Notices

Class Of March 2018 Support Thread - Part Two

Old 03-28-2018, 01:52 PM
  # 301 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ilovedogs3801 View Post

Looking forward to coming here for stories and support when that urge hits!
Welcome! I tried many times over the years too. This place is important and full of brave people. Stay close. Find the ‘My Story’ forum and read other people’s experiences. Like me, I bet you read many stories just like yours.
Old 03-28-2018, 01:54 PM
  # 302 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lyddie View Post
May I join this March group? I am on Day One again but did have over 5 years of sobriety until about 2 and a half years ago. Since then I did get to almost three months once but now can’t seem to get past 3 or 4 days. I prefer being sober, really but am having trouble finding the inner strength to get past the urges and cravings
Welcome Lyddie. You know you can do this, just have to get past those first few days. Stay here with us
Old 03-28-2018, 01:55 PM
  # 303 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zombie79 View Post
Had bad urges today. Was nearly coming to the end of my shift and as I was leaving I just kept thinking of how nice a drink would be.
Then I thought about how bad I'd feel getting to day 16 and relapsing not to mention the hangover would no doubt cripple me.
I got home, had a quick snack, took the dog out and when I got home, the urge had gone.
For me, the urges were always after work and I've just been paid so that's normally when I'd spend the most and get the most drunk in a month.
However, this month I've had some unexpected bills to pay. In the previous month's, I'd stick my head in the sand and just not care...as long as I could numb myself with booze, I was happy.
Today though I played the tape forward and realised- I don't want that. I want to improve financially and drinking isn't going to help one bit.
Good on you Zombie. Breaking those habits and programmed routines is incredibly tough, I know. Stay strong
Old 03-28-2018, 02:32 PM
  # 304 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lastchance77 View Post
Welcome Lyddie. You know you can do this, just have to get past those first few days. Stay here with us
Thank you. This feels like a really nice group of people to hang out with.
Old 03-28-2018, 03:58 PM
  # 305 (permalink)  

I think this is an amazing group of people.
Popping back in to say hi and see how you are all doing.....off to read. ♥♥
Old 03-28-2018, 04:03 PM
  # 306 (permalink)  

Lots of wonderful stuff going on with this group....welcome to all of the new people, new friends.....you will find that everyone here is on your side.

Love you lyddie. ♥♥
Old 03-28-2018, 06:15 PM
  # 307 (permalink)  

Welcome new folks! Lets finish march strong!

Woohoo zombie for the win!!! Way to fight and overcome that urge! You made all the right choices and avoided the bad one. That is awesome.

I went to a meeting last night, and another today. Both were helpful and mostly enjoyable although my anxiety refuses to go away for them. Went hiking with a fellow sponsee (we have the same sponsor) and was invited to dinner at the women's sober living house, where she stays. I felt privileged to be there. I am slightly jealous of their built in sober community but I realize I have much more freedom than them and am grateful for that.
Old 03-28-2018, 07:36 PM
  # 308 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone! Wow has this group grown! Welcome to the newcomers! (I am a newbie too) I have been in a few groups here and this one is by far the most active and nicely supportive I’ve seen. I really appreciate reading how you work though your cravings and I am soaking in your methods. I learn from what is not working as well. It takes great courage to come back to say you are on day one again and it helps us all.

I’m having a bit of a tiresome evening. Yesterday was amazing for energy and clarity but no so much today. I think I will just take it easy and watch a movie tonight. I expect there will be days like this from time to time but it sure isn’t that bad compared to that last hangover (ever) on March 7th.

LHW, I can’t wait to hear how your tea maker works. I might order one. I go between hot tea and fizzy water for beverages now.

Zombie - my urges are right after work too. I’m starting to think I should change jobs!

Keep with the journey everyone! It’s a good one.
Old 03-28-2018, 09:04 PM
  # 309 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wishes View Post
Hi Everyone! Wow has this group grown! Welcome to the newcomers! (I am a newbie too) I have been in a few groups here and this one is by far the most active and nicely supportive I’ve seen. I really appreciate reading how you work though your cravings and I am soaking in your methods. I learn from what is not working as well. It takes great courage to come back to say you are on day one again and it helps us all.

I’m having a bit of a tiresome evening. Yesterday was amazing for energy and clarity but no so much today. I think I will just take it easy and watch a movie tonight. I expect there will be days like this from time to time but it sure isn’t that bad compared to that last hangover (ever) on March 7th.

