Notices

24 Hour Recovery Connections Part 400

Old 07-27-2018, 05:09 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Willow68 View Post
Kevlar I wonder if your Mum is subconsciously trying to make up for neglecting you when you were younger... It sounds like she’s probably rewritten history in her mind to protect herself (my Dad did this) but I think she really cares about you even though she seems bossy now. I think that’s maybe just her way of showing her love for you. It’s really hard but so good (and I think necessary) for our soul to try to forgive past hurts, although I know it can be so very difficult. My Dad abandoned me when I was a little girl and it has messed me up sooo much for so many years, and really really messed with my relationships... I’m still dealing with forgiveness, although now Dad is dying and I’ve realised that not just for him, but for my OWN recovery and mental health I needed to forgive him. And I think I finally have realised that he only did what he had to do in order to survive. I’m sure in hindsight he had depression too. Very sadly he now has terminal cancer and he is finally on antidepressants himself ❤️ and I love him and I forgive him for everything. And I tell him this all the time now, and mean it. It took me a long, long time to deal with my issues and really know this in my heart ❤️ I’m glad your Mum came over and you talked, I think openness about what annoys us is important, along with compassion on how we deliver our criticism ❤️ My Mum drives me nuts sometimes too but she’s getting old and frail and is as tiny as a bird and I love her to pieces and try to be as compassionate, caring and loving as I can ❤️ Sorry, that turned into a big spied all about me! You will enjoy your me-time weekend Kev! ❤️

It’s 7.20am Sat morning in Australia. Just saying again that these sober Saturday mornings totally rock!!!!!

I just love ❤️❤️❤️ all you guys for helping me get here! Day 76 today Another 24 for me please, love and support to everyone ❤️ xxx
Willow, I'm so so sorry to hear about your dad, that's so sad It's great that your relationship doesn't have to end in a bad way, you have such a good heart! My (half-) brother never met his dad. His dad first tried to get in contact when he was diagnosed with cancer too and only had a few weeks left. My brother was almost 40 by then and decided to not talk to him. I can see his point but it seemed very cold

I think, generally I forgive my mum for the past. But I have difficulties forgiving her made up BS about how she was super mum. It's like she's discrediting all my struggles as a child and teen. And I felt horrible then. It was the time when I started drinking cause I felt so detached and alone and not cared about. Most days she treated me like air or just gave me some money to buy her ciggs and some food for myself. I started buying vodka bottles instead to escape. I was so unhappy and I couldn't stand living with her. Sometimes, when she was especially frustrated she took it out on me and shouted at me all day, taking my phone, TV or computer away for no reason. I remember standing so often in front of the open window, thinking about jumping. It was a really horrible and dark time and I was still a child. It just hurts so much that she now pretends that she was someone she simply was not. It's not her not being there for me in the past that angers me but how she speaks about that time.
And for being so codependent now. She's not bossy at all, she's very immature herself and probably just not made for the mother's role. She just worries so much about every tiny thing and constantly seeks reassurance about everything. That I really have enough food, that I am really not lying about having enough food, that I am feeling okay, that my leg really is okay, .... And she constantly expects me to motivate and praise her and to be understanding. Like she wants me to be her mum in a way. It just feels all so odd and wrong and it tires me out. She's a lovely lady but being her daughter isn't easy.

When I hear others having that mum who makes them feel safe or is comforting them, having lovely memories of home cooked food or anything "home" related really, I feel so sad because I have nothing like that. When I think of home it's about my mum, dad and brother being stuck in their own heads or engaging in arguments. Our cats were the only reliable source of comfort and I loved them to pieces. My dad was wonderful and came up with such creative plays like building small houses for dwarfs in the forest. But most of the time he was too busy with his company or too drunk.

Ugh, this is turning into me just feeling sorry for myself. It's late and I tend to feel depressed around bed time.

