Notices

Class of July 2018 Part 2

Old 08-01-2018, 11:27 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Hey everyone - i've been lurking quietly in the background -- today is day #8 and I hope to keep pinning each day down to win the battle!
Old 08-01-2018, 11:47 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Yes rusty, teejay and forme. It’s a cycle I’ve been through too. It is weird what the brain does. I’m at day 8 (I’m NOT counting days!!) and actually it’s not been too bad. I’ve had days off the booze to prepare physically in the run up to this. But I’m always scared as I’ve done this before and fecked it up.

I’m really trying not to think about it too much, just not drink today. I’ve taken on advice from old-stagers and am spending time each day on meditation and prayer...no idea what I’m doing but I do it anyway. I think it just gives me a bit of time each day to remember what I’m doing (or not doing) so I don’t get swept along. Also on gratitude which is helping me be less resentful/angry/moody

It’s always worth remembering what was going on before I gave up - drunk every day for about 15 years. Kids growing up in front of me and me barely noticing. Brothers getting married and me sleep walking through. I really can’t go back, it hurt too much. Stupid fecking substance
Old 08-01-2018, 06:45 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Happy to report I’m going to bed with a clear sober head again. First time in a week, when I fell off the wagon. Happy to be back on track again!
Old 08-01-2018, 07:20 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

I came to the conclusion that I have been hanging around the apartment too much lately. I started to feel anxious and my resolve weaken earlier today.

Thankfully, I got out tonight for a few hours and feel a lot better now. I need to participate in more activities outside of the house. (I'm racking my brain trying to come up with new ideas. Exercising more regularly and vigorously is definitely on that list.)
Old 08-01-2018, 07:22 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ForMe247 View Post
Happy to report I’m going to bed with a clear sober head again. First time in a week, when I fell off the wagon. Happy to be back on track again!
Please come back here tomorrow and tell us how you felt when you woke up in the morning. I love those reminders of how much better it feels waking up in the morning during sobriety. Perhaps you can bottle up that feeling here and refer back to it when the AV starts talking to you.

Welcome back!!
Old 08-01-2018, 07:32 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Hey guys. Day 24 here. Just wanted to share something with the class that happened to me today. Have been a drinker for most of 40 years. I was diagnosed with heart disease 23 years ago. Stopped for a few years at that point before starting again. When you're drinking, that stuff doesn't matter. Anyway, 6 months ago, I had a heart check that was quite dismal and didn't really show much hope for making it much longer. In 2018, I stopped drinking except for a couple of bad decisions from that voice in my head. Went to the cardiologist today and my heart has made a dramatic recovery and the dr was talking about me growing to be an old man. This is a direct result of not drinking! I'm 58 and now excited about upcoming retirement. Just wanted to share
Old 08-01-2018, 10:28 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bobdrop View Post
Hey guys. Day 24 here. Just wanted to share something with the class that happened to me today. Have been a drinker for most of 40 years. I was diagnosed with heart disease 23 years ago. Stopped for a few years at that point before starting again. When you're drinking, that stuff doesn't matter. Anyway, 6 months ago, I had a heart check that was quite dismal and didn't really show much hope for making it much longer. In 2018, I stopped drinking except for a couple of bad decisions from that voice in my head. Went to the cardiologist today and my heart has made a dramatic recovery and the dr was talking about me growing to be an old man. This is a direct result of not drinking! I'm 58 and now excited about upcoming retirement. Just wanted to share
Great news bob that’s amazing!!!!!!
Old 08-02-2018, 12:46 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Sorry - don't know how to delete a message.
Old 08-02-2018, 12:49 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rustygolf View Post
The last three weeks have been hard at times, but it feels like I've somehow created a calm spot in the storm by surrendering to just being sober.
This is great Rusty - it's what it's about isn't it ? Just surrendering / accepting being sober. It's a hard acceptance. I do ok - then last night was out grocery shopping, tried to avoid the isle with the wine - but could see it out the corner of my eye......the thought of never drinking red wine again was overwhelming for a minute ……and I thought "one day at a time …. ".....
We will get there.....
xx
Old 08-02-2018, 01:05 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Administrator

really glad to read that bobdrop

D
Old 08-02-2018, 01:06 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone.
How's everyone doing today ?

Bobdrop - that's great news, brilliant.

ForMe247 - waking up in the morning without a drink is an amazing feeling.

Hey TeeJay - Glad you got out last night - evenings at home are my worse time - definitely witching hour for me.....I'm doing the same, trying to do more in the evenings.

Hey Leo21 Congrats on Day 8

Ben123 - totally agree with what you're saying "trying not to think about it too much", it's overwhelming ….. one day at a time.

Have a great sober day everyone. I have to work this morning (lucky I work from home) then hoping to get out this afternoon with the kids.

Starting to panic abit about the weekend - this will be the 1st one sober for a long time. Friday night = lots of red wine …..

Old 08-02-2018, 02:01 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Yo Shenzy

Thursday today, don’t think about Friday! 24 hours sober today will be the only thing you can do to prepare for Friday!!!!

(I like sport and there is a phrase in some events like the Marathon, in the early stages - ‘You cannot win it at his stage but you can sure as hell lose it’. It means to win you have to be patient, but if you do something daft like go too fast or get left behind you can lose the race early on.

