Notices

Class of October 2018 Part 1

Old 10-22-2018, 07:57 AM
  # 481 (permalink)  
gbv

I need to join this forum and class. I'm tired of living my life based around a bottle of wine. Well, to be honest, usually around a box of wine. It's physically and mentally exhausting.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:46 AM
  # 482 (permalink)  

Day 7 feels like Heaven!
Old 10-22-2018, 02:59 PM
  # 483 (permalink)  

Hello

hi! I’d like to join the October class. Things have gotten really out of control and I don’t want to keep living this way. I feel really bad today, bad about myself, frustrated. I want to do better. I need to do better.
Old 10-22-2018, 03:20 PM
  # 484 (permalink)  

rah555 - welcome aboard glad you're here
Old 10-22-2018, 03:30 PM
  # 485 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rah555 View Post
hi! I’d like to join the October class. Things have gotten really out of control and I don’t want to keep living this way. I feel really bad today, bad about myself, frustrated. I want to do better. I need to do better.
You're in the right place. You can do this
Old 10-22-2018, 05:40 PM
  # 486 (permalink)  

Hey class Just wanted to check in....AV was a little annoying earlier after work & is already teasing me about tomorrow.....funny thing I don't even want to drink really.....just a stupid habit my body needs to break! Easier said than done!

TJV I just had Chili Cheese Fritos the other day ~ SO good!

Getting read to wind down as day 12 comes to a close....Thanks everyone for being here!
Old 10-22-2018, 05:49 PM
  # 487 (permalink)  

Just a quick check in and welcome to those joining the group! Still alcohol free for October here. Have had a few tests and would be easy to blame work stress for making me need a few drinks, but everyone’s stories here keep me chugging along.

Every time I’m tempted I try to recall those days of crippling anxiety and shame after drinking too much. There’s an easy way to never feel those awful feelings again.

Have found that that I have more time for my true interests, which is quite a help as well.

Sylvan
Old 10-22-2018, 06:05 PM
  # 488 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
TeeJay - maybe the problem isnl;t so much fear of boredom as it is lacjk of alternative strategies to fight boredom?

Just a thought.

D
Yes, absolutely! I am trying to build up the strategies but one thing that is still missing is the "personal voice" from someone I personally know who can talk me down from the drinking ledge.

I have been coming here beforehand a lot more often but I am finding out that I am a social creature and benefit from the audible voice of a trusted source to push me in the right direction.

Good thing is that the upcoming weekend is packed... Six Flags Fright Fest with the wife and twins on Friday, a college football game on Saturday, and a 10 or so hour run on a retro arcade game on Sunday where I am trying to reclaim the house high score. (If you need explanation on the last thing, let me know. )
Old 10-22-2018, 06:42 PM
  # 489 (permalink)  

Having crazy dreams. My neighbours complained because I was yelling in my sleep apparently. I was dreaming that I was being chased by an Elephant haha. Well, that was a great safari dream.
Old 10-22-2018, 06:43 PM
  # 490 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gbv View Post
I need to join this forum and class. I'm tired of living my life based around a bottle of wine. Well, to be honest, usually around a box of wine. It's physically and mentally exhausting.
It sure is exhausting! Welcome aboard
Old 10-22-2018, 07:34 PM
  # 491 (permalink)  

I try to make it to my parent's house every Monday night. I love them so much and I'm glad we have a relationship, but, well, family can sometimes be an emotional trigger. I just wanted to publically state that I felt like a piece of gum on the bottom of a shoe during the drive home, and I will not drink about it or anything else. Other than that it was a great night
Old 10-22-2018, 07:48 PM
  # 492 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome Rah and Tetrax

D
Old 10-22-2018, 07:59 PM
  # 493 (permalink)  

Hi classmates
just a quick check in on day 6. Hope all are here and hanging in. I'm too busy with work to post more but read daily and thank you all.
SeaSlug
Old 10-22-2018, 10:09 PM
  # 494 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TeeJayVerm View Post
Yes, absolutely! I am trying to build up the strategies but one thing that is still missing is the "personal voice" from someone I personally know who can talk me down from the drinking ledge.

