Notices

Class of October 2017 Support Thread pt. 3

Old 11-02-2017, 03:48 PM
  # 181 (permalink)  
O-n K-a-r A-r-r-e-s-t

I am off to take a relaxing hot bath, drinking some sweet tea. My evaluation for the alcohol classes is tomorrow and I am a nervous wreck. I am praying it is just the class and they don't decide I need to do something else, especially something else that I need to pay them for. Hopefully the classes start soon and I can get this part done and over with.
Wax -happy to hear it.
BMU - AA definitely isn't for everyone - take what you can get from it. I don't think there is a requirement for any certain religious feelings. Otherwise you might love it - you never know.
Badger - hope you get some sleep. I had the worst nightmare last nite about a man with a machine gun walking around my parents house (I was there) shooting everything and everyone up even the cops when they came and he walked right by me.... I woke up with my heart pounding.. haven't a clue where that came from
Hope everyone has a great sober evening.
Old 11-02-2017, 03:57 PM
  # 182 (permalink)  

Im sure everything is gonna be fine for you tomorrow Soulshine! Sending positive thoughts your way!!
Old 11-02-2017, 04:23 PM
  # 183 (permalink)  

Hi all!

SoulShine - Don't worry about it. Assume it's just the class, and it will go well. Stressing and worrying about unknown things isn't helpful, because there's nothing you can do about it. If something bad happens, start stressing at that time only. And use that feeling to motivate yourself to do everything you can to minimise the problem.

BrightenMeUp - You've had some good luck and have met someone, congratulations! Enjoy the moment. As above, you don't know her full feelings about drinking yet, so don't stress too much. Enjoy your good fortune and be happy until you meet again..

I would add that many people think "alcoholic" is an on/off thing. I've gotten a lot of knowledge from these forums, and believe it more of a spectrum, from "An unhealthy habit" to "Totally out of control". I think most people believe all alcoholics are totally off the deep end. Perhaps you could say you were a heavy drinker that recognised a habit, and have decided to stop it before it gets worse, for the sake of your health. Then mention your workouts as part of that same healthy lifestyle. I think she might be wondering if and when she is allowed to drink (or how you would feel about it in various situations), so I'd be sure to mention things like "I don't mind if you have drinks when we have dinner at a restaurant, but I wouldn't be having any", or whatever the truth might be in your case. Good luck!
Old 11-02-2017, 04:54 PM
  # 184 (permalink)  

Thanks Rubaduck!

Well said and very good words of wisdom!! Much appreciated!! And you are right about the "spectrum" aspect of alcoholism. So true.
Old 11-02-2017, 05:37 PM
  # 185 (permalink)  

Okay so this is sorta but not really funny.

Years ago I went on a daytime first date with a guy. I didn't drink at the time and neither did he. Turns out he was in AA which I knew going in, but it wasn't a turnoff per se.

What WAS a turnoff was him practically insisting to buy me a $75 thing I was looking at in the store we were in. (I ended up buying it myself) ...and trying to kiss me about two hours into this day date...and then later on him telling me that he had been in prison for six years.

I didn't go out with him again, but the dealbreaker was NOT his AA membership.
Old 11-02-2017, 06:20 PM
  # 186 (permalink)  

I have to jump in here on this one, BMU. I dont think you need to divulge too much with this woman at this early stage. You might just say you thought you were drinking too much and you decided you were going to stop. A friend of mine met a guy and on the first date he told her he didn’t drink. She asked why and he just said he wanted to live a healthier lifestyle. Once things began to get more serious, he told her he was a recovering alcoholic. She said it never bothered her that he didn’t tell her right away because not drinking is a healthier lifestyle.

Anyway, If things continue on the right path with you and this gal and you begin to see each other on a more regular basis then you can decide at that time to share more. Just my two cents worth.

Personally speaking, it wouldn’t bother me at all if I met a guy who didn’t drink and I felt that way even when I was drinking.
Old 11-02-2017, 06:37 PM
  # 187 (permalink)  

Bimini, wow that is half funny and half not for sure. Well, at least he did tell you he was locked up for 6 years before you met him again. Im sure he was an honest fella

LHW, thanks for that input!! I kinda realized over the past few hours that im taking things a bit too seriously about this. Ive only met her once and we've been texting. Im gonna go in with the approach I said above and if things go good thats cool but if not, thats fine also. Honestly im not even sure if im ready for the whole dating thing just yet.

I just wanna eat my pizza and enjoy life
Old 11-02-2017, 06:59 PM
  # 188 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on the move Wax

Some great advice here Brighten. I'm a big one for honesty but I've never been much of a dater - I tend to just fall into things - so I'd go with the consensus here.

Soulshine - I hope it all goes well for you

Hope everyone else is doing ok?

D
Old 11-02-2017, 08:03 PM
  # 189 (permalink)  

Hi ya'll. I made it to Junction, TX, opened the door to the hotel and it smelled powerfully horrid. Whatever cleaning product they use is atrocious. I canceled that hotel and decided to get back in the truck and drive another 2 1/2 hours to Austin. Didn't realize the gas tank was on E, light came on and I was in the middle of nowhere. I asked GPS for nearest gas station, and it took me 20 miles out of the way....so I lost about an hour round trip to get the gas. Gave GPS final destination and it took me the scenic route, which put another extra hour on the trip. I'm burned out (9 hrs of driving). But I made it!!

