Notices

New Year Challenge Part 3

Old 01-12-2023, 04:26 AM
  # 201 (permalink)  

Great pics, AL. I love the light in those harbor shots. I love sailboats but yes they are a lot of maintenance, so we always chartered, although friends owned boats. Mostly just stuck to my motorcycles.

I'm off to Southeast Asia in a few days. Its sunny here in the Southwest US, but time for some much warmer and more humid weather. I hope spring comes soon for you and you're out on that kayak and paddleboard.
Old 01-12-2023, 12:57 PM
  # 202 (permalink)  

Wow, adv. I’m super jealous. I lived/worked in Thailand and Malaysia and up until recently was married to a local. It sure makes sense to head there this time of year. All the local rivers here have flooded!

Which region are you heading too?
Old 01-12-2023, 01:22 PM
  # 203 (permalink)  

P.s. when I say jealous, I mean in a nice way Enjoy.

I’ve had two sober trips back to Malaysia, but I’d always been a drinker there and even more so Thailand. In these countries, alcohol isn’t really the culture. It’s mainly for tourists.
Old 01-12-2023, 10:52 PM
  # 204 (permalink)  

Thanks Advbike enjoy the trip.
My parent wound go to Spain for 2 months before at this time of year for a bit of sun. Thats finished now with my dad becoming more forgetful. Feel sorry for my mam, she complains but loves looking after someone.
Sometimes i say to my wife before we know it the kids will be gone and we will be on our own. Just have to come up with something to make sure her mother dosen't think she will be moving in with us when they do leave 😬.
Old 01-13-2023, 04:17 AM
  # 205 (permalink)  

I’m undecided whether to join my new partner when she heads to Southeast Asia in a couple of months time. On the one hand, it’s always an opportunity of a lifetime to visit a new foreign land with a local, but then again we’ve not been together long, and it’s a long way to go for a holiday of arguments and strops 🤣 I’ve done that before and it’s an awful feeling. Plus I’m conscious it’s an important family visit holiday for her, and I’d be mortified to spoil anyone’s family visit. I think I’ll be booking at the last possible minute, but it’s definitely not a certain trip. In my drinking days, I’d have thought of me first and just booked!
Old 01-13-2023, 08:02 AM
  # 206 (permalink)  

I think its a wise choice you are making Hodd, best to wait a bit. I'd be thinking the same way as you.
Dark 7.30am start but is it me or are we getting bright at almost 8am. Just me wishing my life away again. Enjoy the moments like this morning the colours were worth every second to see.
Old 01-13-2023, 08:43 AM
  # 207 (permalink)  

Beautiful morning colors, AL.
Old 01-13-2023, 11:35 AM
  # 208 (permalink)  

You’re definitely right, AL. We’ve had our first little tiff 🤣 and it’s always an eye opener. It came out that I said something unpleasant to a man at the swimming pool! I said no such thing! I have many faults, but nasty comments isn’t one. If I’m going to be falsely accused of stuff, I’ll definitely avoid this trip. I had a holiday years ago on an island with a girlfriend. I wasn’t much of a drinker then but still had an almighty strop that wrote off that holiday. Was an idyllic location too, but whenever I hear the name, I feel cold 🤣 Arguments on holiday are the worst!
Old 01-13-2023, 10:57 PM
  # 209 (permalink)  

Probably something that I would have said too.
We say things over here that mean the opposite its the tone its given in.
Example "i will yeah" means No,
"Give me a second I'll be there in a minute" means wait please.
I could go on, we will often call each other things that are terrible but if you put "get away ye" infront of the insulting word its deemed as fine and laughed at.
So you could imagine my wife having to understand our hybrid version of the English language after studying it in Paris😅.
Old 01-14-2023, 01:45 AM
  # 210 (permalink)  

But I didn’t say anything 🤣

I remember a group of German colleagues reading a joke e-mail about what British people say and what they actually mean. It had things like saying sorry when the other person is wrong, “you could be right” when the other person is talking nonsense and “that would be nice” when invited to somewhere you’ve no intention of ever going. They were totally baffled, and I couldn’t explain why Brits do that.

My only confusing statement is “maybe later” when offered food I don’t want. The thing is, it gets taken literally and said food is pushed in front of me a while later. I’m totally to blame for that one. Also, British humour, even if it’s at my own expense, goes down very badly. It’s like learning a new language and anything you say will be used against you 🤣
Old 01-14-2023, 05:55 AM
  # 211 (permalink)  

Lovely morning photos. ...and yeah, it's getting light here around 8AM too.

Is it Spring yet?
Old 01-14-2023, 06:56 AM
  # 212 (permalink)  

Almost Biminiblue but i took this one at 8.30am, later start on Saturday. To make it worse we stocktake today and tomorrow 😭 i hate it. The auditor's will be spot checking tomorrow and its like you did something if they find a wrong count.
Hodd we could go on for ages about how we contradict ourselves, but i think its that we dont want to dissapoint those around us, like a self defence system we have been train into without knowing. I know it drives my mother in law mad. She says it straight regardless of how hurtful it could be😅
Old 01-15-2023, 01:07 AM
  # 213 (permalink)  

Turn right i continue my Sunday walk. Turn left i go to work. 😭😭😭😭😭 I had to turn left.
Thank all the gods its only once a year.
Old 01-15-2023, 04:52 AM
  # 214 (permalink)  

Awww Poor AL. It’s only one Sunday a year? 👍

After the recent arctic weather followed by non-stop rain and flooding, today’s fantastic here, and I even turned up for my club’s 5k or 10k run. I opted for the shorter one having done no exercise lately.

I tried to share photos recently without success. Any pointers how to do this, please?
Old 01-15-2023, 06:08 AM
  # 215 (permalink)  

I use post images and copy the direct link url below the chosen picture
Old 01-15-2023, 07:11 AM
  # 216 (permalink)  

Not up to AL’s standards (if it even works) and a few weeks back. Pic from a late afternoon run. Quite a scary sky!

p.s. Thanks AL 🙂
Old 01-15-2023, 08:53 AM
  # 217 (permalink)  

Nice pics, AL & Hodd!
Old 01-15-2023, 08:56 AM
  # 218 (permalink)  

richmond channel 3.jpg

This is from my morning stand-up paddle a few days ago, when we had a little break in our "atmospheric river" of rain.
Old 01-15-2023, 09:44 AM
  # 219 (permalink)  

Thats a beautiful sky Hodd.
I think over the last 2 years ive been looking a bit closer at these sights and it has been
awe-inspiring at times. It must be this new life we lead now.
Something that has been infront of me for so many years i get to appreciate now even more now sober. Either that or its my age. I'm happier doing it sober regardless 🙂.
Tomorrow i get to leave my car in the garage for the day and explore Cork city on foot. I will visit my uncles and aunts who still live there. Spend nothing as its going to set me back €850 to get the time belt changed and another few bits and pieces done to it 😭.
On the bright side i couldn't imagine how i would have come up with the mony for it if i was still downing a bottle of spirits a day. So thats kind of making it better if thats possible😅.
The never ending automobile money pit.
Old 01-15-2023, 09:45 AM
  # 220 (permalink)  

Im so jealous Tursiops 😫.
Its bad when all that rain comes at once. We spread it out in Ireland to 364 days of rain and may be 1 sunny day for the BBQ during the summer 😅