Notices

Class of May 2018 Part 2

Old 05-22-2018, 02:37 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Forwards View Post
Well I got through Day 1 and I'm now 34 hours sober... Went swimming yesterday to pass the time and swam for a mile (64 lengths). Very high anxiety in the evening but no major withdrawals so far.

On with Day 2... Best wishes to all.

Forwards.
Well done Forwards! Exercise really helps 😊 I had a lot of anxiety in the first few days, and I’m finding exercise really helps keep me on track, I’ve been doing some yoga which helps.
Old 05-22-2018, 04:02 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Good morning. Slept good, it is nice to have consistent dreams again.

Day 10 here- going to excercise this morning. It is hard to get motivated, but it does really help.

Does anyone do personal rewards? I was planning on getting myself something small on day 10, 20, 30, 40, 50... I mean really small 5-10 bucks. I don’t buy myself much- so it would be something to look forward to. Thinking about a nice hair care product for day 10.

I mean we are saving a lot of money by not drinking

Have a good day everyone!
Old 05-22-2018, 04:10 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Willow68 View Post
I’m terrified about turning 50. I know it’s just another day but it’s a realisation that I really am way past halfway. Where did the time go? A very large part was in a drunken haze. I really didn’t want a birthday party this year and have been feeling really depressed about it all, but now I’m going to use it to celebrate making the most of the rest of my life (whatever is left) by being sober and fully present. I’m going to plan a bunch of adventures and travel (alcohol free) to really enjoy my life rather than continue to wallow in the wine fumes.

With support we can do it 😊

If it helps, my 50th year has been pretty good, Willow

For me, I have to move on from thinking about wasted years. I can't time travel.

what I can do is make the most of each and every day I have left to me.

I've done more in the last ten years than I did in the previous 20.

I'll never forget where I've come from but I'm no longer obsessed with it either.

D
Old 05-22-2018, 05:14 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  
OX

Sober Tuesday start to finish. Let’s not wrestle with the AV today. Say nope and move on to thinking about the beauty of life
Old 05-22-2018, 07:11 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  
formerly luvSOBERlife

Great morning friends! Start of Day 5 for me today and it's a small miracle to say that.

Yesterday was touch-and-go most of the afternoon. I ended up in the ER as a last resort to get withdrawal help from professionals. I tried the clinic first but it was too late in the day for them to do blood work and all so they couldn't help me. I was severely bummed. AV slowly creeping into the back of my head louder as the day wore on. I spend 2 hours there and walk out with nothing. No help whatsoever. They said if I really needed help today to go to the ER. 5 p.m. and I had to make a call - go to the ER (seriously the ER on day 4?) or go home and battle my AV in a very weakened state. I drove to the hospital.

The ER was CRAZY BUSY! I nearly turned around and left as soon as I saw the madness but again, didn't want to drive straight to the liquor store. The nurses said Mondays are the busiest anyway but they had no idea why it was so crazy yesterday. When they were taking my blood, a woman came in all panicked and breathing very heavy, possible blood clot in her lungs or something. She was 3 feet away from me getting an EKG when the EMT said something I guess she didn't like and she blew up big time - shot up, took a swing at the EMT and stormed out screaming "They won't treat me like this again!" WTF??????? She thought she was dying but then storms out of the ER? That's how crazy it was and this is kind of a small town.

Anyway I finally got to see the doctor who gave me a few days supply of Oxazepam. Not a few weeks worth but definitely better than nothing. I told them my deal and that I was so anxious, desperate and out of other options I was either going to the ER or to the liquor store. I'm bipolar too and still titrating up my newest med for that was adding to my misery. Ended up leaving the ER after 4 1/2 hours! I didn't get as much help as I hoped for, but it was still a massive victory. They did do a full evaluation of me too so that's a plus. Moral of that story - don't detox on your own. Go to your doctor or to the ER if you have to the first day, not the 4th like I did. The nurses said most of their alcohol detox patients end up in the ICU. Scary stuff.

