Notices

Class of October 2017 Support Thread pt. 3

Old 11-01-2017, 12:02 PM
  # 141 (permalink)  

really quick check in as I am off to work in a few,,, hurray,,, woopee, wahoo,,,,,,,,,sigh,,,,,

Thank you wax for the idea! I used to listen to native american flute and tribal music, very calming. Will have to try to find them.

LuLu congrats on your 3 weeks!

Okay, my car isn't driving itself,,,,,,

Badge

Kit please stay safe in your travels!
Old 11-01-2017, 12:04 PM
  # 142 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the input guys...

I can deal with it as I know it's temporary. It's mainly the affect it's having on my work that's the tough part.
After a night with just 2 hours it's a killer, can't focus or get the same results.
I reckon it'll pass around the month mark for some reason, got a gut feeling

I'm going to drink these herbal teas tonight and try reading a book instead of being on the laptop or watching tv, nice dim lighting, herbal tea and reading...

I will report back tomorrow

Short post now, seeing double on this screen lol.

Love out to each of you! Let's stay strong SR crew!

K x
Old 11-01-2017, 12:36 PM
  # 143 (permalink)  

Hi there everyone, Been a few days since I was able to post.

Today is Day 13 for me. Been doing good till now. This afternoon I am having lots of thoughts about drinking wine tonight. I’ve been playing the tape over in my head about what happened just 13 days ago, about reasons I shouldn’t, and of course all the positives for not drinking, but the nasty craving is there.

I was supposed to go out to dinner tonight but I am thinking of cancelling it. Driving there will take me past too many liquor stores and of course , the restaurant serves wine. That said, I am sure the craving feeling will pass soon and I will be able to go after all. I hope so.

Anyway, thanks for being here. Hope everyone has a great night.

LHW
Old 11-01-2017, 12:57 PM
  # 144 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LoveHateWhine View Post
Hi there everyone, Been a few days since I was able to post.

Today is Day 13 for me. Been doing good till now. This afternoon I am having lots of thoughts about drinking wine tonight. I’ve been playing the tape over in my head about what happened just 13 days ago, about reasons I shouldn’t, and of course all the positives for not drinking, but the nasty craving is there.

I was supposed to go out to dinner tonight but I am thinking of cancelling it. Driving there will take me past too many liquor stores and of course , the restaurant serves wine. That said, I am sure the craving feeling will pass soon and I will be able to go after all. I hope so.

Anyway, thanks for being here. Hope everyone has a great night.

LHW
I kept giving in at 4-7 days, then I finally got to 14 twice, and caved. This time two weeks was a killer for me, I just had to really keep reminding myself about the nausea, fatigue, irritability, cloudy eyes...it's tough because at two weeks I always started to feel really good again, so AV was like "well, dodged that bullet, grab a drink!". AV is a jerk though, because each time it gets worse, and each two weeks becomes harder. This time at two weeks I was really struggling so I started reading the big book and going to AA to remind myself how good I WAS feeling, and how one night of "to hell with it" would lead me to weeks and months more of hell.

At 27 days I am still having cravings, but nothing like I was two weeks ago. Get over this hump LHW, it will be worth it.
Old 11-01-2017, 01:17 PM
  # 145 (permalink)  

Charliesworld--Holidays are always difficult for me but I am determined that this year will be the first that I defeat my demon alcohol and stay sober. Holidays were a family drinking affair. My grand father would drink and we'd watch football. My mom would get plastered. I'd have at least 4 different microbrews to get me through.

I find that if I have trouble sleeping I give it an hour. If I'm just tossing and turning I read. Something to take my mind away. I read either the Bible or a novel for maybe 30 minutes or until I start to feel tired. When I lie back down I make a movie in my mind of what I just read. Usually works.
Old 11-01-2017, 02:35 PM
  # 146 (permalink)  

Thanks rmeat - it sure does get harder and harder. It has never once been any better. The hangovers are much worse and last 24 hours at a minimum. I guess I need to keep that thought out in front too!

I decided to cancel the dinner plans and just stay home. I know the craving will pass but I just don’t trust myself tonight. That AV feels like it’s gonna take complete control. I will dig something out of my freezer and settle in with a good book or watch some TV.

LHW
Old 11-01-2017, 03:41 PM
  # 147 (permalink)  

Hi all,

rmeatgt350, thanks for the post about the two weeks stage. I'm fast approaching it. I can feel the improvements in my body. I just have to remind myself that drinking, or getting drunk isn't special. I've been enjoying my home life and sleeping well. It's useful to have someone remind me that "one drink" isn't one drink, and "one day" isn't one day.
Old 11-01-2017, 03:42 PM
  # 148 (permalink)  

Good evening all and happy November. Great to see everyone's posts, thoughts,encouragement and even the struggles - as we are all going through them. Just wanted to check in - coming down with a cold and hitting the hot tea hard tonight. Bourbon never really worked anyways :-) Think my immune system is just completely shot from stress. I know I have to stop beating myself up and take care of myself not only spiritually but physically. Wishing everyone a pleasant evening. Glad to be aboard the ship!
Old 11-01-2017, 03:53 PM
  # 149 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LuluBread View Post
Brighten - hope all is going well for you.
Thanks Lulu! Hope all is well with you also!!

