Notices

Class of October 2017 Support Thread pt. 4

Old 11-10-2017, 01:49 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

CC- yup that was a sign for sure. Had that of been me, I would have gone into a massive paranoic panic attack, and stripped my car in search of other evidence that i left behind for husband to find.

Wax how is the apartment coming?

Viper- I was looking through the REI sale flyer that I got, not sure if it is the same one you get, but even at their 30% off it is still to spendy for my wallet. I like going to the store though, they always seem to have the latest camping gizmos and gear, and I do love my gizmos and gear, never use half of it but you can never have to much ya know!

I need to get focused back on work, I am not going to jinx myself, but today does appear to vastly great improvement from yesterday, wish me luck.

Badge
Old 11-10-2017, 01:58 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Just saw your post Soul, congrats on making it through the beer aisle!! Those stores are sneaky and in cahoots with my AV! they have wine bins, and bottles all over the place!! Its a conspiracy I tell ya!!!! and i love sweet potato fries! yummmm

Badge
Old 11-10-2017, 02:10 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Personally I love cold weather but I'm a freak that way. I have always run warm. When everyone else is saying how nice it is outside in the summer I'm dying of heat. The colder the better. I need to move north. I'd love to live in Vermont or Maine. Beautiful. And cold, lol.

There is a recurring theme here of words that indicate self doubt. I read a lot of "if" and "hope." That is the very definition of self-doubt, not being confident that you WILL make it happen, that you ARE going to meet your goals. The goals here that I'm talking about are reasonable and certainly attainable. Stop being the problem child, avoid drinking, stop the urges, stop being depressed, etc. Please, please please. Turn it around. Increase your confidence in yourselves. Do it. Don't try. Do it. You can and you WILL if you keep your focus and work at it. Words turn into actions. Word things in a more certain way and your thoughts will follow. Trust me and just try it. It will make a world of difference in your outlook.

Now, I'm not saying it is easy. As a Type 2 Bipolar depression and anxiety are obviously a part of my life that I have to deal with on a regular basis. But with my faith and with positive wording and thoughts I am meeting all of the goals that I set out to meet. You can do it too.
Old 11-10-2017, 02:14 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Kit - if you haven't got something positive to say share on this I wouldn't worry. If you're feeling low we still want to hear to see if we can help.

Charliesworld - thanks for the post. You described my beliefs almost to a tee.

It's good to know everybody gets down days to. Because when you're in the middle of feeling low you sometimes believe nobody else is experiencing it too.

Hope everybody gets through the weekend drink free.
Old 11-10-2017, 02:22 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Yes, absolutely agree about sharing what you are feeling! Even if it is negative, that's what we are all here for. Support when we're down and out and congratulations when we are winning. Never hold back. I'm just encouraging everyone to reword things and think positively. Either way we are all here with a common history and common goal.
Old 11-10-2017, 04:00 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have a good sober weekend everyone

D
Old 11-10-2017, 04:12 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I made it home too. I’ve got to make a salad and binge watch some Gotham. Penguin!! A pound of strawberries and a couple of sweet oat bars to eat that night.

Day 8 was even better than 7. I hit the sales at Eastern Mountain Sports and REI. I did well. Managed to simply make returns at EMS and escape without buying anything. I got some good stuff that I needed at REI. Then I hit Whole Foods at 6pm. Just got back and am taking a break.

Check in before bed.

Viper
Old 11-10-2017, 04:59 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Viperidae View Post
I made it home too. I’ve got to make a salad and binge watch some Gotham. Penguin!! A pound of strawberries and a couple of sweet oat bars to eat that night.

Day 8 was even better than 7. I hit the sales at Eastern Mountain Sports and REI. I did well. Managed to simply make returns at EMS and escape without buying anything. I got some good stuff that I needed at REI. Then I hit Whole Foods at 6pm. Just got back and am taking a break.

Check in before bed.

Viper
There's a giant REI distribution center about a mile from where I live. I'll tell them to give you like 95% off, lol.

Praying for everyone to have a sober night. My girlfriend is coming in this weekend so I might not be posting every day as I have been but I'll try to check in at least once daily. Even if I don't I promise you I won't be drinking. Unless I want a trip to the hospital at the hands of my GF, lol.
Old 11-10-2017, 06:42 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

This day has been a roller coaster of emotions.
I'm getting ready to head back to my parents house. It's gonna take me a few days to get my apartment situated. I want to share a bit of my story and how important this move is. Before I moved in with my parents and the reason why i did was because I was in an extremely abusive relationship for nearly 8 years. I never imagined I would be walking into another abusive situation with my parents. I've been beaten down pretty hard and it's time for me to heal.
So, I didn't get much done. I was in complete shock when I got here and pretty much cried most of the day and wrote in my journal. Now that the day is ending and I've spent time here, I'm feeling more confident. I was scared. This has been a long road of pain and suffering. Some self induced and some by the hands of others. It's time to break that cycle.
I appreciate all your support. It's great to have you all.
Old 11-10-2017, 06:58 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Believe it or not but you are sounding stronger Wax, I am sensing a more determined, stronger you in your words. I like that, take your time. You got this, One box at a time!

