Notices

Class of May 2020 part 11

Old 11-13-2020, 01:42 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Coz

Good call Dig. We can't change the past, but we can learn from it - both the good bits and bad bits. We can set a forward path using what we have learnt in a direction we want to head - no doubt with lots of extra learnings along the way. You are an inspiration in doing just this.

So, hugs to you and a big sober high five
Old 11-13-2020, 03:23 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope all is well with Mr Hope, Hope.

Have a good weekend everybody

D
Old 11-13-2020, 04:04 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

It's getting colder and darker earlier. A Canadian winter with a Coronavirus lockdown is going to be a challenge to my sobriety. Particularly Christmas since I will be alone.

No desire to drink now but I am worried about making it through this winter sober. I won't drink today! And do that again tomorrow.
Old 11-13-2020, 04:08 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Administrator

There’ll always be folks around here, WL!!

D
Old 11-13-2020, 04:33 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Coz- that is so beautiful! OMG. You are so talented. I must ask- what is a thicknesser? Aren't you glad you don't have to rush off the zoom call to get a drink. Actually, when I was drinking, I would have definitely been drinking on the call. Uggh the thoughts of times past.

Venus- I’m feeling fine. Just stressed that he is sick. Thank you!

TC- big congrats on 17 weeks. You are rocking and rolling!

Dig- I’m with you. I just don’t see how kids won’t spread it. Because they are kids. I feel so bad for the kids and parents this year. Oh and the teachers. Oh and I know you must be so happy to be on the sober bus when hearing about the person at your work. It is quite scary to think of the things that could happen if we continued to drink.

Karen- thank you and I hope you are rested today and that you got a day without rain. So did we. It was the first day in quite a while. Now if we could just get some cool weather. I heard that another storm is brewing. OMG- this year is just incredible.

Hubby is still feeling bad but maybe a little better later this afternoon. He doesn’t have a fever so that is good. We are trying to keep to separate areas of the house as much as possible. He slept in the guest room last night. I can’t tell you the last time we have not slept in the same bed. It was quite strange. Hoping to get his test back soon. If covid wasn’t around this would be no big deal. He would just be sick. But unfortunately this illness strikes so much fear in all of us. Well maybe not all of us. Some people seem to not really care or even think it’s real.

I’m good though and really appreciate all your well wishes. I had a long dream that I was somewhere with family and had been drinking. When I realized it in my dream I was so upset. Happy to wake up this morning and realize it was a dream. It’s been a while since I’ve had one of those dreams. And I really haven’t had any thoughts of drinking so it was strange.

I hope you all have a wonderful sober night.

Hope
Old 11-13-2020, 07:48 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

WL- I didn't see your post earlier but it's good to see you on here. I hope you can survive Christmas. I know you can. It will be different this year for many of us. Hoping we find a way to get Covid under control and soon.
Old 11-14-2020, 05:09 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

It will be a long winter. Hopefully a safe one. It's tough to be alone during the holidays, too. It's for a good reason though, and if we live through it and stay sober and healthy, we will have done an amazingly wonderful thing to be really happy about next year. Let's all try to be sober, alive and healthy when spring, or fall of course for our down unders, comes in 2021.
Coz, I'll bet you are loving your weekend!
My family are having a few friends over tonight for a bonfire. Now is when we need a good rain!
I will be hiding in my room again. They promise they will use the back gate and not come in the house, but I don't believe it. We shall see.
Old 11-14-2020, 07:35 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Free.

Thanks Karen, for the encouraging words about isolating.
I think you’re right, we can be proud of our actions once this thing clears. We sometimes feel like our resolve is tenuous, but I get the feeling the skies will clear regarding this virus. It feels like we are going over the hump right now.
Hopefully in a few months we can breathe a sigh of relief.

I read an article about the 1918 virus in Calgary. They think it entered the city in April (some folks arriving by rail brought it (?)) by the next April the virus pretty much vanished.
Let’s hope this one decides to vanish in the same fashion.

I’m at 120 days sober today. It sure feels nice.
There have been some interesting occurrences lately. A few days ago a burp had the taste of red wine. Last week I smelled beer for two days. Yesterday an old mickey bottle (1/10 of a gallon) in my freezer used as an ice block set me off some. I opened it in the sink to thaw. I’ll get rid of it today.

This is a tough disease to recover from. I will strive, by whatever means, to increase my day count by one today, getting more distance from the beast.

Have a rested, secure, warm day all!

It snowed about 1 1/2 inches overnight.

Old 11-14-2020, 11:35 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Must admit I didn't quite understand all of that dear TC, but huge congrats on 120 days!!! s ❤️
Old 11-14-2020, 01:49 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 120 days TC! That’s wonderful.

Coz your wishing well on the septic tank is amazing! And planting a garden around it is a lovely idea. We’re on septic here too, and our tank is just a concrete circle, so you’ve given me some ideas

Hope, I hope hubby is on the mend soon.

I have been so busy with work lately, I’ve barely had time to think. Karen I think the aged care places here aren’t having as many visitors due to Covid, so visiting dogs are probably out too.
Suze yes I love labs, they generally have beautiful temperaments too ❤️
Old 11-14-2020, 02:24 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  
Coz

Hi all

Maria - not sure if you are still reading here, but giving you a shout out. You were on my mind a lot of yesterday while I was lifting stuff (yeah, strange association) and thinking how much easier it would be if I got myself into better shape. I really look forward to your next post (when you are ready).

