Notices

Class of July 2018 Part 2

Old 07-28-2018, 04:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

Class of July 2018 Part 2

last part here:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...rt-1-a-21.html (Class of July 2018 Part 1)

D
Old 07-28-2018, 04:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Ben123

D
Old 07-28-2018, 09:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Closing in on two weeks. Feels like a very long time ago when I woke up on a Sunday morning hung over, suffering motion sickness, and feeling crippling anxiety but I'm glad that it has led me to this point in my recovery.
Old 07-28-2018, 11:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good to be back

Looking forward to today, great sleep and feeling content
Old 07-29-2018, 03:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good morning all. Three weeks today. I guess sometimes I'm a little slow, but I think I finally figured something out. I've been wondering about the hangover after drinking, seems so much harder and longer at my age, but at the same time, coming off a period of being sober, I don't really feel like I'm completely starting over either. It finally hit me that one of the hardest parts of quiting drinking is figuring out what to do with yourself during the time of day when you would normally be drinking. I already had that part figured out before I relapsed. Just thinking through the process outloud
Old 07-29-2018, 08:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi folks. Very thankful to have made it through yesterday. We had a neighborhood picnic and the temptation was very strong just to have a few beers. The interesting thing is that I noticed that not everyone was drinking and no one was drinking irresponsibly. Those who were drinking had a glass or two of wine or a beer or two and that was it. That would NOT have been me if I had been drinking. I would have started early, probably done a shot or two before we left the house to kick start the buzz, and I would have been properly drunk by the end of it. Still -- it was awfully hard sitting there. I drank every one of my diet ginger beers to keep something in my hand that was safe.

Woke up clear headed and jumped on the elliptical for 30 min. Good start to Day 17.

Congrats on three weeks, Bob - and welcome Ben!
Old 07-29-2018, 10:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats to all those made it through the month of July (almost). Just like Rusty, I had an interest night last night ( Saturday night). Today is my Day 7, yeah. We had my wife's best friend and her family visiting from FL, and had a gathering at our house, about 20+ people for dinner last night. Everyone was drinking wine or beer. I made dinner (pulled chicken, beef brisket), but I was stressed all day about how the evening was going to go, since this is my first time with a gathering since I stopped 7 days ago. I surprised myself last night. I sat there outside and carry on conversations while they all had drinks in their hands. I didn't have any urge at all, ended up watching them hammered and watched them their behaviors, slurred speech, tipsy, and I thought to myself, I am so glad I was sober. By all means, I was not judging anyone. I was just glad I didn't make an ass out of myself like I used to. I thank God for giving me strength and courage to stay strong during that moment last night.
Old 07-29-2018, 10:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TeeJayVerm View Post
Closing in on two weeks. Feels like a very long time ago when I woke up on a Sunday morning hung over, suffering motion sickness, and feeling crippling anxiety but I'm glad that it has led me to this point in my recovery.
Congratulations on reaching two weeks
Old 07-29-2018, 10:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

How is everyone feeling today?

What are your feelings on alcohol free beer? I got through a 6 pack the other evening in 60 mins. I Think I consume everything with an insatiable appetite. In France at the mo and have been getting stuck into the pastries. Not missing alcohol at all really.

Not being complacent though. I know there will be tougher tests ahead.

Best sober wishes to all of you this fine evening
Old 07-29-2018, 11:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I知 clocking out of here for the day. Lovely day, very relaxed, I knew in the morning my normal triggers were not expected today so I felt mellow. Still slightly scared of course, in case my av really tripped me up in complacency!!