Badge
Old 11-10-2017, 07:07 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Wax, thank you so much for sharing that. I think by learning each other's stories we can better relate and help each other. I'm so glad to hear you are keeping a journal. So very helpful on so many levels. I also agree with Bad in that you are sounding positive and open to change. Great job, keep it up!
Old 11-10-2017, 07:07 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Thank You Badge
Thank You GB
My parents house is so toxic and I always feel like I'm suffocating there.
For the first time in nearly ten years I feel like I can breathe.
Old 11-10-2017, 07:21 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Wax, be very careful. Stressful environments will often trigger an urge to drink as I'm sure you are aware. Have a strong plan in place. Post here often so we know how you are doing. You won't fail. Tell yourself that. Be positive. Meet that stifling environment with new strength. You will do this.
Old 11-10-2017, 07:29 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Hi class. I have a heavy heart tonight. Just learned that one of my co-workers has passed. She was a unique person that I really loved. She had the talent to get right at the center of problems at a glance and was tough enough to stand behind it. I will miss her a lot.
Old 11-10-2017, 07:34 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

GetBetter -
I will definitely post often these next few days. My mom was screaming at me , just screaming at me all day yesterday and I'm sure I'll hear it when I return tonight. She will most definitely be giving me horrible looks. That I know. Or maybe not? Wishful thinking... I kept thinking today, forgive her. The reality is I do need to be careful these next few days. She wants to break my spirit and keep me down. She has said many times that she wishes I would just end my life. If I have to leave, at least now I have somewhere to go. That's my plan. Didn't even think about it until you mentioned it. I can always turn around and sleep here.
Old 11-10-2017, 07:40 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Bob: Sorry to hear of the loss. As with any situation that weakens it, the enemy uses it to plant the seed of drinking. Tell yourself you are unwilling to submit.

Wax: You are in a toxic environment. I cannot imagine a parent telling their child that they wish you would end your own life. If you already shared then please accept my apologies for not remembering. Why did you move back home? I know I'm being Captain Obvious again but you've got to get out of there like now. Not only does it place you in danger of drinking but it just isn't healthy on any conceivable level. I really like what you said about forgiving her. You are right. Love your enemies, and while it is disheartening that you have an enemy in your own parents, that is the reality in which you are placed. Stay strong and know that, without question, you WILL get through the dark, cloudy skies and break out into the sunshine.
Old 11-10-2017, 07:41 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Bob, I'm so very sorry for your loss. My thoughts are with you.
Old 11-10-2017, 07:44 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Bob I am so sorry for your loss, I am sure your friend will never be far from you though.

Badge
Old 11-10-2017, 07:45 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

GetBetter, I posted above why I moved back home and I haven't shared much of my story and what has been going on at my parents house. It was too much and too dark to talk about. I feel like I can now share what was happening.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:09 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Hello all, I stole this from Dee on the christmas holiday survival 2.0 thread, love it! Badge

not everyone will appreciate you giving up alcohol...and you might face some extreme peer pressure... To "just have one".

While at first glance it might seem easier to cave in, there are plenty of ways to refuse that drink.

Most people will understand why you're abstaining if you explain it, but there's always one who will try and press a vodka soda or whiskey on the rocks into your hand.

You could always get the bartender to make you a virgin cocktail. Tell those non-supporters there's rum in your coke – they won't know it's alcohol-free.

If the pressure gets too much, use humour to diffuse the situation. Most people will appreciate the funny side and back off.

Next time you want to refuse a drink at a party or at a bar try one of these lines and the punters should leave you alone.

– i took a shark bite to the knee and am on antibiotics, so i can't drink.

– sorry, i'm donating blood plasma to needy children.

– i've got to be sober in case gotham needs me.

– i'm training for the olympics. (when they ask what sport you're doing, of course divulge that it's synchronised swimming!)

– i'm doing an ultra marathon at 4 a.m. Tomorrow.

– sorry, my parole officer said i can't drink.

– no thanks, i'm high on life.

– chuck norris doesn't need whiskey to be a legend and neither do i.

– for all i do, i don't need a brew.

– flash a card from your wallet and say its a license to not drink.

Of course, don't forget your real reasons.

Reminding yourself of this should strengthen your resolve. After all, going alcohol-free... Doesn't mean you can't enjoy a good night out.

From FebFast.org.au
d