Notices

Class of July 2018 Part 2

Old 07-30-2018, 07:20 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Another Monday - and glad to be clear headed. Day 18. My daily routine is getting easier and I'm feeling good, but I occasionally have the thoughts float by of "see - you've gone almost three weeks. You can drink normally, just have a few beers today. you've earned it" Checking in here and reading posts helps, and I read someone talking about "playing it forward" to the conclusion I rationally know I'll end up at, and that is helping too. Hope everyone is well.
Old 07-30-2018, 07:59 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Day 8 here and feeling great. Really no urge to drink anything, but I know that will come soon. For the first time in my life I have vowed to never have another drink and that choice has freed me more then any choice I can remember making in a long time
Old 07-30-2018, 08:21 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hey class! Mind if I join? Better late than never, right?! It's Day 7 for me and I just found this forum yesterday and read all of part one already. 😀 I'm 39, a heavy drinker for the last 5 years (aside from my pregnancy) and it really escalated this last year. I am a single mom of 3 with a great career and was walking a fine line between no one knowing and something terrible happening and not being able to keep this secret anymore. So here I am. I'm reading, journaling, meditating and going to the gym every day. I can't believe it's been a week and I'm still chugging along like the little engine that could! Your stories and vulnerability inspired me to post and join you.
Have a great Monday!
Old 07-30-2018, 10:06 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hi Jamie. Welcome! I like how you put that -- I was right on the edge of no one knowing and something terrible happening too. Its a wonder I haven't gotten a DUI or worse or had something else awful happen, but it would only have been a matter of time. You'll find lots of support around here.
Old 07-30-2018, 11:09 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Good day all. Day 22 here. Class is really filling out. That's great. The more perspectives, the better. Welcome to all the recent additions.
Old 07-30-2018, 02:44 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rustygolf View Post
Hi Jamie. Welcome! I like how you put that -- I was right on the edge of no one knowing and something terrible happening too. Its a wonder I haven't gotten a DUI or worse or had something else awful happen, but it would only have been a matter of time. You'll find lots of support around here.
I'm disgusted with myself for the risky behavior I engaged in this last year. The only thing that's making me feel better right now is making healthy choices every day and putting more distance between that time in my life and this fresh start. Glad you're here and doing so well!
Old 07-30-2018, 03:04 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jamie39 View Post
I'm disgusted with myself for the risky behavior I engaged in this last year. The only thing that's making me feel better right now is making healthy choices every day and putting more distance between that time in my life and this fresh start. Glad you're here and doing so well!
Yes - I know the feeling. I'm ashamed of the stupid stuff I did in the past but every day is another day on the positive side of the ledger. Keep moving forward!
Old 07-30-2018, 05:11 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome jamie threevowels3 and Rugger

for those who are new to the class threads. we move each monthly thread to our sister forum, the Daily Support forum, at the end of each particular month.

We do that so the new Class of August thread can take your place here in Newcomers.

Nothing else changes - those who want to are free to move to August as well if they like, but the July thread will continue on....

D
Old 07-30-2018, 06:15 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hi all, so I was good for about 2weeks for dry July... which is actually a huge accomplishment if you look back on my 3 year history. I fell off the tracks due to a bday celebration but have dusted myself off and am on again. Does this dry July forum continue? Or do I need to join a dry August forum? I prefer to stay with all of you!!!
Old 07-30-2018, 07:32 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I was traveling with my boss today. He is a long time friend and long time drinking buddy.

After dinner, we went to the hotel and he asked the front desk about nearby bars... because I know he likes "talking shop" over a few drinks. I said I would be happy to come along but I would not drink.

Then he asked if my preference was going out or simply going to my room. I opted to go back to my room (since we already ate and we would go to a place for the sole purpose of drinking).

I apologized and he understood. I hesitated to admit to him that I am not drinking out of concern that he would wonder if I had a more serious problem. I wouldn't think so because he knows I am trying to maintain healthier habits across the board. (Perhaps he isn't as surprised as I think based on my performance at work? Hmmmm...)

AV tapped me on the shoulder during the drive and I struggled to decide how to handle the situation, but I also have been in this position several times this year and know what the result would have been if I didn't hold my ground. 1-2 drinks today... 3-4 tomorrow... back to my previous peak level of consumption by the time the weekend rolls around.

Day 16... am I having fun yet?
Old 07-30-2018, 07:33 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
nmd

Good for you on coming back forme247

Yup, this thread wI'll continue, after August it will just be under the "newcomers daily support" forum instead on "newcomers to sobriety". Youll see a bunch of past sober classes there still active
Old 07-30-2018, 07:54 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nmd View Post
Good for you on coming back forme247

Yup, this thread wI'll continue, after August it will just be under the "newcomers daily support" forum instead on "newcomers to sobriety". Youll see a bunch of past sober classes there still active
Thank you nmd! I look forward to the continued support!
Old 07-30-2018, 08:07 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Administrator

thanks nmd - welcome ForMe
D
Old 07-30-2018, 10:20 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I’ll be glad to stick with this thread. Good luck to the Augusters too

Woke up and have the day planned, I’m beginning to enjoy being sober. The difference for me, but also for my wife and kids, is ridiculous. How did I carry on for so long ruining my and their lives? If I thought about it too long the shame would crush me. So much missed it makes me want to weep

Not today though. Another day doing the stuff I need to
Old 07-31-2018, 01:42 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone, from a sunny N/E of Scotland.
How's everyone today ?
Day 3 here for me.....
I'm absolutely shattered …… slept great last night but woke up feeling like I've been hit by a bus.
xxx
Old 07-31-2018, 04:46 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Today is Day 30 for me. Making it to 30 days makes me feel like I’m on to something this time. My big milestone is going to be a year. Never gone a year.

Thanks everyone, for your help and concern. It makes the difference.
Old 07-31-2018, 04:58 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
nmd

Congrats treebeard on 30 days!
Old 07-31-2018, 05:19 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats treebeard

D
Old 07-31-2018, 06:49 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Congrats on 30d Treebeard. Thats awesome. I've never hit a year either, so I look forward to us both posting next July when we've hit it.
Old 07-31-2018, 06:54 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Congrats treebeard! That’s awesome!