Notices

One Year & Over Part 73

Old 03-02-2020, 11:47 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Sophie,
Be careful of that word, it is a two edged sword. In this conversation I've been using it to describe the stupid supervisor. But used from the stupidvisor perspective, can be meant as one who supervises the stupid.

Thanks Suze,
They were just snapped with my Surface Pro 4 tablet. Not my phone which has better quality optics, or my Olympus which is 14mp and 24x optical zoom. Too lazy to do the work I used to do for any Pic I'd show in public. Our toys have gotten that good in just the last ten years.

Sassy,
It's the opposite here in the Springs. We've had almost twice the snow as usual or more, so the water rationing may not happen this year. Spring though is not for another two months. In summer it can snow here, my favorite trout lake to fish, Lake Jefferson is an alpine crater lake that is in a state park with meadows and ponds streams and beaver dams. Then the climb up to the lake is what they call a gravel road here, the gravel being the size of grapefruits, and up at the lake it's 20 degrees cooler than down at the streams. Under all the spruce trees and others the snow stays three or four feet deep in the shade. It is not accessible due to snow until August. I caught the biggest rainbow trout of my life there. So for the locals and weather gurus to say say we've had a lot more snow this year, it still seems to me to be more than I remembered from 1978 when I was here the first time for three years. But it is still a hoot how I only have to snow blow the drive and sidewalks in front facing south some of the time, but hand Shovel the little patio every time. I'm in a pullover swear shirt and a T-Shirt to Shovel outside, it is that comfortable here.

Gotta go shovel!
Old 03-02-2020, 02:10 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Oh I meant it in the same context, Itchy! Before I went out on my own I spent years in a very corporate environment with many people in positions of seniority without the necessary skills to be effective managers. I am grateful not to have to answer to 'The Man' now - my tendency to rage against the machine of the bureaucracy and incompetence around me became a challenge and I am much more at peace.

Solidarity with those still working in the machine.
Old 03-02-2020, 09:08 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Overs

Sophie, I had managers just the same! It really is a world wide problem. Look out for Itchy’s words....he has some fantastic vocabulary which never fails to make me chuckle.

Itchy, the snow looks beautiful and so tidy, if it’s possible for snow to look tidy. thanks for info on your power supply for electric cars. food for thought.

Hope Tuesday finds you well, my friends.... xxxx
Old 03-02-2020, 09:31 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Re-Member

I know what you mean. I retired at 45 and took off in an RV for seven years doing everything West of the Mississippi and from Mexico to Alaska. I enjoyed leadership and training my people in the AF. I could develop them in spite of themselves - they couldn't quit! I did work to build a company for five years much later, but the lack of honest brokerage and belief in situational ethics made going back into retirement preferable. I succeeded there, but it was unappreciated. Once I'm settled in I'll be volunteering with the secular non religious groups here, and beyond that we'll see. You sound like my kind of people.
Old 03-02-2020, 10:10 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Aww Mags,
You're just saying that cause it's true! No problem on the charging info. Yes the snow looks wonderful.
Old 03-02-2020, 11:03 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Good morning Overs.

Have a good day everyone.
Old 03-02-2020, 11:53 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Thank you Andy, you too!

I'm heading down south on Thursday as mum is having the first of her cataract ops on Saturday. She only needs someone there for the first night, but as my bro is away for the weekend I'm going down until Tuesday. Consciously, she knows it is straightforward and routine, but her mum got an infection that lead to having to have her eye removed, and I imagine that is on her mind a little. Slight aside, when my Nan was in hospital years after having her artificial eye, her doc, who had a great sense of humour asked is she would mind his students assessing her. Got them all to check her over and diagnose, none of them picked up - even though they checked her eyes - that one of them was false! It was such a good match and fit, unless you knew, it was not at all obvious.
Old 03-03-2020, 01:47 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Hope all goes well with your trip + mum's procedure, Toots....Yikes!

One of my coworkers on Friday told me "You're gonna need a stiff drink after today" ~ I just chuckled....I don't share my personal life with many people anymore....but my thoughts were like "You have no idea, buddy...."

Old 03-03-2020, 01:48 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Toots, that’s amazing that the students couldn’t tell the difference!

Itchy, beautiful pics.

Sassykitty woke me up early again - that fancy timed food dish only worked to keep her quiet for less than a week.

Have a good day, Overs.
Old 03-03-2020, 03:37 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Was so happy to hear from my friend Liz the other day! She was going thru a rough patch, but she didn't relapse, so that's good. She rejoined our group too. I hope to see her in the online meetings again soon.

