Notices

Class of May 2020 part 7

Old 07-30-2020, 07:34 AM
  # 321 (permalink)  
Free.

Yes, Karen, I agree. I no longer have any sort of romantic notion of what alcohol can do for me. It is a destroyer in my life. Always has been.
The only hiccups to sobriety have been compulsion, habit, and aloneness.

Compulsion wains a lot after 3 weeks sober. Habit and aloneness are biggies that I’ll have to recognize and develop strategies for.

Have a fine day everyone!
Old 07-30-2020, 12:43 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Speaking of watching out for the funny farm pick-up guys reminded me of something funny we did once when I was taking a group of residents with alzheimer's on a 'scenic ride'. We use to go into the really posh neighborhoods and ooh and ahhh over the houses and landscaping. One day we were turning around at the end of a road and a lady raking her yard got mad and yelled, "This is not a public road!" I pulled up to her yard, opened the doors of the bus, and said, "Your husband sent us to get you!". I hope that doesn't sound mean, it was so funny at the time.
I have been cutting grass again. But, when I started getting really hot I came on in. Last time took me a day and a half to recover from.
Yes, Venus, we all react differently to alcohol. I didn't mean that everyone feels that way, of course. It's the instant escape and relaxation that called to me and still does on occasion. It helps me to remember that.
Old 07-30-2020, 12:53 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  

oh yes......escape.....big time.....just no relax for me with booze.....I mean there wasn't. It was like I was on uppers.....I know someone else who had the same experience with alcohol.

And that story is hysterical Karen. s ❤️
Old 07-30-2020, 01:57 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  

TC- Sorry you are getting put through the ringer. It could be hormones or other stuff or a combination of lots of things. May years ago, when I was with my first husband (who was an alcoholic) I would get down right angry at strange times when I remembered things he had done when drunk or doing whatever he did. He was a pretty rotten guy. But you are not. Do you think she is still holding a grudge because of your relapse? Is she thinking like I used to that it won't last. I don't know just thinking out loud. A bit out there to go from one direction to the other on a dime. I just want to encourage you to hang in there and don't let it get you down. You are doing great. I'm sure the camper is great too.
Karen- That is too funny. Sounds like something I would do.
Venuscat- I'm glad you are able to put some weight on the ankle. Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Coz- I meant to tell you that at one point I lived a little bit further south and we had these cute little ows - burrowing owls. They would take up residence in peoples yards. It was illegal to do anything to make them leave. They were adorable. They never built a home in my yard but I wished they had.
I'm making bone broth today. Lots of it. I do it once a month and freeze it to have for the month. I've had no desire to cook lately. I go through these phases of cooking, gardening, painting and then it goes away. Waiting for that great burst of energy to hit me.
Have a great day everyone.
Hope
Old 07-30-2020, 01:58 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Alcohol also makes me more animated. I can stay awake drinking until sunrise. I remember being up at a cottage on a lake with about 10 people. They all were sleeping by 10pm while I drank alone until dawn. Always the one standing at parties where ever I go.

I am having trouble turning off the critical voice in my head and worrying about the disaster my life has been for the last decade. Mainly because my future is so uncertain as I approach my mid-40's. Just can't seem to shake the anxiety. Alcohol always provides an escape and melts the worry and loneliness away, which is very tempting. The "f-it"s are always creeping into my mind.

I need to start walking again which I stopped because of the heat. I find it very uncomfortable.
Old 07-30-2020, 01:59 PM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Alcohol also makes me more animated. I can stay awake drinking until sunrise. I remember being up at a cottage on a lake with about 10 people. They all were sleeping by 10pm while I drank alone until dawn. Always the one standing at parties where ever I go.

I am having trouble turning off the critical voice in my head and worrying about the disaster my life has been for the last decade. Mainly because my future is so uncertain as I approach my mid-40's. Just can't seem to shake the anxiety. Alcohol always provides an escape and melts the worry and loneliness away, which is very tempting. The "f-it"s are always creeping into my mind.

I need to start walking again which I stopped because of the heat. I find it very uncomfortable.
Old 07-30-2020, 01:59 PM
  # 327 (permalink)  