Oh and congrats on 76 days!!
Old 07-27-2018, 05:33 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  
2Cor5:17

Old 07-27-2018, 05:47 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Oh Kevlar I’m so sorry to hear you had such a rough upbringing
As Venuscat said, it’s so awesome that you turned out to be so amazing and caring! You rock! Sending big hugs to you xxx
Old 07-27-2018, 05:49 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Signing in for another 24. Worried about tomorrow - I've got a long day out and about so I can't just hide from the liquor store. I'm going to think about you guys and check in when I get home safe.
Old 07-27-2018, 08:03 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  
Reality...what a concept!

23:04 EDT and another 24 for me!
Happy Friday!
Old 07-27-2018, 08:15 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Magsie

24 more please
Old 07-27-2018, 08:29 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

May I please have another 24 hours with a side of gut instinct? Thank you.
Old 07-27-2018, 08:32 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Why certainly! I'll commit to stay sober the next 24 hours.

8:32 PM in the San Juan Islands.
Old 07-27-2018, 09:37 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

24 more please.

These panicky feelings at work the past 2 days have me feeling insane. The unreality, disassociation and fainting feeling kept trying to rise above the surface anxiety. I was feeling so low today after work. But after a meeting, phone conversations with my mom and gram (who are visiting soon!!!) and a sunset hike, I am feeling so much better. I was feeling dreadful earlier not like I wanted to drink but like I wanted oblivion. I am grateful i am finding ways to cope that are not self destructive. I felt so positive a week ago, so I know it will get better. Tomorrow begins my own mediation bootcamp.

Today at the meeting a guy suggested the topic of pink clouds and when they burst. He said he picked up his 90 day chip and then felt like his pink cloud burst and is left feeling depressed. My favorite old timer said, "well young man, just find youself another pink cloud!". I'm going to do that.
Old 07-27-2018, 09:51 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by yukonm View Post
Signing up for 24 hours drink and drug free. 7:21am in Jacksonville, Florida!!

Congratulations to all those celebrating milestones today!!

400!! I remember the original thread(s). Wishing Deeker love and light, wherever she is !!
Yes, I miss Deek not being here for this Big 400. This was her baby, so a BIG thank you Deek wherever you may be!! Maybe she'll come visit again, we're still here, right?!

Bobbi
Old 07-27-2018, 09:52 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

5.50 a.m in North West U.K

An early good morning to you all.

Happy to sign up for another 24 and I just have to share that I got myself a new little kitten yesterday, a tiny grey one with 4 white paws. Her name is Lulu.

Much love to all of you.
Old 07-27-2018, 09:55 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Keep checking in Lascaux, it really helps me when the sneaky AV is whispering at me, or sometimes yelling at me.. together we’re stronger

I like that Goodbyeevan, I’m going to remember it, just find yourself another pink cloud ❤️
Old 07-27-2018, 09:55 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Daisybelle View Post
5.50 a.m in North West U.K

An early good morning to you all.

Happy to sign up for another 24 and I just have to share that I got myself a new little kitten yesterday, a tiny grey one with 4 white paws. Her name is Lulu.

Much love to all of you.
Awwww Lulu sounds adorable Daisy ❤️
Old 07-27-2018, 10:01 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Yes, I too will sign in for my next 24 .....
Bobbi

My group suggests:

Stay in the middle of the heard.

Stick with the "winners" (those folks who you admire, they have-in sobriety- what you want).

Share that which was so freely given to me.
Old 07-27-2018, 10:53 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

I'll do another 24 hours. Seems to be working pretty well.
Old 07-27-2018, 11:15 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

24 more, thanks
Old 07-27-2018, 11:57 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

24 more for me please at 2:56 am.

Have a good day all!
Old 07-28-2018, 01:22 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

I have so much gratitude every day since I am sober,
It's more than I've ever asked!
24 more please

Thanks
Old 07-28-2018, 02:13 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Another 24 please
Marmite lover
Old 07-28-2018, 02:21 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

I'll take another 24 please & thanks.

Congrats to all our milestoners & wishing everyone a good day.
I am heading for my Saturday meeting today, exactly where I need to be.

Thank you everyone for your support, means the world.

Much Love to all, SP