Notices

Class of September 2022 Support Thread Part 2

Old 09-29-2022, 04:28 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by samwitch View Post
Hi Septembers!
Lots of weird dreams last night--yikes. But, still sober sleep is amazing, so I will deal with the odd dream or two.
Busy work day ahead, and then off for a three day weekend starting tomorrow which I am looking forward to, obviously no drinking will be involved, and actually the AV has been super quiet but I am on guard.

One thing I noticed is that in the past when I stopped drinking I would be completely exhausted and almost light headed at times--I had chalked that up to lack of sugar or something but I couldn't figure out how to solve for it. This time, coincidently, I had started a more plant-based approach to food right before I quit and it just occurred to me that I haven't had that feeling of exhaustion and brain fog. I'm not completely veg, but about 90%. No idea if it just correlation, but I will take it, and I will continue for sure.
Food for thought, haha.

Have a good sober day!
I’m sorry about the dreams Sam. That’s an interesting correlation. I am vegan although I have had a little bit of fish in the last week. I do find that my mood is better when I eat more of a plant-based diet.
Old 09-29-2022, 04:32 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Basset, I’m sorry that you’re running in such low sleep. That’s really difficult to do. Stay focused on your sobriety.

Today is day 13 for me. I ran 6.25 miles (I paused strava and so it ended up being a bit shorter than it was). I felt tired for the first two miles. Then I got a second wind and felt great.
My father passed away today in 2007. I don’t like to post things about it on Facebook. But today I decided to write a little tribute to him. And it was very warmly received. I feel very exposed on Facebook sometimes and I feel that people do a lot of things for attention. So I never put those types of personal thoughts on social media. But maybe that’s why it was so well received? Because I generally don’t do it.

I hope that I can make it past the two week mark. I’ve binge drink generally once or twice a month. And this is where I run into trouble! But I’m working on my sober mind set.

I’m looking forward to a sober night with my husband. I hope that all of you are well and I’m thinking of everyone here.

Old 09-29-2022, 04:53 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  
Administrator

keep moving forward PL

Glad this quit is easier in the foggy head respect Sam
D
Old 09-29-2022, 05:44 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

––––•(-• (Quick check-in) •-)•––––
The day went well and that's all I could hope for. No worries.
Nothing is so bad, a drink won't make it worse". - Slogan
.(....\............../....)
. \....\........... /..../
...\....\........../..../
....\..../´¯.I.¯`\./
..../... I....I..(¯¯¯`\
...I.....I....I...¯¯.\...\
...I.....I´¯.I´¯.I..\...)
...\.....` ¯..¯ ´.......'
....\_________.·´

Old 09-29-2022, 08:58 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Joining

Hi all . I’m joining this class. I’m new here. I have 12 days today
Old 09-29-2022, 10:31 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome aboard AJ

D
Old 09-29-2022, 11:30 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Good morning. Day 1 unfortunately but no WD symptoms.

I went to my first NA meeting last night. It was a zoom meeting and my friend was doing service so he invited me. Short meeting, just three of us. Going to try a physical meeting in my town tonight.

Have a phone appt later this morning about the welfare to work scheme. I sent off the form yesterday. There's some admin jobs on the scheme in my town so hopefully I can get one of those, and I filled out my profile with work history etc yesterday.

So not such a bad day 0. Also cooked dinner for my family, and shaved and showered and put a shirt on for the meeting. Trying to really make a go of things.

Going to meditate and exercise today. They're important tools for me. Will try and get to some online meetings tomorrow and Sunday.
Old 09-30-2022, 12:14 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Went for my run. I have to quit smoking, it was pathetic. I managed 1km in 8mins. My pace was 6mins not to long ago, but i suppose im out of practice. I'm going to try and get in the habit of mon/wed/Fri runs.
Old 09-30-2022, 01:01 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  
soberfighterwriter

Hi all. Haven't been here much this week, I have had a stressful experience at work. I am a teacher, and my school is being renovated. My students have been in a crappy room for months, but they were promised their new classroom would be ready when they came back from summer vacation. That did not happen. Now, this week the room really was ready, but instead of letting my class move into their forever classroom, the principal decided to give our room to another class and told us to stay in the crappy room for three more months. I protested, trying to tell the principal that my students have been waiting for months, and that they feel that this is extremely unfair, and she responded by slamming her hand onto the table, yelling "now you listen to me!"

I have never been treated like that in my life. I was just trying to do the best thing for my students. She scared the crap out of me, fully knowing that I have PTSD and am extremely fragile around strong, negative emotions. My first reaction was to run away and never come back, but I decided to go over her head and report it. So, in 30 minutes I am going to a meeting with the principal and her boss, and I am anxious - but proud of myself too. I didn't run, I decided to fight.

Wish me luck?
Old 09-30-2022, 03:35 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AJ143143 View Post
Hi all . I’m joining this class. I’m new here. I have 12 days today
Welcome AJ, great to have you! Congrats on 12 days.
Old 09-30-2022, 03:41 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pekelover2 View Post
I hope that I can make it past the two week mark. I’ve binge drink generally once or twice a month. And this is where I run into trouble! But I’m working on my sober mind set.
It certainly is all about mindset. So don't hope, Peke. You will make it past this time. Why? Because you are no longer a drinker.
Old 09-30-2022, 03:50 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Lixie - good for you! good luck and let us know how it goes.
FF - glad you are still trying, but let's make this your last day 1! Whatever it takes. Hit meetings, lean on your family, come on here. Meditation and exercise are essential for me too, so keep that up.
Old 09-30-2022, 05:43 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Lixie! Oh my word--I don't have PTSD and I would have felt the same way--that is unacceptable and unprofessional. So glad you reported it. I've been dealing with a bully at work who is similar to this, although less so, and I will not put up with it. He isn't my boss though which makes it easier. I wish you the best.

