Notices

Class of October 2017 Support Thread pt. 3

Old 10-28-2017, 04:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

Class of October 2017 Support Thread pt. 3

last part here:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...pt-2-a-21.html (Class of October 2017 Support Thread pt. 2)

D
Old 10-28-2017, 04:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

One of them is this...." Stay away from recovery groups of all kinds, set your confidence for lifetime abstinence arbitrarily at 100%, recognize all self-doubt as your Addictive Voice. Let the Beast count time, and you'll do fine"

Now what sits uneasily with me is the question .."Does this site fall into the category of a Recovery Group? Is there anyone here familiar with AVRT who can shed some light on this question for me please?

Thank you
Victor
Hi Victor - I'm not an authority on RR but we've had a strong RR presence here on SR for many years now, and some long term recovery from SR/RR adherents.

I hope that fact gives you a little reassurance

D
Old 10-28-2017, 04:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats to everyone hitting a milestone today no matter what it is.

Kit, I'm sorry your mum upset you but I think you're doing great. It's a bit of an emotional rollercoaster for a while once we quit, but it's worth it

waxfruit I can absolutely reassure you that what ever health problems you have not drinking will improve them , if not outright cure them

D
Old 10-28-2017, 04:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
O-n K-a-r A-r-r-e-s-t

Good evening all. Looks like some had a good day and some of us struggled. I am in the latter. I was doing halfway alright until I got the mail. The mailman didn't knock (certified letter) so I need to go to the post office to get what I am sure will be the court date letter. Also got a bill from the hospital for the five minutes the doc spent checking my blood pressure and heart (accident during dui) that night. That shouldn't have surprised me but I hadn't even thought of them billing me. I worry about other bills I haven't thought of. Ever since, I have felt like I am in a low-grade panic attack. There are so many steps before I even get to the year of the ignition interlock stage. So glad to have my cats around today.
Old 10-28-2017, 10:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

hang in there Soul, stressing about the future only messes up what happiness is around you today. Glad you are posting and staying sober. I know you can do this!

Horrid day at work,,, still 5 hours to go. than off for three, always the worst of my drinking days, in fact only those days. My AV is absolutely silent the 4 days I work than BAM, loud and insistant. I need to study up on that AVERT practice, I will be needing it,,, sigh.

Badge
Old 10-28-2017, 10:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Juno, I am hoping to finish stranger things 2 tonight, really enjoying it! fun series.

Badge
Old 10-28-2017, 11:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

6:24am here...

Thanks for the replies rmeatgt350 & Dee and re assurance - Really helps!

Soulshine - Stay strong, thinking of you!

Wax - Hope you're ok! My emotions are all over too, we got this though sticking with SR and getting to the meetings etc, the days are totting up and it will get better for us.

Badge - Make some plans for your days off, I can relate to you, I'm actually looking forward to it being Monday tomorrow, my weekly routine is back, makes us feel safer from temptation. Make some plans, write it down so you have an organised routine to follow, you'll be fine I know it

Love and thoughts out to everyone else on here too!!!

Day 18 now so I'm assuming soon I'll be over the worst and start balancing out. I HOPE!!!!

I think I'll relax more tomorrow evening, at the end of the work day Monday I will know if I've covered my outgoings that are behind to keep the house.
I think this is playing on my mind alot too so I know if I can pay my rent etc. I'll relax BIGTIME! Roll on tomorrow evening then I know where I stand.

I don't have much planned today, I'll be out walking with Zygi as usual then I'll head back with my Mum to my Mum & Dads house and have Sunday dinner with them and stay there a few hours.

I'm avoiding alot of people and places as this time I really can't fail so I'm leaving it a bit longer this time to venture into certain situations. Another couple of weeks and I'll be a lot stronger I think.

