Notices

Class of October 2017 Support Thread pt. 4

Old 11-11-2017, 08:27 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Bden, that signature you having about falling or flying reminds me of a video of Steve Havey, of all people, where he talks about ‘your parachute.’ Basically he says you see all of these people floating or flying in life, living life, and you’re stuck at the edge of the cliff, afraid to jump. He says ‘you’re parachute will open. You’ll bump into rocks and get banged up, get bruised and battered, and be terrified, but at some point that parachute will open. But one thing is for sure, if you don’t jump, your parachute will never open.’

Day 9 begins. I feel ok. It looks like my sister is supplying us with the necessary documentation to go to Cuba. I don’t want to leap, but my paraschute will never open if I don’t. I’ve wanted travel and this is real travel. It would be huge for me. More reason to go to REI ;D. And buy a couple of camera accessories.

My sick friend was messaging me at 2am, probably what woke me up. The vibrating several times. She’s alone, no food, no one will answer. “Please, please come over tomorrow. Please!!’ She was never on drugs, doesn’t deserve this and it’s a travesty. But am I to give up my life for hers. I don’t have my own money, I don’t have my own house. I’m unstable.

And I have an upcoming job opportunity at a new family business that basically does what I would chose to do if I could do anything.

Ok strategy for 3-4 pm not determined, but I’m going to keep busy. My father wants some things done around the house. A couple of hours of cleaning is worth the free rent. We’ll work together so it makes things fast.

Viper
Old 11-11-2017, 08:38 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  
O-n K-a-r A-r-r-e-s-t

ready you sound awesome today i hope your work day throws some good stuff at you!!
viper hang on to being selfish right now.... i know its hard. i am a big people pleaser and more of a giver than a taker. but right now it's all about you. praying that your friend will have some "God moments" and be able to stand up on her own or someone else will come along to help while you can't be there. maybe if you take what you need right now, you will at some point be able to be there again for her. i hope you can forgive yourself and be able to take care of yourself right now instead of feeling bad. sending good vibes to the both of you.
Old 11-11-2017, 09:25 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Soul, thank you. It doesn’t serve me or my friend for me to be a drinker and jobless/not pursuing any passion.

V
Old 11-11-2017, 10:24 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Hey class. Thanks for all your thoughts. She was definitely someone that was very special to me.

On another note. Been just me and my 15 year old son for a couple of days now. We have been having a blast. I am so proud of him. Don't really miss my wife. Maybe some issues there.
Old 11-11-2017, 10:41 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Viper- I would say 90% or more of the dogs in the shelter I will be working at are pit bulls. I guess I could snatch a couple and bring em home. Lol- most people are afraid of them. I love the breed.
And in regards to Cuba, that sounds awesome. My friend visited when they lifted the ban and he loved it. I vaguely remember reading that they will be changing the travel law again? I guess I can google it. Also, they make the best coffee, called Cubata.. It's sooo good. I used ask my clients when there was a ban to bring some home when they took cruises and what not. Blah blah blah...

There's a couple more things I wanted to respond to -but I'm running way behind today. so I'll check in later.

Have a nice weekend everyone!
Old 11-11-2017, 01:05 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

I am having the strongest urges. I feel so overwhelmed. I hate to complain about my mom but she is doing everything possible to sabatage this weekend. I truly know as soon as I'm settled into my place everything will change. I am mentally prepared to walk away. Life will have its challenges, I know this. I need to patient just a few more days. I'm sorry about complaining. I am sick of complaining. I've been in strife for so long.
It's almost over. I'm almost there. Wow- the urge just passed. As if it wasn't even there.
And Kit- you are absolutely correct. I think you had mentioned I should be proud. I worked really hard to get to this point. Getting a job that I love!
I have so much to look forward to and I am a survivor. I got this.
Thanks for being here SR/ October Class.

And thank you Dee for helping me yesterday.

