# 281 (permalink)  
Coz

Congratulations Fallow!

100 days

You are a legend
Old 07-29-2020, 03:46 AM
  # 282 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Coz View Post
Suze, WL and Fallow (and any other class mates that are doing it tough at the moment)....

I share with you a possible cause for your angst - the sturgeon full moon is on its way. It will be in our skies on Monday and sometimes life can be a bit tough in the days leading up to the full moon. So hang in there for now - it will start waning again on Tuesday. And a few fun facts associated with this full moon:
  • The August full moon is called the Sturgeon Moon (Native American names) because the giant sturgeon of the Great Lakes and Lake Champlain were most readily caught during this part of summer.
  • If you glimpse the new Moon over your right shoulder, you will have good luck.
  • To have a project prosper, start it during the new Moon.
  • Clothes washed for the first time in the full Moon will not last long.
  • The best days to give up smoking in the moon cycle are 5, 9 and 27 August.
  • The best days for haircuts are 5 and 6 August (it will grow back slower!).
You are amazing Coz. s

Thank you for the moon info.....good to know. I always get very emotional and out of sorts before the full moon. It may be contributing.

I am hoping I can do some gardening today....it is such a mess plus my landlady is hassling me big time. Again. About the weeds in the brick patio. She is insisting on using poison and I have asked her not to over and over again. It will kill me and what? I have to move all my plants when my ankle is healing? Or they will do it? Just no. But I don't have a choice. Another thing I don't have a choice about.....

.....but seeing that in writing, it sounds very immature. Life has lots of parts where we don't have a choice, and I am very blessed to have all I have. Time to be mindful of that. ❤️
Old 07-29-2020, 04:17 AM
  # 283 (permalink)  
nmd

Hey gang- been a while since I posted. Still doing well sober wise, I really haven't looked back since May. I don't know what is different, but it is. Maybe not focusing on being sober has helped keep me sober? I don't know but I'll take it.

Sorry you are struggling WL. I think it's important to remember that thoughts of drinking are just thoughts. They will pass. I've never felt better giving in to the thought of drinking. Hope things are better today

Been busy with work, gardening and family stuff and trying to keep with an exercise routine Work is still at home, but I can return at any time, I just need to fill out daily attestations that I not ill, etc. I miss the socialization but returning to the office won't be the same as it was back in March. All the meetings will be online still I suspect and socialization will be minimal. It will be a while before things are "normal" again.

I've been struggling to keep up with yard work/weeding and still have some bags of mulch in my driveway I need to lay down. It's the same story every year, I start more projects than I can keep up with. :-D We've had a lot of squash though, beans, peas some cherry tomatoes and chard. Nothing tastes better than fresh tomatoes in season right from the garden. Our blackberries are already done and now my black currant bush is loaded with fruit. I have no idea what to do with currants, I bought the bush on a lark a few years ago. I had some in my oatmeal yesterday and they were pretty good, but definitely tart. Currants were actually banned in the US for many years (blamed for spreading a pine disease) and disappeared from the American diet. I'm thinking I'll make some jam with what I have before the birds get them all.

Hope everyone is doing well. :-)
Old 07-29-2020, 04:18 AM
  # 284 (permalink)  
Coz

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
I am hoping I can do some gardening today....it is such a mess plus my landlady is hassling me big time. Again. About the weeds in the brick patio. She is insisting on using poison and I have asked her not to over and over again. It will kill me and what? I have to move all my plants when my ankle is healing? Or they will do it? Just no. But I don't have a choice. Another thing I don't have a choice about.....
Hey Suze -you might not have a choice, but you could try offering a viable alternative? I don't know what weeds you have on the patio - I am assuming they are broad-leaf, garden variety herbaceous types growing in the cracks between the bricks?

Could you do a sit down job and hand pull them? Not sure if this is an option that would work or not. Alternatively, do a google search for using steam for weed control. It might be a good option for you and you might not have to move many of your plants at all. I have seen a machine in action and it was really impressive. I never got around to making a steamer, but I did use boiling water to manage some weeds growing in cracks in a bitumen driveway quite successfully.

It sounds like your landlady is a bit of a handful when it comes to your garden. Please don't let her get you down - just keep growing beautiful plants and flowers - they make everyone happy.

Old 07-29-2020, 04:24 AM
  # 285 (permalink)  
Coz

nmd - so great to hear from you!
Even better to hear that you are doing really well on the sober journey!

Please drop through when you can to let us know how you are - it is really appreciated.

Take care and enjoy your fresh produce....
Old 07-29-2020, 04:27 AM
  # 286 (permalink)  

I have pulled them all out over and over, but with my ankle I couldn't do it for a few weeks and it is a huge mess again.
I discussed the other ways with her, but she is an 80 year old who refuses to listen to anyone.
She is indeed getting me down....has been for months. Often to the point where I have very evil thoughts.

Old 07-29-2020, 04:30 AM
  # 287 (permalink)  

Hi again dear nmd.