K x
Old 10-28-2017, 11:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoulShine8 View Post
Good evening all. Looks like some had a good day and some of us struggled. I am in the latter. I was doing halfway alright until I got the mail. The mailman didn't knock (certified letter) so I need to go to the post office to get what I am sure will be the court date letter. Also got a bill from the hospital for the five minutes the doc spent checking my blood pressure and heart (accident during dui) that night. That shouldn't have surprised me but I hadn't even thought of them billing me. I worry about other bills I haven't thought of. Ever since, I have felt like I am in a low-grade panic attack. There are so many steps before I even get to the year of the ignition interlock stage. So glad to have my cats around today.
Hi all, I was just popping in to offer my support and love to all of you. I too am just starting back out after a relapse. It was really heart-breaking for me to have drank again but I am feeling better than ever at just over 5 weeks. You can do it, we can do it. It is so worth it.

Soulshine, I can totally relate to this post. Here in Italy the bureaucracy is out-of-this-world unbelievable. Really to do anything at all- pay a bill, get the mail, update my visa, fix my internet, etc- it takes hours and hours and money and more hours and more money. I used to get really upset by all this. I have now accepted that this is the way it is here, no amount of complaining or sulking or acting like a brat (yeah, tired that too) will change things or make it go faster. I just have to deal. I don't know how to explain it to you really, but I just kind of mentally prepare myself before I go out to run these errands, I get into a zen like state where I separate myself from the activities and just go through the motions. It helps. Another piece of advice would be to not open your bills or mail while out at the post office. Just pick up the envelopes and put them in your bag, then keep going on about with your other tasks. You can open the letters when you get home and then address things there. Best of luck to you, I understand these frustrations well.
Old 10-29-2017, 12:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you Kit, that is exactly what I am going to do, get my list going, projects to do. stay busy.

Badge
Old 10-29-2017, 12:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

waxfruit I can absolutely reassure you that what ever health problems you have not drinking will improve them , if not outright cure them

Dee
Read my post before responding. I never said I was turning to booze because of health problems.
Old 10-29-2017, 12:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My bad Dee-
Lack of sleep.
I hear you and agree!
Old 10-29-2017, 12:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi all, well it has been a week since I rejoined here tomorrow.
While I haven't committed myself to never drinking again which I do know is the better option I had 4 alcohol free days last week which is more than I have had in 10 years. I did drink over the weekend but paced myself and have set myself the task to get to next Friday as my immediate goal.
Normally I'd be thinking about a drink already on a Sunday but have no desire.
So not ideal, but an improvement.
Well done to all those alcohol free and thanks for all the inspiration.
Old 10-29-2017, 02:17 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

No worries waxfruit

D
Old 10-29-2017, 03:29 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi all

Whendovescry - That was my first achievement too. A week where I didn't drink every day. Next time I joined SR and had a serious go on the wagon. I think I got to somewhere near two weeks before I decided to drink at an upcoming event. Drank for a few weeks straight, then again a week off. Then decided to drink while doing a fun activity. Drank for a few weeks, and now here I am knowing where one day of drinking takes me. One week sober so far, and this time not fussed about not drinking in the future.

waxfruit - It seems like you're not having an easy time. But you're posting and thinking things through. Well done on your progress so far. I think posting here forces us to get our thoughts organised, instead of just spinning in our heads.

Badgerden - Thanks for being a prolific poster. Gives me something to read, and I enjoy your posts.

Kit - Same as Badgerden. Fingers crossed Monday goes well for you.

Soulshine - Perhaps you're having the hardest time out of anyone here. I do not envy your situation at all. But I know from my own life that worrying about things that I have to wait for isn't helpful. It's very difficult to stop dreading future events. Going for a walk or talking to people about something else seems to offer me a distraction.

Bobdrop - Keep trying with your own struggle. Stay dry, day by day. Perhaps with your wife situation, not talking about drinking for a while might help? Offer her a foot massage? I've never met a woman who didn't feel better after a foot massage. Perhaps you can improve your relationship in other ways, and might in turn ease the burden you are feeling.

