heres a Bridge that i saw.

Old 01-06-2023, 05:24 AM
  # 173 (permalink)  

Oh my gosh, you are bringing back memories for me, dear Al. I did not want to leave London, not ever.

Sending you love. ❤️
Old 01-06-2023, 05:32 AM
  # 174 (permalink)  

Nice! Boats!
Old 01-06-2023, 06:17 AM
  # 175 (permalink)  

Enjoy, AL 👍🙂🇬🇧
Old 01-06-2023, 09:17 AM
  # 176 (permalink)  

Thanks AL, today I googled Tower Hill and learned something -- a memorial to merchant seamen lost to enemy action in the world wars. I really love London and the history there ... but I missed this memorial on my two visits to that city. Your photo is lovely as always!
Old 01-06-2023, 11:32 AM
  # 177 (permalink)  

My legs are hanging did the proper tourists stuff and walked London. Just back in the hotel now for a mint tea.
Charlie wasn't home so no cuppa.
Its a beautiful busy city leaving me emotionally drained 😅. From the seeing the memorial to the scares at the london dungeon tour and now tired but happy. Having these days with my family and spending my time properly with them cant be beat.

Im not great when it comes to flying and even had a panic attack onboard a flight once. It was a great excuse to go to the bar before the flight and airport time dosent count as far as having a drink so the first day of any trip i wasn't there for anyone but my selfish self. So glad thsts changed and now meditation gets me through the flights.
Old 01-06-2023, 11:40 AM
  # 178 (permalink)  

"They're changing guard at Buckingham Palace -
Christopher Robin went down with Alice ..."

First lines from one of my favourite AA Milne poems.

The nighttime Thames photos is just lovely, Al. ❤️
Old 01-06-2023, 11:50 AM
  # 179 (permalink)  

It was just a lovely day and evening Venus. The nightlife will be left to the younger humans. Im lying in my bed now watching a gardening show from Venice. Ive turned into a boring old fart and im proud of it🤣.
Old 01-06-2023, 12:29 PM
  # 180 (permalink)  

Clever AL’s spotted Charlie’s flag not up (that’s not some euphemism 🙂 ) which means he’s not home.

You’ve reminded me, AL, of many of my London trips which would invariably end up in pubs. I don’t like pubs at the best of times, but London’s pub are the worst! I go quite a lot now (direct train from near my house) and don’t miss that side of things. As for airport, I’ve no fear of flying, but my first sober trip (3 months) was to Germany, and I was in a constant state of shock at the triggers. Fortunately the person I met up with was teetotal!

No shame in an early night, AL. You’ll be up and about taking photos whilst the partying types are sleeping off hangovers 🙂