Notices

Class of September 2022 Support Thread Part 2

Old 09-28-2022, 01:57 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Morning all, woke up at 3 am and couldn't go back to sleep. So going to go hit the early CrossFit class before I go into work today. I normally work from home, but we have an all day onsite meeting today.

FF - get to that meeting tomorrow. You have the power to change, and that can start now!
Peke - vibes sent for your hubby
Basset - I too meditate. It is extremely helpful, especially when I get stressed during work.

Have a great day all.
Old 09-28-2022, 03:34 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Good Morning!
I'm off to the gym for an early workout.
Peke--good vibes for your hubby-I will say after mine a few yrs ago, I ate an entire pizza, LOL.
FF-welcome back and I hope you can turn things around.
Gibby-I've not ever done Crossfit though it definitey looks interesting, have you been doing it long?
Basset-I keep trying to meditate, but to no avail.
Anyone I missed, I'm sorry.

I love waking up sober. Never gets old.
Oh, Day 10.
Old 09-28-2022, 06:49 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

•°o.O Have yourself a productive and peaceful day all O.o°•

Up at 3 am watched a PBS on Cuba's world class cancer R & D + treatments.
starting to rumble about got to get outside while the wind is calm to fly my mini- helochopper.
Off I go.

FF Its a new day to start fresh. Today can be the last time you ever pick-up again. I believe in you. Good on you for giving the meeting another go.
Originally Posted by Sam
keep trying to meditate, but to no avail
I use guided visualization meditation along with clear mind meditation.
Try this or another of your choosing. Like anything practice makes progress. Best wishes

Old 09-28-2022, 08:13 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Happy Wednesday everyone!
I think it’s day eleven for me. I don’t know.
Gibby I’m sorry that you could sleep. How did the CrossFit go??
Sam, I hope that the gym went well!! I have a feeling that on the drive home, we’ll be hitting a burger place for sure!!
Hi Anna, Venus and Zen cat.

Thank you all for your good wishes for my husband…

I wanted to share a piece of good news.
I developed an eating disorder (ED) in my early 30’s. I didn’t binge. But I restricted myself a lot. And I would run on a very low number of calories. I would purge by getting myself sick or by laxative abuse. I’m 53 now. Laxative abuse has been a thing until now. It’s been a long, long time.

A few months ago I decided to stop buying laxatives. Just like that. I buy laxatives the way most ppl purchase toothpaste or vitamins. But I thought “I’m tired of abusing my body”. Laxative abuse caused horrible long term effects. Just like drinking.

My body is still taking time to adjust. I still feel bloated and distended. But this is going to benefit me in so many ways. Here is some information on long-term laxative abuse, in case you know someone else who is having a problem with it:
”Laxative abuse can also lead to an overstretched or lazy colon which can result in colon cancer, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, and, in extreme cases, colon cancer.The body’s nutrient balance is also negatively impacted by laxative use, with one article noting that it can cause “a disturbance in mineral balance like magnesium, sodium, potassium, and phosphates, which allow muscles to work optimally [2].”
I don’t mean to bore all of you with this. I know it’s not pertinent to SR. But I hope that if I can love myself and my body enough to quit this one drug, then perhaps I can apply it to alcohol. I wish you knew how heavily I depended on laxatives. I even took them on vacation.

Sorry that this was so long!

Anxious for my husband. It will be okay!

Old 09-28-2022, 08:40 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Administrator

Zen, that looks like a good guided meditation.

Peke, I'm glad you're taking care of your body. Good luck to your husband.

Sam, Day 10 is great.
Old 09-28-2022, 10:44 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

FF - I hope you make that meeting today (or whatever else you may need to do) to get back to day 1. We all know how hard it is to make it to that day 1. I know it feels impossible but you can do it.

Peke - great job practicing self-care and taking care of yourself.

Gibby - same to you for getting cross-fit session on so little sleep!

Sam - well done getting in an early morning workout! Great way to start the day. I’ve always been an evening workout person as I was too hungover to get out of bed for a workout.

Day 4 for me. My ankle injury is really bumming me out as I can’t workout. Definitely going to meditate and read after work though.

Have a good day all
Old 09-28-2022, 10:54 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Sam - I've been doing crossfit for about 10 years. I love it - mostly b/c It got me to do things I would never have done otherwise and I enjoy working out in the group environment. I've learned to push myself in ways I never thought possible before I started it.

Peke - this morning was good. It was really great to get a workout in knowing I was going to be gone all day. Thanks for sharing more about your history and what you are dealing with. Don't fret on what's in the past, keep making strides and just move forward. Keep trying to improve like you are doing and you will see results.
Old 09-28-2022, 11:30 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Peke, Stay focused of your wellness routines. Take good care.

Gibby, I too wake up around 2, 3 am. I take a nap here and there. Sleep can be elusive for sure.

