Notices

Class of July 2019 Part 1

Old 07-04-2019, 05:16 PM
  # 121 (permalink)  

Few of my friends just invited me to go to the local Applebee's for a couple of beers since it is a holiday. Wonder if I should just go and be back in a couple of hours - don't want to sit at home not having fun
Old 07-04-2019, 06:23 PM
  # 122 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I don't have kids, but I unwind by exercise and by playing or listening to music.

weren't you into geocaching? or was it periscoping? Hobbies can help.

Even a simple change of routine can help. It doesn't look like you have a lot of me time.

I was like that too. Drinking was a way to unwind while also doing something else. That might be ok if you're not an alcoholic but it was destroying me.

Balance is very important to me these days,

Would it make any difficulties if you left work at 7.30 or even 7?

I noticed in another post you felt like your behaviours were the same with NA stuff last night.

The problem with NA stuff for me was the behaviours.

I drank them like real beers and ended up bloated. I drank them like real beers and got annoyed there was no buzz. Then I got the bright idea to swap out one or two of the NA cans for the real thing....

D
In my industry most of my competitors will close around 9 or even 10. So me stopping work around 8 is as early as I can go. I’m also on yearly contracts so I’m locked in till next April as well.

I was and still am a live streamer but that’s a morning activity or one where there are events I’d like to show. Nit something I’m going to do near bed time.

When I wrote alcoholic guzzling I was kind of incorrect. Yes, I’m a binge drinker who guzzles alcohol but I’ve always been a binge drinker whether that be water, juice or whatever. I’m always supping from a water bottle. Even if I wake up during the night I take a swig of water. This style of drinking is part of my problem. I set off like a house on fire and continue.

Eventually I’ll stop the non-alcohol drinks. For a problem (still can’t write the A word) drinker I’m ironically health conscious and before long my concerns over the artificial sweetener will make me stop.
Old 07-04-2019, 06:30 PM
  # 123 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by calmself View Post
Few of my friends just invited me to go to the local Applebee's for a couple of beers since it is a holiday. Wonder if I should just go and be back in a couple of hours - don't want to sit at home not having fun
I used to fall into the trap pf thinking those were my only two options - go out with drinking mates, or do nothing.

The truth is there's a universe of things to do for the non drinker...even staying home can be fun if you make it so

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ething-do.html (Looking For Something To Do?)

D
Old 07-04-2019, 06:33 PM
  # 124 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks Midton. I won't hassle you on the NA drinks again. I hope you don;t mind me talking to you cos I really want this to be your last class man

As far as unwinding goes...I had a life that was set up to work dawn to dusk - with an hour or two drinking at the end....which became several hours, and then all day by the end,

Drinking was not a good solution for me and it's obviousl;y not for you either.

You need to find some new ways to decompress
Drinkings not working for you.

D
Old 07-04-2019, 06:51 PM
  # 125 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, I'm back here again, wanting to join the July class. I've been here before, a few of you are familiar to me. Today is day two for me, about to go to bed with all the fireworks exploding outside. I have a massive headache. This morning was bliss, though. Waking up feeling good and having some energy. My tolerance for alcohol has gone way down. I feel bad after only a few drinks, and even two beers has me feeling tired the next day. Here's hoping this time sticks!
Old 07-04-2019, 07:22 PM
  # 126 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Karen

D
Old 07-04-2019, 07:37 PM
  # 127 (permalink)  

I used to fall into the trap pf thinking those were my only two options - go out with drinking mates, or do nothing.

The truth is there's a universe of things to do for the non drinker...even staying home can be fun if you make it so

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ething-do.html (Looking For Something To Do?)

D
thanks Dee! I came down to Bellevue park with family after politely letting them know. Dont want to be sorry later.
Old 07-04-2019, 07:43 PM
  # 128 (permalink)  
Administrator

good outcome calmself

D
Old 07-04-2019, 09:05 PM
  # 129 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

morn all

got work again this morn x on day 5

good to see some new people here and great job on everyone with there days x
Old 07-05-2019, 01:27 AM
  # 130 (permalink)  

Morning everyone.
Day 2 here …. emotional one today, last day of my youngest being at Primary school....
This is positive though, no better time to embark on a new sober journey along with my children's new journeys.
Happy Friday everyone.
xxx
Old 07-05-2019, 02:26 AM
  # 131 (permalink)  

Morning all

Day 18 - slept well again, but still getting hot sweats.

I have suffered from anxiety/stress/depression for over 15 years, but I can honestly say I feel the best I've felt in years. I was really suffering from stress headaches before I quit, but this has gradually reduced to a point where I have hardly noticed over the last few days. Alcohol was obviously making my situation much worse. If this keeps up, I'm hoping I'll be able to start reducing my medication, which would be great.

Good luck everyone for another sober day.

Andy.
Old 07-05-2019, 03:04 AM
  # 132 (permalink)  

July 4th here! I'm in!
Old 07-05-2019, 04:13 AM
  # 133 (permalink)  

Day three begins! My goal for today is to go to bed sober tonight. I'll check in with all of you later. I'm going to look at a puppy today at lunch time. But, I'm thinking that's really not what I need right now. I may cancel the appointment.
Old 07-05-2019, 04:16 AM
  # 134 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome braebear

D
Old 07-05-2019, 05:01 AM
  # 135 (permalink)  

Day 5 here, ate a little too much on the 4th, but doing great other than that. It’s not an “I’ll try” it’s an “I’ll do it” thing. I don’t drink anymore.
Old 07-05-2019, 05:28 AM
  # 136 (permalink)  

Thanks Midton. I won't hassle you on the NA drinks again. I hope you don;t mind me talking to you cos I really want this to be your last class man

As far as unwinding goes...I had a life that was set up to work dawn to dusk - with an hour or two drinking at the end....which became several hours, and then all day by the end,

Drinking was not a good solution for me and it's obviousl;y not for you either.

You need to find some new ways to decompress
Drinkings not working for you.

D
I am drinking NA beers too. I have no desire to get sloppy since I love waking up. It does 2 things for me. Gives me the taste I like and kills the want for the other.
Old 07-05-2019, 06:01 AM
  # 137 (permalink)  

Day 3 here and last night was super difficult. My partner said my face was red and I looked like I was going to explode. I just wanted wine. Period. I was obsessing about it.

Long story short, despite it being Independence Day and lots of fireworks displays to see in the city, I went to bed at 7 o'clock and listened to a YouTube meditation (Sarah Blondin - she has a soothing voice) to help me drift off to sleep.

Today is the first day I haven't woken up depressed. I have my moments, but generally I feel much more positive today.

We can do this guys. No one said it would be easy, but it's going to be sooooo worth it not to be controlled by alcohol. I'm looking forward to that day for all of us.
Old 07-05-2019, 07:07 AM
  # 138 (permalink)  

Day 1 again.

I'm not giving up. I want to stop drinking so bad.
Old 07-05-2019, 07:31 AM
  # 139 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone ☀️
Old 07-05-2019, 07:32 AM
  # 140 (permalink)  

Hanging in over here... on day 4 and it’s usually a tough one for me. So, last night I made sure to get to a meeting and this morning went off to my counsellor. Doing some chores and keeping well fed, and well read to keep myself on track. Hope all are doing well here today!