Notices

Class of November 2018 Part 2

Old 11-25-2018, 03:36 PM
  # 361 (permalink)  

Still with you all. Urges settled but didn't disappear. Dee taught me that its normal to have cravings and urges and it's part of the process.
Old 11-25-2018, 04:25 PM
  # 362 (permalink)  

Day 1

Hello all.
Old 11-25-2018, 04:30 PM
  # 363 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Jillian

D
Old 11-25-2018, 05:01 PM
  # 364 (permalink)  

Thanks to everyone that offered their support today. I truly appreciate it. I was sober 19 of the last 20 days, and I will be sober today.
Old 11-25-2018, 05:15 PM
  # 365 (permalink)  

I forgot to say thank you to BreakFree for your support. It's so hot here and a nice cold drink would go down really well. I am playing the tape through though..one drink leads to one bottle which leads to 2 and possibly 3. Result massive hangover and 2 wasted days. One day wasted drinking the second lying on the couch. Not worth it.
Old 11-25-2018, 05:37 PM
  # 366 (permalink)  

day 5 in the books

End of day 5 for me. Stayed busy with work. Love reading all your posts! So helpful to me!

-Otter
Old 11-25-2018, 05:57 PM
  # 367 (permalink)  

“So, now that I’ve made it nearly 2 weeks, that proves I don’t have a drinking problem, right? Maybe if I try really hard, I can drink moderately.”
Bonnie’s AV

Right, Mr. AV. As the saying goes: Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me 1,574 times, shame on me.

Here’s what really happens: I have one drink, and the switch is flipped. Oh, I think I’ll stop. Well, just one more. Maybe just this one time, I’ll finish the bottle. (It escalates quickly between two glasses and a whole bottle.) Maybe I’ll just open another bottle, just one glass from that one.

OR, maybe I’ll stop after that one glass. I’ll be miserable, but wow, I used every ounce of willpower to prove to myself that I’m such a moderate drinker. Mr. AV is giving me high-fives, saying, “See? You’ve got this!” Then follows the situation as above, perhaps stretched out over a few nights, ending up the same way.

I hate the stupid thoughts that pop up at the weirdest times. Just when I’m feeling good, like I can keep this sobriety thing going. How much sense does that even make, thinking that if I can handle being sober, it means I don’t need to be sober.

Anyway, I told Mr. AV to STFU, and now I’m tattling on him while sipping tea.
Old 11-25-2018, 06:12 PM
  # 368 (permalink)  

Sweetichick— you’re doing so well. Congratulations on day 6!

Primativo — nice job getting through the weekend!

joy — glad you’re still with us.

Hi jillian! Welcome!

You can do this, Clearpath.

congrats on day 5, otter!
Old 11-25-2018, 06:41 PM
  # 369 (permalink)  

I guess I’m back again after a 17 month hiatus. Sober two times now, once for over 2 years and once for 9 months- interestingly it was 17 months of drinking between those two sober periods. I guess it takes 17 months for the wheels to fall off... Glad to be here with you.
Old 11-25-2018, 08:17 PM
  # 370 (permalink)  

Up to 16 inches predicted in the NW suburbs of Chicago with 50-60 mph winds in November... I have not yet embraced sobriety under these type of conditions yet.

Good news is that I can work from home and do not need to travel to work tomorrow.

Plus, I have my future plans to look forward to. Good night, all!
Old 11-25-2018, 08:54 PM
  # 371 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back strength4all

D
Old 11-25-2018, 10:55 PM
  # 372 (permalink)  

Hi to everyone new!!!!!!!!

Bonniefloyd: That made me laugh...…..!

Day 16 here...….

Mariah if you read this come and join my new class, it's great!
Old 11-26-2018, 12:04 AM
  # 373 (permalink)  

It’s so inspiring to hear everyone’s journey and the support here is amazing. Nights are tough but days are much better. Holidays are coming up which is tough. I don’t know if I’m ready to tell the world I’m not drinking yet. My husband was a big step.
Old 11-26-2018, 12:04 AM
  # 374 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee and thanks for all your support and not giving up on me despite me keep coming here and failing.

When I had my sobriety stint from 2012 to 2016 I genuinely thought I would never drink again. I felt so much better physically and mentally. I moved house, moved countries even! Started again. got a new job. started a new life and whilst cautious it worked. I wouldn't say I was happy happy as getting sober highlighted all that was wrong in my marriage. Cut a long story short, I left my husband, met someone else (not necessarily in that order). And still I didn't drink. Jr RAL and I lived alone happily although the break up was messyish. Still I didn;t drink but felt at peace knowing I'd done the right thing. Some 18 months later new Mr RAL and I were in a relationship although not living together and one night in front of the fire he asked me to marry him. We celebrated with champagne. what harm could it do? I didn't miss drinking so couldn't have a problem anymore. It did nothing for me, didnt' really enjoy the taste. But I picked up again a few weeks later. This happened monthly for 5 months then 1 night I got really really drunk and made a complete fool of myself. For the last 2 years Ive been fighting it. Nothing bad has happened YET. I got married 16 months ago and don't intend to ruin that. Jr RAL needs a sober present mother. I know it's only 29 days but feels different this time.

I hopefully you read my tale, not as scary or thinking why bother getting sober for so long just to pick up again? But as a reminder to us all that we really do need to always remain cautious. It didn't hang over me each day or anything and the cravings went, they do in time. But the memory faded. I had forgotten how bad I was, how much drinking made me ill, how awful my life was. I just thought a glass or 2 would be nice. romanticising it which is so so wrong.

Just pouring my heart out this morning!
Hope you all have a good day.
Old 11-26-2018, 12:28 AM
  # 375 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TeeJayVerm View Post
Up to 16 inches predicted in the NW suburbs of Chicago with 50-60 mph winds in November... I have not yet embraced sobriety under these type of conditions yet.

Good news is that I can work from home and do not need to travel to work tomorrow.

Plus, I have my future plans to look forward to. Good night, all!
Oh I'm so envious I love snow but we never get any here. I think I live in the only part of Scotland where it never snows Just think of the sober fun you will have in the snow this year. I was going to suggest making snowmen with your kids but thinking your kids aren't little kids anymore. We can all make snowmen no matter our age.
Old 11-26-2018, 12:34 AM
  # 376 (permalink)  

Thanks Sweetichick - how are you doing today? Keep drinking lots of non alco cool drinks which will cool you down and quell any urges to drink alcohol.

How are you both this morning cLearpath and Strawberry? I hope you are both ok and back here on day 1.

Welcome Jillian and strength4all.
How are you feeling today Kaily? I hope you slept well after your walk and are rejuvenated this morning Are you set to have storms this week? Think we are.

Bonnie - my AV said that after 3.5 years - see my post above stupid me believed it as well. Good on you for not giving in. As I read on here abstinence does not mean control. It never does.

Have a good day all. Off to work now
RAL.x
Old 11-26-2018, 02:17 AM
  # 377 (permalink)  

17 hours past and feel terrible . I can't function at all .
Old 11-26-2018, 02:28 AM
  # 378 (permalink)  

Just an idea Strawberry18, make a selfie video explaining how crap you feel right now. Next time you feel like having a drink, watch that video.

Just a thought.
Old 11-26-2018, 02:45 AM
  # 379 (permalink)  
Administrator

^ I think thats a great idea strawberry?

D
Old 11-26-2018, 03:13 AM
  # 380 (permalink)  

The video is a great video!