Notices

Class of November 2018 Part 2

Old 11-26-2018, 03:56 PM
  # 401 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by orderfororder View Post
When I relapsed over the summer, I told myself it was because there is more of a draw to having a cold beverage when it's hot out and there are more outdoor events to drink at. But now that it's getting colder, my AV is starting to remind me of the warmth that a few glasses of whiskey can bring or of all the people congregating at bars.

The truth is, I'm an alcoholic looking for excuses to drink. The weather doesn't have anything to do with it. I am staying strong so far and haven't had many cravings recently. Boredom and depression? Sometimes, but it passes. Really determined to move on past this way of living, I don't want it to be who I am anymore. Proud of myself for getting closer and closer to two months.

Hope you are all doing well!
So, so true... the AV can be really creative! Drinking is associated with BOTH celebratory events and wallowing in misery.

At least I am smart enough now to realize what drinking does NOT do... it does NOT quench my thirst... it does NOT help me sleep... it does NOT relieve anxiety. It actually does the exact opposite.

This is definitely the line of thinking that is emphasized in the 30 Day Sobriety Solution, A Naked Mind, and Allen Carr's "Easyway" book. I shouldn't have to keep reminding myself of these things but I guess I do... as silly as that sounds.
Old 11-26-2018, 04:01 PM
  # 402 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Strawberry18 View Post
21 hours . It would be so tempting to down a beer right now to feel normal again.
What a waste of a day it's 4 pm and I've been in bed all day . Told husband I had a headache ( well mostly true) I must go outside and feed the farm now I would have normally done 20000 step by now but I've done 2000 no dog walks no nothing a waste of the day. Disappointed.
Different continent, same struggles. I slept until about 3:00 pm as our office closed today due to inclement weather. Just rotted there while my cat kept coming to beg for attention. I am feeling better now, though.
Old 11-26-2018, 08:27 PM
  # 403 (permalink)  

Thank you all for yesterday X if it wasn't for SR I would have drank again yesterday too.
Ifs 6.30 an enjoying a nice coffee. Much better than yesterday !
Get the kids to school the. Do some housework after my wasted wasted last few days . Will check in late x
Old 11-26-2018, 09:22 PM
  # 404 (permalink)  

The average temperature in the Chicago area in November is 50 degrees Fahrenheit... yet, the temperature has not reached 50 degrees all month. After about 10 inches of snow last night... I have been running errands today and the snow on the roof of my car is sticking to it like a magnet since the temperature has dropped into the teens.

I should also mention that you need the right kind of snow to build a snowman... the wet, heavy snow we just got makes building a snowman really difficult... unless you build a really small one.

Plus, if you live in the northern part of the U.S., property taxes are high because you need to fund things like snowplows, salt to treat the roads, constant road construction, and filling potholes due to the extremes in temperatures.

Then there is the pleasant experience of shoveling/snow plowing that needs to account for wind direction since throwing snow just ends up flying back in your face if you are not careful.

This has been a public service announcement. Don't live in a Northern Climate... especially in the Midwest.
Old 11-26-2018, 09:38 PM
  # 405 (permalink)  

If I never saw another snowflake for the rest of my life... I would be just fine with that.
Old 11-26-2018, 09:49 PM
  # 406 (permalink)  

Hi all day 2 here going to try something different this time so thought I'd join this class hope your are all good
Old 11-26-2018, 10:20 PM
  # 407 (permalink)  

Snow .... Brrrr I'm staying in Greece !!!! I moan about the quakes but at least they don't make you cold !!!
Welcome Alex we can get through day 2 together an if we never drink again will can celebrate milestones together !!!
Old 11-26-2018, 10:33 PM
  # 408 (permalink)  

Morning,
Good to see you got through yesterday strawberry. hope you can re-do your plan and add stuff to it so when the urge strikes you do something different next time.

welcome alex.

so sorry to hear that TJ but great to see you back here so soon and not fall into a full on drinking session. think orderfororder's post is great.

for those of us struggling - have you read this naked mind? It touches on the conscious and unconscious mind and their battle. It's very good. the AVRT book by Trimpney is also excellent and really helps me.

Up early today. The weather here is so wild it woke me Ah well at least I'm sober and will use the extra hour productively to write a post on SR
Think it's going to be even worth in the south -stay safe my UK friends.

Hope everyone has a good day.
Old 11-26-2018, 11:05 PM
  # 409 (permalink)  

Hi im on day 1 but desperate to stop drinking for good, so joined as trying to do more to support myself
Old 11-26-2018, 11:29 PM
  # 410 (permalink)  

Welcome tinkerbeau great to have you join us ☺
Old 11-27-2018, 03:12 AM
  # 411 (permalink)  

Good Morning Friends

OtterIsland… I feel your pain. Our son is basing a lot of his decisions on his girlfriend. It’s very frustrating.

