Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomer's Daily Support Threads
Reload this Page >

All in all, Rome wasn't built in a day, eh? kk1k5x accountability thread

Notices

All in all, Rome wasn't built in a day, eh? kk1k5x accountability thread

Old 03-06-2020, 03:45 PM
  # 341 (permalink)  
Administrator

best of luck with it kk1k - hope you get some downtime too

D
Old 03-06-2020, 05:57 PM
  # 342 (permalink)  

Courage, strength and endurance to you you badass word wrestler Kk!

Not to mention keep putting those sober days in the bag.

My day was kind of meh but not bad. I did get a teeny time with nephew which warms the cockles of my heart. The pestilence of Coronavirus Covid-19 has hit my corner of the world. I'm not super worried but it is still a concern.

How these viruses are affected by season and consequently north/south hemisphere is a bit of a mystery to me . . . . . Dee I'm off to see how you all are faring down-under.
Old 03-07-2020, 06:01 AM
  # 343 (permalink)  

Thank you Dee and Bekind I needed that.

I finished the longest of the texts an hour or so ago. That was pure craziness. I realised that I did like 7 or 8 pages today alone. And 15 minutes after I submitted the thing, a new text was sent haha (I admit that this was one of those crazy people 'haha'-s).

I will take a break, make myself a pizza and then relax and watch basketball for a while. Maybe take a nap, but with the alarm on.
Old 03-07-2020, 10:46 AM
  # 344 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kk1k5x View Post
That was pure craziness. I realised that I did like 7 or 8 pages today alone. And 15 minutes after I submitted the thing, a new text was sent haha (I admit that this was one of those crazy people 'haha'-s).
Does "crazy people" mean "American Attorneys"?

I can get so pissed off about how the world is but then I think, "Lots of meaningful work to do if you can get it." . . . . . I'm absolutely not sure how to combat crazy American lawyers milking their clientele but at least I'm aware and I do vote.

Today I'm doing my own taxes, taking my nephew fishing and maybe having the other one to dinner. Yeehaw.

Don't give up the fight all!
Old 03-07-2020, 10:53 AM
  # 345 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bekindalways View Post
Does "crazy people" mean "American Attorneys"?

I can get so pissed off about how the world is but then I think, "Lots of meaningful work to do if you can get it." . . . . . I'm absolutely not sure how to combat crazy American lawyers milking their clientele but at least I'm aware and I do vote.
Nah, just regular crazy people. The ones that laugh ominously and never break eye contact whilst doing so :P

Have fun Bekind

I still have ways to go with the work, but tomorrow is looking better than today and yesterday, so that's a positive.
Old 03-07-2020, 01:04 PM
  # 346 (permalink)  

Need to close the day, too.

Well, I finished today's portion of the work and it's only 11 pm, so yay for that There's about 9 or so pages left for tomorrow, which makes for a full day but not an extreme one. On Monday, I finally get to sleep in, which I am very much looking forward to.

Although it gets kind of rough at times (all things considered - I know I'm not mining coal here), I'm super grateful for my sobriety because it allows me to do this work and earn some money for myself

And thanks everyone for the good wishes, I hope you're all enjoying your weekends.

End of Day 299. I did not drink today.
Old 03-08-2020, 10:08 AM
  # 347 (permalink)  

I will close the day earlier tonight. It's 7pm and I just finished the last text and am now going to cook myself some pasta bolognese.

At this point, I'm just extremely tired and in desperate need of some time off. Tonight I get to have some time just for myself, which is good.

I can't currently recall my last day off, maybe at the nerd camp or right after that? Too tired to check the thread history.

Off I go now. Hope everyone had a great weekend

End of Day 300. I did not drink today.
Old 03-08-2020, 02:10 PM
  # 348 (permalink)  

Well done!

All in all, Rome wasn't built in a day, eh?

How very true...
Old 03-08-2020, 02:57 PM
  # 349 (permalink)  

Congrats Kk on reaching the nice round number of 300. Anything you would like to say on the occasion on how your life has changed . . . or not?

I'm having a slow day doing a bit of this and that. Went to mass this am and will take my Dad to dinner at my brother's tonight.

Onward to whatever comes next.
Old 03-08-2020, 07:04 PM
  # 350 (permalink)  
Administrator

Awesome kk1k

D
Old 03-09-2020, 01:57 AM
  # 351 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone

No big words. The only thing that popped to mind was that lately I've only been (sort of) complaining and/or whining about work. Seems like a negative, but when I think about the subject-matter for my complaints from 300 days ago, I'll take work any day !
Old 03-09-2020, 09:42 AM
  # 352 (permalink)  

May work continue to be your only and or major problem Kk . . . . although I find your translation work so interesting that complain away . . . I'm fascinated.

So I'm off to do 15 min of finances, start laundry and do 5 min of yoga . . . . sometimes that is as far ahead as I can plan but it does help me.
Old 03-09-2020, 09:54 AM
  # 353 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Hey, congratulations on 10 months kk (or very nearly) I'm glad you have a chunk of time for yourself.
Old 03-09-2020, 11:03 AM
  # 354 (permalink)  

Well, I extended it to the max - it's 8 pm and now I have to start working if I want to leave just enough for the morning, so it wouldn't get crazy. I also told the work guy that my aim was to (basically) have tomorrow off.

I did get more work for Wednesday already and I said no to one other that would have been meant for today.

