Old 03-29-2018, 04:04 PM
  # 461 (permalink)  
Administrator

Happy Easter gang

D
Old 03-30-2018, 03:48 PM
  # 462 (permalink)  

Happy Easter everyone!

Arp, I hope your Good Friday performances went well and good luck for tomorrow and Sunday!

I'm still chasing sheep :-), love the little lambs, sorry Arp, they all poo :-)

Happy sober Easter for us all
Old 03-31-2018, 01:36 AM
  # 463 (permalink)  

Thanks, Elke -- both services went well, though we had to relocate the choir again; at 1:00 they were in back pews with me up front, and we couldn't hear each other, sounded like they were a mile away. At 7:00 they sat closer; on Sunday they'll be in a different spot...talk about herding sheep, the poor things! They're used to it, we get shuffled around a lot when the pastor has Bright Ideas and needs room for drama and props; I sometimes think he should be directing high school musicals instead of preaching, but we love him anyway...

Anyone still have big Easter Dinners on Sunday? Seems that used to be a bigger affair in my family than it is now; supermarkets still put spiral hams on sale, so some people must still make a point of gathering around the table! And while I probably won't see any frilly bonnets on Sunday, we can always count on a few little girls showing off their new Easter outfits with sparkly shoes...

Oh, and I found this amusing: because Easter is also April Fool's day, someone saw a great idea to mess with the kiddies during an Easter Egg hunt: carefully remove the foil from the little chocolate eggs, and wrap them around grapes instead! Surprise, Ha Ha Ha! (Then duck when they throw them at you...)
Old 03-31-2018, 01:55 AM
  # 464 (permalink)  

Ooh I love dropping by to find some lovely chit-chat hurrah!
Great to see you're busy Arp - think of the money!
It's Saturday morning here and the girls have gone off with their dad until tomorrow morning. Easter over here tends to be mostly about the chocolate I'm afraid! I will be hiding little eggs around the house for Melly tonight. Was kind of hoping she'd be too old for and Easter egg hunt but alas no!
I am mot at work until Wednesday. The big thing on the horizon is that the girls are going to Tenerife with their dad on Wednesday for 10 days. So lots to do to get ready! I've still got Melly's old room to decorate so that should keep me busy while they are away. Of course I must stay vigilant to any naughty AV irritation. Them being away was always a huge excuse for a massive drinking binge. Ugh I am repulsed by the very idea to be honest.
Soooooo.....what to do today? Great isn't it having the freedom to choose instead of being a slave to that bloody poison. I think a bit of a tidy up, a food shop and.....wait for it.....I'm going to join the gym!!!!!! We have a great gym literally 2 minutes from my home and they do lots of classes (including yoga) and have 2 pools. It's pretty expensive (£40 a month) but I'm paying £7 a go for my yoga classes so 2 trips a week is enough to satisfy my scrooge mind that I'm getting my moneys worth. Or will I wimp out? I hope not it's about time I fully joined the land of the healthy.
Have a lovely day gang! Catch you later xxxxxxxxxxxx
Old 04-04-2018, 12:21 AM
  # 465 (permalink)  

Happy Post-Easter Wednesday, Mayflies! Today in 'Murrica it is National Chicken Cordon Bleu Day, and National Walking Day. I don't know what I'll be doing with that information, but I thought I would pass it along to all of you...

Easter services went well, my awesome choir sounded very awesome, and I enjoyed a lovely nap in the afternoon.

Today I learned that Tenerife is a Spanish island with the country's tallest mountain, and a whole lot of beaches. I am very jealous of Jo's two children, especially looking out at the six inches of new snow we acquired during the night. On the bright side, Jessie's turd garden looks a lot better under six inches of new snow...