Hope - do you know when the test results might come through? Here in Aus, results are back in two days or less - but I think we are lucky in that space. I really hope that you remain healthy and hubby gets better today. Oh, a thicknesser is a machine that planes timber to a certain depth. Easy to use, but very noisy. And yes, I am so glad I don't have to sit at meetings fidgeting and wondering when I am going to get my next drink or smoke.

Willow - Your work seems to be getting busier! Is it because of the festive season coming up, or does it happen often anyway? Hiding the septic tank has been on my agenda for a while. Google has all sorts of ideas, but I have always had a wishing well fettish. I was going to make a really big one that covered the whole tank, but it was too hard to make it removable or accessible for maintenance, so ended up with a smaller one which I think will look great once I have some plants and ornaments around it. Although planning those has set me on a path to a very challenging project to add to my list.

Karen - I think a sober Christmas and New Year holiday time will be a major milestone for all of us. I haven't had a non-drinking holiday time since I was 4 years old - not too many drinks in those very young years or when I was pregnant, but I have always had a drink or two (or many). This year will be different!
I did giggle at your wish for rain! That would certainly put a dampener on a bonfire!

TC - huge congrats on 120 days of sobriety. It's strange and scary that the time after the 100 day mark seems to throw some serious thoughts or cravings for alcohol. I'm so pleased you are handling them OK and not falling into the trap.
On the weather, it is lovely spring weather here. Hovering in the low 30's (celcius), but humidity is getting up there. Do you get enough snow to ski near home? I haven't been skiing for about five years. I used to love it (not a good skiier though), but it's a long trip from home to find any ski-able snow.

Dee, Suze, everyone in this fabulous May 2020 class - sending hugs and love. Take care....
Old 11-14-2020, 02:25 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Love and good morning dear Coz. ❤️
Old 11-14-2020, 07:04 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  
Free.

Thanks for the congrats everyone! The goal now is 150 days, then 8000.

Yes, Coz, strange how our bodies react to the new situation. Mine lately has been bringing up tastes, smells and vivid reminders of the boozing days. Strange. I like to think of it as un-pickling. All the more strengthening the resolve to remain alcohol free.

‘For us it is poison...” Alcoholics Anonymous

I’m very grateful to be free of the stuff today. For clearheadedness, for feeling well, no headache, no rampant fears, no shakes .............

I knew a family of six: 4 boys and the parents. My father went to school for years with the father. I grew up with the boys. Went 4x4ing, to the lake, and partying with the 2 youngest guys. Alcohol wiped the entire family off the earth (one at a time).

My Dad once commented that Peter (their father) was one of the most intelligent guys he ever knew. They were school age together. This comment really helped me as a young man to see the person, not the disease.
My Dad was just a splendid man.

I hope you all are well and content!

Old 11-14-2020, 07:05 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Wanted to check in and tell everyone that hubbies test back earlier this afternoon as negative! So relieved. Omg. So relieved. He's still feeling yucky but that's ok. We can deal with that. Thanks to you all for your support. Going to watch a movie since we can sleep in the same room again. Have a good night all.
Hope
Old 11-14-2020, 07:10 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Free.

So good to hear Hope!

Old 11-14-2020, 07:23 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  
Administrator

great news Hope!
Congrats on 120 days TC!

D
Old 11-15-2020, 05:02 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Congrats on 120 days TC!! That's just awesome!
Hope, great news on the test. I'm so glad you guys aren't going through the virus!
So sad about that family, TC. But it's good to take notice of things like that. Alcohol is not a beverage, it's a deadly chemical!
The bonfire went fine. There were only three guests and two extra dogs. So I had five dogs to contend with but I stayed in my room and the guests stayed outside. Lots of alcohol but it didn't bother me. I'm so grateful for that! The dogs had a blast, you would have thought we were at six flags.
Now everyone is asleep and I have the house to myself. I think it's odd that I don't feel lonely, that I love this time alone so much. But, I'm glad of it.
Have a wonderful day folks!
Old 11-15-2020, 06:01 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Really glad to hear your husband doesn't have covid dear Hope.

Old 11-15-2020, 12:35 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

I love my alone time too Karen

Hope I’m so glad your hubby doesn’t have Covid. I hope he’s feeling better soon.

Coz I don’t know why work is so busy. I was just discussing that with someone on the weekend, we were wondering why everything was so nuts lately. I’ve been getting really stressed about work and I know I need to do something about it, I’m just not exactly sure what. I’m going to book in to see a counsellor again. It’s been a while and I’m feeling a lot of pressure.

I didn’t help my situation at all by drinking on the weekend
Over 4 months sober and I’m back to day 1. Again.
When am I ever going to learn? I just feel even worse now. I have another busy day ahead at work and I feel even more anxious about it.
I should have recognised the signs. Actually I did recognise the signs, the AV was ramping up it’s attacks, but I didn’t know know what to do about it my (work/life situation). Short of becoming unemployed, and I don’t think that’s a viable solution either.
But drinking won’t solve anything.
I will not drink today.
Old 11-15-2020, 02:17 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  
Free.

Hi Willow, sorry that you drank.

Please stick around. Keep posting.
We are here to listen and share. I understand the work stresses, but have come to know that I’m entirely useless in my occupation if drunk or hungover.

Take good care of yourself.
{hugs}