Notices

Class of June Support Thread 2020 Part 2

Old 06-27-2020, 04:48 PM
  # 161 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Try and find things to do - watch a movie, read a book...take up a hobby, learn an instrument.
I think it's really important to feel productive in some way.

D
I'm a really big sports fan which kinda sucks to be right now but a few more weeks and sports will be back so that will give me something to watch at least. I'm also big into fantasy sports so that's a hobby of mine that's on hold right now too
Old 06-27-2020, 05:29 PM
  # 162 (permalink)  

I’m on day 5 today and am just relaxing at home, but I think I’ll go for a walk soon.
I really need to wash my car, because it has bat poo on it and it wrecks the paint if it’s not washed off...

I had to google the temperature conversions, 110-115 F is sooo hot!
I thought I lived in a hot climate, but it’s nowhere near that hot. Summer (wet season) is usually around 35C and really humid, occasionally up to 38 or 40C. At the moment it’s winter (dry season), and it’s 24C today which is perfect. A lovely day for a walk actually. And to wash my car lol....

If you’re struggling with the AV and having cravings, try distracting yourself with doing things. I also like flavoured sparkling mineral water drinks. If all else fails I go for dairy, milk, yogurt, or the best anti-AV weapon of all, ice cream
Old 06-27-2020, 05:56 PM
  # 163 (permalink)  
Coffee Snob

Today I've just been keeping myself busy with the dog inside and outside, playing PC games, munching on some good eats and now I'm about ready to watch my shows. Just relaxing.

I'm trying to get myself on a set sleep schedule, but I always end up staying up too late because I am such a night owl.
Old 06-27-2020, 05:57 PM
  # 164 (permalink)  
Coffee Snob

Originally Posted by TwistedLogic View Post
I'm a really big sports fan which kinda sucks to be right now but a few more weeks and sports will be back so that will give me something to watch at least. I'm also big into fantasy sports so that's a hobby of mine that's on hold right now too
Yes, me too. Really looking forward to the NHL and MLB starting up.
Old 06-27-2020, 07:47 PM
  # 165 (permalink)  

Checking in at the end of day 8. Another good day. Don’t mean to sound like a broken record, but this is par for the course. I always feel so healthy and thankful early on. My whole attitude shifts. I have to be cautious in the weeks ahead when I begin to forget the pain and misery of drinking, and life becomes routine/mundane again. I’m ready. I can never return to that nightmare.

Willow, hope you got that car washed...yuck!

Goodnight to all. Sweet dreams.
Old 06-27-2020, 07:55 PM
  # 166 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PuckLuck View Post
Today I've just been keeping myself busy with the dog inside and outside, playing PC games, munching on some good eats and now I'm about ready to watch my shows. Just relaxing.

I'm trying to get myself on a set sleep schedule, but I always end up staying up too late because I am such a night owl.
So that is your dog in the picture. I'm sure that pup is glad your feeling better.
Old 06-27-2020, 08:22 PM
  # 167 (permalink)  
Coffee Snob

Originally Posted by Lines View Post
So that is your dog in the picture. I'm sure that pup is glad your feeling better.
Hey Lines - Yes it is. He'll be 4 in November.

Jewel - Yes, this is the easy part. Wish it was always this easy. It's about to get real very soon though, like always. I'm going to put pen to paper tomorrow and start my sobriety journal. Journaling has helped me tremendously in the past. Keeps me centered and focused.

Wrapping up Day 8. Going to try to get some sleep. Good job everyone and good night!

Old 06-27-2020, 09:05 PM
  # 168 (permalink)  

Jewel I still haven’t washed the car yet but it’s only 2pm so I still have time to do it today lol....

Goodnight Puck, I hope you get a good sleep

TwistedLogic, I’ve not heard of fantasy sports, what is it?
Old 06-27-2020, 11:13 PM
  # 169 (permalink)  

Hey everyone! I agree that it can get harder after the newness of sobriety wears off. We have to stick together. I know it helps me to have people here because it helps me fight the AV. I don't want to have to come back here and tell you all I slipped! It has been hot here too but is cooling down. Made a bird feeder with the wife and son today. Have to finish it tomorrow. Overall good day! Ending day 9 here.
Old 06-27-2020, 11:39 PM
  # 170 (permalink)  

Hey everyone. Day 4 for me. I wish that everyone here has a power day today.
I love newness and do worry about what will happen as the days and weeks lose their novel glow and change to the drudge of the everyday. I'm hoping meetings and work will keep me going.
Old 06-27-2020, 11:52 PM
  # 171 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freedomfries View Post
Good morning! Pretty depressed this morning. I think I'm in the vicious cycle of too depressed to do anything -> feel bad about not doing anything -> feel more depressed. I'm just finding it hard to find motivation right now. Not tempted to drink though. Have an AA meeting in half an hour. Not sure I really get anything out of the meetings. I want to start the steps but don't know how to in these pandemic times.
besides drinking/drugging.. what do you feel like doing today?
Old 06-28-2020, 01:27 AM
  # 172 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you got to the meeting FF

I love newness and do worry about what will happen as the days and weeks lose their novel glow and change to the drudge of the everyday.
I worried about that too but the more I stayed sober the better I saw it was really the way I wanted to be .

D
Old 06-28-2020, 03:07 AM
  # 173 (permalink)  

Hi all. I made it to 4 weeks today! Still visiting my children and 1 year old grandchild. Will be going back home tomorrow. With the talk of heat, at home, it is getting in the mid to upper 90's everyday, but the humidity in Florida is horrible, most of the time in the 80's and 90's. The Saharan dust has helped some though. Also with the talk of the newness wearing off, depending on where you are, I've found that the body is continually healing and recovering, so there is newness in that all the time, and that's newness that feels good.

