Notices

Class of July 2019 Part 4

Old 12-25-2019, 07:20 AM
  # 241 (permalink)  

Morning.

Yes Venus, my neck is stiff. Others have suggested BPPV (benign paroxysmal positional vertigo). Crystals in the inner ear that are in the wrong place. There are some maneuvers I can try to get a correction. I'll do that today and if I don't get relief, I'll cal the doctor tomorrow.

Daughter and boyfriend came over after their hike yesterday and we had a nice visit. We opened gifts - stockings for all and some under the tree gifts for myself, Mrs & daughter. My daughter doesn't like big gifts and what we got here turns out to be something she wouldn't actually use. We will return it. She felt bad that it wouldn't be useful but it's better that she told us rather than have it sit unused. It's very easy to return, so no worries.

Mrs & I are alone for today. Don't know when we'll see our son or if we'll see our DIL. She is still ?holding a grudge? ?angry? about what happened over the summer. It's really only a tangentiall an issue for her and everyone else has moved on. I'm beginning to question her ?personality? But it's not my zoo not my monkey. Any contact will be great, but it's going to have to come from them. I'm taking no possible chance to make anything worse. THey know where I am and how to reach me. It makes me sad, but it is what it is.

I've decided that I am definitely going to Isla Mujeres, Mexico this summer to snorkel with whale sharks. I'm also almost certain that I'm going to go to Bonaire in the fall or early winter to dive. I'm feeling that time is slowly running out for trips that are physically taxing. That's OK because there are a ton of things I want to see and do that are less so, like the tour we are taking in Utah this summer by bus. We'll be staying inside the parks at Zion, Grand Canyon (north rim), and Bryce. We don't have to arainge travel, food, or lodging and there will be guide lectures during travel. Very relaxing.

Today I think I'm going to do final sanding and the glue-up of only the tray today. I want to practice before I take on the box. If I mess up the tray, it's no great loss. The box is the main attraction and it's going to be difficult to get glue on all the surfaces before the glue starts to set. I have an idea of a process that might work, but I want to try it out first. Doing it slowly lets me think in between and there's no rush to finish. Only Mrs & I even know what I'm making.

I also want to test different finishes on scrap pieces. The raw wood is a beautiful combination of brown, tan, and cream figure. When you put oil on it, it's still beautiful. but the color changes to yellow/gold hues. I'd like to keep the raw colors but enhance the figure of the wood.

Well, Merry Christmas to all that celebrate, and best wishes to all that don't or who celebrate something else - too many celebrations for this old codger to keep track of.
Old 12-25-2019, 07:31 AM
  # 242 (permalink)  

Merry Christmas love.....and I cannot wait to see your finished creation. ❤️
Old 12-26-2019, 06:52 AM
  # 243 (permalink)  

Morning.

Christmas was quiet, with calls to & from family - including a call from my son. That was nice. Mrs was in a somewhat bad mood all day and blew up at me right before she went to bed. I just wrote it off to not having the kids around on Christmas and let it go.

I did get the tray glued up. Quite easily, actually. While talking to my BIL I asked him if he had a suggestion. He did, and it was brilliant. I never would have thought of it on my own. So glad I asked. Today I will sand the joints flush and put on the finish and the tray will be done.

I'm learning not to totally depend on myself to figure things out. Asking the baker about handling sticky dough and my BIL on the glue-up rather than just depending on what I could come up with gave me methods that I'd never have thought of on my own. My New Years resolution is going to be to ask for suggestions and listen to others more - work on being less insular.

Let me know if you get tired of me posting links to pictures. This one is a Dendrobium that I bought at an orchid club picnic. It wasn't established - just a flowering cane with no roots. I immediately repotted it in fern root but still nearly lost it. The main cane died back but I got some timy growths at the base. This is the first flowering on really tiny canes. Normally there would be many sprays of many flowers. A mature plant is quite spectacular even though the flowers are small. This is a closeup of a single flower that's barely an inch and a quarter across.

https://i.imgur.com/EFJJIou.jpg
Old 12-26-2019, 06:58 AM
  # 244 (permalink)  

Never.

And that is BEAUTIFUL!!!!

And I like your point of view very much....learning is wonderful, and so is humility. s xx
Old 12-27-2019, 06:59 AM
  # 245 (permalink)  

Morning.

Not sure what's up for today. I want to visit my across the street neighbors and find out when they are heading for Florida. I also need to drop off the item we got our daughter for return. I'd like to get to the range but not sure that's going to happen. In any event I need a shower before I do anything.