I have been coming here beforehand a lot more often but I am finding out that I am a social creature and benefit from the audible voice of a trusted source to push me in the right direction.

Good thing is that the upcoming weekend is packed... Six Flags Fright Fest with the wife and twins on Friday, a college football game on Saturday, and a 10 or so hour run on a retro arcade game on Sunday where I am trying to reclaim the house high score. (If you need explanation on the last thing, let me know. )
*Deep Breath*

I am doing a con job on all of you. The truth is that I went back to review many posts from this forum, Facebook, and the like and realized I am not progressing nearly at the rate that I should. The weekend binges fill me with anxiety of extreme proportions the next day... sometimes well into the afternoon, and I keep putting this stuff off.

I set sobriety dates as my phone’s password and the first one was set back in April... then changed to July... then changed to September. It’s pretty pathetic.

By now, I should have lost a lot more weight than I have.

Ultimately, I am turning 50 next year and can’t continue to postpone things and buy time. Many years have passed since I joined this forum but not enough progress has been made.

Enough is enough!
Old 10-22-2018, 11:41 PM
  # 495 (permalink)  
Right now, right here

Hi Everyone,
Going on day 16, been while since I had so many days in between.
Great tips Hawkeye, will be cheking that app out. I always try to join in the free meditations from Deepak/Oprah but those are available for a limited time only and I usually skip several days or stop altogether, although I'm convinced that meditation is useful for basically everything.
I agree, very useful tips here and thanks to technology we have a lot more tools at our fingertips.
So great to see more people joining us...welcome & forza!!
Cravings are not too bad at the moment, but boy I had a dream last night: I stumbled and had to go back to day 1, was soooooo relieved it was just a dream.
Originally Posted by TeeJayVerm View Post
I already had my "weekly relapse" on Friday this week... so trying my best to behave today. I scheduled an 8:00 am meeting at work tomorrow just to increase the incentive to behave myself.
Great proactive thinking!
As for other tips. I’m not a doctor so not giving any advice in that regard, but a few weeks ago I stumbled on an old book about supplements on the flea market. The use of supplements always interests me in regards to my allergies.
Wasn’t aware at first but it also mentions alcoholism and that supplements can help. For instance brewer’s yeast (contains almost every b vitamin) which my family and I are taking now anyway (to prepare for winter). If it’s not against forum rules (?) I’d be happy to post what else it says about that.
Have a great day
Old 10-23-2018, 12:06 AM
  # 496 (permalink)  

Day 21. I've reduced my anti-drepressent medication significantly and I'm in a such a horrible withdrawal I can barely go through my day
Old 10-23-2018, 12:53 AM
  # 497 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Justin - did you do that with a Drs involement. ot just off your own bat?

Hi Ben - I don't think you necessarily need to be spiritual to get into recovery but often that's the only language we have to describing what occurs?

TeeJay - I don't feel conned

you may have been conning yourself but having been there, I think I have a pretty good idea of where you've been and where you're at now.

Throw everything you have at this - permanent lasting change really is possible, with enough action behind it.

D
Old 10-23-2018, 01:27 AM
  # 498 (permalink)  
Right now, right here

Originally Posted by Justin00 View Post
Day 21. I've reduced my anti-drepressent medication significantly and I'm in a such a horrible withdrawal I can barely go through my day
Hope you're doing this with the help of a doctor indeed Justin, a lot of times slow is the way to go.
Maybe a bit much all at the same time?

For myself I feel like this with food also, I try not to use not drinking as an excuse to eat more rubbish, but in moments where I have to choose I'll choose a rubbish food...because that never gave me blackouts, let me insult people and become stuborn or let me fall with my head on the pavement
Old 10-23-2018, 01:49 AM
  # 499 (permalink)  
Administrator

For those new to the site, we usually close threads at 500 posts to stop them getting too unwieldy.

We then open a continuation of the thread

We continue here:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-part-2-a.html

D