Notices

Class of July 2019 Part 1

Old 07-03-2019, 06:00 PM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by calmself View Post
Althea, something i read recently was - alcoholics either grieve a lot about what happened yesterday (guilt, fear, self-loathing etc.) or worry too much about tomorrow. Being able to relax, enjoy and utilize the current day is something we got to learn. Just my 2 cents...ignore if not applicable.
that makes so much sense, Calmself. Thank you! I really am doing both at all times, but am never able to stay enjoy the present. For me, alcohol was the drug that made me seem able, like all “normal” people I know, to stay in the moment without feeling like death gripping its hands around my neck. Thanks again.
Old 07-03-2019, 06:02 PM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KinseyMillhone View Post
I'm on the evening of day 4, too, Althea. Regrets keep bubbling up in my mind, while at the same time my brain is telling me that I should give drinking another chance to develop even more regrets!

The other night I made a plan to make a bracelet, and last night I met a non-drinking friend for dinner and an evening walk. I ate a rice cake before leaving work and listened to the bubble hour podcast on the way home from work to distract me enough to ignore the liquor store. When I got home it was straight to PJs!

I made plans with the kids for tomorrow evening, and I'm currently sitting outside on the patio with a mineral water after dinner. Only a few hours left in the day.

My sleep tracker said I got a total of 2 hours sleep and 3 the night before. I had some very vivid and poignant dreams in that short sleep. Without the poison, though, I managed to do quite well at work despite my lack of sleep. I'm hoping to catch up tonight and have a great day off tomorrow.

Welcome to everyone joining today!
thanks for this! Great to have a Day 4-regret companion. Appreciate the support.
Old 07-03-2019, 06:52 PM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Just back from grocery shopping and I bought a selection of 0% alcohol drinks. I basically only drink water, coffee and alcohol. At night I need something else to wind down with. Apart from alcohol I never drink calories either but remembered that during my first attempt at sobriety years ago I used to drink non alcohol beer. The fact that it looked like alcohol seemed to help my mind and after a few sips any cravings would settle down.

Kind of looking forward to trying this tonight.
Old 07-03-2019, 08:57 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

just quick hi as i have work this morning, will catch up with you all later

hope you are all well this morn x
Old 07-03-2019, 09:52 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope it works for you Midton - it just made me want the 'real thing'.

Maybe you're better breaking the association completely and thinking about ways to unwind that don't involve a drink in your hand at all?

D
Old 07-03-2019, 10:33 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  

Had a cool evening. Ran 4 miles at the treadmill , had a great dinner. Good night all and thanks for your support. Stay strong!
Old 07-03-2019, 11:41 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hope it works for you Midton - it just made me want the 'real thing'.

Maybe you're better breaking the association completely and thinking about ways to unwind that don't involve a drink in your hand at all?

D
I’m sure you’re correct but ...my first attempt all those years ago was over a hundred days, something I’ve only done twice since. It helped me until I got sick of the taste.

I do have a problem unwinding but it’s a difficult one for me. I finish work around 8 and get home within seconds. I get changed, wash then eat my dinner and by 9 I’m in bed reading normally. Within 20 minutes I’m usually asleep. That is all the time I have at the end of my long day before I’m up at 6 the next morning. I don’t have time for a long bath or a jog. I don’t watch tv and never listen to music at home. I’ve also got my kids acting like Dick Turpin when all I want is a bit of peace and quiet. I want my brain to slow down and I don’t have the time to coax it slowly.

I only eat once a day so my evening meal is kind of relaxing in of itself but water just doesn’t do it.

Any suggestions on how to wind down?
Old 07-03-2019, 11:55 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  

Morning all

Day 17 - slept well again, is this too good to be true? Not had any cravings yet - turned down the offer of a beer last night, didn't even fancy one. Think I must be in a honeymoon period, as I'm sure things will get harder.

Good luck everyone for another sober day.

Andy.
Old 07-04-2019, 01:49 AM
  # 109 (permalink)  

Hi There everyone! Happy 4th

Been sober for a few days, excited to restart my journey towards sobriety. Today I went on a bike ride for 6 miles with kids. It didn’t suck, rather I enjoyed the cool breeze. 4th of July bbq will be free of beer.
Old 07-04-2019, 02:09 AM
  # 110 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome buster

D
Old 07-04-2019, 05:32 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  

Good morning all! Today is Day 2.

I can't remember who posted this (he said his wife commented that he seemed "dull"), but I can soooo relate! I feel dull, deflated and flat, and that's not my normal personality.

This morning I wrote down an honest list of who I turn into when I'm drinking. Most of us think we're fun or clever, but looking at it from a sober standpoint, I recognize that I get louder, more opinionated, sloppy, slurry, definitely NOT fun, and frankly I turn into my mother! And on top of that, I don't recall most of the evening's events but have this uneasy anxiety about it the next morning.

