Notices

Class of October 2018 Part 1

Old 10-11-2018, 04:24 PM
  # 261 (permalink)  

Just checking in. Tired, so going to bed.
Old 10-11-2018, 04:39 PM
  # 262 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawkeye13 View Post
Finishing up Day 5. Feel good and starting to sleep better.

I agree that putting aside money you would have spent on booze is a great motivator. Even "discount drinking" is expensive.

Save up for a few weeks and treat yourself Poppy
That's the motivation I am using for the trip I am planning for Jan to AZ and CA. The app I use tracks money I have saved.
Old 10-11-2018, 06:39 PM
  # 263 (permalink)  

Hey team,

Just wanted to check in after a few days. Tonight was quite a test hanging with a group that usually drinks a few beers in moderation. I was able to make it through without them questioning me which was nice.

Nights like tonight were never really my problem, but I do not need to slide down the slippery slope. In past attempts at moderation, tonight would have been a non-issue, maybe have a couple beers and head home. The issues for me always occurred on the weekends/special occasions, but always started when I could tell myself “well you did fine only having a couple during the week, you’ll be fine on the weekend.” Often times I was right and the weekend would be uneventful... fast forward a month or two and there would be a massive drinking binge followed by a few days of anxiety. That is why I’m here. Those spells of anxiety and shame spiraling were miserable. Never worth the “fun” that gave rise to them.

Helps to have a place like this just to vent a little and realize that I’m not the only one who was not in control. So thank you to everyone who posts.

Have a good, strong weekend everyone.

Sylvan
Old 10-11-2018, 09:27 PM
  # 264 (permalink)  

I found a SMART meeting that looks promising. The organizer and I have been communicating back and forth tonight. First meeting would be on Tuesday night. I’ll let you know how it goes.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:18 PM
  # 265 (permalink)  

Sylvan92
I can so relate to the weekend bingeing and the Misery when it is over just to do it all again
Thank you for the post
My daily check in
Oct 11 Day 11
Thank you for the motivation here at SR
Old 10-11-2018, 10:45 PM
  # 266 (permalink)  

The temperature where I am at right now in the Chicago suburbs is 38 degrees. This is essentially an injection of steroids to enhance my desperation to move to a Southern Climate! I am looking outside my window and seeing trees with leaves flocking in the wind... and knowing the leaves will be gone in the next week or two.

Recovery is not having to deal with Midwest winter weather anymore... in my own mind.
Old 10-12-2018, 12:32 AM
  # 267 (permalink)  

Good Morning Classmates....

Good to see some new joiners and lots of positive stuff from everyone, apologies for not posting recently. I am on day 25 about to complete week 4 and everything is much better apart from I have felt so so tired this week. Possibly low blood sugar I used to keep that in tact with alcohol. I brought plenty of ice cream and chocolates but am trying to avoid them as much as possible as I lost about 10 pounds in the first 2 weeks after quitting and am quite enjoying being a couple of holes up on my belt. Also in some ways, feeling tired is quite nice.

Come home, crash on the sofa, get drunk, pass out. Totally relate I'm still pretty much doing that except the get drunk and I now go to sleep! Hopefully I will get over this tired period and can be a tad more productive. Pinnacle I like the sound of the drunk to self video, wish I had thought of that. Good to hear Kaily, Hawk and fish got back on plan so quickly after playing with the devil. Pinky good to hear your husband has started to talk to you again hopefully the start of some bridge rebuilding.

I see a few people on here are anti counting days. For me my goal was 1 day then 1 week then 1 month (next week) then I don't know... 90 days now that sounds like a long time so we'll see. I'll be honest I am loving being sober but having a drink is seeming like an option. I thought maybe I could go to the pub next Thursday and then thought yes and I can then come home, crash on the sofa, get drunk, pass out on Friday night too. May as well make a couple of days of it, I can then quit again Saturday. Trouble is that will leave me feeling like death Saturday and my only medicine will be you know what. I'm thinking it through to the end and being part of the October class I guess the end of October is a more manageable goal than 90 days! I had a quit smoking app that counted days etc looked at it occasionally not for some time until this morning, I have quit smoking for 6 years 183 days 23 hours and 31 minutes as of now. I have also saved £13664 not sure where the hell that has gone!!

Been good to post I have been holding it in and now feel strangely reconnected with the October gang.

Happy Friday class and here's to a super sober weekend.
Old 10-12-2018, 03:48 AM
  # 268 (permalink)  

Have to run this morning, so just flying by. Stay strong and away from the booze, friends! I'll be thinking of you all and doing the same
Old 10-12-2018, 08:48 AM
  # 269 (permalink)  

Day 18. My main problem lately is probably something most people would love to have: too much time on my hands. I am not working, single, live alone. Alcohol filled in the time wonderfully. I average 4-5 hours of sleep per night so my days are extremely long and boring.

First world problems.....
Old 10-12-2018, 09:58 AM
  # 270 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wastinglife View Post
Day 18. My main problem lately is probably something most people would love to have: too much time on my hands. I am not working, single, live alone. Alcohol filled in the time wonderfully. I average 4-5 hours of sleep per night so my days are extremely long and boring.

