Notices

Class of May 2016 Support Thread Part 11

Old 04-18-2018, 01:55 AM
  # 481 (permalink)  

Thanks, Caramel; I'm a bit apprehensive...

Yes, A1c is how I've usually "checked" my sugar, but only through blood draws every few months. It was on the rise, obviously; my last draw was three weeks ago, and I'll hear about those results today...that number will be a major factor for being told I need more than oral meds, which I'm fully prepared to hear. I won't argue with her, given the numbers I'm seeing on my meter. But I can certainly change my eating, and hope for improvement, which is the plan.
Old 04-19-2018, 08:16 PM
  # 482 (permalink)  

Doc is letting me have two months to prove I have my sugar addiction under control; I promised her much better numbers.

My CT scan came back "negative," which I took to mean good. When I asked, she said "no masses found on your pancreas or liver." Um, gross! If I'd known that's what they were looking for, I'd have been really freaked out!

I promise that's my last medical post, and I won't be sharing my daily carbohydrate intake here, I have a written journal for that. Just wanted to report my tumor-free status! Again, gross...

(Caramel: my A1c was 11.7 so she's doing me a favor not insisting on insulin injections. That's the number I promised improvement on.)

Okay, somebody else's turn to talk now,
Arp the Carb Hunter
Old 04-20-2018, 12:58 PM
  # 483 (permalink)  

Hi gang!
Sorry I managed to have a pretty bad week in the end and got a little down and insular. Nothing serious though. Just overwhelmed when the girls returned all loud and full-on and I overdid it at the gym and got sick. Plus I had an emotional meltdown aka volcanic eruption ditected at the bf so I've been licking my wounds a touch.
I forgot my limitations gang. I went in to this fitness lark at a million miles an hour and that really wasn't sensible. Still feeling out of sorts - the brain fog is back a bit. Maybe my brain has shut down a little after my outburst. It does that.
I'm best when I take measured baby steps as long as they are forward that has to be enough. It just felt so damn good doing things which I could have only dreamed of last year. I'm still trying. Going to tone down the gym a bit and keep up the healthier diet.
Arp sweetheart. I'm so pleased you've had the tests and got the proverbial kick up the butt you wanted. We addicts push these bad habits to the absolute limit before we do anything about it - kicking and screaming!
Have a great day and of course have a splendid sober day! ❤❤❤
Old 04-20-2018, 01:27 PM
  # 484 (permalink)  

You have a good doctor Arp, here in UK they pump you full of meds straight away. Best of luck with your low carb.

Jo, take it easy sweetheart. You're doing soooo well...enjoy the journey.

Does that mean the our little Mayfly group is sober and on the healthy living road??? That's amazing and very motivating.

Lambing is still going, hopefully next week we'll finish. I'm desperate for a lay-in.

Happy, sober weekends everyone X
Old 04-21-2018, 01:53 AM
  # 485 (permalink)  

I dread to think what time you're getting up on a morning right now Elke! At least the weather has perked up a bit! It must be very hard but very rewarding work. How is Lady Gaga doing?
My flipping toothache is back Ugh! I suspect the extraction I avoided a while back is going to have to happen. 20 years of boozing and smoking (and questionable self care) had to result in something falling off so if it's dental issues I guess I'm lucky in the grand scheme of things. Oh but the pain! Ibuprofen it is until Monday and back to the dentist.
I hope everyone has a peaceful and sober weekend. Healthy too hurrah! Lots of love ❤❤❤
Old 04-21-2018, 04:40 AM
  # 486 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope you can turn things around ARP. Sorry about the tooth Jo

Hi Elke and Caramel

D
Old 04-22-2018, 01:43 PM
  # 487 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear about the tooth ache Jo. Hopefully the dentist can save the tooth. Fingers crossed.

The alarm goes off at 5am, quick cuppa in bed and then out for the first round. I love it. I'm a Midwife for sheep! I bottle fed a pair of twins for 2 days and then we found a sheep that had lost her lamb. So with the help of Lamb Adoption Spray (smells like musk, reminds me a bit of Fenjala. Anyone old enough to remember that ha ha) we matched the ewe with the twins. Magic!

How are you getting on Arp? I picture you clearing your cupboards of any sugary junk food. You can do it Arp

Have a good start of the week everyone X
Old 04-24-2018, 03:30 AM
  # 488 (permalink)  

I know I promised no more medical posts, but I'm just so excited that I have to share --

One week, zero processed sugar, well under 100 carbs a day, and I feel soooo much better! My glucose numbers are beautiful, and I've lost 8 pounds already (3.6 kg)!!