I'm getting ready to start my next book project. I want to get all my ducks in a row before I dive in the deep end.

No snow for us. Looks like temps in the 40sF for most of the week. I'm cautiously optimistic that spring is just around the corner!?!

Have a Terrific Tuesday, overs!
Old 03-03-2020, 08:11 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

I too am fascinated by your fence Itchy. I have never seen something like that.

Thanks for the snow pictures. We have had less than one inch of snow this year and February temps were ten degrees above normal. There was a ton of rain this winter, so if temps were normal, we would have had monstrous snow storms. About a decade ago, we had 78 inches of snow one winter.

Have a good day all!
Old 03-03-2020, 08:27 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

78 inches

Glad Liz is OK FBL. xxx
Old 03-03-2020, 08:39 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Good morning Overs!

I didn't know the Stones did a Rice Crispies commercial for the US in the 60s:

Later they're shutting my power off
Old 03-03-2020, 08:46 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Good evening Overs. Power is back on. Today my house went from 100 Amp electrical service to 200 Amp service, got a new main panel and breakers, and my 50 Amp charging circuit wiring and receptacle are now installed and ready to charge whenever the Tesla Model Y comes in. The utility tech came early thus the abrupt exit this morning. I was told the power would be cut off in five minutes. It all went well. My SH’s Subaru Baja came back with a minor oil leak around the oil filler neck O-ring fixed. Very productive day.

Toots,
That’s hilarious, and scary that they missed it. The most basic eye check is the PERL test, Pupils are Equal and Reactive to Light. Guess they didn't notice one pupil not reacting to light which indicates possible concussion or neural damage. You’ve always been attentive to your parent’s needs. I hope your mom’s surgery goes well!

FBL,
Great to hear Liz made it back unscathed. And that your outreach to our fellow alcoholics is going well. Yep we are having 58-65° for the rest of this week. But the electricians told me the leaves and buds might peek out earlier, but they get knocked off with the next snow, and not to look for my lawn to come in anywhere from March to May sometimes.

Purps!
I know what you mean about people with no clue assuming we drink too.

Sassy,
Thanks, they’re just snapshots. I am so sorry to hear Sassykitty is back to waking you up again. Hope you can figure her out!

Star,
Yeah I had never seen a metal/cedar fence nor would think it would look great until I saw this house. Here more snow than usual I’ve been told by long term locals. Our son and DIL took our grandson skiing today to Keystone. Keystone is an hour from his house, hour and a half from our house. I didn’t think the east coast had as much effect from global warming.
“Climate in Colorado. Colorado, Colorado gets 16 inches of rain, on average, per year. The US average is 38 inches of rain per year. Colorado averages 63 inches of snow per year. The US average is 28 inches of snow per year. On average, there are 253 sunny days per year in Colorado. The US average is 205 sunny days.”
Source: https://www.bestplaces.net/climate/state/colorado
Have I mentioned that we love this place to the max!
Old 03-03-2020, 08:53 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Here's Pikes Peak from my garage door at noon today:
Old 03-03-2020, 10:12 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Hi everyone -

I’m still MIA - exhausted from the previous weeks early mornings and sleepless nights as baby K gets in her molars, plus procedure recovery.

IVF update. Great news on egg retrieval - they got 41. It’s the largest number the dr has ever retrieved. This raises my chances from about baseline of about 3% to about 30% chance of getting K her sibling. It’s a big deal.

The next hurdle is quality: will any of them grow. This is where age plus years of drinking are against me. We wait and see for1-2 weeks to get lab results back. Hoping for 2-3 at that point. It’s a steep drop off the older you get...

Old 03-03-2020, 10:52 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Overs

SE, best wishes with the IVF treatment love.

Itchy, great view. I think I recall you saying some guys do a firework display usually on Pikes Peak at New Year? it’s great you’re not far away from your son and his family. ..pleased all went well with new power supply.

Sassy, oh no! Sassy kitty wants you up early too!

Toots, very interesting the student doctors didn’t recognize your nan’s false eye. All the best to you mum on her cataract op on Saturday. Is Molly taking the journey with you tomorrow ?

have a good Wednesday my friends xx
Old 03-03-2020, 10:57 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Good morning Overs.

Best wishes SE, fingers crossed.

Have a good day everyone.
Old 03-04-2020, 01:18 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Checking in with coffee and the Serenity Prayer to get through the day.
Old 03-04-2020, 01:36 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Nice pix, Itch! Our family visited Pike's Peak in 1972 (I was 6). That was the same trip where we barely escaped the great Black Hills flood: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1972_Black_Hills_flood

The camel wishes you all a Happy Hump-Day!