Bonniefloyd… I’m glad you had a nice afternoon with your daughter! I hate putting away laundry. I can’t really figure that one out. It doesn’t make sense! I supposed it’s because it just never stays there and I feel a certain resentment towards it? LOL What kind of puppy do you have?

ClearPath64… The snow. I can’t even. And it’s not even December…

mns1… Welcome! It’s so nice to have you join us

Strawberry18… You sound SO MUCH BETTER! I know this place you are in so well and I believe it’s what’s FINALLY. REALLY. tipped the scales for me. I HATE feeling that way. When I think of all the hours, days, months, years wasted because I couldn’t function due to alcohol poisoning, I get mad! I have gotten more done in the last 18 days than I have in at least a month! It’s crazy. Insanity. Let’s not waste anymore precious time. Deal?

Chaisson… I am on the seacoast of NH - about an hour from Boston (which I love too!) - and am a huge Patriots fan. I can totally relate being so immersed in our childrens lives that we lose a sense of ourselves. My marriage has suffered a lot. Sigh…

CaseyW… Ugh! How frustrating! Why do they have to involve alcohol? So proud of you for avoiding the temptation

Kaily… Those darn cravings sound very persistent! I’m so glad you are not giving in.

ReadyAtLast… Your comment about your degree has got me thinking about my earlier years!

TeeJayVern… Damn snow! ((( hugs ))) “Be careful what you wish for!” Oh, so true… If they only knew. I would do ANYTHING to go back and do things differently. Gosh, the potential I threw away… OMG… your public service announcement is so – sadly – funny! LOL And true. I’m in NH. I DO love the seasons, but in BreakFree’s world, snow should not arrive until Christmas and should leave promptly by the last day of February! Ba-ha-ha… you’re killing me! And we have a two-hour delay this morning. Ugh.

orderfororder… It’s great that you are beginning to recognize and understand your thought patterns and work through them. You sound great!

Alexf91… Welcome! I’m so glad you are here

Tinkerbeau… Welcome! I’m so glad you are here as well
Old 11-27-2018, 03:16 AM
  # 412 (permalink)  

Thank you breakfree i appreciate the support, i need it too as feel so low with myself, i have to change
Old 11-27-2018, 03:20 AM
  # 413 (permalink)  

Good morning all, and a big welcome to Alex and Tinkerbeau. Glad to have you. I second everything TJV said about the snow. I ended up working from home yesterday, which was okay since I didn't have to bother with the extra long commute, but it certainly makes for a long, lonely day.

Strawberry, glad you are feeling better this morning.

Not much flowing in this head of mine this morning. Just wanted to check in and say hello. For everyone facing weather challenges today, stay safe.
Old 11-27-2018, 03:34 AM
  # 414 (permalink)  

Day 15. I have to second RAL’s suggestion about the book This Naked Mind . It’s quite honestly the best book about alcohol I’ve read, and I feel it’s really helped me make it this far.

So I’ve been a lot of pain lately, and I think it’s sciatic nerve related, if my google self-diagnosis is correct. It’s going on a few weeks now. I do get fleeting thoughts of drinking when it starts to affect my mood, which is stupid because that wouldn’t even help. Have any of you ever had sciatic nerve issues? I’ll probably just go see a doctor; maybe they can recommend stretches or something.

And more whining: I’m getting dental surgery later this morning 🎻 🎻 🎻 Oh well, it has to be done!

After that, things start to look up though — the weather is going to be amazing (I’m not trying to rub it in, sorry), so I’ll be getting outside for a long walk. The walking helps with the pain and keeps me in a healthier mindset.

I wont drink today, no matter what!

TJ — I think you’ve scared me straight about snow! I guess I have an overly romanticized idea of it from watching Christmas movies over the years. Your description has disabused me of the “magical winter wonderland” notion I had in my head. I still want to see it one day though, but I’m sure it’s not the same as having to live in it. Anyway, sorry you caved, but I’m so glad youre still with us.

Strawberry — I’m glad you’re feeling better! It sucks that you felt so bad yesterday, but I bet you’ll remember that next time your AV starts whispering to you. You can learn from this and be stronger than before. 🙂 Just being nosy — Were you born in Greece or did you move there? Greece is on my bucket list!

Alex and tinkerbeau — welcome aboard! So glad to have you with us.

Orderfororder — very good point. I had gotten to the point where EVERYTHING was a reason to drink. Existing became my reason to drink.

RAL — Kids do grow up so fast, don’t they? With all the stress the last few years have put me under, so much has been a blur for me. So I’m happy to be sober now, so I can really focus on her and enjoy each stage as she grows up. Isn’t it a good feeling, being 100% present for our little ones?

