Notices

Class of January 2021 part 4

Old 01-27-2021, 04:41 PM
  # 101 (permalink)  
Administrator

NA beer bought me undone.
This was before I quit for good but one of my quit attempts utilised NA Beer. I drank them like the real thing, in social setting like the real thing ...same little rituals and behaviours....and really missed the buzz.

Soon I was swapping out one of my NAs for the real thing..then another...soon I was back to real beer.

There must be hundreds of drinks out there that don't remind you of your tipple of choice, and I'd recommend those to everyone at this point in recovery.

D
Old 01-27-2021, 06:35 PM
  # 102 (permalink)  

So kinda like last night, went on a neighborhood walk with the kiddos. Lots of fun, but everyone has a beer or drink. Now one of the families is hanging out for a bit having drinks with the hubby and visiting with us while the kids run around And scream. All great and dandy and I'm glad the kids get to see each other, but I feel awkward. Its totally on me, no one is making me uncomfortable, i guess it is just new feeling. I don't want to drink at all though, so there is that.
Old 01-28-2021, 02:52 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Checking in on day 28.
Old 01-28-2021, 03:17 AM
  # 104 (permalink)  

Day 27, almost a full month now. Very proud to have finally gotten to this point after going back and forth for months. I hope more sober months follow
Old 01-28-2021, 03:27 AM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Good morning Jans.

I used to be super uncomfortable and feel awkward not drinking. Some people would say “you’re not drinking?” And I’d respond with a no or a no thanks. If they asked why or come back with something like that I would say “I just don’t want one... but I will have a...”

rarely did anyone push it. If they did, I would go with what was said here before “ I’m taking a break”... and usually those people are having some issues with alcohol themselves.

over time, no one says anything because they see me as a person who doesn’t drink all the time when everyone else is. It’s very liberating.

as time goes on, I feel more comfortable saying no thanks. I enjoy my soda. Enjoy being clear headed. Enjoy not saying something stupid or making a fool of myself. Enjoy being a role model for my kids. Enjoy the conversation and have a nice time.

...and I always enjoy waking up hangover free...ready to slay the day!!!

have a great day everyone!

B
Old 01-28-2021, 03:57 AM
  # 106 (permalink)  

Checking in on day 4. I've got a busy weekend ahead of me which is good as it's what I need at this point to keep me busy and to help keep my mind on other things.
Old 01-28-2021, 04:02 AM
  # 107 (permalink)  

I am checking in and will maintain my sobriety today 😁
Old 01-28-2021, 04:12 AM
  # 108 (permalink)  

Early morning here. Today is my Endo / Colonoscopy. Sucks getting prepped for the procedure. I am anxious about the results. Its the right thing to do. Get a full report on my GI health and move forward. More motivation not to drink.
Old 01-28-2021, 04:27 AM
  # 109 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WhiskeyBent View Post
Early morning here. Today is my Endo / Colonoscopy. Sucks getting prepped for the procedure. I am anxious about the results. Its the right thing to do. Get a full report on my GI health and move forward. More motivation not to drink.
good for you! I know it's nerve racking, but better to know and deal with it head on. I hope it all goes well for you.
Old 01-28-2021, 04:35 AM
  # 110 (permalink)  

I used to wake up early mornings with my heart pounding, anxiety ridden, and thirsty. I would lay in bed piecing the night before together, did i do anything stupid? Did i say too much? Why does my (insert body part) hurt? Did i fall or bump into something? Now i sill wake up around 4am or so, but it is in peace. Although I did wake up from a drinking dream, probably from the last two days of social triggers, it was still nice to wake up sober and not anxiety ridden. Hope everyone has a sober Thursday
Old 01-28-2021, 04:37 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  

Checking in Day 23. Long day of work ahead.

YAY for everyone building sober time here. Keep counting up.

Good luck with your test today WB.
Old 01-28-2021, 05:10 AM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Awesome posts! s

I hope you have a great Thursday dear BTG and aII of you.