I apologize sincerely for the novel but I hope it might help someone else know that they can stick it out to get medical help too. I nearly gave up a dozen times yesterday. I broke down and cried on my way to the clinic I was that emotional from what my body and mind are going through right now. I'm 6 ft, 240, lifted weights most of my life, and I was crying like a baby driving myself to the clinic because I knew I needed help but the decision was that difficult. I can't tell you how mad at myself I would have been if I had given in to my AV who can be a tricky bastard.

DO WHATEVER YOU HAVE TO DO BUT DON'T PICK UP THE BOTTLE! DON'T LET YOUR AV WIN!

And I refuse to ever go through this withdrawal crap again = surely never drinking again!
Old 05-22-2018, 07:18 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Originally Posted by Bumblebee2 View Post
Does anyone do personal rewards? I was planning on getting myself something small on day 10, 20, 30, 40, 50... I mean really small 5-10 bucks. I don’t buy myself much- so it would be something to look forward to. Thinking about a nice hair care product for day 10.
I have a mason jar on the mantle piece and so far I have put in every single day the price of a bottle of wine, on a thursday, friday and saturday night I put in the price for two bottles of wine. So far in 23 days I have £213 (about $286) which is a pretty hefty sum of cash. I plan on using it when I hit my 30 day goal to treat myself. It's also a pretty good visual reminder every day on the money I had been spending on booze. x
Old 05-22-2018, 07:30 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  
formerly luvSOBERlife

Originally Posted by MantaLady View Post
I have a mason jar on the mantle piece and so far I have put in every single day the price of a bottle of wine, on a thursday, friday and saturday night I put in the price for two bottles of wine. So far in 23 days I have £213 (about $286) which is a pretty hefty sum of cash. I plan on using it when I hit my 30 day goal to treat myself. It's also a pretty good visual reminder every day on the money I had been spending on booze. x
That's a fantastic way to remind yourself and reward yourself. You definitely deserve to be rewarded after all.
I'll have to find some way to reward myself - some small way. I'm saving my family about $260 per month minimum. Why did I spend so much on booze in my lifetime????? Agh!!!!!!!
Old 05-22-2018, 07:36 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  
formerly luvSOBERlife

Originally Posted by Kit2017 View Post
7am here...

Day 14 yayyyy, made it to 2 weeks, I know early days but I'd lost all hope / faith in myself so I'm happy and proud that I've made it this far and still feel so determined to keep on going

I've been busy catching up with work after being off for a couple of months so it's all go but I'm enjoying keeping busy and have even managed to arrange a coffee date with a guy I got talking to tomorrow, not sure if it's too soon in my recovery but I mentioned I don't drink which he wasn't phased by at all...

Also something that I found helpful this week so I'll share with you... My close friend who is in recovery gave me a good analogy...
"Imagine people who are allergic to things such as nuts, a person with a nut allergy will not eat nuts because of what will happen, and the same with other allergies, WE ARE ALL ALLERGIC TO ALCOHOL!!! We would be FOOLS to pick up a drink of alcohol when we are allergic to it, We are mentally allergic to alcohol so must not drink it"
It's that simple! This really helped me.

Another way to look at it, again the words from my friend...
Imagine a person with another disease such as Cancer, if that person was given the option to be able to remove that cancer and have rid of it they would grab that chance with both hands, our disease is alcoholism, we have the chance to not have that poisonous disease in our body! We have that chance! again we're fools if we don't take that chance...

Hope these help even just one of you, I find them very helpful. To see it in this way makes me feel stupid for ever touching the stuff!

Anyway all good this end! Feeling stronger and happier each day.

Much love and strength to each of you.