Once I get the box done I'll take some pix of the tray and box together to post. The tray came out really nice, especially since it was made from excess cutoffs from making the box, essentially scrap.
Old 12-28-2019, 06:55 AM
  # 246 (permalink)  

I have to go to a family gathering. I never look forward to it but once I get there it's usually fine. With my hearing I can't really keep up with conversations with so much background noise so I usually sit somwhere and nod occasionally till it's time to eat. Then I wait til desert time and after that wait till I can bug out without making it obvious. All the while putting on a happy face.

This one may be worse. DIL still has a bug up you know where and it's putting my son in the middle. Also, both son and daughter will be there. I expect everone will be civil. No one but Mrs & I, son, DIL, and daughter know anything about what happened and none wants any of it to become public, so I expect everyone will mind their manners. Still, I'd so rather be home working on the box I'm making.
Old 12-28-2019, 07:06 AM
  # 247 (permalink)  

Hope it all goes well and passes quickly dear Charon. s xx
Old 12-29-2019, 08:15 AM
  # 248 (permalink)  

The gathering went OK. DIL made it a bit tense. She wasn't hostile but was a bit cool and withdrawn. Son & daughter hugged when daughter & boyfreind were leaving. Both seemed a bit unsure what to do. I guess that will resolve as time goes by. one of the guys wanted to watch the college football playoff games so that gave me an out from trying to continually keep track of what was being said. I was glad to get home and relax, though. As I guessed, my brother was drinking even though he said he'd quit because SIL had to quit because of health. He has health issues of his own, but I don't know how many are related to drinking. Anyway, nothing I can do. Not my business. I did reaffirm that he should call if there is anything I could help with.

Here's a link to a picture of the tray. I think it came out really good considering it was made from cutoffs from the main project. I think the box and tray will look stunning together (if I do say so myself).

https://i.imgur.com/3nP1qSr.jpg
Old 12-29-2019, 10:44 AM
  # 249 (permalink)  

Lovely to log back into SR and see the photos of your splendid orchids Charon. The tray is beautiful too, lovely joins and such a rich colour to the wood.

I hope everyone had a lovely Christas. I landed safely back in the UK on Xmas Eve and have pretty much slept ever since. I have stirred only for dog walks and food.

I will get those photos up of your beloved Elwood sometime this week Venuscat.
Old 12-30-2019, 07:04 AM
  # 250 (permalink)  

F2F tonight. I'll probably be the only one again, but you would think right before New Years eve there would be a lot of people needing a meeting. It's raining and if it keeps on into the night it might make the roads slick. That would keep people away.

I spent nost of yesterday helping Mrs configure and move files from her old (and it's really old - one of the first Win 7's) to her new laptop. Some of it went easily. It's still chugging away on the restore of the Win 7 files to the Win 10 machine. It had stopped to ask what to do with a duplicate file. Once it finishes I'll check it and make sure nothing is amiss. The Win 7 machine was a total mess. Mrs doesn't believe in organization. Her desktop had probably 50 shortcuts - not even grouped in any way. I could never live with that kind of jumble.

Of course I was a programmer/analyst so I had to be very structured. Funny how I could have so much discipline with that and so little with drinking at the end. Well, at least I've regained control. Now I only need to maintain it. I'm still short time (about 7 months) but it's getting langer every day and it feels good.

One gift Mrs gave me was a card with a picture of a puppy in it with the message "Come find me". Her way of saying it's OK if I want to get a puppy. I thanked her but reassured her that she might be right - that it might be more than I want to take on.

I decided to wait till I could take care of my son's dogs when they go away for a week so I can get up at 5 am to take them out and take care of their needs all day into the evening/night. We usually spread the care between us but I'd like to see if I can do it entirely on my own before committing. I want to know that I could give the best of care - best of love is no problem.
Old 12-30-2019, 07:28 AM
  # 251 (permalink)  

Puppy puppy puppy!!!!!
I say go for it....you will get a new lease of life. s xx
Old 12-30-2019, 04:10 PM
  # 252 (permalink)  
Administrator

Happy New Year to you all

D
Old 12-31-2019, 07:51 AM
  # 253 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
Puppy puppy puppy!!!!!
I say go for it....you will get a new lease of life. s xx
I want to make sure I'm up to the commitment first. I'm 73 and 16 more years puts me at 89 - if I make it that long. A puppy would help insure that I make it there, but would I be able to properly take care of its needs at that point?

I got the new clamps yesterday and am glad I waited. I had clamps I could have used but these worked so much easier. I got the box glued up yesterday. I'll build a fire today and do the final sanding of the outside today. Once that's done I'll saw it in half to seperate the lid from the base, cut the slots for the hinges and start to apply the finish. I'll bring it into the basement for the finish because that will take applications at hour intervals over 3-6 hours.

Mrs is still working on setting up her new laptop. I do not envy her. I moved all her files from the old laptop and the last thing was to move her email. It had been moved at least once before so there are now layers upon layers - 2007 emails in three (or more) sets of redundant folders. And once she got the mail server set up, everything from the last iteration (that was still on the server) poured into her inbox - just over 1500 additional, duplicate emails. I would hate to have to deal with that mess. Not my zoo, not my monkeys. (thanks James).