That is all -- let's not drink today!
Arp
Old 04-04-2018, 12:52 AM
  # 466 (permalink)  

Morning Arp!
Just getting the girls ready to go. 10 days without them!!!!!
It's Hannah's 16th birthday today too. 16 wow! It just goes so fast I want to soak them up while I can. Thank God I'm sober and I mean that!
Going to be decorating and hitting the gym while they are away. Well..... in a gentle old-lady manner!
Back to be Arp it's far too early for you!
Have a great day and yes let's stay sober! I'm in! ❤❤❤
Old 04-04-2018, 01:14 AM
  # 467 (permalink)  

Haaahhahh, I know my timestamp betrays my bizarre sleep schedule on days off..."Hi, my name is Arp, and I'm a chronic napper!"

Hope the kid has a happy birthday and a great vacation, and hope you don't get all wonky because they're gone for 10 days. We know how you get! Just hang out here with us, we never go anywhere...xoxo
Old 04-04-2018, 01:17 AM
  # 468 (permalink)  

Haha yes you know me so well!
I shall be bothering you all for the entire time with my motherly woes!
And your response will be "get your paintbrush out and get on with it woman!"
Old 04-06-2018, 03:17 PM
  # 469 (permalink)  

Oh dear just wrote a whole lot and then lost it £$%&!

I'm too tired to write it again, sorry. I'll try again tomorrow. Hope you're all well.

Sending lots of Love
Old 04-08-2018, 02:59 AM
  # 470 (permalink)  

Good morning Mayflies!
Just waiting to set off home after a spur of the moment weekend away to the seaside!
It's been so lovely and I must admit much more relaxing without the girls (shame on me!). They're fine too thankfully the world of texting and Snapchat is alive and well in Tenerife!
Have a great sober Sunday gang I'll check in again tonight ❤❤❤
Old 04-10-2018, 05:24 PM
  # 471 (permalink)  

Interesting morning out with my dad today; he drove me 30 miles to my CT scan (they had me doped on antihistamine because of an allergy to IV contrast dye), and we had a nice breakfast out afterward. My sister across the state is in flux and depressed, her son is downstate drinking and drugging and indicating suicidal tendencies...my dad said, "You're the stable one right now!" I laughed hysterically at the irony. I was the one that gave them the gray hairs from worry while I was growing up: fast friends, drugs and partying, a parent's basic nightmare...now I'm the one that's stable!

He's proud of my sobriety, and has about as much tolerance for emotional hysteria as I do; I don't call my sister much because I never know if she'll be crying when she answers the phone. I can and usually do cheer her up with my stupid humor, but it takes something out of me...and when I recently learned of my nephew calling her drunk and semi-suicidal, I got pissed! I have little empathy for those who threaten to take their own lives; I think it's a cruel thing to do to people who love you.

But then, so was my drinking, I suppose. I don't know...sometimes I feel guilty for feeling okay with my life right now! Look at all the crazy drama going on with others; how come I get to be stable when they don't? Whatever...I'm just so angry with my nephew, feeling totally helpless to help him, knowing that intrusion into his life is not helpful, no more that it was for me when I was determined to drink myself to death. But I never told my mother I was ready to off myself, don't care how drunk I was...

Sorry to spew such ugly thoughts tonight; usually I'm the goofy comic relief guy, and I enjoy being him. But it does take its toll on me, when I don't know how to help people so close to me...because I just don't think you can truly help with that level of depression, or alcoholism, or drug addiction. Something has to come from within for them to get better...

Ugh, enough, goodnight my friends, and thanks for listening
Old 04-11-2018, 12:34 AM
  # 472 (permalink)  

Hey Arp!
I'm so pleased you've been for your scan. At least you'll soon know bottom line what shape you're in. It's a brave step and I know you won't blow your own trumpet so I shall. Proud of you!
Your poor sister what an horrendous situation. I can't imagine what she must be going through. Being the loved one of an addict must be a living hell at times. But I guess our own experience tells us that we have to do this thing for ourselves. I wonder if sowing the seed of Alanon or suchlike might be helpful?
I know I can only get so far involved with things before they mess with my head. Stir up memories and the guilt which are risky feelings. You're at your best as a son and a brother sober so that is priority no matter what.
Really should get out of bed it's 8.30! All is well here I'm getting messages from the girls which is great. They'll be home Friday hurrah!
Have a lovely sober day gang ❤❤❤
Old 04-12-2018, 11:22 AM
  # 473 (permalink)  

