Notices

Class of October 2018 Part 1

Old 10-03-2018, 04:51 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Hi everyone.
I'm day 1 after a bad binge...........again. I need to focus and get sober. I think this last binge has pushed my husband too far now to the point of leaving me.
It can't go on I need to get sober and get my life back. As someone else put you only get 1 life, very true
Old 10-03-2018, 05:22 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Filling the previous drinking time is key Wood. That is a critical part of the sobriety plan for me.

Any hobbies you want to start or return to?

Things like puzzles are also helpful for me just as distractions when I used to drink.
Old 10-03-2018, 05:34 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Hey all,

October 3rd day 3 here for me. Still fighting the feelings of anxiety, shame, and regret after an overindulgent weekend but seeing the light at the end of that tunnel. I’ve been taking some extra personal time this week to shore up my resolve and make sure this is the last time for these bad feelings.

Although I am very early in the process, I have found writing down my reasons to quit, reading stories of others here and elsewhere, spending alone time in self reflection, and staying in contact with friends help me immensely.

I believe my next step will be to tell those close to me what I am up to.

Have a good day all,
Sylvan
Old 10-03-2018, 05:57 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Light at the end of the tunnel! Yes, absolutely.

I'm staying busy, but sometimes the business is itself part of the problem, fueling the feeling that I "need" or "deserve" a drink after work. I wish I could turn off my brain for a few hours every day without alcohol. Working on finding new strategies. Have been for a while. But it's hard.
Old 10-03-2018, 06:25 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Hey gang...

Nice to hear everyone sharing their feelings. It's a positive step for recovery.

I've read some comments on sobriety and everything going slowly as well as being bored. Yes, I know the feeling. I try to look at this way though, I'm 48, my son is growing up so quickly, so, I'll accept life slowing down. Whatever works, right?

Perhaps everything seems to go by so quickly when we're drinking because it creates a sense that we're out of control. Maybe it's not a sense, but reality.

Anyway glad to be back and part of this class.
Old 10-03-2018, 07:49 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Go sober, October!
Count me in! Day 3
Old 10-03-2018, 08:52 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Woke up clear-headed; no regrets, no shame!

Keeping on!

Fishy
Old 10-03-2018, 09:14 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Great job everyone! Productive morning for me too.

How are those who haven't posted yet? Any support we can offer?
Old 10-03-2018, 09:34 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Oct 3rd
3rd Day
Let's not drink today
What do ya say?
Old 10-03-2018, 10:35 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

pinky, my spouse was angry and close to leaving too at one point.
Getting and staying sober is the best thing you can do.

Trust and peace can come back over time, but when you've hurt someone over and over with drinking, and broken promises, time just takes time, if you know what I mean.

You can heal your relationship and yourself. Be kind to you and don't pick up and don't beat yourself up. Just move forward.
Old 10-03-2018, 11:15 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Busy week so far and trying not to get *too* busy. Day 17 today.

I've been known to overwhelm myself in early sobriety with work and perfectionism and catching up on all the things I let fall off the table while drinking.

Trying to remind myself I don't have to do everything all at once. I'm planning some time off work too, asking myself what is really important, and letting some things go. Keep reminding myself every day that sobriety is my number one focus. Whatever it takes.
Old 10-03-2018, 11:21 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

One step at a time / One thing at a time
Old 10-03-2018, 01:43 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawkeye13 View Post
pinky, my spouse was angry and close to leaving too at one point.
Getting and staying sober is the best thing you can do.

Trust and peace can come back over time, but when you've hurt someone over and over with drinking, and broken promises, time just takes time, if you know what I mean.

You can heal your relationship and yourself. Be kind to you and don't pick up and don't beat yourself up. Just move forward.
Thank you so much for this. I so desperately want my marriage back and my life
Old 10-03-2018, 01:54 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Poppy46 View Post
I've been known to overwhelm myself in early sobriety with work and perfectionism and catching up on all the things I let fall off the table while drinking.

Trying to remind myself I don't have to do everything all at once. I'm planning some time off work too, asking myself what is really important, and letting some things go. Keep reminding myself every day that sobriety is my number one focus. Whatever it takes.
I'm glad you wrote this, because it's been weighing on me as well. I've just been looking around thinking, well, I have to get this, that and the other thing and that just getting started.

I've been telling myself the same, do what I can do, when I can do it.

Good stuff......
Old 10-03-2018, 03:35 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

I was on the September board but with no great shock here i am joining you all here because i screwed up again. I dont want to write a bunch here, im thinking of starting a online journal here anyway. But my marriage is on the rocks. We both are alcoholics and thankfully we are both on the same page, we both want to stop drinking. But we have tried to stop many many times. It never sticks. We are on the brink of divorce and i am a depressed mess. Anyway check out my journal if u feel like it. Nice to meet u all. I look forward to learning about everyone here.
Old 10-03-2018, 05:38 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Welcome Letsdance. I can't imagine what it's like for an alcoholic to live with another alcoholic. I am also struggling to stay sober and miserable. Fortunately, I am not in a relationship so I can focus on myself. My parents are both problem drinkers so I think I have an idea of what your dynamic is like with your marriage.
Old 10-03-2018, 06:55 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Poppy46 View Post

Same here, Poppy! Have to fight the perfectionism
Old 10-03-2018, 06:57 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

I am super tired. Normally, I'd decide that because I'm super tired I should definitely drink a whole bottle of wine. But maybe I'll just try going to sleep? Crazy idea, huh?
Old 10-03-2018, 08:48 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Great idea GreenSweater
Get some rest
Good for you
Way to think it through
Old 10-03-2018, 10:32 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Day 18 - My first ever drinking dream. It was new year and my birthday wrapped into one. Something tipped me over to wanting a drink [ unfortunately I can’t remember that bit ]. I kept sneaking beers into the fridge but when I went to get them my family had taken them out. Was trying to work out a way to get them chilled without anyone knowing then I woke up. Lots of non drinking sub plots with various people from my past. Not sure to be happy or sad I didn’t get drunk in my dream.

October 4th classmates I AM happy to say I am also still sober in real life. Wishing you all a super day. I have a challenge today that I always go to the pub after work on a Thursday with my boss, we just have a couple of pints then I come home and finish the job alone. I’ve managed to skip the last 2 Thursdays not sure I am going to be able to today and I’m not ready to come clean about where I am with my drinking. That’s a few hours away so I have some time to work out a plan!

What’s your motivation to be here? Mine is I think I deserve a better future and I won’t get that drinking so am kind of looking at gaining something new rather than losing the beer.

Pinky I drank my way out of my marriage, I loved my wife I tried to stop but I was stopping for her not for me. As Hawk said its repairable and it doesn’t sound though it’s too late for you yet. I know I could have saved my marriage but sadly I must have loved alcohol more than my wife and I truely did love her. Stop for yourself find your own reasons and your husband will also reap the benefits. I wish you well.