One Box At A Time.
Old 11-11-2017, 01:19 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Wax- I think people blame the Pit bull, when they should be blaming the handler/owner. Breeds along the line of pits, are a hunting base breed, so that when they bite, they lock their jaws and shake and tear, causing massive damage, while for example like my border collies, who probably just as guilty as biting as a pit type dog, just nip and release, causing "generally" much less damage. Plus they have been so inbred due to the fighting clubs, that the "pit" is no longer the breed that it was meant to be years ago. Also, so many breeds resemble the stereotype "look" that 99% of people, myself included, cannot tell the difference between a Pit bull and a Staffordshire, they just see the boxy head and small ears and freak out. Which unfortunatley is what a lot of the owners want, makes them feel all tough and gangsta.

Badge
Old 11-11-2017, 01:30 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Kit- how are you feeling? Didn't you have a visit with the Doc? Hope it went well and you got some answers.

LuLu? Are you lost amongst the boxes?

Ready- congrats on 22!!

Brighten- hope your weekend is going well, probably out camping or some other outdoor activity that will just serve to make me more jealous of your life,,,,

Rubaduck- check in please

Soul- your probably on a wonderful day drive in your new car, tunes playing, having a good time!

take care all-

Badge
Old 11-11-2017, 02:21 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Badge- we call our pits "insert my city - specials" because they are all mixed with one breed or another. It's funny, when I first started volunteering, I was attracted to the dogs that behaved like the men I've dated. Real nice at first and then without any warning, they'll bite ya! I say this comically, but in all seriousness.
It's the "littles" that bite you. Lol- since then I find myself more drawn to the "nicer " dogs so to speak so I must be getting healthier.
Old 11-11-2017, 03:03 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

ChloeRose- Congrats on the 43 Days!
Old 11-11-2017, 03:24 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  
O-n K-a-r A-r-r-e-s-t

I hope everyone is doing well this evening. I did school work all day today and sorted/threw away a bag of papers. I ate the whole day long... letting myself indulge for awhile here. Had asparagus last nite and tonight .....
Q: I've noticed that when I eat asparagus, my urine has a funny smell. Is that normal?

A: It's totally normal. In fact, the effect of asparagus on urine odor has been observed for centuries. French novelist Marcel Proust famously wrote in 1913 that asparagus "transforms my chamber-pot into a flask of perfume." And one British men's club is said to have put up a sign reading, "During the asparagus season, members are requested not to relieve themselves in the hat stand."
Depending on which study you read, between 22% and 50% of the population report having pungent pee after eating asparagus. But that doesn't mean only some people's bodies generate that smell. Researchers believe that, during digestion, the vegetable's sulfurous amino acids break down into smelly chemical components in all people. And because those components are "volatile," meaning airborne, the odor wafts upward as the urine leaves the body and can be detected as soon as 15 minutes after you eat this spring delicacy.
But only about one-quarter of the population appears to have the special gene that allows them to smell those compounds. So the issue isn't whether or not your pee is smelly; it's whether you're able to smell it. If you smell a funny fragrance in your urine after you eat asparagus, you're not only normal, you have a good nose. from WebMD
So I have a good nose or I'm just a pungent pee-er..... anyhoo it was good!! I have another treat for tonight ---> cookie dough ice cream. I'm gonna have to eat carrots forever to get back to being a twiggy girl.
badger - you made me laugh and made me cry - didn't get out today but I am going to have at least one good drive around before I get on car arrest. and I have to figure out how to set the stations... why does every car have to have different buttons to push in different sequences to do this simple thing???!!!!
wax - I think it is cool as all get out that you magically got through your urges while posting on the thread. goooood deal!
I was spared worrying about the court date letter due to the holiday today. Love to all veterans and their families. And it makes me think of all our service people who are away from their families and loved ones... I want them all to be with their people and to be back in our country.
Old 11-11-2017, 08:03 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Bed time. FREEZING outside. Unusual 25 tonight. Hate it.

