Notices

Class of July 2019 Part 1

Old 07-03-2019, 10:02 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Dee, I very much appreciate your calming messages...

The good news is, we get better when we stop drinking alcohol. Total remission.

The good news is, it won't last forever.

Just hearing these simple words brings me a lot of comfort. And hearing that within 2 weeks cravings will lessen immensely (CarolD) is another comforting thought.

I remember a long time ago you said "There are so many better things to drink than alcohol". I don't know why, but that stuck with me. There really ARE so many better tasting drinks out there.
Old 07-03-2019, 10:45 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Popping by because I see my friend Citrus here, and I am so very happy!!! ♥♥

Sending love to everyone in the July 19 class: so very glad you are all here.
Old 07-03-2019, 10:48 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

I didn't really want to come post because I wanted to pretend like I can drink tonight...you know pretend like I don't have a problem. My last hangover is still vivid in my mind though and I really, really do not want to feel that way tomorrow. Thinking about filling the cooler without beer though is making me irritable and sad. Sigh. I'm having a pity party I guess but digging in deep to remain sober today. Day 4.
Old 07-03-2019, 11:12 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Hold on tight, Kgirl! You can do it! That voice will say anything to make you believe you dont have a problem. I hear that same argument in my mind, but I have plenty of history to demostrate my problem with drinking. We deserve not to drink. Day five is going to feel fantastic!
Old 07-03-2019, 02:14 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

I am on the struggle bus at the moment as well kgirl. Tonight should be a fun night, but I just want it to be over so I can stop thinking about drinking. I am having a snack and some sparkling water at the moment. Hoping it will lessen my witching hour.

So good to see you Suze (venuscat)! I'm still trying.
Old 07-03-2019, 02:22 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Please sign me up! Finishing up day two here and on my way to another meeting. Let’s see if I can make this time the last time!
Old 07-03-2019, 02:27 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Welcome Sapph21 😊
Old 07-03-2019, 02:34 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Day 5 here and good morning.

I went down the rabbit hold of watching YouTube alcohol related videos last night. One that left a big impact on me was a 1974 interview of Dick Van Dyke where he talks like a sage about alcohol. Inspiring and educational.
Old 07-03-2019, 02:43 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

No wine in the house, thank goodness. It's only Day One and I really want to be strong this time, so I'm posting to be accountable. I know the cravings will pass.

Wishing you all a sober evening tonight.
Old 07-03-2019, 02:56 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Day 7 and just bored at home since the place i work is off this week and I am taking off next week. An hour back , my wife asked me - what happened to you? you seem dull, why don't you go and get your favorite beer . But I am like - what's the end to this? . Anyways holding on..thanks for reading
Old 07-03-2019, 03:52 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

After spending the day going back and forth on drink or don't drink tonight I managed to get home without stopping and buying beer. No beer in the house and we have decided to stay home for the rest of the night soooo I'm well on my way to Day 5! But it totally sucks how bad I wanted to drink today. My AV kept saying "Just one more night, just one more drunk". But what good is that? That's another hangover, another wasted day feeling horrible.

Way to stay strong calmself, ThursdayNight, and Citrus. I'm looking forward to posting again tomorrow morning, clear head with coffee in my hand. The alternative would be me closing my eyes tight willing my miserable feeling body back to sleep but not being able to. Bleh. So, so happy I fought the cravings off today. ODAAT!!
Old 07-03-2019, 03:54 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Welcome all new members!!
Old 07-03-2019, 03:55 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

kgirl, let's fight it today together. wake up with a fresh breath tomorrow - we got this!
Old 07-03-2019, 04:00 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Calmself - thank you! Stay strong....I'm here if you need to vent. I'm just going to chill on the couch in front of the TV tonight. Not exciting...but safe!
Old 07-03-2019, 04:18 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome althea Sapph and ThursdayNight

try not to dwell too much on wasted time guys - I've done more sober in the last few years than I did twenty years drinking

To those struggling this evening - stay strong....you can do this.
One evening is but a few hours.

Distract yourself if you need to.
You'll be so glad you did in the morning

congrats on your week calmself!

D
Old 07-03-2019, 04:28 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Day 4

Originally Posted by KinseyMillhone View Post
Hold on tight, Kgirl! You can do it! That voice will say anything to make you believe you dont have a problem. I hear that same argument in my mind, but I have plenty of history to demostrate my problem with drinking. We deserve not to drink. Day five is going to feel fantastic!
Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Welcome althea Sapph and ThursdayNight

try not to dwell too much on wasted time guys - I've done more sober in the last few years than I did twenty years drinking

To those struggling this evening - stay strong....you can do this.
One evening is but a few hours.

Distract yourself if you need to.
You'll be so glad you did in the morning

congrats on your week calmself!

D
Thank you so much, Dee. I am starting Day 4 here and am finding it difficult to manage the billions of regrets over too many wasted hours. I do find it easier to manage when I have specific, short-term tasks at hand, so I am trying to keep busy. However, I wonder if doing so is just another way to avoid real issues? Would love anyone’s advice on this. Thanks so much in anticipation!
Old 07-03-2019, 04:35 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think day 4 is pretty much about getting though the day, to be honest.
There's time enough to look back at the past - and regrets - when you feel a little stronger?

D
Old 07-03-2019, 04:57 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

I'm on the evening of day 4, too, Althea. Regrets keep bubbling up in my mind, while at the same time my brain is telling me that I should give drinking another chance to develop even more regrets!

The other night I made a plan to make a bracelet, and last night I met a non-drinking friend for dinner and an evening walk. I ate a rice cake before leaving work and listened to the bubble hour podcast on the way home from work to distract me enough to ignore the liquor store. When I got home it was straight to PJs!

I made plans with the kids for tomorrow evening, and I'm currently sitting outside on the patio with a mineral water after dinner. Only a few hours left in the day.

My sleep tracker said I got a total of 2 hours sleep and 3 the night before. I had some very vivid and poignant dreams in that short sleep. Without the poison, though, I managed to do quite well at work despite my lack of sleep. I'm hoping to catch up tonight and have a great day off tomorrow.

Welcome to everyone joining today!
Old 07-03-2019, 04:58 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Althea, something i read recently was - alcoholics either grieve a lot about what happened yesterday (guilt, fear, self-loathing etc.) or worry too much about tomorrow. Being able to relax, enjoy and utilize the current day is something we got to learn. Just my 2 cents...ignore if not applicable.
Old 07-03-2019, 05:58 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I think day 4 is pretty much about getting though the day, to be honest.
There's time enough to look back at the past - and regrets - when you feel a little stronger?

D
Dee, thank you for your encouragement. I will just keep moving forward.