Notices

Class of September 2022 Support Thread Part 2

Old 09-26-2022, 02:01 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pekelover2 View Post
I’m glad you’re going to try again Five! Sending you hugs.
Hooray for day nine FDL. This is good news!

Hi Basset. Stay here and post daily if you can!
Here are some soothing and distracting strategies that myself and others have come up with to get me through this time…
Self-soothing strategies:

1. Read.
2. Listen to a podcast.
3. Run. This works well. But I’m not exactly soothed by it. I feel better. Not soothed though.
4. Hug my dogs. That works.
5. Take my dogs for a walk.
6. Take a bath.
7. Cry. I have a difficult time crying. I know it sounds silly I shouldn’t even be thinking about it. But crying used to be very cathartic for me. If I had an experiment in the lab that didn’t work out I knew of a bathroom in a different building that I could go to. And I would cry in one of the stalls. I don’t care that sounds silly. Scientific research is a very high pressure industry and you do what you need to do!
8. Eating. Gosh eating is very self soothing. But I have struggled with an eating disorder as you all know. So that’s not really a good thing.

9. Breathing. Taking four deep, cleansing breaths. It’s very soothing.
10. Smiling. I love to smile. That kicks the negative thoughts out of my mind. Which is similar to being soothed and reassured.
11. Looking at the stars. I was walking my dogs tonight. And the stars were so beautiful. It reminded me how insignificant my problems are. And that may be the universe up there is cheering for me.
12. Watching YouTube videos of ppl who have gone through difficult or traumatic situations and who have learned to accept their lives and be happy.
13. Thinking of my father. And how much he loved me.
14. Thinking of Christmas and how happy ppl are.

15. Volunteering.
16. Humming/whistling
17. Going to a museum
18. Remembering that my husband loves me. Hugging him. Remembering when I was feeling like I’d never meet anyone and I was sad about that.
19. Calling my Aunt or my nephew.
20. Watching Antiques Roadshow
21. Remembering that I’m a good person. I’m not perfect. But I’m trying.
Great list! Thanks for the suggestions. In addition to that sobriety book I purchased, I also downloaded a “fun” book to read. I also love podcasts. I used to be a runner but can’t now due to chronic ankle and knee injuries. I really do miss how peaceful it felt to go on a long run outside. I get my exercise on my Peloton now though and I enjoy that. I do enjoy walks with my basset hound too. I always forget how relaxing breathing exercises can be…will to have to start that again. Today I changed up my work routine and meditated after I got of week which was nice.
Old 09-26-2022, 04:49 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Basset, Five. Glad you're recommitting to sobriety. Do you know what triggered the want to drink

There is a saying: "S.L.I.P. stands for sobriety losing its priority." A relapse happens long before the first drink or drug use."
Old 09-26-2022, 06:32 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

I was triggered by consecutive incredibly stressful days at work followed up by having to commit to weekly religious meetings with my son that I don’t want to attend but it’s really important to my parents. These meetings last all year.

I had gotten away from successful coping skills I had used in the past. Drinking was the worst option I could’ve chosen.
Old 09-26-2022, 06:32 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I think that most of you know I was hit by a (small) truck while cycling before Christmas.
Just saw ortho for my legs today. The one leg got 47 staples about the knee. Great news: no edema! So no fluid had to be drained!
the right leg is more complex. I have a right crushed quad. There is a band of scar tissue that sort of divides it in half. It’s not completely severed or anything. But the good news is that ortho said that I should get some massages to break up the band.

Bottom line: start running!! YAY!!

PS. my dad was an orthopedic surgeon. This man reminded me so much of my father. He was kind and had similar mannerisms. I felt like I was seeing my dad​​​​​.

Lat thing, is the jaw. So that’s still broken but it has sort of fused together and become arthritic. I will need a dual implant there. That’s scary. Insurance has denied the (200-400k) surgery. So the oral surgeon will try again.

Still have the hysterectomy at the end of the year.