Everyone else - I read your posts and thank you. My advice is - replace alcohol with water and two other drinks. You might need to try new things until you find something you like. I've found a tea drink and a sports drink have kept my urge for a nice drink (only water gets boring) satisfied. I literally always have a drink next to me. It used to be beer with occasional water. But I'm doing well with my new system.

Good luck.
Old 10-29-2017, 03:45 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Forgot to mention - warm milk nightcap. It sounds cheesy but slowly drinking a small cup of warm milk in the 15-20 minutes before I go to bed really works for me. It lets my body know "We're going to bed, and we're going to sleep". Without my usual beers to relax me, this has worked well. Combined with going to bed an hour or two earlier than usual, instead of staying up late every night.

Hope that works for someone else too, especially those struggling to sleep due to early sobriety.

Good luck.
Old 10-29-2017, 04:02 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks Rubaduck... I'm definitely going to try the warm milk.

I'm struggling right now, I know it'll get easier just yesterday and today I seem to feel like I'm right back to about days 5-10. I woke every hour literally last night.
It's now 11am here and I'm still sat in bed, I've been looking and feeling so much healthier but today I've no energy what so ever, just sat here thinking another half hour then I'll get up and ready and go on a good brisk walk with Zygi.
My skin broke out terrible too and I usually have real clear skin, I'm staying positive and telling myself this is all the **** / toxins coming out of my body and all part of me getting well.
Really hope that is the case.
I'm anxious and jittery, even nervous to walk Zygi, it's madness...

It's a beautiful day here, clear bright blue sky and belting sunshine, cold but beautiful. I just got a chamomile tea so when I finish that I'm forcing myself up and out on this walk!!!! Hopefully the brisk walk for a few miles will solve the above...

Love to everyone here!

K x
Old 10-29-2017, 04:48 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Good morning all and happy Sunday! Sunday's are typically a really big drinking day for me (usually a coffee and then straight to screwdrivers or beer)- so here's to my second sober Sunday. I will be thankful for starting the week out without the usual hangover.

Meraviglioso - I really enjoy your posts and perspective on life.

Kit2017 - I can relate to much of what you are feeling. I too am having a very hard time with my mom - she means well but we've always had a contentious relationship and this "stuff" that I’m going through seems to give her ammunition to make me feel even more s**ty. I know it's completely on me as to how I react to her - but old habits. At least I am really trying to be more self-aware when it comes to her. And don't get me wrong - i am really thankful to still have my parents support. I also have a dog - my saving grace now and always. I even feel like he's disappointed in me - I know he senses my depression and anxiety and has been giving me lots of kisses. Don't know what I'd do without him. Yeah - sleep is a real struggle right now. I try to take it when I can get it. But mine is also hour by hour.

Rubaduck - great advice! I am buying some teas today. This first week I've really struggled with getting anything down - food or drink. I've always drank a lot of water - but yes it gets boring. And i definitely need to stop the Coke.

Soulshine8 - I'm so sorry for the struggles you are having - as you know, I'm in a similar boat and the anxiety about the future is brutal. I agree with Badgerden "stressing about the future only messes up what happiness is around you today". Great advise for all of us - but I know my AV doesn't stay in the present - always in the past or future. I'm working on that.

I'm really grateful for this page and have read a lot of comforting posts on here. It's somewhat comforting to know that so many feel the same struggles I am going through.
Old 10-29-2017, 05:42 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Good morning October group! What a great fall morning in the Midwest USA - crisp 25 degrees this morning with sunny and 60 this afternoon.

I was re reading a go to business book last night and was reminded of a great quote by Thomas Edison - "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work".

We are a strong motivated group that has the ability to finish October and beyond strong - Don't miss your opportunity today...

Ba Bam!
Old 10-29-2017, 05:48 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

So to recap, don't miss opportunities and don't put diesel fuel in your gas car like my oldest daughter did last night
Old 10-29-2017, 06:10 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

CC, You brighten my day!