Notices

Class of January 2022 Part 2

Old 02-08-2022, 09:14 PM
  # 441 (permalink)  

80 days is awesome Scott! You sure have a wide temperature range where you live! I’m not a big fan of the cold, so I quite like living in the tropics, although the heat and humidity gets a bit intense in the monsoon season 🥵

Old 02-08-2022, 11:16 PM
  # 442 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Scott2295 View Post
Hi everyone- checking in on day 80. I enjoyed the temp talk. Our temps here in Wisconsin range from -20F (-28C) to 95F (35C) during the year. You get used to it but as I get older I don’t like to cold as much. Weather is always a topic of conversation here. Glad to see all the activity here.
Congrats on day 80 Scott, that's awesome!

I'm in Southern Ontario so the same latitude as you and the same temp range. I find both extremes harder to handle as I get older, the cold end a little worse. Luckily I still acclimate pretty well so I just get out in it, deal with it and find ways to enjoy it
Old 02-09-2022, 12:31 AM
  # 443 (permalink)  

Good luck with the new job, Chance - congrats on 80 days, Scott.
I'm at my desk - only got till June and then I'll be retired and hopefully 6 months sober.

But, I am only doing 2 days a week anyway...

But then, it's in my head 7 days a week...
Old 02-09-2022, 10:40 AM
  # 444 (permalink)  

Hey all-
Good to "see" everyone. This temperature thing had me running to google to convert Celsius to Fahrenheit!

And holy moly Colin and Scott, those are some swings from one season to the other. I do like Wisconsin, though(and yes I have been there when it was 14F in November.)
Old 02-09-2022, 11:28 AM
  # 445 (permalink)  

Hi Sam.
Old 02-09-2022, 12:43 PM
  # 446 (permalink)  

Hi Sam

Colin I think getting out in it and enjoying it no matter what the weather is a great attitude. As long as you have the right clothes and the right gear to deal with the weather. I really struggle in the cold, but I’d love to try snow skiing, so I would need to get some good warm clothes for it. We were planning to go to New Zealand last year in the winter and go skiing, but Covid meant the borders shut. They’re still shut, but hopefully one day we’ll be able to get there.

Em I know what you mean about thinking about work even when you’re not there. I have a big tendency to do that too, although I’m trying to learn to switch off in my downtime. But speaking of which, I need to go and get organised for work soon….

Happy day everyone
Old 02-09-2022, 02:06 PM
  # 447 (permalink)  

Hey everyone!

Nice day here, just my usual work - music - training, but feel lucky to do things I love everyday, even if most of my hours are spent working.

God, this weather talk sounds cold! I grew up a tropical boy but been in the UK too long to remember it. It’s been quite a mild winter so not too bad!

Em - you must be looking forward to retiring, any great plans?

Feeling very in synch with sobriety at the moment, not focusing too much on the count to avoid getting complacent, but it’s great to feel light, I remember last time that “month 3” was the one when I really felt good, looks like it’s heading that way again

Really glad everyone is still in this class, and welcome back Sam, how are things there?

Bed time here, early start tomorrow!

P
Old 02-10-2022, 10:34 AM
  # 448 (permalink)  

Really fed-up tonight, Gang. It's all my own fault. I'm doing one of my last work 'Gigs' and I really resent the travelling, so wife and I decided to make a holiday of it and we're in a cottage from tomorrow night, here in Wales, after I've done the workday tomorrow. BUT tonight we're staying in a pub - big mistake, guys!!! - I haven't drunk anything and I won't, but we're going down to dinner in 15 minutes and I'm dreading it. Soft lighting, clinking glasses, gourmet food and a quality wine list - WTF was I thinking of!!! I don't need this when I'm just 6 weeks sober. It's put me in a real bad mood which isn't nice for my wife, or the dogs either, come to think of it. We just spent hours wandering down the seafront - anything to stay out of the bar - sitting in the room now - can't face the resident's lounge this early in sobriety. Anyway, got to go now. Wish I was safe at home. I'll post later. Please send strength through the ether.

Hope you're all chilling and relaxing - retirement will have to be quite active, I think Mr P! I don't want too much time on my hands.

