Notices

Class of January 2021 part 4

Old 01-25-2021, 05:18 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

There is onIy one Iine in that poem I can't work out.....my mum was Scottish.

Robbie ~ that kind of drinking scares me....and I can hear it scares you too.
So maybe add some tooIs here....pIaying the tape forward, and coming here to taIk to us. s ❤️
Old 01-25-2021, 05:20 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

silversky, I've read some articles here at SR and elsewhere about AV. If it's just a little AV then I can cope with it. However I obssess with things, always have done, and when the AV kicks in with a loud voice I just can't seem to distract myself enough. I know if I really tried then I could cope with the AV as I have done so before but those times are a rarity.

I've got a decorator coming to my house to do my house from top to bottom starting next Monday and it will probably take 3 to 4 weeks to get everything done. During that time I won't be able to drink as when I do drink I binge drink for three or four days and I can't do that when I've got someone coming to my house for 4 or 5 days a week for up to a month. I'm hoping this gets me through the first three weeks when my cravings are at their worst (the worst point for me is usually at around 10 to 14 days).
Old 01-25-2021, 05:26 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Obsession is soooo much worse when drinking and in early days, Robbie.

It gets better but it does take some time and suffering through the discomfort of the spinning brain. It is bad in early days. Can you plug in to some online AA meetings?

I had daily lists and plans. I listened to quiet music. I shopped, prepped, cooked and cleaned up. I did projects. I took walks - every day - in the rain. I'm in Seattle so it rains a lot.

That obsession/compulsion is fueled by alcohol. Seriously.

I don't drink. No matter what. No thought, no other person, no situation.
Old 01-25-2021, 05:30 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
There is onIy one Iine in that poem I can't work out.....my mum was Scottish.

Robbie ~ that kind of drinking scares me....and I can hear it scares you too.
So maybe add some tooIs here....pIaying the tape forward, and coming here to taIk to us. s ❤️
I really am scared because it's putting my health in jeopardy. I also smoke heavily when I'm drinking. If I don't drink then I don't smoke. It's weird because I never crave a cigarette until I drink.

Because I've done all my drinking the last 3 days at home I know exactly how much I have drank. In my bin there are 7 boxes of (empty) lager cans. Each box contains 10 cans so that's 70 cans of lager from Friday 1.30pm until last night at 11.55pm. I hate to think how many units of alcohol that works out as being. It's totally unhealthy and mixed with the smoking it's a recipe for a heart attack or stroke. I've already had a heart attack, in 2010. I'm very surprised I haven't had another. Because of how much I drink I'm overweight. When I go for long periods without a drink I sometimes lose weight. I never drank from the end of October to mid December last year and lost three quarters of a stone simply by not drinking, wtahcing what I was eating and going for walks.

I should do what you suggest, not only play the tape forward (I sometimes do this anyway with mixed success) and come to SR and post. I just wish I could cope with the cravings. Or better still, I wish I never got them in the first place.
Old 01-25-2021, 06:02 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Robbie64 View Post
Sigh. Day 1 again. I'm sick of feeling rough and sick of these day 1s. I woke up feeling fine on Friday then got hit by a massive craving around noon. I resisted it for an hour then caved in and bought alcohol. I was drinking non-stop up to last night, apart from the times when I was asleep. I need to put a stop to this as I had a liver function test a fortnight ago and the results were horrendous. It's time to stop drinking and stay stopped. I just wish I could ignore the cravings.
Oh my gosh! I feel for you--I shudder to remember feeling like that. Would you log on here next time you have a craving like that? I'm sure this group will help you getting past the craving stage. We're here for you!
Old 01-25-2021, 06:07 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Obsession is soooo much worse when drinking and in early days, Robbie.

It gets better but it does take some time and suffering through the discomfort of the spinning brain. It is bad in early days. Can you plug in to some online AA meetings?

I had daily lists and plans. I listened to quiet music. I shopped, prepped, cooked and cleaned up. I did projects. I took walks - every day - in the rain. I'm in Seattle so it rains a lot.

That obsession/compulsion is fueled by alcohol. Seriously.

I don't drink. No matter what. No thought, no other person, no situation.
I missed this post before.....this is an AWESOME post dear bim.
Very sound advice. s ❤️
Old 01-25-2021, 06:42 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I've got a decorator coming to my house to do my house from top to bottom starting next Monday and it will probably take 3 to 4 weeks to get everything done. During that time I won't be able to drink as when I do drink I binge drink for three or four days and I can't do that when I've got someone coming to my house for 4 or 5 days a week for up to a month. I'm hoping this gets me through the first three weeks when my cravings are at their worst (the worst point for me is usually at around 10 to 14 days).
This is brilliant news Robbie. I had recent remodel project (10 days of workers in house) and then redid my home office myself. It has helped keep me sober (day 20). Keep posting too. We all know those obsessions.