Have a lovely Day / Evening

K x
Wow thinking like this can be great tools to use when we're tempted. Thanks so much!
In that same light, I am trying to retrain my brain to be disgusted at the thought of any alcohol. I try to visualize a beer, glass of wine, cocktail or bottle of booze and think of getting sick and tossing my cookies from overdoing it again. I want to not desire alcohol from now on. I want to not miss it. If that makes sense. I don't want to crave it ever again. If I crave it or I think I'm missing it, I'm doomed, I've lost already.

I hope that helps someone as well.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:25 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Day 26 here and it's going well. Finally the ball has started rolling with my local alcohol recovery services.

They enrolled me in a group therapy session designed for people in abstinence. It's 8 week course once a week. Only people in abstinence can attend. It teaches you how to deal with triggers and sobriety etc. Then once that is done I will get a one to one therapy course which is similar to CBT. She said because I told her I wasn't getting bad cravings I wouldn't need any drugs to subdue those cravings but they do offer medical therapy if required.

Although I'm doing fine at the moment I don't want to get complacent. So will be attending all the courses. I haven't been to an AA meeting for a few weeks but will attend one this Sunday to pick up my 1 month chip
Old 05-22-2018, 09:59 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

LuvSOBER— congrats!!!

MantaLady—GREAT idea. Day 2 Doing well. Slept well. Doing errands today on day off.

Hope all May 18 bodies are doing well and ignoring AV!!

Free
Old 05-22-2018, 10:10 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Primativo View Post
Day 26 here and it's going well.
Primativo—wow!!! So great and wonderful—treat your body to something great for a prize.....tea, long bath, walk in woods....
Old 05-22-2018, 10:11 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by luvSOBERlife View Post
That's a fantastic way to remind yourself and reward yourself. You definitely deserve to be rewarded after all.
I'll have to find some way to reward myself - some small way. I'm saving my family about $260 per month minimum. Why did I spend so much on booze in my lifetime????? Agh!!!!!!!
23 days- way to go! I love the visual idea.

I would be scared to sit down and see what I actually spent on wine. If I had to guess probably 60/week. It is crazy to think about. Makes me feel even better about treating myself.
Thanks for sharing and keep up the good work!
Old 05-22-2018, 11:46 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

I worked out that by day 30 I will have £278 ($373). That amount covers for my mortgage on my house, gas and electric, netflix and apple music for a month! That amount would also get me a weeks holiday in spain....I mean...come on...what the heck lol!?!?!

I need something visual and tangible when I have a goal to reach and find it helps so much. On top of my jar with money in it I have two other jars on the other side of the mantle piece for the weightloss goal I have. One says "To Lose" and the other says "Lost". The "To Lose" one has 50 saphire colored large glass beads in it, every time I lose a pound in weight I move a glass bead across to the lost jar. Slowly I am seeing the to lose jar get smaller and the lost jar getting fuller. Some of you might think I am a mad crazy cat lady who needs to get out more haha, and you wouldn't be wrong but it's working for me

Primativo - Great news about your treatment moving along and getting started and awesome work on 26 days too!

xx
Old 05-22-2018, 12:18 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

May 22 2018

Day 1 for me, no drinks for 1 year..
Old 05-22-2018, 12:24 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by luvSOBERlife View Post
Great morning friends! Start of Day 5 for me today and it's a small miracle to say that.

Yesterday was touch-and-go most of the afternoon. I ended up in the ER as a last resort to get withdrawal help from professionals. I tried the clinic first but it was too late in the day for them to do blood work and all so they couldn't help me. I was severely bummed. AV slowly creeping into the back of my head louder as the day wore on. I spend 2 hours there and walk out with nothing. No help whatsoever. They said if I really needed help today to go to the ER. 5 p.m. and I had to make a call - go to the ER (seriously the ER on day 4?) or go home and battle my AV in a very weakened state. I drove to the hospital.