But I can run. And I will get to doing that more often that I was previously.

Happy sober Monday.
Old 09-26-2022, 06:57 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's good news for you, Peke. I'm glad your leg is healing.
Old 09-26-2022, 08:33 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear that Basset.

KP
Old 09-27-2022, 01:34 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BassetDog View Post
I was triggered by consecutive incredibly stressful days at work followed up by having to commit to weekly religious meetings with my son that I don’t want to attend but it’s really important to my parents. These meetings last all year.

I had gotten away from successful coping skills I had used in the past. Drinking was the worst option I could’ve chosen.
Hi Basset

i can relate to incredibly stressful days at work. I have realised this is a huge trigger for my drinking behaviour. I’m not sure what you do for a living but I am limiting this to adjusting my day to deal with what’s important on the day first thing and leaving the things that arnt as important for later, and also ensuring I wind down toward the end of the day doing the less stressful tasks as they day goes on. I am also taking note to turn off my work phone and not pick up work related emails when I have finished.

it really has helped. The crazy thing is there is very little to be done in an evening until the next day anyway except get stressed out about it !
Old 09-27-2022, 01:40 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pekelover2 View Post
I think that most of you know I was hit by a (small) truck while cycling before Christmas.
Just saw ortho for my legs today. The one leg got 47 staples about the knee. Great news: no edema! So no fluid had to be drained!
the right leg is more complex. I have a right crushed quad. There is a band of scar tissue that sort of divides it in half. It’s not completely severed or anything. But the good news is that ortho said that I should get some massages to break up the band.

Bottom line: start running!! YAY!!

PS. my dad was an orthopedic surgeon. This man reminded me so much of my father. He was kind and had similar mannerisms. I felt like I was seeing my dad​​​​​.

Lat thing, is the jaw. So that’s still broken but it has sort of fused together and become arthritic. I will need a dual implant there. That’s scary. Insurance has denied the (200-400k) surgery. So the oral surgeon will try again.

Still have the hysterectomy at the end of the year.

But I can run. And I will get to doing that more often that I was previously.

Happy sober Monday.
wow peke that sounds incredibly difficult and painful ! It’s great you are on the mend. Physical activity is so important. I haven’t done much at all the last few years due to caring for my father before he passer and also drinking got in the way. Hoping to deal with this depression now and I can break the cycle and get back into it .
Old 09-27-2022, 05:36 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Good morning all-
Peke--good news about your leg, and I hope your insurance approves the jaw surgery--what a time you've had!

Just adding to the above "triggers" convo-work stress is definitely my number 1. FDL--I agree with your approach and especially your comment about there being nothing to do in the evening except stress about it-so true.

I am planning my exit strategy from my current position-it will most likely be 2-3 years down the road but I'm planning now. Just having the date(or at least the year-I decided 2025 is year-just not sure yet what month) is helpful, as is knowing I have time to prepare and also decide my next steps in life :-)
Old 09-27-2022, 05:50 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Guten morgen alle
Originally Posted by Basset
had gotten away from successful coping skills I had used in the past.
I've done that in the past. We live we learn.

Up and might need a nap latter. Sleep was a little short last night yet I don't mind it. Just a little fuzzy thinking this morn. I can work with that also. I think I just take it easy today and just focus of my recovery.

Keep on keeping on peeps
ODAAT x 33

Old 09-27-2022, 05:53 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Peke - I am glad you seem to be trending in the right direction with your extensive injuries. I can’t believe how stressful and painful that must be to deal with. So cool you are can run!

FDL and Sam - sounds like some good strategies for dealing with work. I find myself worrying about too many things that are out of my control at work. Need to get back to focusing on the things I can control.

Start of day 2 for me. I actually was able to sleep decently well last night. Feeling meh to start the day but at least I’m not hungover!

Have a great day all
Old 09-27-2022, 07:40 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Beautiful morning here with our first cool front that just came in. We finally made it through one of the most brutal summers I can remember. Now if we could just get some rain...