LHW, I can’t wait to hear how your tea maker works. I might order one. I go between hot tea and fizzy water for beverages now.

Zombie - my urges are right after work too. I’m starting to think I should change jobs!

Keep with the journey everyone! It’s a good one.
Re. cravings (especially after work), for me it was that I make associations with drinking really easily, the AV convinces me it’s the activity and drinking that’s enjoyable, whereas in reality it’s neither. If I drank while poking nails in my eyeballs, I would start to really want to poke nails in my eyeballs. Does that make sense?
Old 03-28-2018, 09:24 PM
  # 310 (permalink)  

Day 17...this health anexity won't go... Convinesed my soles of feet look yellow and I'm checking them every minute... De Google tells me it's my liver.
Old 03-28-2018, 09:40 PM
  # 311 (permalink)  
Administrator

Try and not Dr google Strawberry - I'm not a doctor but I;d imagine if you were ill with a liver problem other bits of you would be yellow too

D
Old 03-28-2018, 10:24 PM
  # 312 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the support.

I think what got to me yesterday was that I hadn't really had a strong urge since day 3 and maybe being naïve, but I thought the craving would diminish over time. I know now that I'm really still in early days - even when this is the longest I've been sober in years.

Posting here and being honest helped a lot so thank you

Starting day 17! :-)
Old 03-28-2018, 10:27 PM
  # 313 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lastchance77 View Post
Re. cravings (especially after work), for me it was that I make associations with drinking really easily, the AV convinces me it’s the activity and drinking that’s enjoyable, whereas in reality it’s neither. If I drank while poking nails in my eyeballs, I would start to really want to poke nails in my eyeballs. Does that make sense?
It makes sense, LastChance. The activity is an excuse to drink. We grow to have many excuses to drink. It is making me think.. I haven’t been happy with the job for a long time and when off work, I’m often alone. I used wine to numb the stress as well as the lonesomeness. Wine became my friend. A friend you can’t trust I might add. Being alone became enjoyable so I could keep drinking. Keeping the crappy job was also an enabler. Ohhhh interesting stuff!

I have a question on the AV. To me, the AV is me. It is my own head and my own self. I haven’t wanted to talk to it like it is some alien that took over my mind. Therefore I never picked up on using the term. Do I have it all wrong? Are my thoughts from the stigma that alcoholism is the fault of the drinker? Maybe I need to treat it like the disease it is instead of something I’ve done to myself? Or is it both? I also know that different methods work for different folks. Most curious how it helps others I guess. I’ve failed at quitting several times and want to win this time. I want to consider new ways to help.
Old 03-28-2018, 11:51 PM
  # 314 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wishes View Post
It makes sense, LastChance. The activity is an excuse to drink. We grow to have many excuses to drink. It is making me think.. I haven’t been happy with the job for a long time and when off work, I’m often alone. I used wine to numb the stress as well as the lonesomeness. Wine became my friend. A friend you can’t trust I might add. Being alone became enjoyable so I could keep drinking. Keeping the crappy job was also an enabler. Ohhhh interesting stuff!

I have a question on the AV. To me, the AV is me. It is my own head and my own self. I haven’t wanted to talk to it like it is some alien that took over my mind. Therefore I never picked up on using the term. Do I have it all wrong? Are my thoughts from the stigma that alcoholism is the fault of the drinker? Maybe I need to treat it like the disease it is instead of something I’ve done to myself? Or is it both? I also know that different methods work for different folks. Most curious how it helps others I guess. I’ve failed at quitting several times and want to win this time. I want to consider new ways to help.
There are many schools of thought, but AVRT seems to be the most dominant. It’s very complex and I don’t begin to understand it fully. I’m like you, the AV is me, but a small (but sometimes LOUD) part of me. What I have finally realised about myself after three previous attempts (and relatively reasonable levels of sobriety in between) is that my reason to drink was to feel happier. If I was down, I’d drink to feel happy. If I was happy, I’d drink to feel happier. Before booze it was drugs, but the same patterns and reasons. Luckily (and I know it’s cetainly not the case for everybody) is that I’m now ultimately happier sober. The negatives of drinking now outway the benefits. It wasn’t always this way, but it certainly is at this point in my life. So I have to keep remembering that. Again, this is my reasons and I’m aware that a lot of people won’t relate to this. I would say this: this site has SO many resources apart from the forums. Information about how to formulate a plan that might work for you. I think I’ve only read about 10% of what this incredible place can offer in terms of practical advise. So many people here have beaten it, and they’re here to help. I truly wish you luck on your journey, you can win. stay close!
Old 03-29-2018, 02:38 AM
  # 315 (permalink)  

Morning everyone, it's early on day 35 for me. 5 weeks today! Overall I'm feeling good. Not every day is great, but if I look back at where I was 5 weeks ago, I'm in such a better place. I'm so grateful for the support I've gotten here so far. Thanks to you all!