I suppose it would have been stupid to expect to continue improving 3 days in a row. 7 and 8 were very good. Today I was exhausted. I slept from 3:30 to 5:30. I was out like a light. Then really tired and shot all night. Luckily I got my dinner before I came home because I could feel I was going to be taking a long nap.

I just messed around web window shopping and watching movies. Hopefully things will will improve tomorrow. It’s never a straight line with this. I guess today was a day of exhaustion. There should come a pint where things are more stable in the next couple of weeks.

My sick friend is calling. I’m not picking up. I know the first thing she’ll say is ‘thank you for answering,’ because no one will pick up. I don’t feel right about it. I can’t take the nightmare. I’m moving on to day 10 tomorrow with you folks.

Night,

Viper
Old 11-11-2017, 09:49 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

You guys are an awesome group and that provides the strength and community to succeed at sobriety. I had an awesome group this spring in April and it was very helpful. I wish you all blessings and strength in the early days of your sobriety. It is worth it.
Old 11-11-2017, 10:38 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Hey group,

Just a quick check in. 6:35 am. Awake and can't get back to sleep so coffee and SR then I'm getting on with some housework.

Badge - I did get to the docs, thanks for asking about me! They took all my bloods and I get the results this Wednesday. I'm thinking all will be ok but just thought worth checking iron and so on with being so tired. Other than tiredness that I'm sure's affecting many of us I'm really good thanks! Bad week last wk but it's passed and I'm feeling strong and happy again Day 32 today.

Right, housework then my friends over I've not seen for over 12 months so really looking forward to her coming, going for a nice Sunday lunch.

Happy Sober Sunday folks.

Check in again later.

K x
Old 11-12-2017, 01:04 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Hey all.

It's good to see everyone get through the weekend. Currently on day 15 which is the longest I've lasted in a long time. Usually I get so irritable after two weeks that I just need to binge to release it and to let off steam.

I didn't do this last night but was unbearably irritable all night. I couldn't get to sleep until 2 and woke up at half 6 with the same feeling. So I just got up early. Still feeling similar two hours later but at least I'm not hungover.

I went to the bar last night to watch the soccer with my friends. I told them I'm not drinking tonight and they tried to convince me to just have a few etc. It was very hard to say no but I did. I'm sort of realising I might have to cut some friends out of my life and this is sort of what made me sleep poor as I hate being by myself and I'm worried about making new friends.

Anyway I think I'll go for a walk to clear my head. Thanks for the continued support in this thread and apologies there is no advice offered in this post, I just needed a wee rant.
Old 11-12-2017, 01:15 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  
Administrator

doubledee the best assurance I can give you is things work out - they really do. I have more friends and more social life now than I ever had as a drinker

D
Old 11-12-2017, 02:49 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by badgerden View Post
Rubaduck- check in please
I'm around, lurking somewhat. After three weeks, there's really no change in how I feel with regards to alcohol. I'm a social person, but not a social media person, so I haven't been posting. Being busy and tired doesn't motivate me to type much, either. I think you're all nice people, and wish you all happiness and good health.

I know the hugs are here if I need them.
Old 11-12-2017, 03:25 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  
Administrator

I wouldn't categorise SR as 'social media' - I think it's more substantial than that - but as long as you're not drinking and you're happy about it, it's all good Rubaduck

D
Old 11-12-2017, 04:21 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Originally Posted by waxfruit View Post
ChloeRose- Congrats on the 43 Days!
wax!
My thoughts are with you.
I hope they give you comfort and strength because you are not alone!
Old 11-12-2017, 04:24 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I wouldn't categorise SR as 'social media' - I think it's more substantial than that - but as long as you're not drinking and you're happy about it, it's all good Rubaduck

D
Please don't think this is "social media". That is far from the truth as to what SR is. I kindof felt insulted but, maybe you just don't know us that well yet.