I am determined to NOT be that person anymore.

It gives me strength to see alcohol for what it really is.

Wishing you all lots of strength today!
Old 07-04-2019, 05:54 AM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Day 4! I overslept and missed the sunrise, I guess I needed it. I saw a guy at the store last night cart out a 30 pack and felt sorry for him, not me. I got this.
Old 07-04-2019, 07:06 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  

Welcome, Buster!

TN, great insight! I have a video of myself describing what it feels like to wake up in the morning after a night of drinking. It certainly ruins any romanticism of alcohol. I can't recall talking to someone that has been drinking and thinking that their personality has been improved by it.

Andy, day 17 is amazing! I'm sure there will be some ups and downs along the way, but turning down a drink is a solid win no matter how hard or easy it was. Win!

Midton- hmmmm. Making transitions is a hard one for me, too. So far, I've found that simple things like flopping on the bed for a moment when changing clothes after work or trapping my kids to hug them has done wonders. I've also found that I'm actually thirsty for water after work. I see mineral water as a luxury, so sometimes I indulge in one of those, too.

Day 5 over here! Had a much better sleep last night and happy to wake up feeling fresh and ready to waste my holiday on relaxing, booze free!
Old 07-04-2019, 07:54 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  

Signing in …. again ….. for day 1 ….. again …. I've got to keep trying.....it's been a while since my last day 1......
Old 07-04-2019, 08:33 AM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Hello! Just logging in and saying hello!

4 days for me. Looking forward to sleeping well tonight.

Welcome to the newbies. Thursday, Kinsey, Shenzy and others. Shenzy, glad to have you here!

Nights!
Old 07-04-2019, 08:51 AM
  # 116 (permalink)  

Hang in there Shenzy. And welcome!
Old 07-04-2019, 11:15 AM
  # 117 (permalink)  

I don't mean to keep intruding in the class threads. s, just that seeing so many familiar 'faces' ~ I spend a lot of time thinking about friends I miss....so to pop by here and see some of them is pretty awesome.

One thing I know for sure dear July19 class: Never, Ever Give Up. We can all have this, and it is worth trying with all of your might to get there.

So much love.
Old 07-04-2019, 12:09 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  

Hello folks, Partially sunny day here in Seattle. Had coffee and just listening to some classical songs. Planning to continue applying for jobs and hopefully not think of buying beer. Let's stay strong - one day at a time!
Old 07-04-2019, 02:30 PM
  # 119 (permalink)  

Good morning and I’m on my sixth day. Feeling great but that might also be because it’s Friday.

Well the non-alcoholic plum wine I bought worked a treat. I looked forward to having it and this fact completely killed my normal at work cravings. It tasted great also.

My alcohol greed ridiculously kicked in though. One can was sufficient but I had two and I could sense my alcohol guzzling style come back.

The only problem I had was that it was zero sugar and zero carbs but whatever they used to sweeten it left me bloated. Some artificial sugars have a bad effect on your gut biome so it’s probably not something I was to get too used to drinking. But for this weekend I think it will be of a great help.
Old 07-04-2019, 02:40 PM
  # 120 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Midton View Post
I’m sure you’re correct but ...my first attempt all those years ago was over a hundred days, something I’ve only done twice since. It helped me until I got sick of the taste.

I do have a problem unwinding but it’s a difficult one for me. I finish work around 8 and get home within seconds. I get changed, wash then eat my dinner and by 9 I’m in bed reading normally. Within 20 minutes I’m usually asleep. That is all the time I have at the end of my long day before I’m up at 6 the next morning. I don’t have time for a long bath or a jog. I don’t watch tv and never listen to music at home. I’ve also got my kids acting like Dick Turpin when all I want is a bit of peace and quiet. I want my brain to slow down and I don’t have the time to coax it slowly.

I only eat once a day so my evening meal is kind of relaxing in of itself but water just doesn’t do it.

Any suggestions on how to wind down?
I don't have kids, but I unwind by exercise and by playing or listening to music.

weren't you into geocaching? or was it periscoping? Hobbies can help.

Even a simple change of routine can help. It doesn't look like you have a lot of me time.

I was like that too. Drinking was a way to unwind while also doing something else. That might be ok if you're not an alcoholic but it was destroying me.

Balance is very important to me these days,

Would it make any difficulties if you left work at 7.30 or even 7?

I noticed in another post you felt like your behaviours were the same with NA stuff last night.

The problem with NA stuff for me was the behaviours.

I drank them like real beers and ended up bloated. I drank them like real beers and got annoyed there was no buzz. Then I got the bright idea to swap out one or two of the NA cans for the real thing....

D