Notices

Class of March 2016 part 67

Old 03-17-2018, 04:29 PM
  # 121 (permalink)  

B- please be careful going to that Musical. There have been cases of people being caught in tornado's and ending up IN a musical. How is your singing voice?

I am going to start attending meeting - for adult children of alcoholics. Oh - I could not see this as being useful..until now. Perhaps a sign my fried brain a slowly healing.
Old 03-17-2018, 04:59 PM
  # 122 (permalink)  

My sister just sent me this video

Old 03-17-2018, 05:34 PM
  # 123 (permalink)  

Purps that totally made me LOL 😂
Old 03-17-2018, 05:49 PM
  # 124 (permalink)  
Sober date: 20th May 2023

Originally Posted by immri View Post
Hi guys, checking in. Grateful st Patty’s day isn’t a big thing around here. We got some crazy weather though so that’s excitement enough for me! How is it up there Mish?

Glad you came back and were honest right away MITA that was always the part that messed me up
Thankfully the cyclone missed us. We didn't get much from it...just a bit of wind and rain. I think Darwin bore the brunt of it.
Old 03-17-2018, 06:43 PM
  # 125 (permalink)  

PJ's time friends. Nice St Patties day here. Well... Any day sober is a nice day!!!
Old 03-17-2018, 07:10 PM
  # 126 (permalink)  

Hello beautiful people including daring immri.
And Mish of course...my Aussie beauties. ♥♥

Love to you too PR and all of you....I got hit with a bug that decided it was boss for a day or so....no real complaints to be honest as I am thinner now.

MITA....sending love.

♥♥♥
Old 03-17-2018, 07:33 PM
  # 127 (permalink)  

Hope you’re feeling better Suze!

I made beef stew for dinner and some green cupcakes for dessert. A batch of cupcakes and an ordinary day becomes special for my kiddos. My daughter is currently on a massive sugar high and my little one is running around yelling HAPPY NEW YEAR 😂😂😂
Old 03-17-2018, 07:55 PM
  # 128 (permalink)  

Winding down a relative quiet Day 1 here.

It was kind of a "gut check" day for me - I'm honestly not sure where I'm at and where I want to go, other than it has to be a sober path. I think this is really foundational to my recovery - it's almost mid-life crisis(ish), although I'm 57 and well past mid-life.

My wife is happy to slide into retirement - I'm not keen on going gently into that good night. I struggle with this constantly now. I'm feeling a little age discrimination at work (possibly imagining). At my last review I got the comment "I can't offer you any real growth from here, but I can give you a good work environment" (paraphrasing). I was not sure how to take that.

Hoping for some good sleep tonight and a clearer head tomorrow.
Old 03-17-2018, 09:36 PM
  # 129 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Originally Posted by PeacefulRain View Post
Purps that totally made me LOL 😂
Omg - me too!!!
Old 03-17-2018, 09:41 PM
  # 130 (permalink)  

Thanks for getting me to smile, Purp.
Old 03-17-2018, 09:50 PM
  # 131 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Originally Posted by ManInTheArena View Post

It was kind of a "gut check" day for me - I'm honestly not sure where I'm at and where I want to go, other than it has to be a sober path. I think this is really foundational to my recovery - it's almost mid-life crisis(ish), although I'm 57 and well past mid-life.
I’m 54 and MITA, repeat after me: we are middle age and living to 110!!!

Ok, be my friend and at least let me lie to myself.

On a serious note, it’s ok to have those feelings of wondering about the next decade. It will be a time of change, that is certain. I know those feelings and some days they are stronger than others. And then some days, my ancient wisdom changes someone’s perspective or there’s a win because I have experience. Nothing stays the same and as quiet and dark is today....maybe this particular day 1 feels dark because your mind and body and saying.....I can’t do this drinking thing any more. The paradigm shift can feel dark.

But it’s these painful feelings that push us forward. If it wasn’t painful, most people don’t change. Growth is painful....but then we get pushed forward (even kicking and screaming sometimes), and perhaps suddenly and perhaps quietly.....we notice acceptance and the bright perspective of epiphany.

I hope tomorrow is a better day. Fresh air, exercise, family.....breathe in the shift and keep an open heart for what you learn.

Fist-pump from Lillian. You got this friend.
Old 03-17-2018, 10:01 PM
  # 132 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Originally Posted by KiKi0615 View Post
Hi guys, quick check in before I finally get my butt moving. I went to a really good meeting at a treatment center yesterday. There were only 2 people from the “outside” there and about 10 people who were patients. It was so sad and humbling. Some of the people have lost literally EVERYTHING because of alcohol. One woman even lost her little dog which was the only thing she had left. She had already lost her family, friends, home, job, car etc. She finally just gave up on herself and tried to kill herself. By the grace of God she survived and is in treatment. You could see the pain and dispair in her empty eyes. She was in her 60s and I couldn’t help but think that if I keep drinking that’s where alcohol will take me. To a life of pain and misery. I’ve been praying for her.

Being at that meeting showed me that alcoholics cannot drink...even one drop! The inevitable ending to our incurable disease is pain, misery & death. I think I will stay sober today! Alcohol is evil!

There was another woman there who had burn scars all over her face, arms & hands. I couldn’t see the rest of her body. She just kept crying and asking if there is hope for her. So sad.

I’m going back next week. It was good for me to see all the “yets” for me if I drink again and to also offer my experience, strength and hope. I left that meeting full of gratitude that only am I sober, but that I don’t have to drink again and let it get that bad. Thank you God. I will keep praying for them.