I so agree about the tomatoes.
And apparently growing blackberries is a real skill....I have been told the vines are terrible and wrap around everything.
Not sure if it's true.
Old 07-29-2020, 05:55 AM
  # 288 (permalink)  

Venus, I really feel for you having to deal with this woman. I'm sure she didn't warn you that she came with the house. And garden! I wish you could just move away and take your lovely plants with you. I hope she decides it's too hot outside and stops coming out. Sending hugs.
WL, my heart goes out to you, too. My mother also disliked me. It's a terrible feeling. Success is the best revenge, they say. Since your father is paying your bills, will he pay for you to go to college online? It just seems like you should use this to your advantage. If money is all your family is able to give, then let them give enough to make a difference for you.
Nice to hear from you NMD. I'm glad you're doing well.
I think I'm going to work outside for a little while but come in as soon as it gets hot. There's a big bug eating my tomato leaves. I am terrified of him, but have to go get him off the plant. No way I'm touching him, so I think I'll just cut the part of the plant he's on off and put all of it in the woods.
Old 07-29-2020, 06:24 AM
  # 289 (permalink)  

Gosh what kind of bug is scary? I want to see.

And thank you. s xx

​​​​​
Old 07-29-2020, 06:56 AM
  # 290 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

Thank you Coz!
Good morning all. Woke up super tired.

NMD welcome back! Glad you are still sober 🙂
We are in the same boat with the projects.

I have weeds growing out of control myself Venus! I dislike using weed killer but I don't know what else to do. Pulling them by hand is a full time job.

Hope everyone has a great day
Old 07-29-2020, 07:00 AM
  # 291 (permalink)  

I am going to go pull some now.....but yes, it is ridiculously time consuming. s
Old 07-29-2020, 08:42 AM
  # 292 (permalink)  

Well.....I lost the battle. But my landlord who is going to use the round-up is a gardener and he will be very careful.
Hey....at least I won't have to pull weeds anymore, so that's good.
Old 07-29-2020, 11:52 AM
  # 293 (permalink)  
Free.

Feeling pretty sad and drained. Wife is talking divorce or separation. Has her appointment with lawyers in a a few weeks.
Things are going to get very stressy, I’m sure. I’d rather just hide and be safe. She has asked for couples counselling for quite a while. I guess not having the courage to make a decision has become the decision.

Today, I can make an appointment. The results are not in my hands. I’m sad to be at this place.

Have a good sober day.
Old 07-29-2020, 11:58 AM
  # 294 (permalink)  

Oh gosh TC, I am so sorry. s xx
Maybe it isn't too late.... ❤️
Old 07-29-2020, 02:06 PM
  # 295 (permalink)  

Happy sober Thursday all. I have a few pages to catch up on but I hope you all are doing well. I have an editing project that has almost driven me mad. Very slow going but at least it is a paid project.
Feeling ok. Loving my new watch and trying to get those steps in. Liked it so much I went back and got one for my hubby yesterday. I'll write more once I catch up on the posts.
Dee, first let me wish you a belated birthday! I think it's fun to celebrate your birthday all month. So consider this a virtual birthday cake and hug!
Hope
Old 07-29-2020, 02:12 PM
  # 296 (permalink)  

Oooo, what are you editing dear Hope. s xx
Old 07-29-2020, 02:22 PM
  # 297 (permalink)  

T.C. are you making an appointment with a counselor or an attorney? I'm so sorry, that is truly sad that she is talking about divorce. I hope you can pull together. Big hugs to you.
Venus, it's called a hornworm. They are the same color as the leaves. They are huge with a big horn on top. Horrifying!
I'm glad you got the weed situation settled. Not just how you like, but maybe good enough. I hope he's careful.
Good to see you Hope. I'm glad all is well.
Old 07-29-2020, 02:28 PM
  # 298 (permalink)  
Coz

TC - that is sad news. I really hope that you can turn this around (if that's what you want) and get get an appointment for couples counselling.
You have shared so much together - both good and bad. Counselling will be really useful in having a third party help you both understand what is going on and then for you to both decide if you can continue to make it work.

Sending strength to you. I hope you know that as difficult as this process will be, drinking won't help with the communication or reaching your outcome. It also won't help with the emotional roller coaster or maintaining your health.

Old 07-29-2020, 02:30 PM
  # 299 (permalink)  

Oh......those hornworms are cute as anything.
To me......

But you should see me around bees.
Coming from Aus I run....and people laugh, because they are not aggressive here.
First time I saw a carpenter bee I almost ran back to Australia.

PS.....the whole weed-spraying bit took 10 mins and all of the weeds are still there. Ha ha.
My landlady said, well, you have to do the work to get rid of all the dry weeds now.....sure.....with a broken ankle.
No problem.
Old 07-29-2020, 02:49 PM
  # 300 (permalink)  

Coz- You constantly amaze me with your ability to build. And, you would be an outstanding pet parent. Plus you have such an amazing playground. I can only imagine the dog house you would build. And thank you for the weed info. I have not heard that one but it sounds really interesting.

TC- Congrats on 12 days! I am so sorry about the situation with your wife. Hoping it gets better.

WL- Do you feel like you have completely recovered from Covid. Just wondering. My daughter is still not back to normal. Much better but still exhausted and such. Sorry you are having a rough time.

Venuscat- I feel your pain with the heat and humidity. Causes me to be a hermit. Your landlord is an idiot. Plain and simple. Sorry she is making your life so difficult. I'm editing a video for a company promo.

Fallow- Congrats on 100! So awesome! I adore hot tubs - however most of my memories consist of me sitting in one and have a glass of wine. So I’m staying far away.

NMD- so good to see you back. I’m with you on the taste of fresh grown tomatoes. Mine were doing well but it’s been so hot and humid lately that I think they are on their last leg.

Karen- your grandson is a cutie! I’m glad you figured out how to do the picture thingy. Would love to see your tomato plants.

Have a wonderful day all!

Hope