Notices

Class of July 2021 Support Thread Part One

Old 07-09-2021, 10:28 AM
  # 241 (permalink)  
KLC

I am doing ok. Started kind of getting shaky so decided that I do need to taper. I have had 1 today and that seemed to calm everything down so I won't have anymore unless I start feeling the shakiness come on again. I just found out that my employer sold the company and I will be out of a job the end of August, but that really isn't too devastating. I haven't worked for the better of the past 3 years anyway. At least I have a heads up to find another job!

I am coming on here and reading posts everyday and I find it so helpful....so a huge THANK YOU to all of you on SR! This is a wonderful community! I have joined a few ZOOM AA meetings throughout COVID, but I didn't find them helpful at all! Most of the people were just there to get their card signed for their probation and not actually interested in getting sober for the long haul.

Hugs to you all!!
Old 07-09-2021, 10:35 AM
  # 242 (permalink)  

I wonder if it is worth talking to your doctor about tapering dear KLC.
I guess I worry that you have had a couple of sober days and now a drink...is it tapering or is it going to take you back to 1-2 pints a day.
Not being negative.really.... maybe a bit nosy though s
Old 07-09-2021, 11:27 AM
  # 243 (permalink)  
KLC

I don't take that as negative or nosy. Concern is a good thing and I appreciate it! My doc said that I can get through this again (which I know I will), but actually suggested if I start to feel shaky, I should have just enough alcohol to stop the shakes and as long as I don't get drunk again, it should only take a day or 2 to be on the mend. My doc knows about my previous alcohol use and my experience with detox in a detox facility where I refused to take anything except the BP medication. I will not go back to the 1-2 pints a day; I won't even buy enough to do that.
Old 07-09-2021, 11:30 AM
  # 244 (permalink)  

Its the evening of day 9 now. Today was better than yesterday, I felt less tense although that late afternoon edginess was still pretty strong, I just kept thinking about how sick I was the last time and about how I dont want to drink no matter what and I pushed through. I know that this will lessen and eventually be just a minor nag every now and again once I get some time under my belt but I also know I need to focus on one day at a time too and not try to plan too far or get ahead of myself.
Glad to be sober and hope everyone has a good sober 24
Old 07-09-2021, 11:52 AM
  # 245 (permalink)  

I hear you dear KLC ~ and what an awesome doctor you have. ❤️

Phil ~ you are so right, every day sober it gets better. And soon you won't feel that edgy feeling in the afternoons. ❤️
Old 07-09-2021, 02:07 PM
  # 246 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi KLC

in my experience feeling crummy is impossible to avoid when quitting drinking.
You will feel better tho after a few days sober.

I realise it’s your doctors advice (tho they may have meant mouthfuls not whole glasses).

I’d be wary of drinking again to feel ok, cos that has the potential to drag you back in…we all know that after that first drink, good intention often goes out the window and anything can happen.

D

Old 07-09-2021, 02:14 PM
  # 247 (permalink)  

I've never even heard of a doctor suggesting that. Most of the time you would be prescribed an anti anxiety/alcohol craving reduction medication.
Old 07-09-2021, 03:17 PM
  # 248 (permalink)  

So many doctors are truly clueless about addiction. I hope it works for you, KLC! Sending a big hug.
I had the worst ever craving tonight. I mean it. It was the worst. I was hungry. I had a lot of chaos going on, too. I was going to call you Suze, but I was driving. I stopped and got a burger. I still feel off and yes, a little shaky. I want to cry. I have to walk Charley. I yelled at him! I never do that, he's so sweet. But I said Just Give Me and F-ing minute! I told him I was sorry and petted him, and as dogs do, he totally forgave me. But, now we must walk. I'll be back later. Sober! Thank God.
Old 07-09-2021, 03:19 PM
  # 249 (permalink)  

Oh gosh honey. SO much love. And well done....and Charlie knows you are stressed and will forgive you.
And maybe we can chat tomorrow? xxxxxx ❤️
Old 07-09-2021, 03:22 PM
  # 250 (permalink)  

Hi KLC. I thought I might have to taper off because of the amount I was drinking daily for years, and the potential for major problems with detox. Only beer but probably enough for five people. I maybe should have gotten medical advice but I can be foolish. My wife keeps an eye on me so if something were to happen the emergency room is only a few minutes away. After five days nothing but mild symptoms and lack of sleep. So far...
Old 07-09-2021, 03:44 PM
  # 251 (permalink)  