Bassit, 4 is the score to beat. Good working it.

Sam, rack up them days bro.

Anna, I have used as an introduction of meditation. Found about them on PBS KCRW early am radio.

Cooler 73°F. wind 9 mph. Doing some fall cleaning. A lot of stuff neglected, dirty, junky. Drunkenness and cleanliness did not mix with my dopy self.

ODDAT x 40 "Nothing is so bad, a drink won't make it worse."

Old 09-28-2022, 11:37 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

I think that you are doing wonderfully, dear zen. s

And I am going to add that ALL of you are doing so well. ❤️
Old 09-28-2022, 04:35 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone! Today is actually 10 weeks w/o laxatives.

My husband’s colonoscopy went well!!! Hooray!!

Happy sober Wednesday
Old 09-28-2022, 04:43 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you gave up the laxatives PL. to my mind it's very much related to the other problems we face here...self medication to feel good about ourselves, trying to keep a secret and feeling shame about it....etc etc

D
Old 09-28-2022, 07:25 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Just checking in at the end of a long day. Some major work stress today…just swamped all day. Foot/ankle pain an issue too. I hung in there though, quick meditation after work, ate a good meal with the family, played some board games, read some more of my sobriety book, and watched some good tv with the wife.

Glad I stayed sober today. Worked my plan.

Hope everyone had a good sober day.
Old 09-28-2022, 07:36 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
I think that you are doing wonderfully, dear zen.

you Venuscat . I admire your your kindness, support and commitment to help others achieve wellness.
Good going on you my peer support buddy. Yea, I been applying daily symptom management tools to my addiction/PTSD to keep stuff on track. Making the change from drugging as I please, too you know, a new drug free way of living has me a tad edgy. As you know, got give it to get it.

Thank you every each and every❤️ September ❤️ Classmate for your support.
Old 09-29-2022, 05:25 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Hi Septembers!
Lots of weird dreams last night--yikes. But, still sober sleep is amazing, so I will deal with the odd dream or two.
Busy work day ahead, and then off for a three day weekend starting tomorrow which I am looking forward to, obviously no drinking will be involved, and actually the AV has been super quiet but I am on guard.

One thing I noticed is that in the past when I stopped drinking I would be completely exhausted and almost light headed at times--I had chalked that up to lack of sugar or something but I couldn't figure out how to solve for it. This time, coincidently, I had started a more plant-based approach to food right before I quit and it just occurred to me that I haven't had that feeling of exhaustion and brain fog. I'm not completely veg, but about 90%. No idea if it just correlation, but I will take it, and I will continue for sure.
Food for thought, haha.

Have a good sober day!

Old 09-29-2022, 06:24 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Food is so important. Healthy diet = happy Suze.

Really glad to hear you sounding happy, dear Sam. s
Old 09-29-2022, 06:24 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Love and good morning all, and goodnight to Dee. s ❤️
Old 09-29-2022, 07:14 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Smile housekeeping

G'day Class with the most class.

Nighty nighty Dee

Sam your hard work and perseverance have started to paid off.

New day (41) Cleaning up the wreckage of my past with a smile on my funky looking face.

When I believed that drinking/dope would help me manage my PTSD symptoms the opposite occurs. Any rationalization that can keep me in the drink, but the 'self-medicate' jive seemed more legitimate. The AV can match wits with me yet I believed "I got this". I pushed aside that I was dishonest, unreliable, I'm a crappy friend and just being a sick a$$ human. I guess I got to remember where I came so I can chart my new better, wholesome voyage to a sober wellbeing.

​​​​​​FEAR
~ Face
~ Everything
~ And
~ Recover
Old 09-29-2022, 12:57 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Busy day at work today, but embracing it with a sober mind.

Great news Peke!
Sam - I have weird dreams too, especially the last couple of nights.
Zen - love the FEAR acronym!

Old 09-29-2022, 01:50 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Busy day at work for me too Gibby. I only had about an hour sleep last night too. Stress + being tired = triggered. I am going to stay sober though. Have errands to run with the family tonight so at least I’ll be busy/distracted.

Sam - about 12 years ago I lost about 70 lbs by switching to mostly veg diet. I’ve kept most of that weight off still (by maintaining a mostly healthy diet…other than copious amounts of beer). Eating healthier for the win.

I also love the FEAR acronym. Thanks for sharing

Have a good sober night all

Old 09-29-2022, 03:55 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  
Administrator

Just in case anyone doesn't know

We'll move this thread at the end of the month so that the new monthly thread (October 2022) can take its place here in Newcomers forum.

This September 2022 thread stays intact, but moves to the Daily Support forum.

Some of you may prefer to move to October's thread, but there's no rule about that at all - stay here, move, or post in both - it's really up to you

I wanted to remind everyone you're all very welcome to keep posting in this thread.

It will keep going

Dee
Administrator
SR