That’s like my sobriety. I can’t become a settled sober veteran today, as much as I’d love that. But I could feck it all up royally if not careful.

Sober today and then post on here Friday and be glad you don’t need that guilt Saturday 👍👍👍👍👍👍

Originally Posted by ShenzyT View Post
Good morning everyone.
How's everyone doing today ?

Bobdrop - that's great news, brilliant.

ForMe247 - waking up in the morning without a drink is an amazing feeling.

Hey TeeJay - Glad you got out last night - evenings at home are my worse time - definitely witching hour for me.....I'm doing the same, trying to do more in the evenings.

Hey Leo21 Congrats on Day 8

Ben123 - totally agree with what you're saying "trying not to think about it too much", it's overwhelming ….. one day at a time.

Have a great sober day everyone. I have to work this morning (lucky I work from home) then hoping to get out this afternoon with the kids.

Starting to panic abit about the weekend - this will be the 1st one sober for a long time. Friday night = lots of red wine …..

Old 08-02-2018, 05:18 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  
Administrator

I used to get drunk every Friday night. Then I didn't.
It's very very possible Shenzy

if you have no other strategies yet, stick close to SR

D
Old 08-02-2018, 06:27 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TeeJayVerm View Post
I came to the conclusion that I have been hanging around the apartment too much lately. I started to feel anxious and my resolve weaken earlier today.

Thankfully, I got out tonight for a few hours and feel a lot better now. I need to participate in more activities outside of the house. (I'm racking my brain trying to come up with new ideas. Exercising more regularly and vigorously is definitely on that list.)
I’m looking for new ideas to get me out of my apartment more also. Any suggestions are welcome... taking a class, joining a group, or volunteering at an organization? Suggestions needed to help fill my evenings.
Old 08-02-2018, 06:31 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Please come back here tomorrow and tell us how you felt when you woke up in the morning. I love those reminders of how much better it feels waking up in the morning during sobriety. Perhaps you can bottle up that feeling here and refer back to it when the AV starts talking to you.

Welcome back!!
Hi TeeJay! I slept so good last night and over 8 hours! I needed it. I feel great today and not foggy! I’m happy to say I’m off to a productive and another sober day! Thanks for the support.
Old 08-02-2018, 02:50 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Awesome medical news, Bob!

I'm on three weeks today. I've been keeping myself busy and filling the time. Worked out money night, played golf tuesday night, worked out last night, and today I'm working from home with my kids. I really haven't had a chance to let the AV get a word in except for after golf when a folks were having cocktails after the round. I had a couple tacos and an Arnold Palmer and excused myself early. There was a moment there where I thought it looked really tasty, but I let it pass and was happy to be home.

Keep it up folks.
Old 08-02-2018, 04:58 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Guess who stayed sober today??? Me!
One day at a time...
Old 08-02-2018, 05:00 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rustygolf View Post
Awesome medical news, Bob!

I'm on three weeks today. I've been keeping myself busy and filling the time. Worked out money night, played golf tuesday night, worked out last night, and today I'm working from home with my kids. I really haven't had a chance to let the AV get a word in except for after golf when a folks were having cocktails after the round. I had a couple tacos and an Arnold Palmer and excused myself early. There was a moment there where I thought it looked really tasty, but I let it pass and was happy to be home.

Keep it up folks.
Great job rustygolf! Any tips how to socialize in public, with colleagues, or friends without a drink would be appreciated.
Old 08-02-2018, 06:55 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

ForMe247, I thought a lot about how to socialize and not drink.

Primarily, I have been avoiding the "Happy Hour/Night Out" type events (which centers around drinking) but still can manage through things like sporting events, concerts, and meals where drinking is an ancillary activity. That seems to be working well so far... people usually don't ask or even notice that I am not drinking.

As far as being at home is concerned, I just keep the place free from alcohol and, as long as I don't make a stop to a liquor or grocery store to buy anything alcoholic, I am safe once I get home. A key is to keep my mind occupied... get up and take a walk, do breathing exercises, etc. if I start feeling anxious. (Anxiety has always seem to be a predecessor to AV or me.)

Day 19. Time for me to jump on the Weekender Thread since I have no plans yet this weekend and won't see the family. Still racking my brain.
Old 08-02-2018, 07:25 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

ForMe247, I thought a lot about how to socialize and not drink.

Primarily, I have been avoiding the "Happy Hour/Night Out" type events (which centers around drinking) but still can manage through things like sporting events, concerts, and meals where drinking is an ancillary activity. That seems to be working well so far... people usually don't ask or even notice that I am not drinking.

As far as being at home is concerned, I just keep the place free from alcohol and, as long as I don't make a stop to a liquor or grocery store to buy anything alcoholic, I am safe once I get home. A key is to keep my mind occupied... get up and take a walk, do breathing exercises, etc. if I start feeling anxious. (Anxiety has always seem to be a predecessor to AV or me.)

Day 19. Time for me to jump on the Weekender Thread since I have no plans yet this weekend and won't see the family. Still racking my brain.
Thanks TeeJay! I too need to plan my weekend with activities to keep me busy! I need to find a new hobby to occupy my time... Great job on day 19 and all the best this weekend. I mostly will be checking in and posting on these forums.