Notices

Class of May 2020 part 11

Old 11-17-2020, 06:28 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  

You can do your own plumbing Karen?
Wow. That is all kinds of impressive. s
Old 11-17-2020, 10:43 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  

I was at a Nordstrom clearance store today. It's a place where they sell leftover inventory from last fashion season or whatever. I bought a pair a dress shoes for $12 which was 95% off the original price of $185. Had I been drinking, I would have spent that $12 on a six-pack of beer. Instead, I made a rational decision and have something to show for it other than 6 empty beer cans!

I guess with office buildings being closed and people working from home, there must have been an abundance of dress shoes leftover since no one needs to wear their suits to work. Even the cashier was shocked the shoes were 95% off and thought it was a mistake.

Bored but sober. That's fine. Much worse things than boredom!
Old 11-17-2020, 10:53 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  

That's a good story WL.
Glad that you got the lovely shoes so cheap, and yes.....so as you can imagine, the two industries that are booming clothing-wise are PJs and slippers.

I actually saw an ad last night on TV for slippers that are "so hip you can wear them when you go out".
Errrr, really?
Old 11-17-2020, 01:18 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  

Well done WL!!! Isn't that the best feeling?!?

I know when I started seeing I had money to "do and have things" again it was a chilling reminder of everything I'd wasted or deprived myself or my family from for years.

Good little rewards re-inforce the best choice you've ever made... NOT drinking!!!

Take care
Old 11-17-2020, 01:35 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  
Coz

Hi everyone

Sorry I haven't posted for a couple of days. Life is keeping me rather busy at the moment. I'm still trying to work on my projects, keep the garden looking nice, doing my volunteer work and now my paid work. I heed your warning Willow, but at the moment I am really enjoying all that I am doing. There have been a couple of evenings that I thought it would be great to finish off with a drink and smoke, but nothing that some dinner and a bit of TV time didn't fix.

Willow - sending hugs and so very proud of you. A weekend of drinking is not such a great outcome, but jumping straight back on the sober journey is really fantastic news. In my last experience of picking up the drink, I felt a lot like a normal drinker in the first few days (or at least not a complete drunk) and I had house guests that drank, so I let my drinking go on for longer - to my detriment big time. Hence, I am really proud of you for knowing that it was a mistake and fixing it straight away. Now to work on fixing the stressors - work and too much drinking around you.

Nmd - great to hear from you again - and great thinking to post a bit more as you work through dates/occasions that have triggered you in the past.

Karen, Hope, Maria, TC, Dig, WL, Suze, Dee and all. Sending hugs and happy wishes.
Old 11-17-2020, 01:43 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  

Hi nmd I really hope your son is ok, and everyone else in the household too.

TC I love big goofy dogs. I used to have one and she was hilarious and adorable

Karen hopefully your water problem is an easy fix... fingers crossed

Those shoes were an absolute bargain WL. I haven’t been clothes or shoes shopping in ages, but I love a good bargain. Although I actually bought a pair of runners/walking shoes online recently. I’m still waiting for them to show up. Hopefully they’ll motivate me to exercise more

Hahaha Suze, “going out” slippers, I love it

Dig I agree, I never used to have any spare money, I spent it all on grog. Goodness knows how much money I wasted over the years, I hate to even think Now I treat myself to things I never would have done in the past. I even used to cut my own hair! Now I love getting a haircut at a hairdressers, it feels like such a treat, especially the head massage

I’m on day 3 and feeling so much better than I was when I woke up on Monday morning. Actually I hardly slept Sunday night because of the awfulness of alcohol in my system, yuk. Not going back there again...
Old 11-17-2020, 01:45 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Hi Coz! Cross posting
Great to see you, I’m glad you’re going ok.
Yes I’m working on both, work stress and minimising people drinking around me where possible...
I am feeling positive
Old 11-17-2020, 01:55 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  

So good to see you dear Coz.
I feel like (other than Dee of course ) you are our voice of reason.
Always so level and inspirational.

s xx

Old 11-17-2020, 01:56 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  

Awesome to see everyone today actually. s
Old 11-17-2020, 02:00 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  
Coz