GBE sounds like you've got a great community building up with your AA group. Great to hear!

Zombie glad to hear that you powered through your cravings. Well done!

Strawberry I agree with Dee, you'll tie yourself in knots with worry if you keep googling and self-diagnosing - why don't you make a doctor's appointment? I think I mentioned earlier but I went through something similar and it took me ages to go to the doctor because I was so anxious about it but I felt SO much better after seeing the doctor and finding out what was going on with me physically. If it is something liver-related, best to know asap..and remember, a lot of the time liver damage can be reversed, especially by refraining from drinking.

Wishes I go through the same thing - some days I feel like I have tons of energy and some days I feel zombie-like. It's frustrating sometimes when recovery isn't always an upwards journey. I'm learning to live with the ups and downs, and like you try to be gentle with myself and just take a day to relax with tea and pjs if needed.

Re. your question on the AV - good question! I don't really have the answer. I think for some people it works to visualize their cravings as a separate "enemy" that you actively oppose. I can definitely see how that would could be helpful. That said I'm with you and lastchance, I see my struggles with alcohol as a part of me.

You definitely don't have it all wrong. Frankly I've read so many different ways of conceptualizing alcoholism over the last few weeks that the only real conclusion I've come to is "whatever works best" for each individual!

Hope everyone has a good day. Heading into the long Easter weekend - any big plans?
Old 03-29-2018, 03:30 AM
  # 316 (permalink)  

Good evening (Adelaide- 2051, Easter Thursday) March '18 class. I have a vested interest in COMarch threads....as I joined SR with COM '16. I thought I would share the enormous (ly obvious) wisdom I have gathered. SR is a safe, welcoming and supportive community. A more damaged, broken human being you would be hard to find.... The best time to post- is when you do not want to. Then keep posting....as often as possible...every minute if you have to. Early recovery sees many people's emotions waking up- and guilt/shame can follow. Professional support as well as meetings help me greatly. With guilt, etc- isolation can happen, as well as forgetting simple stuff- like rest, food and water.
My old sponsor once told me a sotry- that one night, after doing wonderful works for AA members..he called HIS sponsor and said that he had worked hard all day, it was very cold- so not going to a meeting that night as he was too tired.
His sponsor replied 'you would have crawled over broken glass in this sort of weather to get another drink'. He went to the meeting...
The point being- if we commit to sobriety with the same drive that we had drinking, if we invest the same amount of time on our recovery as we did to pretending to be normal, secretive, hiding booze..etc, then we are doing okay. Keep at it fellow March flyers...
Support to all.
Old 03-29-2018, 04:37 AM
  # 317 (permalink)  

Good Morning Everyone! I've made it to Day 28! Woohoo! Doing okay, sleep disturbances and headaches have settled down for the most part. Working hard at keeping any mood swings on an even keel, which isn't always easy.

A couple weeks ago, told my "drinking friends" that my husband and I have quit drinking. Haven't heard from them since, which is okay. All our activities with these "friends" always were centered around drinking.

Husband and I have an online business and since we quit drinking we have kicked it into high gear and have been very busy building our inventory and getting organized.

Keeping away from "drinking friends" and keeping busy has helped immensely with keeping triggers and cravings at bay.

Have a good day everyone!
Old 03-29-2018, 04:51 AM
  # 318 (permalink)  

Hey guys. I actually joined this group on 3/14.

I don’t post much but read a lot... I actually feel like I know you guys well.

Well, in March I was sober for 11 days. Longest I’ve gone without alcohol since 2014. I also started seeing a therapist. A lot of big changes.

I recently drank the last 4 days. So I am starting over again.... and going to also post more.
Day 1, lets go.
Old 03-29-2018, 05:38 AM
  # 319 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back bumblebee
congrats to everyone hitting a milestone today

from what I know of AVRT you guys are right - the AV is seen as a part of us...a kind of visceral primitive lizard brain gone awry.

There are several threads on the topic in the secular forum

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...r-connections/

D
Old 03-29-2018, 06:09 AM
  # 320 (permalink)  

Checking in on day four. Lots of bad things and busy things, but it's all normal life stuff. No drinking for me.