Wow, it's strange that October is over and this class has graduated. Kinda nostalgic in a way.

Anyway, all is good here. I still pop in to read an article or a thread here and there. I am now at 29 days sober, things are getting easier in certain ways, sleep has been a bit better for sure. Working out and keeping to a busy plan has helped tremendously. My biggest problem was the boredom. A lot of people will say boredom is an excuse and there are plenty of things to do to keep ones self busy, I agree partially but there still comes that time of night where ya need to unwind and relax, not like your gonna run 5 miles than jump right into bed to sleep without the unwinding period or without relaxing and chilling a bit. That is where my AV hits, during that time when ya just wanna kick back a bit after all the days activities. Weekends are especially tough, especially since the things I would have normally done with my old friends for so many years no longer exist to me. But I am getting used to it and it's getting a bit easier. Right now just the thought of ruining how far ive made it is a deterrent in itself.

Im gonna backtrack a bit and catch up on this thread, I hope all you guys and ladies are doing well!!

Gonna order some Chinese now, maybe some General TSO's. Yummm!!

Brighten
Old 11-01-2017, 04:10 PM
  # 150 (permalink)  

I can completely relate with that last hour or two before bed where you want to unwind. That was whiskey time for me. For the first few weeks of sobriety it was BORING time, but now I'm changing things up a bit. Eating a bit earlier (used to eat at 7 start drinking right after dinner) then working out for an hour. If, when I'm done that and a shower I'm still mentally bored I check SR, or will hit up an AA meeting if available. Most times after the shower the urge has passed and I'm worn out enough that drinking just seems like too much work.

Oh, and huge congrats on a month tomorrow.!!!

Originally Posted by BrightenMeUp View Post
Thanks Lulu! Hope all is well with you also!!

Wow, it's strange that October is over and this class has graduated. Kinda nostalgic in a way.

Anyway, all is good here. I still pop in to read an article or a thread here and there. I am now at 29 days sober, things are getting easier in certain ways, sleep has been a bit better for sure. Working out and keeping to a busy plan has helped tremendously. My biggest problem was the boredom. A lot of people will say boredom is an excuse and there are plenty of things to do to keep ones self busy, I agree partially but there still comes that time of night where ya need to unwind and relax, not like your gonna run 5 miles than jump right into bed to sleep without the unwinding period or without relaxing and chilling a bit. That is where my AV hits, during that time when ya just wanna kick back a bit after all the days activities. Weekends are especially tough, especially since the things I would have normally done with my old friends for so many years no longer exist to me. But I am getting used to it and it's getting a bit easier. Right now just the thought of ruining how far ive made it is a deterrent in itself.

Im gonna backtrack a bit and catch up on this thread, I hope all you guys and ladies are doing well!!

Gonna order some Chinese now, maybe some General TSO's. Yummm!!

Brighten
Old 11-01-2017, 04:19 PM
  # 151 (permalink)  

Thanks gt350!! and well said.

Ive been thinking about hitting up an aa meeting in my area in that last hour or so before I hit the hay, I just havent gotten around to going yet. I think its foolish pride on my part, like I dont need it or something when I know it would probably benefit me greatly.
And yep, that time was always beer time for me. I have to catch myself a lot, ill be driving home and think (what a long day, at least I get to have beer time), ugh. Not sure ill ever get over that feeling. Its like a reward at the end of the day feeling. Im hoping that will pass.
Old 11-01-2017, 05:01 PM
  # 152 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BrightenMeUp View Post
Thanks gt350!! and well said.

Ive been thinking about hitting up an aa meeting in my area in that last hour or so before I hit the hay, I just havent gotten around to going yet. I think its foolish pride on my part, like I dont need it or something when I know it would probably benefit me greatly.
And yep, that time was always beer time for me. I have to catch myself a lot, ill be driving home and think (what a long day, at least I get to have beer time), ugh. Not sure ill ever get over that feeling. Its like a reward at the end of the day feeling. Im hoping that will pass.
I've been volunteering , working out, anything to distract me. AA has been the best bet for me. I dont have to do anything but listen. I recommend it.
Old 11-01-2017, 05:05 PM
  # 153 (permalink)  

Good evening all.

I made it to Van Horn, TX. A few stressful events today, but I managed to get through. Had to sneak the kitties into the hotel room in my laundry bag (the only hotel on this trip that is not pet-friendly). Well, they don't make a mess so I don't feel bad about it.