Well I made it through my 10 child-free days!!!! Well, they are back in the morning but given that I am tucked up in bed with my paperback and a cup of tea I'd say that was job done!
It has been very different his time. Having a bit of contact via texts has made a massive difference. But honestly, the truth of it is I've been a little too busy to pine for them! Cue guilt pang......
No I won't feel guilty scrub that. I've been to work, had a weekend away, painted that bloody bedroom at long last and been to the gym almost every day. Phew! That is 100% due to my sobriety. I have developed more get-up-and-go in the last month than perhaps ever in my adult life. Sure it's been a little terrifying. In fact I was convinced that if I attempted a proper work-out I'd have a heart attack then and there. I am happy to report I'm still alive and well hurrah!
So here I am. Last evening of peace and quiet and a nice glow of accomplishment which I believed were for other people not me. Yes okay the house could do with a really good clean but I'm simply too tired to care.
Night night dear friends
Old 04-12-2018, 12:08 PM
  # 474 (permalink)  

Such a happy post, joandmelandhan - well done, you!
Old 04-12-2018, 12:19 PM
  # 475 (permalink)  

Thank you Caramel!
Old 04-12-2018, 04:37 PM
  # 476 (permalink)  
Administrator

enjoy the weekend guys

D
Old 04-13-2018, 04:30 AM
  # 477 (permalink)  

I have the power to control the weather!

Every time I make an appointment to switch out my snow tires for my regular ones, the forecast calls for a few days of massive snow accumulation. When I call to cancel (which I've done twice now), the forecast improves! Amazing...

Another weekend; is this month disappearing at an alarming rate, or is it just me? Time flies when you're old, that's probably it...

I wonder if Jo has stopped hugging her children yet?

I wonder if Elke has finished birthing baby lambs yet?

So many questions; good sober weekend, dear Mayflies!
Arp
Old 04-13-2018, 06:36 AM
  # 478 (permalink)  

Happy Weekend everyone!

The lambs are still popping but we're over half way now, we've been blessed with a good week of dry weather and I'm very grateful for that.

Fingers crossed for the CT results Arp. I had an MRI of my neck done as I was suffering badly a few weeks ago. It took over 2 weeks to get the results back and I have to wait another 4 weeks for the doctor's appointment. UK Health Care! What a nice compliment for you 'being the stable one'

Oh Jo, your post is so very inspiring, well done sweetheart and keep going.

I've enrolled in an online training course to learn an Enterprise Software called SAP HANA. Live training once a week and the rest practise, practise. Strangely enough, I'm enjoying it lol. This will keep me busy until June and then I'll be overdue to go back to work.

Enjoy your weekends xxx
Old 04-18-2018, 01:33 AM
  # 479 (permalink)  

Calling all Mayflies; come in, Mayflies...

Too quiet around here, we'd dropped off the front page again, thought I'd better fix that.

I go see my GP today to hear all about my pickled pancreas. I did manage to give up sweets! All I had to do was finally put a battery in my glucometer and check my blood sugar...holy hell...numbers so scary high, I was consulting Dr. Google for advice. I was just below "seek medical treatment," just barely. This was Monday; I instantly purged my home of all things sugar, and re-familiarized myself with keto- and paleo- and started writing down carb intakes again, like I should have done all along...

She may insist on needle insulin, and I'll comply for awhile, but I'm very committed to a low carb lifestyle, which usually drops my weight pretty quickly, so it'll only be temporary; I scared myself straight, just like I did with vodka a year ago. I knew my eating style was insupportable long term, obviously, but I just had to push the limits! (I also finally put batteries in my bathroom scale...the first reading was "one at a time, please!" More motivation.)

Hope everyone is well; check in when you get a few minutes!
Old 04-18-2018, 01:42 AM
  # 480 (permalink)  

Do you have the HbA1c test, Arpeggioh?

("The HbA1c test measures your average blood glucose over the previous 8 to 12 weeks and gives an indication of your longer-term blood glucose control.")

Best wishes for your GP visit