Something else I've noticed this weekend. My 2 older children have apparently curbed a lot of their drinking and are looking a lot healthier. I am so grateful. Pretty much left my wife by herself with the pouring down of drinks. I know now, that over time, this will have an effect on her to the point of booze being de-emphasized in her life. Win-win-win-win........

I'm going to be happy with 4 weeks today, but I'm still going to mark 1 month in a couple days Any chance to feel good about things

Hope everyone keeps fighting the good fight. Feels great to hear about all the successes and optimism in here!
Old 06-28-2020, 03:23 AM
  # 174 (permalink)  

Well done on 4 weeks Bob! That’s fantastic
And great news that your 2 are drinking less too

Just going to bed on 5 days sober. Good night everyone
Old 06-28-2020, 03:59 AM
  # 175 (permalink)  

Day 16 begins..

without shame and a hangover. Yesterday was the huge golf tournament that is infamous for being an extreme booze fest. They park a beer truck by the clubhouse and members make coolers full cocktails that get shared. There’s usually a couple guys passed out in carts at the end of the afternoon. Last year I was among them, dropping beers in the dining room, spilling them all over myself and being a general embarrassment. This year I watched, with endless sparkling waters and a huge ice coffee. The first hour or so was tough - boring, anxious, and sad. I knew I just needed to avoid that first drink, I did, and those feelings dissipated as the day went on. Here’s to a clear and beautiful Sunday!
Old 06-28-2020, 05:52 AM
  # 176 (permalink)  
Coffee Snob

Originally Posted by DementedAvenger View Post
without shame and a hangover. Yesterday was the huge golf tournament that is infamous for being an extreme booze fest. They park a beer truck by the clubhouse and members make coolers full cocktails that get shared. There’s usually a couple guys passed out in carts at the end of the afternoon. Last year I was among them, dropping beers in the dining room, spilling them all over myself and being a general embarrassment. This year I watched, with endless sparkling waters and a huge ice coffee. The first hour or so was tough - boring, anxious, and sad. I knew I just needed to avoid that first drink, I did, and those feelings dissipated as the day went on. Here’s to a clear and beautiful Sunday!
Welcome DA, glad you're here. Hammered on the fairway... Yup, I remember doing that quite a few times. Somehow John Daly made a career out of it.

Good morning all,

Only 6 hours of sleep, but that works for me. Almost 8 am here. Made breakfast and now I'm perusing the board, checking in while having my coffee. Pro breakfast tip: If you want the fluffiest scrambled eggs ever, it's simple. Add a little water, a little Hellmann's mayo (can't even taste it), melt a little butter in the pan, whisk it up real good and cook slowly over low-med heat. I add shredded cheese to mine at the end, but that's optional of course.

No plans today. I can tell it's going to be a hot one, so I'm staying in and that's fine with me. Although, I am definitely taking the dog on a walk later this evening when the sun goes down.

Hope everyone has a good day and stays sober.
Old 06-28-2020, 06:09 AM
  # 177 (permalink)  
Coffee Snob

Originally Posted by bobdrop View Post
Hi all. I made it to 4 weeks today! Still visiting my children and 1 year old grandchild. Will be going back home tomorrow. With the talk of heat, at home, it is getting in the mid to upper 90's everyday, but the humidity in Florida is horrible, most of the time in the 80's and 90's. The Saharan dust has helped some though. Also with the talk of the newness wearing off, depending on where you are, I've found that the body is continually healing and recovering, so there is newness in that all the time, and that's newness that feels good.

Something else I've noticed this weekend. My 2 older children have apparently curbed a lot of their drinking and are looking a lot healthier. I am so grateful. Pretty much left my wife by herself with the pouring down of drinks. I know now, that over time, this will have an effect on her to the point of booze being de-emphasized in her life. Win-win-win-win........

I'm going to be happy with 4 weeks today, but I'm still going to mark 1 month in a couple days Any chance to feel good about things

Hope everyone keeps fighting the good fight. Feels great to hear about all the successes and optimism in here!
Congrats on 4 weeks, Bob ​​​​​​​
Old 06-28-2020, 07:59 AM
  # 178 (permalink)  

Congrats on 4 weeks Bob (Or is it Dave?) Welcome Demented! Awesome job on overcoming that one but in the future you might want to avoid those events all together for the time being. Makeright. Congrats on now day 5 and willow, hope you are sleeping well and wake to a wonderful day 6! I am double digits day 10! I plan to finish making a birdhouse and work outside all day because the weather will be nicer.
Old 06-28-2020, 08:03 AM
  # 179 (permalink)  

Hey everyone! Congrats on 4 weeks to you, Bob. I feel some shame when I think about how drunk I've been in front of my family - it's so nice to hear you are seeing a positive influence effect in your family.

Puck I think you are right about boredom. Which is ridiculous because it's not like I don't have a bazillion things to do - I think it's more that I would rather fuzz out in the booze zone than face my responsibilities like an actual adult. I'm not proud of this, but I'm aware of it. Happy to say I made it through, and every morning I wake up feeling totally fine I'm so very grateful. My hangovers have been at the stage where it takes me days to fully recover, and I **** away the entirety of the day following just to be able to hear and see a little more normally. Gross, I don't want that back.

Hoping everyone stays careful and true entering whatever stage feels tempting...as an alcoholic I can find temptation at any time. I've been taking in how much time a lot of you are spending with your families, and if that's not the sweetest motivation I don't know what is. Stay strong and stay well, everyone!
Old 06-28-2020, 08:04 AM
  # 180 (permalink)  

Maximus congrats on double digits!! Nice!