And I am sending Iove dear WB....hope the medicaI stuff is over fast and you get good resuIts. s
Old 01-28-2021, 06:19 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  

Checking in on Day 17. Yesterday was hard: super stressful day at work, and was so tempted to drown it all out with a drink. I did not. Played the tape through to what would be the awful end(waking up anxious, ashamed, sick, fuzzy-headed, etc...) and that worked. Obviously, this is going to take some time to get past these triggers.

Also--I got a shipment yesterday from a wine club I belonged to--last one. I hustled it downstairs to the basement, but oddly it didn't trigger me at all. I'll give the bottles as gifts. It was like a reminder of what my past life was like.

Good luck with the tests today WB. And everyone, good job on working on the sober life!
Old 01-28-2021, 06:43 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  

Sorry you had a tough day dear Samwitch, but so weII done getting through that! s
Old 01-28-2021, 07:38 AM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BEELS View Post
Good morning Jans.

I used to be super uncomfortable and feel awkward not drinking. Some people would say “you’re not drinking?” And I’d respond with a no or a no thanks. If they asked why or come back with something like that I would say “I just don’t want one... but I will have a...”

rarely did anyone push it. If they did, I would go with what was said here before “ I’m taking a break”... and usually those people are having some issues with alcohol themselves.

over time, no one says anything because they see me as a person who doesn’t drink all the time when everyone else is. It’s very liberating.

as time goes on, I feel more comfortable saying no thanks. I enjoy my soda. Enjoy being clear headed. Enjoy not saying something stupid or making a fool of myself. Enjoy being a role model for my kids. Enjoy the conversation and have a nice time.

...and I always enjoy waking up hangover free...ready to slay the day!!!

have a great day everyone!

B
This makes quite alot of sense we tend to forget thanks for the reminder, I will definetly use this 😀
Old 01-28-2021, 10:33 AM
  # 116 (permalink)  

I'm back. Wouldn't it be nice to never have to 'come back' again. I have no excuses and I am just so damn tired of this. I'm tired of feeling this shame and regret.

Day 1.

Just typing this message is relieving.
Old 01-28-2021, 10:35 AM
  # 117 (permalink)  

Welcome back dearest Jojo s xx ❤️
Old 01-28-2021, 10:47 AM
  # 118 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
Welcome back dearest Jojo s xx ❤️
Thanks Venus. I'm terrified about tonight and have no plan. It was the same bargaining again this morning. I'll just join the Feb class cause it's almost the end of the month, blah blah blah. So far starters I'm going to go back and start reading posts. Tonight I will be on this site, reading posts and if I can't sleep then I will continue to read. That's the only plan I have right now.
Old 01-28-2021, 10:56 AM
  # 119 (permalink)  

OK.....what about dinner?
Do you have it organised.....might be better if you don't have to cook at wine o cIock. s
And maybe a movie or a new show.....something to keep you occupied when you are not on SR. xx
And do you keep water in the fridge? Or cranberry or orange juice maybe?

Just some thoughts. xx ❤️
Old 01-28-2021, 11:05 AM
  # 120 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
OK.....what about dinner?
Do you have it organised.....might be better if you don't have to cook at wine o cIock. s
And maybe a movie or a new show.....something to keep you occupied when you are not on SR. xx
And do you keep water in the fridge? Or cranberry or orange juice maybe?

Just some thoughts. xx ❤️
Oh these are good, thank you! My witching hour is 7-10 pm. So supper is a great idea, that is well outside of that time. I think I'll make spaghetti as I have everything I need and won't have to go out. It's safer for me to stay in because the urge to hit the liquor store. I do have some tea that I bought a few weeks back to have on hand to drink in place of alcohol. The boxes have not even been opened. I got my water bottle out and ready to use. I will get some alternatives like juice etc when I go out next. I am watching Yellowstone right now, so that will be my show for tonight. I have enough streaming services that I should always be able to find something to watch.