Note to self: STAY OUT OF PUBS!
Old 02-10-2022, 10:41 AM
  # 449 (permalink)  

Em.....are you still in your room? s

How about asking your wife to order you something and bring it back to the room? xxxx

And we are with you.....you are going to be ok.
Old 02-10-2022, 12:44 PM
  # 450 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope you got through it OK Enemdio
D
Old 02-10-2022, 12:54 PM
  # 451 (permalink)  

Hope dinner went well Em. From experience once you go past the first few minutes it becomes natural and better.

Sending good vibes from here.
Old 02-10-2022, 01:28 PM
  # 452 (permalink)  

Em we’re all with you for support. I hope you managed ok. I have been in similar situations and it sucks! My family has this tradition of going to the local pub to celebrate birthdays, so it happens fairly frequently. The next one is coming up soon, and I feel some anxiety beforehand in the lead up to it.
Let us know how you are.

Em & Mr P I agree about keeping busy in retirement. And I can think of lots of things I’d like to do that I don’t currently have time for
Old 02-10-2022, 02:02 PM
  # 453 (permalink)  

Enemdio - I hope your dinner was ok. Sounds like a tough position to be in.
Old 02-10-2022, 11:56 PM
  # 454 (permalink)  

Morning all - thanks for the support - I'm still sober and 'Safely' at work. It wasn't that I was in danger of drinking (I don't think) I was just miserable and annoyed at myself for booking into a pub at 6 weeks' sobriety. The meal was actually OK and I slept very well last night.

Hope all's OK with everyone else - 6 weeks today, Willow! 6 weeks tomorrow Chancellor!
Old 02-11-2022, 02:59 AM
  # 455 (permalink)  

That s awesome Em!

Did you also feel great at the end of evening and morning? Like a lot better than if you had drank?

This always happens to me so just wondering.
Old 02-11-2022, 03:49 AM
  # 456 (permalink)  

Congrats on 80 days Scott and 6 weeks Enemdio and Willow!!!

Thank you everyone about the new job, it is going well! It's always hard at the start but it really has been going well! Looking forward to heading into my 6th sober weekend!
Old 02-11-2022, 05:44 AM
  # 457 (permalink)  

Morning everyone. Glad the dinner went well Em. Congrats on 6 weeks Em, Chancellor and Willow. Great milestone. One of the things I’ve noticed this time is that my resolve to stay sober has grown tremendously and I’ve not forgotten the mental and physical suffering I’ve endured while drinking. This is really important to me. One of the things the brain does is try to forget bad stuff and it takes work to keep it fresh. Reading and posting here really helps. I often wondered why long time sober people are still around SR and now I know. Have a great day folks.
Old 02-11-2022, 09:53 AM
  # 458 (permalink)  

Afternoon everyone

Lots to catch up on for me.... Local weather report, the coldest I've experienced in Nova Scotia is -30C, hottest just over 40C + high humidity, I did experience -60C once further east - bonkers. The most bizarre thing being coastal is the wild temperature swing, we have seen up to a 30C swing over night (-20 to +10).

I'm really happy to see numbers increasing for many - Em, Willow, Chance, Scott, Calm, MrP, Sam, Colin... hope I didn't miss anyone.

Em - glad you got through your tough evening - like you, I work 2 days a week - or the "reverse week" as I call it. Never seems to be well received in the office when I finish on Tuesday evening and wish everyone a nice weekend...

Scott - totally agree on sticking around long term - day 56/8 weeks for me or as it should be known "the danger zone" - a failure point more than once in the past.

Have a great weekend all...
Old 02-12-2022, 03:07 AM
  # 459 (permalink)  

Yes RM, it's very nice to see so many of us adding up af days. Wishing everyone another sober weekend
Old 02-12-2022, 11:08 AM
  # 460 (permalink)  

Hi Gang, Day 2 of the holiday - walked pretty much all day to tire ourselves out - 7pm now, going to watch a cycle touring programme. Weather here is horrific - rain and high wind all day - luckily, we have good wet weather gear or we'd be housebound. First 'Dry' holiday in 8 years. Think I'm coping OK.

Hope you're all good - things a bit quiet here?