I'm in a very very nice hotel in Dripping Springs, which is 20 miles from my apartment. I can't wait to move in!

Congrats Wax.

Tired.
Old 11-02-2017, 08:19 PM
  # 190 (permalink)  

Hey Soulshine, I thought someone was going to bust the hotel room down last night and start shooting me and my cats! Weird you too had a shooter in your dream.

Brighten - https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...alcoholic.html (Advice needed: How do you tell someone you are an alcoholic?)
Old 11-02-2017, 08:22 PM
  # 191 (permalink)  

Yay LuLu! Yay Wax! such new adventures, love it! fresh starts, new page, just a little bit jealous over here

SoulShine- I will be thinking of you tomorrow, as duck said, try not to stress, it doesn't change anything. Get as much sleep as you can tonight and go in with a positive attitude, makes all the difference. You got this, I know you do!

Stressful day at work, lots of drama, I do get off in 41 minutes, not that I am staring at the clock or anything,,,,

Kind of felt like snow today around my area, that will be okay, I like snow the dogs love playing in it,,, fun all around, till you slide on the ice and hit the ditch, than the fun is well, not so much,,,,

Good luck tomorrow everyone who thinks they need it!

Badge
Old 11-02-2017, 08:36 PM
  # 192 (permalink)  

Glad you made it LuLu!!
Old 11-03-2017, 12:34 AM
  # 193 (permalink)  

7:35am here...

Onto Day 23 now

Not much to report really. Just working away picking work and finances back up, slowly but surely.
This afternoon I'm going into the main office I work for from home and on a self employed basis so no salary, just all commission based. Anyway I have put a proposal together to ask them to trial my business plan for 6 months which involves me being on salary.
I so want this to work and I sit before both directors today at 2pm.

I know it can go either way, I'd say it's 50/50 so looking at it like I have nothing to loose, if they say no then nothing has changed, if they say yes I will be so so pleased!!!! It's real stressful working like this with no security and I live alone so all it would take is one bad month or being ill or something and I wouldn't cover my outgoings.

Now I'm not drinking I reckon if they say yes to this I can really progress my work and build up a more stable set-up.

Cross your fingers and toes for me SR crew!

Sending Love, Peace and Strength to you all!!!

I'll check in again later, I need to go over everything for this meeting now then get some work done.

K x
Old 11-03-2017, 12:42 AM
  # 194 (permalink)  
Administrator

Best wishes Kit

D
Old 11-03-2017, 12:44 AM
  # 195 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee x
Old 11-03-2017, 03:32 AM
  # 196 (permalink)  

Just a quick check in...

My sugar cravings are EXTREME! Eating all the sugar is making me have slumps of energy where I can hardly keep my eyes open... I'm sure alot of you are going through exactly the same...

Any I just went over to the herbalist again and was advised to take a Chromium supplement. Just took the first one now.
I can be sat here working and actually feel I'm starting to nod off, think my blood sugar is going crazy right now so I'll keep you posted with how they work.

I'm trying to stay as natural as possible recovering, I don't take any medication just the Vit B Complex and now this Chromium supplement.

It's defo meant to balance blood sugar and stop the cravings, I don't mind eating some sweets and chocolate but the amount I'm getting through is crazy and is making me really tired and affecting work.

Right, back to work for me.

Hope everyone is having a nice Evening / Morning / Afternoon

K x
Old 11-03-2017, 03:37 AM
  # 197 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoulShine8 View Post
My evaluation for the alcohol classes is tomorrow

What are alcohol classes?

I made it through another Thursday. Somehow Thursdays are very hard for me. That was a big drinking day for me.

Oh and Happy Friday ( or whichever day it is for you) everyone! Lulu, Austin is great!
Congrats Brighten, waxfruit!

Last edited by MelSober; 11-03-2017 at 03:40 AM. Reason: Add stuff
Old 11-03-2017, 03:41 AM
  # 198 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kit2017 View Post
Just a quick check in...

My sugar cravings are EXTREME! Eating all the sugar is making me have slumps of energy where I can hardly keep my eyes open... I'm sure alot of you are going through exactly the same...

Any I just went over to the herbalist again and was advised to take a Chromium supplement. Just took the first one now.
I can be sat here working and actually feel I'm starting to nod off, think my blood sugar is going crazy right now so I'll keep you posted with how they work.

I'm trying to stay as natural as possible recovering, I don't take any medication just the Vit B Complex and now this Chromium supplement.

It's defo meant to balance blood sugar and stop the cravings, I don't mind eating some sweets and chocolate but the amount I'm getting through is crazy and is making me really tired and affecting work.

Right, back to work for me.

Hope everyone is having a nice Evening / Morning / Afternoon

K x
L-Glutamine is also a good supp for sugar and alcohol cravings. I'm right there with you for sugar cravings but they are getting better!
Old 11-03-2017, 03:49 AM
  # 199 (permalink)  

Thanks MelSober

How far on are you? I'm on day 23, feeling alot better just the sugar crashes I need to beat now

K x
Old 11-03-2017, 03:52 AM
  # 200 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kit2017 View Post
Thanks MelSober

How far on are you? I'm on day 23, feeling alot better just the sugar crashes I need to beat now

K x
Day 21 today! That seems so little but winning any day is good. I still feel vulnerable but that is probably the Thursday talking.