Thanks so much, Suze. I will call you tomorrow. I don't contact many people by phone because they all want to text and it is really hard for me. Typing has gotten much easier, though.
I'm going to make it through. I swear, that one was just soul piercing! Not to make too much of it, I know we all go through it. But sheesh!
Old 07-09-2021, 03:53 PM
  # 252 (permalink)  

You should be mega proud of yourself. xxxxxxxxxxxx
And I hear you re texting....it makes me sad. I like to actually talk and connect. ❤️
Old 07-10-2021, 06:01 AM
  # 253 (permalink)  

Sober369 - I was also hit with a major craving yesterday. I was very close to having the f**its and go have one day of drinking wine. I sat w/ my car running for 30 min until I finally reached out to someone in AA to talk some sense into me. Today will be a better day! KCB

Phil - Congrats on day 10!

KLC - Im glad you are here! I also do online zoom meetings..I found a couple 24/7 meetings that are really good.

Me, I'm still experiencing GI pain and headaches but grateful that my symptoms are mild. I am *super* grateful for SR, AA, and the women in recovery that hold me up when I'm feeling down here in the sober living house I'm in.

I love you all and have a Happy Sober Saturday!

Old 07-10-2021, 06:09 AM
  # 254 (permalink)  

I'm so glad you made it through sober, KTB! And glad we both did. I hate, hate, hate those moments. I get confused in my mind. I know they go away, or at least the intensity fades a lot. Every time we make it through, we are stronger.
Sober Saturdays are awesome.
Have a great one, all of you!
Old 07-10-2021, 07:32 AM
  # 255 (permalink)  

Hi all

Glad you both made it through the cravings Sober369 and KGB and yes getting through them will make you stronger. I'm also grateful for SR and AA. I had a really intense craving around day 10 or so and I still remember it well. I went for a walk and my mind just felt insane hard to describe exactly, the walk did help and also speaking to another AA member did also. It hasn't occurred since though thank goodness and I am on day 49 now. It is particularly good to be sober on Saturdays and I hope everyone has a great day. If anyone has cravings or troubles of any kind always better to reach out here or speak to another sober alcoholic before taking any action. A lesson I learned the hard way several times.
Old 07-10-2021, 07:56 AM
  # 256 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by someday147 View Post
Hi all

Glad you both made it through the cravings Sober369 and KGB and yes getting through them will make you stronger. I'm also grateful for SR and AA. I had a really intense craving around day 10 or so and I still remember it well. I went for a walk and my mind just felt insane hard to describe exactly, the walk did help and also speaking to another AA member did also. It hasn't occurred since though thank goodness and I am on day 49 now. It is particularly good to be sober on Saturdays and I hope everyone has a great day. If anyone has cravings or troubles of any kind always better to reach out here or speak to another sober alcoholic before taking any action. A lesson I learned the hard way several times.
You're on day 49?! That's fantastic!
Old 07-10-2021, 08:02 AM
  # 257 (permalink)  

Hope you're all enjoying your Saturdays! Sober.

I'm in bed for the day, it was insecticide, fungicide, pesticide, whatever day yesterday so Benadryl did a number on my stomach.. fun. I'll just read along while you all post
Old 07-10-2021, 08:05 AM
  # 258 (permalink)  

Hi all, just a quick check in as I start day 13. I'm feeling Really Good today, which can be problematic. I did take a ride to the grocery store and managed to skip the wine aisle and detoured around my favorite liquor store on the way back home. I guess that's a good start to the weekend. Gonna try to keep busy in the yard and garden today since it's a beautiful sunny day. Have a good one everyone.
Old 07-10-2021, 09:32 AM
  # 259 (permalink)  

Hi all, happy Saturday.
I had some thoughts of buying some fruity drinks I've been seeing people with yesterday evening. Got through with a fantastic sober person in my corner and a big cheesecake. ❤
So happy to wake up sober today.
My oldest son is playing on an aau basketball team this summer and we have games later today and tomorrow a few hours away. It'll be nice to have something to keep us busy indoors since it's really rainy here today. Plus no booze at the gym venue.

Countrysix congrats on 13 days!
Well done on day 49 someday!
Old 07-10-2021, 09:33 AM
  # 260 (permalink)  

I hope your stomach settles soon Kitten!