Roads were slick and getting worse so I tried to attend the F2F on-line. Once again it didn't work. I doubt very much anyone else showed up, so no great loss. I'm hoping we can test over this week and get it straightened out before the next meeting. I want to attend and don't really want to stay home just to figure this out.
Old 12-31-2019, 08:26 AM
  # 254 (permalink)  

Yes, for sure. You and the dog will have the most wonderful life together....

Very complicated all this moving stuff.....one of the reasons I love web-based stuff. Buy a new PC and have everything right there in under half an hour.

I get hundreds of emails per day, and I get rid of them quick smart. Or store them in folders.

And the wood tray is absolutely beautiful by the way. s xx
Old 12-31-2019, 02:57 PM
  # 255 (permalink)  
Administrator

I thought you were my age or less Charon - your energy puts me to shame - stop making the rest of us look bad!

D
Old 01-01-2020, 06:09 AM
  # 256 (permalink)  

Morning & Happy New Year.

There's an "old country" belief that the way you spend New Years Day is the way you will spend the year. I'll be doing a little fun work, a little relaxing, a little cooking, watching a favorite show, etc. But, I'm not hung over I won't be drinking anything alcoholic and I won't be getting upset about anything . All in all a very fine day indeed!!!

Don't know if I ever posted this link. It's some highlights from dives during my 2017 trip to Bonaire: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0a3...ature=youtu.be

Dee, once, while walking through the woods with the love of my life (she eventually broke up with me, so no happy ending) she asked why I never just sat down and looked. Without thinking I answered (without stopping), "If you just sit down and watch, you become an observer. You're no longer part of it." Key work is the "just". Doesn't apply if you sit and watch with purpose. I've learned to sit and watch some, but my natural instince is to keep moving. Don't want to give anything a chance to take me from behind - like old age. That's coming much too soon as it is.
Old 01-02-2020, 05:38 AM
  # 257 (permalink)  

Morning.

Well, as unexpected, the box is giving me problems. After I cut the top from bottom and was doing a final sanding, one of the corners on the top popped apart. I re-glued it. Then this morning I found that the surface of the finish was very rough. I ran a heater near the pieces to help dry the finish and I think it bubbled the finish. I'm going to the range to plink some. When I get home I'll deal with it. Just a little light sanding and apply one more coat. At least that's what I hope.

I treated myself yesterday. My son & DIL bought me Jamacan Blue Mountain Peaberry beans for my birthday 2018. Two packages - 8 ounces each. I used one and froze the other. Yesterday I started on the second one. I ground just a bit and put the rest of the beans back in the freezer. Gosh, that coffee is so good!!! When I run out and need a special treat I'll order more. For now I have a lot of peaberries left.
Old 01-02-2020, 07:17 AM
  # 258 (permalink)  

Yum Bob.....coffeeaholic here.... s xx
Old 01-03-2020, 06:27 AM
  # 259 (permalink)  

Morning.

I sanded the box without any trouble and had asked my son whether he liked a gloss or satin finish on wood. He finally sent a text that he thought satin. I'm so glad. I was having a tough time getting the gloss finish even. One coat of the satin finish and done. I really like how the satin finish looks much, much better than gloss. Today I'll fit the hinges and latch. I bought a small tripod that will get here today so I'll be taking some pictures. I want to hang on to the box & tray till next friday. I'd like to take it to the F2F meetings Monday & Thursday to show people who asked about it. He doesn't know it's coming so I can keep it for a while.

Other than that I'll be having some peaceful days. Mrs is going up to the farm to visit her brother. The woman who took the group to Italy is having a gathering of the people who went. So she's going for that as well. I don't have any great plans. I need to straighten the woodshop for the next project. I don't know yet what that might be for sure. Maybe another box. This one for me. I have my cooking knives in a teak box I made my mom for her crochet needles a very long time ago. I have the blades in protective covers, but they are just laid in and I have to dig for the one I want to use.

A long time ago I bought a stick of Macassar Ebony. I think I might make a box with that for sides and a Wenge top and bottom to use for my knives . Then I could use the Teak box for something else or give it to someone who could use it. I also want to get back to turning. I need some practice to get my feel back. I have a wonderful burl (don't remember what wood - might be an Austrailian gumwood of some sort). I finally decided how I will turn it. But that chunk of wood was seriously expensive and is seriously beautiful. I want to be sure I won't ruin it with a slip of rthe gouge while it's spinning on the lathe.
Old 01-03-2020, 07:27 AM
  # 260 (permalink)  

What does turning mean with regards to wood please dear Charon? s xx