I think I really need to take time tomorrow and deal with my coursework, though.
Old 03-09-2020, 02:07 PM
  # 355 (permalink)  

WOW Kk.....300 days, congratulations, they stacked up fast!

I was viewing some inspirational fodder You Tube videos at the weekend. Because I'm bursting with negative self-talk, recently. And one speaker said, negative spoken words are so effective, so powerful, use them at your peril. It's better to be neutral, than false positive talk. It resonated, in that I've tried positive affirmations, and can almost hear my sub-conscious replying...oh yeh, not true.

So for three days, I've intercepted and negated my negative phrases, stopped browsing doom and gloom websites, and I swear my mood has lightened.
Old 03-09-2020, 03:10 PM
  # 356 (permalink)  

Excellent, Tatsy! I like that.

I managed to do 5.5 pages of 7.5, so only 2 left for the morning I like that, I will get to start enjoying my day off a bit sooner.

But on the topic of negative self-talk - that's like a foundational characteristic of most if not all alcoholics, right? At least I was constantly berating myself for anything and everything. Negative was my natural state when I was drinking. Most of the stupid or outrageous stuff that I did, originated from the fact that I was already in a bad place when I picked up a drink, and after the initial numbing effects wore off, there was just an even more frustrated, anxious and negative being underneath - a being that just erased most if not all of his inhibitions for acting on those 'I'll get 'em now' thoughts and plans.

The neutrality rather than false positivity also really resonates with me. When I started my first thread after returning to SR, my plan was (no idea how it actually worked out, though :P) to keep it simple and humble. Perhaps it's not my place to say this, but I'm always somewhat more concerned about newcomers who fly in with "I'm doing this now!!!" (notice the number of exclamation points), yet unfortunately the energy and enthusiasm wears off and they pick up. The reason I wanted to avoid something like that this time is ...because I did something similar in the past. I was enfatuated with the 'idea' of sobriety, not so much with what it takes to stay sober.

That's why I think honesty with oneself is especially important in sobriety, or at least it has been for me. I acknowledge the positives fully, however tiny they are (because, as we know, these stack ) - but I also acknowledge the negatives, however big they are. I know my current limits and limitations, and I've accepted the fact that it took me years to get to the place that I'm now slowly making my way out of - i.e. things aren't going to happen overnight.

What's that saying about Rome again? .... :P

I hope everyone got a good start to their week. I'll now finish watching the basketball game I started earlier, and then to sleep. This time with the alarm set, too, just in case.

End of Day 301. I did not drink today.
Old 03-10-2020, 05:06 AM
  # 357 (permalink)  

Finished my work at 10.30 am, in good time and it was accepted, so all clear on that one. Decided to then do some research (sifting through and sorting data, making notes etc) so as to make the day useful before I retreat to just ...doing f all which is something I have been looking forward to A LOT.

Yesterday I bought a big 5 lbs cut of pork, cut it up today into different portions to be put in the freezer. And in the evening I'll be having a decent fresh pork chop with lots of salad. Mmm...

Earlier I had a glass of my refreshing drink - I've made a new improvement (and it got even better!). Now I put half cranberry juice, half sparkling water and then add fresh slices of lemon. Extremely good stuff and very refreshing

Got my hands on a new-ish documentary about Jordan Peterson (The Rise of Jordan Peterson) and will watch this. He's definitely a conflicting person, I can say that much.

Hope everyone's going good with their day. In the evening I think will actually read something ... for just pleasure. Haven't managed that in a while, so it sounds appealing.
Old 03-10-2020, 01:22 PM
  # 358 (permalink)  

Best close the day off, I'm getting kind of sleepy. Had a look at the translation I'm starting tomorrow, looked mostly alright.

Thursday I have a long day of lectures, which I WILL BE attending this time. No excuses - that's even why the new translation won't be required until Fri noon. Have to get over myself and go. I'm one of those 'once I get through the door, it's usually alright'. It's getting to those doors that has proven difficult.

I know today is Tuesday, but to me it feels like a Sunday evening because it was a day off. Anyways, think I'll pick up a book for a short while and then maybe put on a documentary and doze off.

End of Day 302. I did not drink today.
Old 03-11-2020, 10:04 AM
  # 359 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I'm glad you're on top of things kk. I was looking at some film of the Vatican, Rome, Venice and a few Italian tourist attractions on a news programme a couple of days ago. Rome may not have been built in a day but Coronavirus has emptied it in a couple of weeks.

I agree with you Tatsy about some positive affirmations. Used wrongly they come over as empty sales pitches.
Old 03-11-2020, 12:54 PM
  # 360 (permalink)  

Got up really early this morning, had coffee but then ended up feeling tired and went back to bed. And slept until noon. I'm not entirely sure why, but this does still happen from time to time. It's like I don't get enough rest/sleep at night, I'm awake but only for a little while and then doze off again. I am taking my vitamind D again, though.

Managed to get about 5 of 10 pages done in today's translation. I have until Friday noon but tomorrow is a 'school day' for me and I'm determined to go. Previously I've talked myself out of going and this time I promised myself I won't skip out on it.

Wanted to have coffee a while back but decided to go with tea instead - just so I wouldn't go and mess up the sleep myself. I need to sort of guarantee that I make it to the lecture hall's door and enter it. After that, things are usually alright. It's always the 'going' part that gets me, not so much the 'being there' portion of things.

End of Day 303. I did not drink today.