TC- Sorry you are getting put through the ringer. It could be hormones or other stuff or a combination of lots of things. May years ago, when I was with my first husband (who was an alcoholic) I would get down right angry at strange times when I remembered things he had done when drunk or doing whatever he did. He was a pretty rotten guy. But you are not. Do you think she is still holding a grudge because of your relapse? Is she thinking like I used to that it won't last. I don't know just thinking out loud. A bit out there to go from one direction to the other on a dime. I just want to encourage you to hang in there and don't let it get you down. You are doing great. I'm sure the camper is great too.
Karen- That is too funny. Sounds like something I would do.
Venuscat- I'm glad you are able to put some weight on the ankle. Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Coz- I meant to tell you that at one point I lived a little bit further south and we had these cute little owls - burrowing owls. They would take up residence in peoples yards. It was illegal to do anything to make them leave. They were adorable. They never built a home in my yard but I wished they had.
I'm making bone broth today. Lots of it. I do it once a month and freeze it to have for the month. I've had no desire to cook lately. I go through these phases of cooking, gardening, painting and then it goes away. Waiting for that great burst of energy to hit me.
Have a great day everyone.
Hope
Old 07-30-2020, 02:36 PM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Well, dear WL, all I can say is that I was you in my mid-40s, and I wanted so badly to start over but I was afraid of so many things.
So I kept drinking until 49 and 51 weeks.....and came here desperate. The thing is, it didn't matter how old I was.....just how willing I was.....and that willingness to change gave me a whole new life. Sober, living in a different country, married to a man I adore. (An SR).

You are wonderful.....and you can have every good thing in life still, really. xx
Old 07-30-2020, 02:37 PM
  # 329 (permalink)  

I feel guilty dear Hope.....I haven't done omelette pics etc yet or garden pics....but I am excited to be able to walk again.
Thank you for your good wishes. xx
Old 07-30-2020, 03:07 PM
  # 330 (permalink)  
Free.

Originally Posted by Sober369 View Post
I pulled up to her yard, opened the doors of the bus, and said, "Your husband sent us to get you!".
Too funny!!

Sounds like you’ve done some interesting and fulfilling work in your career, Karen.
Also, when we trade up from amphicar back to a bus we know who our sober-bus driver will be.

I had a super good nap from about 11 ‘til 2:30, the hottest part of the day. It’s 31C (88F) here now at 4p.m.
I did some deck prep in the shade in early morning, had my nap, ready to roll out the stain in the evening barring any thunderstorms. I’m using old-school dino-oil deck stain. Takes 24-48 hrs to cure.

Take care all!
Old 07-30-2020, 04:13 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Folks I apologize for the double posts. I'm having trouble getting things to post. It just shows waiting forever and I reload it's not there and repost and then I've posted dupes. Anyone else having this. Maybe my computer is just slow.
Hope
Old 07-30-2020, 04:19 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  

It's not your PC love.....it's the site. A glitch for the last couple of days.....I am sure it will get fixed. s xxxxxxxx

And yes.....it has happened to me 3 or 4 times. ❤️
Old 07-30-2020, 04:49 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  

I am having that problem as you can see above haha. I thought it my browser, but looks like it's the website.
Old 07-30-2020, 05:00 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Twilight Zone. Cue the music. Cue Rod. No cig tho.....we can lose that.
Old 07-30-2020, 07:47 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  
Coz

My bags are packed and I almost ready to go. Have a great weekend everyone! If the waxing moon gives you any grief, go outside and take a glimpse over your right shoulder - it might work on the days leading up as well as on Monday???

See you next week
Old 07-30-2020, 08:55 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  

We will miss you, Coz. I'm so glad you're getting to go, though! My family just told me that next weekend they are going to the beach. But Georgia is on fire with Covid. I said, can't you go to South Carolina, it's not much further. But they have made plans. Yikes. They will be coming home to here, of course. Maybe I will plan on pulling out as they pull in.
I'm up too late. So grateful to have energy back, I don't want to spoil it, so I'm off to sleep.
Hugs and love to all!
Old 07-30-2020, 10:07 PM
  # 337 (permalink)  
Free.

Have an awesome adventure Coz! Stay safe.
Hope you have some designated meeting places/times set up for safety.

Come out of the wilderness fresh and new! Enjoy.

Old 07-30-2020, 10:49 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  
Free.

My afternoon nap was a good one. Wife snapped a pic. Little joe snuggled in with me.
Old 07-31-2020, 03:51 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  

So sweet......

"My bags are packed and I'm ready to go, I'm standing here outside your door, I hate to wake you up to say goodbye......"

First song I ever taught myself to play on piano. Bet TC knows it.

Old 07-31-2020, 07:08 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  

What a fantastic picture, TC! I love the smile on your pup's face. And you are looking good, too. Also, a woman who takes a picture of her husband sleeping is not anywhere near out the door, in my opinion. Although, I have been single for 27 years, so what do I know?
I also have happy memories of that song, Venus! When I was nine my best friend's brother had a garage band and we wanted to be in it so bad. We practiced that song for hours and his mom made him let us audition. It was a hoot, I'm sure we were horrible.
I saw today that Jewel is back! Hooray! Now we need RAL and several others. I miss them terribly, but it also makes me treasure my sobriety that much more. I want to stay!! And I want everyone else to stay, too!