I feel like I'm on the One Year Plan: last Spring I quit alcohol; this Spring I quit sugar; next Spring I'll work on smoking; after that, maybe cure cancer and broker world peace...

And I eat a little bit of bacon every single day; what's not to love? Just glad Elke doesn't raise baby pigs, or I might feel bad for a minute.

Love to Lady Gaga, and hope the dentist was kind,
Arp
Old 04-24-2018, 02:41 PM
  # 489 (permalink)  

Hey Arp that is bloody fantastic!!!!!!!
I'm sooooooo happy for you! Doesn't sound like too scary a plan does it? Give up 1 deadly habit a year?
Your doctor is going to be utterly shocked next time you go for a check-up I bet.
Well I have a scary dental dilemma (in my wimps world anyway). Either 2 back teeth out or 1 back tooth and root canal work on the other to eliminate the pain. I'm opting for 1 out and root canal work. I figure I should try and save one tooth (can't put em back in if I change my mind!) even though the cost is much higher for this option (about £300 eek!).
I'm going in next Wednesday to have it done and quite frankly I'm pretty terrified! 2 bloody hours it'll take!!!!
So that kids is why we shouldn't drink or smoke! Of course it could be so much worse so I'm going to have to borrow a pair of big girls pants on the day!
You have been warned - I will be coming by here for some sympathy at regular intervals!
Night night gang ❤❤❤
Old 04-24-2018, 06:08 PM
  # 490 (permalink)  
Administrator

Personally I think thats a good choice Jo.

I had several root canals after I got sober - no real pain to speak of and no problems except once when it got infected - don't play with dogs LOL

that wasn't fun but the dentist fixed it right away

D
Old 04-24-2018, 11:13 PM
  # 491 (permalink)  

Jo - as you have some forewarning of next Wednesday's challenge, can some plans be made, e.g.
meals and easy foods prepared in advance;
comforting and nurturing things for you;
some medium-term treats to think about (travel, theatre, picnic, visit a fair/exhibition/scenic area/local park, whatever a treat is for you) - sometime in May.

Make it as easy for yourself as you can. Well done thus far
Old 04-25-2018, 02:23 PM
  # 492 (permalink)  

That's a really good idea Caramel how lovely of you to suggest it! ❤❤❤
Yes I do need to make sure I've got the day planned in case I'm feeling rough afterwards. Luckily my new diet plan has forced me to learn how to cook (lol) so I'll put something in the slow cooker for everyone else and think about what I might manage (yoghurt, bananas and other soft things). Yes and why not plan a little treat too once I'm better?
Ooh Caramel you are a honey! ❤❤❤
Old 04-25-2018, 02:24 PM
  # 493 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Personally I think thats a good choice Jo.

I had several root canals after I got sober - no real pain to speak of and no problems except once when it got infected - don't play with dogs LOL

that wasn't fun but the dentist fixed it right away

D
Thank you Dee I feel reassured!
Old 04-25-2018, 04:13 PM
  # 494 (permalink)  
Administrator

good luck Jo!

D
Old 04-26-2018, 12:10 PM
  # 495 (permalink)  

Well done Arp, I'm sooooo pleased for you!

Jo, you'll be fine, I'm sure of it. Root canal is not as bad as it sounds, only for the purse unfortunately.

Nothing much new here, the lambs are still coming....
Old 04-26-2018, 12:33 PM
  # 496 (permalink)  

Jo - there are some elegant dishes one can have -

broths and soups,
jellied foods savoury or sweet,
creamed fish or chicken or cheese recipes,
souffles,
baked apples without the skin,
tasty mashed potatoes, or carrot-and-parsnip;
omelets, custards, and other egg dishes -

I have quite a collection of simple go-to recipes for times when I need to do a bit less chewing or simply to have more "light" foods.

It's a nice way to do gentle self-care.
Old 04-26-2018, 12:56 PM
  # 497 (permalink)  

Elke awwww lambs how cute!!!!
I hope you have a holiday planned for when it quietens down sweetheart xxx
Caramel ooohhh souffles!!!!! That sounds like something to have a go at!
Hannah had her first actual GCSE today (French oral) - 27 more to go! Can you believe that? She has exams until 15th June! It's such an important time thank God I'm sober- I keep saying that to myself quite a lot these days but it's so true!
Hope the quest for sugar-freedom is going well Arp!
Take care gang and lots of love xxx
Old 04-28-2018, 05:11 AM
  # 498 (permalink)  
Administrator

Time for a new thread guys
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...part-12-a.html (Class of May 2016 Support Thread Part 12)

D