Good news Peke, glad to hear!
Zen - double 3s, very nice
Sam - sounds like a good plan to me
Basset - nice job on day 2
FDL - sorry to hear about your depression. We're here for you
Old 09-27-2022, 12:52 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Well hauled my ass outta the house this evening for a game of squash with a friend. Feels great to have achieved something today after work.

I’m a bit all over still emotionally I’m sat here can’t work out if I’ve just done 9 days or 10 days but you know what I don’t care I’ve done another day and best I’ve felt for weeks physically and mentally.

how long is it until your body flushes out - does anyone know? Starting to realise how feeling **** so much exasperated by alcohol! Yeah I’ve had a tough time last few years but it’s that crap that’s made it feel way worse.

another day to do tomorrow! Thanks everyone and goodnight
Old 09-27-2022, 12:55 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BassetDog View Post

FDL and Sam - sounds like some good strategies for dealing with work. I find myself worrying about too many things that are out of my control at work. Need to get back to focusing on the things I can control.

Have a great day all
exactly Basset I think many people do way more than what we are paid to do and take on to much stress which can be avoided. If we dropped dead tomorrow we’d be replaced within a month ! Got too look after ourselves!
Old 09-27-2022, 05:33 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Basset… I love to read too! I’m in two books clubs. And I enjoy reading fun stuff too! Thank you for what you wrote. I’m doing really well. So grateful that my bike accident wasn’t worse. Breathing has been key right now for me. Even when I’m wing my dogs, I try to be mindful of how I’m breathing. I sometimes tend to suck in when I get anxious. Meditation is helpful to a lot of my friends and family. I’d say half of my running friends have a Peleton! They love them. I also have run with friends and w!ll go the their house afterwards and do a cool down session.

Thank you Anna!!

FDL…working out is really important for me. I feel alive. And it helps me with my sadness. I know that taking care of your father must have been stressful. I can relate. Sometimes just getting out there and walking is so important.

Thanks Sam!!

I woke up beyond depressed today. I through one my running gear and just left the house. When I got to the trail head, I though “heck with this. I’m going to go home”. But I stuck it out and ran. I felt so much better.

I was hoping for a huge favor. My husband is having a colonoscopy tomorrow. Please send s good vibes that it goes well.
Old 09-27-2022, 05:50 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Gibby - we are just getting our first blast of fall weather here too. This is my favorite time of year by far. Thanks for the words of encouragement btw.

Peke - I just started a good book on sobriety today: The Unexpected Joy of Being Sober. About 1/3 of the way through it. It’s a great read so far. Best of wishes for your husband’s procedure tomorrow.

I am wrapping up day 2. Other than nursing an ankle injury I sustained playing football with the kids yesterday I am doing alright. Changed up my work routine and meditated right after work (which helped a little with the stress), did the dishes, read my new book, and then cooked dinner. Normally after work I would be out on an immediate beer run. Now I’m getting ready for some Amazon Prime, HBO Max and off to bed.

Have a great, sober night all
Old 09-27-2022, 06:51 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Sending healing energy your way.

That's kinda hipnotic

Just dropping buy to say. Keep on trucking!
All is well or well enough to manage and not a whole lot to report.
Another sober day thanks to my HP "The Lucky Stars".
Old 09-27-2022, 07:17 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

I'm am alcoholic and a drug addicted. I tried to steel myself up for an NA meeting by drinking beer but I just got drunk and went home.

There's another NA meeting tomorrow in my town. Maybe ill go to that.
Old 09-27-2022, 07:50 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Basset, thank you for the book recommendation. I appreciate it! I’m proud of you for not going on that beer run!
You’ll be so much happier tomorrow morning!
Thank you Zencat!

IDK how long it takes FDL to flush alcohol out of your body. I think truly it takes a lot of time.

Freedom I hope you go to that meeting tomorrow.

Sam, Venus and Anna, have a good evening.

Old 09-27-2022, 10:36 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you'll try again FF.

D