Old 01-25-2021, 07:08 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. Monday morning in my corner of the world, and I'm onto conquer day 14 AF. I had an interesting convo with a friend over the weekend who was sorta trying to tell me that I shouldn't quit drinking, that it was "better" to continue to drink and simply moderate. First I was irritated as this person drinks as much if not more than me so clearly understands how drinking can spiral out of control, but then I realized they are probably looking at their own habits and questioning them--using me as a kind of mirror I think.
So, I was less irritated and more sympathetic and just replied with all the benefits I've seen in the last 14 days. Not trying to tell them to stop but just reporting on my situation as a positive especially stressing that I don't miss the drinking lifestyle much at all--which is true--I just think of the horrible after-effects I've not had to deal with over the last two weeks. Is it perfect, no, but the cost-benefit analysis tips heavily toward not drinking.

Hope that wasn't too much of a ramble...
Have a good sober day!
Old 01-25-2021, 07:37 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

14 days is awesome dear Samwitch!! ❤️
Old 01-25-2021, 08:38 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Robbie, glad you stopped drinking snd are back with us today. It’s hard to stop that train from rolling, so you did that. I’m right there with you with bad liver numbers. This is life and death stuff here.

Day 24 here for me. In the past, I didn’t count days. It was too depressing for me if I slipped or relapsed. I recognize now, that for me, that was my lizard brain or AV giving me permission to drink, if only a little, or two at a restaurant, on vacation, etc... It escalates eventually. So, I’m counting my days now.

It’s very helpful to me right now that we can’t socialize much. We have had a couple of zoom happy hours. I was invited to one last week, but was too sick with the flu. My plan is to enjoy my San Pellegrino in a fancy glass next time. If asked, I’ll just say I’m focused on my health after the holidays. The group is too into drinking, that it would be awkward to get into it in a zoom meeting.
Old 01-25-2021, 09:10 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I bet no one notices you are drinking sparkIing water Phoebe Iove s

Congrats on day 24!! ❤️
Old 01-25-2021, 10:30 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
I bet no one notices you are drinking sparkIing water Phoebe Iove s

Congrats on day 24!! ❤️
Thank you, V. 💕

Ehh, they might notice. People will ask what each other has for drinks. “Hey, what are you drinking, Phoebe?” The guys love to talk about their craft beers, and make road trips to places like The Alchemist to stock up and buy for friends. So, I just want to have a plan for moving the conversation along.
Old 01-25-2021, 10:39 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Oh, OK. Got it. s
Old 01-25-2021, 01:56 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Administrator

This is the problem, I don't have any anti drinking plans in place. Or at least ones that work. When I get the urge to drink I do try to distract the thoughts by doing things, either things that need doing in the house or going for a walk. The problem is I don't have an awful lot to do at the moment - the weather has been dreadful for the past fortnight so I can't even go for a long walk - so I sit and let the thoughts grow bigger until I cave in. I've read the urge surfing threads here and there are some very good suggestions but when something gets embedded in my head I find it hard to stop the constant thinking about it.
yeah I found that without anything concrete in place I'd fall back on the default - which was drinking.

Even posting here, instead of drinking, is a basic plan, Robbie?

these are really simple things to help with cravings
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-cravings.html (CarolD's tips for cravings)

use the decorator period as a running start...get up a head of steam

D
Old 01-25-2021, 01:58 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Day 24. Rough day, standing outside feeling dumb cause I locked my keys in my truck and have been waiting an eternity for someone to come unlock. Quite frustrating.
Old 01-25-2021, 01:59 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats Rodyda samwitch and everyone else hitting a milestone today

D
Old 01-25-2021, 02:07 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Checking in on day 7. Things have seemed to settle down on the home front. Thank goodness! After 3 months of fighting, hubby and I finally seem to be on the same page. I have had no desire to drink as if yet, I am sure it will come. But I'm at the point of "i can't drink", which helps cause it makes it not even an option. Hubby is still drinking, but he isn't getting sloppy drunk, really doesn't even act buzzed, which is sad cause I know he's drinking probably a half a fifth instead of a whole fifth plus. Anyway, things are good. Looks like alot of people are hitting, or have hit, some milestones congrats!
Old 01-25-2021, 02:13 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad things are going better for you BtG - congrats on a week

D
Old 01-25-2021, 02:20 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Today is 3 full weeks.

Day to day progress is frustratingly slow, but I'm feeling worlds better than I did 2 weeks ago. Good things take time; reading other peoples stories on here helps keep that in focus so I don't get lost in the day to day.
Old 01-25-2021, 02:22 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Administrator

Way to go P51Dmustang

D