Hope the sleepless are going to get sleep, and glad to hear the progress of others. I'm gonna pop into November Class and see what's going on in there....
Old 11-01-2017, 08:23 PM
  # 154 (permalink)  

Glad you made it safely LuLu. I had to google Van Horn tx to see where it was, looks like a cute little place, on wikipedia anyway. Good for you to sneak the kitties in!

Brighten I am sure that the end of the day beer reward will pass with time and I guess effort on our part. I know I was super pleased with myself when I made through the grocery store and not drooling and migrating towards the wine aisle. I gave it very little thought, which surprised me afterward, so maybe I am making progress on this sober path.

Rub- you are so spot on with the one drink isn't one drink and one day isn't one day, definitely describes me .

Kit- The book should be better than a lap top or ipad. I have heard that the computer light stimulates some part of our brain. Anyway good luck to you and let me know okay?

My day is going as well as can be expected. The dogs and I got our 2 mile walk in, they are slowly learning to walk off leash. Bear does really well, she stays right by my right leg, even on leash, Badger, well not so much, she likes to go exploring. Plus the fact they are both cowards, when Bear gets scared she tries to crawl onto my shoulders and Badger just leaves the county at a high rate of speed, so if attacked I consider myself doomed.

Okay,,, work calls again.

take care all
Badge
Old 11-01-2017, 11:45 PM
  # 155 (permalink)  

Badgerden - Just gave me a good laugh out loud with my morning coffee reading your post about the dogs in an attack

LuLu - Glad you made it and damn right sneak those kittens in haha, animals are better behaved than most humans I find so...

BrightenMeUp - I am just the same with regards to the AA meetings. I have one tonight, it's 6:38am as typing this and already I'm having a conversation with myself trying to get out of it!!!

Well SR crew, I SLEPT!!!!! I SLEPT I SLEPT I SLEPTTTTTT lol!!!
I did wake every couple of hours or so but instead of that being me up for several hours, I soon drifted back off each time. That is the best night sleep I have had since going sober. I put it down to the herbal tea, it's fresh loose tea made up from the herbalist and each herb she mixed is calming for anxiety and insomnia. I had 3 large mugs in the evening before bed and ditching the laptop and tv. I did wake alot but I slept alot compared to every night so far so we have progress!

What happens with moving into November? Do we have a new thread or.... ???

Wishing everyone a good day / evening.

Lets stay strong and sober SR crew!

K x
Old 11-02-2017, 03:09 AM
  # 156 (permalink)  

Thanks rmeat - it sure does get harder and harder. It has never once been any better. The hangovers are much worse and last 24 hours at a minimum. I guess I need to keep that thought out in front too!

I decided to cancel the dinner plans and just stay home. I know the craving will pass but I just don’t trust myself tonight. That AV feels like it’s gonna take complete control. I will dig something out of my freezer and settle in with a good book or watch some TV.

LHW
Great job on identifying that you don't trust yourself! That is a fantastic step forward, identifying a potential trigger before it actually IS a trigger!
Old 11-02-2017, 03:15 AM
  # 157 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LuluBread View Post

I made it to Van Horn, TX. A few stressful events today, but I managed to get through. Had to sneak the kitties into the hotel room in my laundry bag (the only hotel on this trip that is not pet-friendly). Well, they don't make a mess so I don't feel bad about it.
Is Van Horn TX the end point? I hope so for your sake although I have not heard of it. You managing to find decent food on the road or did you pack everything?
Old 11-02-2017, 03:19 AM
  # 158 (permalink)  

LHW
That's great that you are taking good care of yourself. The two week mark was the hardest for me too rmeat! I cried my head off. It was unexpected, I thought I would suffer the most the first couple of days. Stay strong LHW!
Old 11-02-2017, 05:03 AM
  # 159 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Good Morning, Class!
Old 11-02-2017, 05:58 AM
  # 160 (permalink)  

Morning Octoberites!!

Checkin in on day 30!! I'm completely surprised that I even made it this far, never thought I would or could. I even had that little voice last night tell me (hey, you made it a month so you could probably be a social drinker if you want). Yep that voice that lies to us all.

Thank you guys for all the support!! I joined here on Oct 9th so this place was crucial to my recovery. Now I have to not let myself get lax in sobriety, i'm afraid if I get complacent that my AV will trick me. And I must say that i'm a bit nervous about the upcoming holidays. This time of year was a great excuse to drink for me.

I'm gonna look up AA classes today as I have no support as far as sober people go. I know I gotta at least give it a try.

Kit as you mentioned above, i'm looking for reasons not to go as well. I need to get over this foolish pride of mine. BTW, did you end up going ? If so how was it?

Ok guys and ladies, have a great day today. Im gonna try and get here as much as possible.

Time for a coffee and a honeybun

Brighten