Thanks Suze - if only it were true
Old 11-17-2020, 02:12 PM
  # 111 (permalink)  

Well, it kind of is....we don't always see our positive traits I don't think.
Especially those of us (me for example) in recovery. ❤️
Old 11-17-2020, 03:15 PM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Everyone sounds really positive here today. Glad to see all my sober classmates. Karen, I hope you got the bathroom situation handled. I wouldn't have a clue what to do.
Willow- you sound like you are back on track and I'm glad you are feeling better. It was just a glitch. Ignore those drunk people.
WL- That's a great deal. Makes me want to head to Nordstrom.
Coz- you sound busy and happy to be busy. Glad you are enjoying your new job.
NMD- glad you see you again. Keep strong next week and may the only reason you pass out be from too much turkey.
TC- nothing like a chilly morning, coffee and doggies.

My refrigerator is working again. Before the repairman got here hubby and I found this little area that had some ice and we melted it. It started cooling again. The repairman checked the seals and such and couldn't figure out what happened. He was really nice and didn't even charge for the service call. I had to go out today and restock everything. I thought of you Venus when I was buying eggs. I can't live without eggs. I realized that yesterday. Just glad I don't have to get a new one right now. I started looking online and it takes a bit to get one delivered. I guess because of Covid- like everything else.

Today is 2 months. Happy to be sober. Ready for 2 years.
Happy sober Tuesday all.
Hope
Old 11-17-2020, 03:30 PM
  # 113 (permalink)  

That is awesome Hope!!! s

Re eggs.....do you have Vital Farm Eggs where you are? I don't know if they are local to me, but gosh they are amazing.
(Off to make omelettes right this second, really. )
Old 11-17-2020, 05:18 PM
  # 114 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on 2 months Hope

D
Old 11-17-2020, 06:59 PM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 2 months Hope! That’s wonderful!
And I’m glad you got your fridge working again!
Old 11-17-2020, 08:27 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  
Free.

Coz, have a granola bar on the way home after work. Should curb any other urges.That and water.
Working construction I would use valiant restraint and save a granola bar or cereal bar for the trip home. Really, really, really helped. Kept me from indulging in some other quick fix. Kept me from getting hangry.

Willow, so glad that you’re feeling a bit better. The decent rest must be nice. Loss of sleep is so torturous.
You’ll just be feeling better and better as the days go on. When there’s a lull, grab a vitamin and a glass of water. It’ll do wonders.

Hope!!! Congrats on two months!!

I hear you on the 2 year thing. Very doable.

Have a good day/evening everyone!

Old 11-17-2020, 08:32 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  
Free.

‘What one can do.....another can do” —Anthony Hopkins “The Edge”
Old 11-18-2020, 02:19 AM
  # 118 (permalink)  

TC yes I’ve been getting the vitamins and water into me.

I’m off to bed , looking forward to another early night and more catch up sleep
Day 3 done and dusted. Goodnight everyone zzzz
Old 11-18-2020, 06:26 AM
  # 119 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. While reading I was surprised to see I haven't posted since yesterday morning. I've been all caught up in this plumbing issue. Turns out the septic tank is full. Yuck. I didn't even know we had one, I thought we were on sewer. Sorry for the gross post, I've been all about this stuff for the past 24 hours. My sons are good with a plumbing snake, not me. But, that wasn't the problem as it turns out.
Hooray for 2 months Hope! Congratulations!
They are coming with a pump in a little bit. Thank heavens for my warranty.
So glad to see you guys are doing well. I'm thinking of you!
Old 11-18-2020, 12:40 PM
  # 120 (permalink)  

We’re on septic too Hope. We have to get it pumped about every 5 years. Stinky. I make sure I’m not home when it’s being done

Not much to report here, I’m still really tired but I’m hopeful that will start to ease by the weekend.
And I’m seriously tempted to spend half the weekend sleeping lol. I had already said I would work every day this week, so I am committed, but only till 3pm each day. And I’m off this weekend and there’s no chance I will be working, so catching up on sleep is sounding blissful to me. Or at least rest, if not sleeping all weekend lol

Day 4 and hopefully a coffee will clear the cobwebs this morning.