First world problems.....
Hey Wl,

Nice work on the 18 days!

That might be the case in theory, but if I didn't work, which is absolutely no reflection on you, man, I'd be 6' under. So, you must be doing something right. You're pretty self-aware and you don't want to waste your life and that is testemant for all of us being here.

So, keep it up Wl!
Old 10-12-2018, 10:11 AM
  # 271 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Neverthought View Post
Hey Wl,

Nice work on the 18 days!

That might be the case in theory, but if I didn't work, which is absolutely no reflection on you, man, I'd be 6' under. So, you must be doing something right. You're pretty self-aware and you don't want to waste your life and that is testemant for all of us being here.

So, keep it up Wl!
Being unemployed is not by choice. I face many obstacles in finding gainful employment due to the amount of red flags I raise. I can't pass a background check. Have had several job offers rescinded as a result. Also, I have been fired from several jobs the last 10 years directly and indirectly because of my alcoholism
Old 10-12-2018, 10:49 AM
  # 272 (permalink)  

Joining up here. Hello everyone. Good to see some familiar faces and new ones. Day 1 again. I recently managed over 2 months but back to the drawing board. It’s such a terrible thing this addiction.
Old 10-12-2018, 11:14 AM
  # 273 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TeeJayVerm View Post
Recovery is not having to deal with Midwest winter weather anymore... in my own mind.
Please ignore this... it was the insane words of someone who made a stupid decision and used alcohol to deal with the sudden change in temperature. That is pretty much the complete opposite of recovery.

I'll do better today.
Old 10-12-2018, 11:34 AM
  # 274 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wastinglife View Post
Being unemployed is not by choice. I face many obstacles in finding gainful employment due to the amount of red flags I raise. I can't pass a background check. Have had several job offers rescinded as a result. Also, I have been fired from several jobs the last 10 years directly and indirectly because of my alcoholism
Everyone deserves another chance. Keep heading in this direction and your fortitude will prove that your next opportunity will be worth employment.
Old 10-12-2018, 11:36 AM
  # 275 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bluedog1997 View Post
Joining up here. Hello everyone. Good to see some familiar faces and new ones. Day 1 again. I recently managed over 2 months but back to the drawing board. It’s such a terrible thing this addiction.
Thanks for coming and Indeed it is.....Been there, done that!
Old 10-12-2018, 11:59 AM
  # 276 (permalink)  

Hey gang,

Well, I had the old explicable drinking dream last night.....whew. It's insane that is took literally a few minutes to get my bearings straight when I woke up. On the positive side, I slept through the night. That hasn't happened in a long time.

I didn't have time to check yesterday,...super busy day at work and then I had skip out an hour early to go home and cover the pool for the season. We had a cold from come in last night. So, there I am in 72 degree, pouring rain vacuuming the pool. The rain stopped for just enough time to put the cover on. Otherwise, with the high winds today it would have been a pool of leaves beneath the cover for the winter and spring.

Otherwise, nice to hear everyone holding tough and rebounding and returning immediately after a slip.

Though I'm sure to be challenged at any point, I haven't been romancing with the drink lately.

So, here's to 11 days....and a pinched nerve in my neck from sleeping through the night on my side!

Let's stay tough Octsober!
Old 10-12-2018, 12:46 PM
  # 277 (permalink)  
Right now, right here

Hi everyone,
Welcome bluedog

Evening of day 5 today, had a small thought of drink after coming home after a busy week ànd it's Friday, but it passed quickly. I know I'm coming into my danger zone as I'm an irregular drinker also.

I was selected for a course that started yesterday and will run full-time for about 4 months.
Excited and nervous about it because it's an intense course, I will have less time to myself and I hope that I will not go in overdrive. Then again sometimes it's better to keep busy right?

As I have a 1hr commute each way now, I've started to listen to a podcast as someone here suggested (sorry don't remember who) and that's really great!
I'm listening to Recovery Elevator at the moment and really enjoying the insights and stories that people on there share as well.
So thanks for sharing!

Kailey I'm in almost the same timezone you are, so I get nice chunks to read as well ��

Enjoy the weekend, the weather over here will be summery tomorrow as well tomorrow I plan on enjoying that clear headed.
Old 10-12-2018, 01:41 PM
  # 278 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bluedog1997 View Post
Hey Bluedog......Welcome back! Hope you're off to a good start!
Old 10-12-2018, 02:41 PM
  # 279 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Neverthought View Post
Hey Bluedog......Welcome back! Hope you're off to a good start!
Thanks Neverthought. It’s been a stressful day. I talked to my family and confided. It’s no longer a secret. They were supportive thankfully.

I cringe at the thought of the money I’ve spent. Very scary

I look forward to sharing daily and confiding in y’all. It helps to have others who have been there and understand.
Old 10-12-2018, 06:13 PM
  # 280 (permalink)  

End of Day 6 and feeling good.
Cooked a heathy dinner, washed and changed sheets, so off to bed now. . .

Great job everyone!