Have a good day everyone. I’m gonna go to the store. My court sentencing is Monday morning. I could use a few prayers. Love you all!
Good luck on Monday Kiki. I will say a prayer for you.

Alcohol really is terrible for so many people.
Old 03-17-2018, 10:11 PM
  # 133 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Feel better soon Venus.

Glad that cyclone missed our classmates.

Day 44...done, had a convo with my sister about why I wasn’t drinking anymore. She said with our family history of alcoholism...it’s no wonder we’ve both had issues. She kicked it awhile ago. She said that it was good I saw the warning signs...most people don’t. But I had to tell the story of my 12 hour binge 44 days ago...but at least they will stop pushing wine on me.

Ok so I just saw Michigan make the game winning three pointer against Houston and woo hoo! My bracket looks happier. I heart March Madness!

I heart our March Class too. Nite all,
Lillian
Old 03-18-2018, 05:27 AM
  # 134 (permalink)  

Good morning Marchers! Or evening as the case may be!

So I wasn't even thinking about St. Patrick's Day yesterday, but then decided to make corned beef and cabbage anyway. We make that about once a year and oh it's good!

There was one winning ticket in the Powerball lottery last night and it was sold here in PA . . . but not to me. It was worth $457 million, and I thought, well that might come in handy. We need a new car and the water bill is due. Honestly I wouldn't know what to do with all that money except give it away to good causes. I like a simple life . . . and maybe buy an island or something.

MITA, I have got to learn to stop after one slip like you and others can do. My AV often tells me, "Well, you blew that! Why stop now?"

I'm embarking on a mindfulness addition to recovery. Suggestions welcome. Meditation, for now, is probably beyond my abilities since my mind works like a squirrel in a cage most of the time.

Glad you missed the cyclone Mish and immri.

Also glad you're feeling better, venuscat. I used to live in Columbus and German Village is pretty cool. My wife was through there last week and stopped in at Schmidt's. She raved about the potato salad and cream puffs and that brought back good memories for me.

Well, make it a good day everyone! We can get this right for keeps.
Old 03-18-2018, 06:02 AM
  # 135 (permalink)  

Good post, Pela.
I have just about finished setting up the spare b/room in new new little unit- as a 'studio'. I have a foldout bench table for doing me art on..under the window for light. A friend gave me most of the furniture I have..as the ex is not responding to my requests for stuff. My friend gave me a large bureau with one of those rolls down tops and little compartments to stuff crap..perfect for doing my John-boy journaling ( for those of us old enough to remember the Waltons). The family home has some lovely furniture in it- but have told the ex she can have most of it...as a lot of it is matching and to break it up is stupid. I am happy with what I have, excepting an old dresser thing that was my great Aunts, and my Gran's old Singer sewing machine...which are mine. I will retrieve them when the time os ok to do so without causing distress. My garden is starting to grow (4 weeks since I planted). I have Aussie native grass, a very hardy evergreen shrub founded from Africa (bought at state botanical gardens), mint, parsley, lots of rosemary, a palm, bulbs...most of this was harvested in off shoot plants I foud in back lanes and isolated parklands around the city, that would have been pulled out.
Old 03-18-2018, 06:08 AM
  # 136 (permalink)  

I actually "slept in" until 7! And I really don't feel bad for not agreeing to work today....for once all the bitchiness over the years has worked in my favor and makes it very easy to say no thanks! Plus I had a feeling they might need a shift covered day after St Paddy's.....I used to be hungover all the time but at least I still showed up....I miss my little friends tho....but I have to put the oxygen mask on me first, right??!?

Pel - I get what U mean about the lottery....and the island! I'm an admitted "Twilight" lover and each time I see the one where they honeymoon at that gorgeous home on Esme's private island I'm like vision board!!!!(Prefereably a location that won't get slammed by a hurricane each year....)
Old 03-18-2018, 07:32 AM
  # 137 (permalink)  

Good morning Marcheros.

PJ, I'm glad you got a studio set up - that sounds perfect.

Purps, it feels good to sleep in a little, right? Sometimes it's the best thing in the world. Hope you have an awesome day.

Pelagic, nice to be reading your posts. My ability to come back quickly after drinking is mostly related to how badly I screw up. Sometimes it takes me a little while to work up to the amount where it hurts to put my underwear on in the morning - sometimes it only takes one day.

Have a great day everyone
Old 03-18-2018, 07:48 AM
  # 138 (permalink)  

Mornin' Marchers. Checkin' in with startin' fluid in hand. Another "feel bad" day. Hate when they come so close together!

Hope everybody has a great day!
Old 03-18-2018, 08:22 AM
  # 139 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by beerbgone View Post
Mornin' Marchers. Checkin' in with startin' fluid in hand. Another "feel bad" day. Hate when they come so close together!

Hope everybody has a great day!
Hey BBG, sorry you are having a "feel bad" day. Are you feeling sick, or is it the brain fog? Maybe something else? Sorry, just being nosey! I hope your "feel bad" gets better fast!!
Old 03-18-2018, 08:36 AM
  # 140 (permalink)  

Ugh, those "feel bad" days suck! Hope it turns around so you can enjoy the rest of your weekend, BBG

Went for a walk around the neighborhood....really pretty scenery by the bay and I think I spotted a dolphin! It was far off but I could tell by the fin surfacing as it swam along