View Single Post
Old 07-30-2018, 04:18 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
nmd

Welcome shenzyt!

If na beer is a one-for-one replacement it will never satisfy and I've found myself in the past resenting not having a "real" beer. Whatever works for you though, it's certainly better to reach for an na beer than an alcoholic drink. Its good to have a variety of things to drink though, and work on a variety of tools for dealing with cravings.

Things that have helped me survive a craving for a drink:
- Minding HALT
- urge surfing (kind of like observing what you are feeling from the outside, and watching it pass)
- deep breathing or meditation exercises,
- learning how to say no to a drink
- learning how to walk away from a bad situation (be kind to yourself, you don't have to live with temptation)
- telling myself I can have the drink if I wait one hour (or one day, etc). Drinking is an impulsive and immediate gratification thing. When i've waited, I find im long past the urge and forgot about the drink

Had some urges to drink this weekend at a festival with the kids. Lots of craft beers available unfortunately. I indulged myself food wise. :-) not sustainable long term as I'd gain too much weight, but we had a good time and I made it through sober