I値l answer question on non alcohol beer - hate it! One good thing about not drinking alcohol is drinking stuff that tastes better 😉

And I値l ask a question, maybe for those who have been sober ages. When you feel confident and relaxed about not drinking, is that something to be enjoyed or wary about? Loved today being confident about not drinking but this in itself worried me 🧐
Old 07-29-2018, 12:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Non-alcohol beer, in my opinion, is a state of mind. If you drink it, you're pretending instead of just accepting and drinking something that tastes better. I face something very similar soon. Am about to celebrate 35th wedding anniversary and one of the traditions we've had for 34 years is to finish off the night with Irish Coffee. Up until 3 weeks ago, I figured with all the history and such, that I could handle 1 Irish Coffee and then off for bed. Not any more. The next answer down the line is to have a virgin Irish Coffee. Nope. The best alternative, in my opinion, is to start a new, different tradition without the pretending, kinda like N/A beer.
Old 07-29-2018, 03:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

NA beer led me back to the real stuff. I was indulging in all the associated behaviours with drinking beer but no buzz.

I started missing the buzz...

D
Old 07-29-2018, 06:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Ditto for me on the NA beer. I feel that would be too close to the real thing and just would make me crave the real thing. Ginger beer on the other hand...
Old 07-29-2018, 11:37 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good morning from Scotland. Hoping I can join Class of 2018. Only on day 2 here. xx
Old 07-29-2018, 11:52 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome ShenzyT

D
Old 07-30-2018, 04:04 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Just made it!

Only just made it into this month, and only on Day 1, but I think it's a good idea to join the group. As a previous poster said, it's what I do in the evening now when I don't drink. Eat chocolate?! And if I'm honest, I know I'm going to miss the lovely feeling that I get initially from alcohol.
Old 07-30-2018, 04:18 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
nmd

Welcome shenzyt!

If na beer is a one-for-one replacement it will never satisfy and I've found myself in the past resenting not having a "real" beer. Whatever works for you though, it's certainly better to reach for an na beer than an alcoholic drink. Its good to have a variety of things to drink though, and work on a variety of tools for dealing with cravings.

Things that have helped me survive a craving for a drink:
- Minding HALT
- urge surfing (kind of like observing what you are feeling from the outside, and watching it pass)
- deep breathing or meditation exercises,
- learning how to say no to a drink
- learning how to walk away from a bad situation (be kind to yourself, you don't have to live with temptation)
- telling myself I can have the drink if I wait one hour (or one day, etc). Drinking is an impulsive and immediate gratification thing. When i've waited, I find im long past the urge and forgot about the drink

Had some urges to drink this weekend at a festival with the kids. Lots of craft beers available unfortunately. I indulged myself food wise. :-) not sustainable long term as I'd gain too much weight, but we had a good time and I made it through sober
Old 07-30-2018, 04:47 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
nmd

Originally Posted by Ben123 View Post
I知 clocking out of here for the day. Lovely day, very relaxed, I knew in the morning my normal triggers were not expected today so I felt mellow. Still slightly scared of course, in case my av really tripped me up in complacency!!

I値l answer question on non alcohol beer - hate it! One good thing about not drinking alcohol is drinking stuff that tastes better 😉

And I値l ask a question, maybe for those who have been sober ages. When you feel confident and relaxed about not drinking, is that something to be enjoyed or wary about? Loved today being confident about not drinking but this in itself worried me 🧐
Not sober for ages but have been sober before. I would say definately enjoy it, celebrate it and have fun! Being sober isn't a punishment, it is a gift. Watch out for complacency though, returning to drinking usually just means going back to where you left off.
Old 07-30-2018, 05:13 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
nmd

Originally Posted by Threevowels3 View Post
Only just made it into this month, and only on Day 1, but I think it's a good idea to join the group. As a previous poster said, it's what I do in the evening now when I don't drink. Eat chocolate?! And if I'm honest, I know I'm going to miss the lovely feeling that I get initially from alcohol.

Welcome threevowels!
Old 07-30-2018, 06:27 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hello July-ers. Checking in for the middle of the day here in the UK. Hope you are all good.

Today is another sober one for me, I need some space to myself in next hour as work has been full on. A little bit of time to do the right stuff will keep me safe today.

Have a good one