FF--glad you are back, just ease back into the running as you do, your pace will drop. You sound like you are in a good place with the meetings, cooking dinner, applying for work--all good stuff.

Welcome AJ! I'm right behind you with 11.

Peke-stay strong, I've been in the same boat as you that I'll get 14 or so days in and then binge drink so I am cautiously looking forward to the next week of being sober(and beyond a week, too.)

Have a great day all, and hey to everyone I missed.

Old 09-30-2022, 08:24 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

😊 AJ1 Welcome to the Class that shatters the alcohol impasse (Ok I'm corny with the rhyme jazz, nevermind)

FF I hope you can get the job you like. I know but sometimes the job you get is the one you need and not necessarily like. Still, things just may work out for the best all way around 😊 12 days is fabouious.

😊 Nice, asserting yourself even though you had to push through PTSD symptoms. I have learned not to expect people/friends/family to remember I have a mental illness, even when I have told them a thousand times. They still act like I am the smartest, bravest, strongest person in the room. I'M NOT geeze, like not this s*it again.

😊 Peke Keep managing those PTSD symptoms. I find when I am very symptomatic (I have 3 mental disorders + addiction) drinking is just around the corner.

Up late this morning to much ADD + coffee last night. So only 3/4
cuppa so far. Day 42 and got to pay the rent Scooby dooby doo and it is off to the (>‿◠)✌ races.

Synergistic. When I combine all my disorders (4 of the beauties) and add them up, I do not get: 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 = 4. I get: 1 +1 + 1 + 1 = 36.Q or something just off the handle. If recovering wasn't a challenge by itself, mental illness can make the whole shebang a jumble of chaos. That's why I have to be vigilant and prepared to put maximum effort just to feel half function in recovery/life Taint easy, Got to go with the ups and the down. The sober road can be freighting for me at times.

"You can't think your way into a new way of living...you have to live your way into a new way of thinking."

Old 09-30-2022, 08:27 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Happy sober Friday everyone!!
today is day 14. And today is a Friday. So I’m scared. I tend to drink on day 12-15 and on a Friday.

Gosh Lixie…please let us know how it went!! Check back asap…that’s not acceptable

As always Sam…we’re twins. Trying to push through todays thank you so much for the support and the encouragement.
Thank you Gibby!
Freedom…yesterday I was huffing and puffing on my run…and I was 13 days out. Give your body time to heal. Proud of you for running as far as you did!! Jeeze!!!
Thank you Dee for always giving me great strength and advice.
Going to be posting a lot here today. No one needs to answer. But you guys are like a security blanket!!
Old 09-30-2022, 08:50 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Welcome AJ and FF! Congrats on day 1 FF

Lixie - way to stick up for yourself and students!

Peke - keep it going. You don’t want to go back to the misery of the binge cycle

I am checking in on Day 5. Haven’t slept well at all this week so I am feeling tired/stressed. I’m determined to check in tomorrow on day 6 though. I really wish I could exercise but foot/ankle injury won’t allow that. Meditation and reading will have to suffice as healthy distractions tonight.

Happy Friday all
Old 09-30-2022, 10:23 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  
Administrator

Lixie, how did the meeting go? I'm sorry you were treated so poorly by the principal.

Peke, keep thinking about your sober evening, and keep moving forward. Do you have plans for the weekend? I hope you have some enjoyable things planned. It's going to be a beautiful Fall weekend here, so I will be out walking.

FF, good job on Day 1.
Old 09-30-2022, 03:03 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Hi all-
Another drop in by me. All good, not worried about drinking but wanted to just "see" everyone.

Also, today is my birthday! I wasn't going to mention it--I didn't want anyone(or myself haha) to think I was going to drink to celebrate or anything BUT I am saying it because it occurred to me that I can spend the next whole year of my life sober! How cool is that, right? It's a nice jumping off point.

It was a good day--first in the gym, then taking the day for myself--cooked an early dinner and will have birthday dessert later.
Tomorrow I am going out w friends, but they aren't drinkers-I love that I found new friends who aren't drinkers--thank you to the Universe/God(des) for that.
Peace, all!

Old 09-30-2022, 03:12 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Welcome AJ! It’s good to have you here.
FF let’s make tomorrow day two. I’m thinking of you.
Lixie, I hope that things went well…?

I feel sad and heavy. By heavy I feel overweight. I looked in the mirror and I don’t like what I see. But if I drink tonight, I’ll have all of that plus I’ll be hungover. I’m trying to distract myself.

Deep breathing. Smiling a lot. Singing too.

My husband works the next three evenings. All twelve hours shifts. The least that I can do it to be sober. I want for him to trust me. No.
I want to trust myself.
Old 09-30-2022, 03:19 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

• Peke--you got this! Distract yourself-cause you know how the tape will end, and it's no bueno, for sure.
  • Basset-I hope you sleep tonight.
  • Hey Gibby!
  • Welcome AJ! I think you are a day ahead of me.
  • Zen-I love your Halloween picture, I'm trying to steal it for my signature as well, but it's not cooperating!