Breakfree — He’s a lab. The kind that’s super cute, smart, and hilarious. My family teases me about how much I adore him. I refer to him as my kids’ “fur brother” and constantly take photos of him and post them on Instagram with goofy captions. And we have matching bracelet and collar. Does all this make me a crazy lady? 🤔

clearpath — good morning!

i hope everyone has a great day. Stay safe! 💜💜💜
Old 11-27-2018, 03:43 AM
  # 415 (permalink)  

Yesterday I had planned out my day hour for hour. I was so excited to complete this list and began my day with “gusto”. Then I got a text from a friend needing help. The kind of help that will take more than half your day. Then my husband called about a utility bill that only he can handle because my name isn’t on it and he isn’t “handling” it all, but letting them unjustly charge us $120 because he doesn’t want to be inconvenienced. Then my youngest son, who I really needed to be helpful by taking the bus home because I wouldn’t be able to pick him up if I was helping our friend accused me of “caring more about my friend than him”. That conversation ended with him calling me a “dick”. It was 8:30am and I was sitting on my bed watching my day blow up. I wanted to scream or cry… something, anything to get rid of these awful feelings. I was so frustrated with my friend – who I had offered to help several times last week and declined, but I also felt for her situation (long story and not really relevant). I was so angry at my husband for not validating my feelings and for being a lazy, dumb-a$$ about the utility bill. Instead of being angry with our son for treating me that way, he offered to come home and pick him up from school! WHAT??? The project that I planned to work on was not going to happen. I still had to walk the dogs (a huge production that takes over an hour). Gosh I was frustrated. I was paralyzed by my feelings and emotions. I think it took me a good hour to snap out of it. All the while, wishing I were different. Wishing I were a laid back, go-with-the-flow, jump-into-action, ready-to-face-whatever-is-thrown-my-way kind of person. I’m not. At least not right now, but I can work on it. Eventually I snapped out of it and walked the dogs. That helped a little bit. I was still frustrated. I showered, dressed and basically had enough time to drink a cup of coffee before I had to head out to help my friend. It was a highly stressful four hours. I made the mistake of returning a crazy neighbor’s phone call on my way to pick up my friend and that added to my stress. The weather was poor for driving. I was STARVING because I didn’t have lunch. I dropped my friend off at 5:10pm, took a wrong turn and added ten more minutes to my commute home. During that time, I got a text from said friend asking my husband and me to join her and her husband for a celebratory dinner at our favorite watering hole. OMG… perfect storm. My gut was wrenching from starvation and indecision. My husband called and said he was starving and asked when I’d be home. He was no help in figuring out the dinner plan. I was exhausted, starving and totally, completely TEMPTED. And my husband was not a gawd-damn bit of help. I made a turn to hit the grocery store (because I didn’t have anything quick to make at home that sounded appealing), but I didn’t know if I had the energy to shop, drive back home and cook. Again, I was literally paralyzed by indecision and hunger. I made another turn and drove home, all the while yelling at my husband for being no help. I pulled into my driveway and texted my friend back that I needed to deal with my son and we couldn’t make it. Mostly true. I walked into the house and I literally stood at my kitchen island and felt like I was going to drop. I was so weak from hunger and mental exhaustion. I was angry that my husband couldn’t have dinner ready when I walked in (or ever for that matter). I was so freaking angry and weak and hungry and frustrated. I just stood there. And then I took that step. I opened the freezer. I made nasty comments towards my husband. I began dinner. I ate dinner, talked to my son (which went nowhere, but at least we were present) and then spent about 30 minutes brushing the mattes out of my dogs hair in preparation for today’s grooming appointment. I asked my husband to rinse the dishes and I went upstairs, washed my face, brushed my teeth and went to bed. OMGawd. What a day. What a learning experience. After sharing my story with you, I see so many areas I need to work on in my life. I suppose that’s what it’s all about, right? Anyway, not looking for any advice – just wanted to share
Old 11-27-2018, 04:08 AM
  # 416 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad you negiotiated your way through all that BreakFree
Old 11-27-2018, 04:15 AM
  # 417 (permalink)  

Sorry you had a bad day BF. Hope can move forward and learn from it. No advice from me (biting my tongue )
Old 11-27-2018, 04:21 AM
  # 418 (permalink)  

Way to go BreakFree!

So sorry you had such a rough day, but so glad you got through it sober. Your post helps many of us see how others deal with the ups and downs and it is SO very helpful.

Wishing you a much more peaceful day today.

-Otter
Old 11-27-2018, 04:26 AM
  # 419 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. I'm back on day 1.
I'll post more later today after I get a bit more caught up with this thread.
Old 11-27-2018, 04:41 AM
  # 420 (permalink)  

Holy cats, breakfree, that sounds awful! You stayed sober though, and that is truly impressive. I’m not sure what I would have done. I am sending you peaceful, happy vibes right now, in hopes that today is much better.