The ER was CRAZY BUSY! I nearly turned around and left as soon as I saw the madness but again, didn't want to drive straight to the liquor store. The nurses said Mondays are the busiest anyway but they had no idea why it was so crazy yesterday. When they were taking my blood, a woman came in all panicked and breathing very heavy, possible blood clot in her lungs or something. She was 3 feet away from me getting an EKG when the EMT said something I guess she didn't like and she blew up big time - shot up, took a swing at the EMT and stormed out screaming "They won't treat me like this again!" WTF??????? She thought she was dying but then storms out of the ER? That's how crazy it was and this is kind of a small town.

Anyway I finally got to see the doctor who gave me a few days supply of Oxazepam. Not a few weeks worth but definitely better than nothing. I told them my deal and that I was so anxious, desperate and out of other options I was either going to the ER or to the liquor store. I'm bipolar too and still titrating up my newest med for that was adding to my misery. Ended up leaving the ER after 4 1/2 hours! I didn't get as much help as I hoped for, but it was still a massive victory. They did do a full evaluation of me too so that's a plus. Moral of that story - don't detox on your own. Go to your doctor or to the ER if you have to the first day, not the 4th like I did. The nurses said most of their alcohol detox patients end up in the ICU. Scary stuff.

I apologize sincerely for the novel but I hope it might help someone else know that they can stick it out to get medical help too. I nearly gave up a dozen times yesterday. I broke down and cried on my way to the clinic I was that emotional from what my body and mind are going through right now. I'm 6 ft, 240, lifted weights most of my life, and I was crying like a baby driving myself to the clinic because I knew I needed help but the decision was that difficult. I can't tell you how mad at myself I would have been if I had given in to my AV who can be a tricky bastard.

DO WHATEVER YOU HAVE TO DO BUT DON'T PICK UP THE BOTTLE! DON'T LET YOUR AV WIN!

And I refuse to ever go through this withdrawal crap again = surely never drinking again!
Nice work, that's really taking responsibility for yourself. Well done.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:32 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  
formerly luvSOBERlife

Originally Posted by Weak1 View Post
Day 1 for me, no drinks for 1 year..
Congratulations on your Day 1, Weak1. Hopefully your screen name is a reminder to be the opposite. You are here and you posted to tell everyone where you are. You are not weak, I can tell you right now.

Day 2 is next. One at a time.
Old 05-22-2018, 01:17 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Congrats luvsoberlife, that was so brave to go to the doctor and then the ER and wait and wait... and not to choose to give up, kudos! Hope your day is better today.

I'm on day 4, feeling determined, going to all womens AA group tonight. It is Memorial Day weekend this weekend, big deal in Wisconsin, Minnesota area, we celebrate every summer holiday we can. And it is a big drinking holiday... I'm just going to enjoy being in the garden, the sun, and try to relax and not be around drinking that much. It will be there but I need to be strong - I want to be strong.
Old 05-22-2018, 02:29 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

You ARE strong SurvivorK and you just need to keep chanting that mantra to yourself. x
Old 05-22-2018, 03:07 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Another quick check in.. Finally in double digits! Day 10 and feeling very happy about it. Thanks for all the support and I hope everyone is doing well.
Old 05-22-2018, 03:07 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SurvivorK View Post
Congrats luvsoberlife, that was so brave to go to the doctor and then the ER and wait and wait... and not to choose to give up, kudos! Hope your day is better today.

I'm on day 4, feeling determined, going to all womens AA group tonight. It is Memorial Day weekend this weekend, big deal in Wisconsin, Minnesota area, we celebrate every summer holiday we can. And it is a big drinking holiday... I'm just going to enjoy being in the garden, the sun, and try to relax and not be around drinking that much. It will be there but I need to be strong - I want to be strong.
SurvivorK, you are strong, you can do this, it was your words along with Kit and Mantalady and several others, who gave me the strength to do this myself, I’ve been reading everyone’s stories in this class all month through several of my own day 1s.... I’m now on day 10 and I have joined you here and I have all of you on this forum to thank for making it this far, so thankyou everyone! 😊