Notices

Class of May 2016 Support Thread Part 11

Old 03-17-2018, 12:07 AM
  # 441 (permalink)  

So, today we celebrate that fateful day long ago when Saint Patrick stumbled out of the pub, saw his shadow, and went back inside, so now it's almost Irish Spring...or something. And so we drink green things in remembrance; acceptable SR green things may include green tea, green kale smoothies...hmm...avoid green beer, an American favorite; and I'd stay away from green milk, as well, but that's just me.

Speaking of Spring: current temperature at 2:59 a.m. in downtown Caribou Falls (a pretend name) is a balmy -7 C (a real temp.) They say it will make it to 0 today; I remain unconvinced as I huddle beneath my lap blanket...

Today I'm buying myself a massage! I'm not sure I've ever had a proper, professional one of those, so it seemed high time I did.

I'm still waiting for my "pancreas scan" to be scheduled...as I fuss and worry and make impatient phone calls, it occurs to me that I'm waiting for an expensive medical test to tell me that I should lay off the sweets [smacks self in head.] I'll show them: I'll change my diet before they look at my innards! Especially since I've totally blown off the smoking cessation plans for today...the least I can do is quit the sugar.

Blah, blah, same old song and dance! A happy and healthy weekend to anyone reading
Old 03-17-2018, 12:23 AM
  # 442 (permalink)  

OMG Dee:

Your repost this morning of "Kilkelly" was a right proper antidote to my smartass entry above. It brought me to tears, and reminded me of my woeful ignorance of history. Thanks, dude...
Old 03-18-2018, 03:23 AM
  # 443 (permalink)  

Morning!
Yesterday the volcano of resentful angry Mount Jojo blew yesterday. It blew big. I won't bore you with why (selfish unhelpful kids and bf et etc) but my god I was utterly out of control. I craved an "out" with an intensity it was awful.
The good news is I didn't drink.
The bad news is I'm in this Grounhog Day thing where the same thing sets me off again and again.
Will it end up on a drink one day?
Will I ever learn how to cope when I can't control others?
Why is adulting so hard?
Ugh!
Snowed in today again. I'm going to enjoy my girls. They're a great antidote to everything.
Have a lovely day ❤❤❤❤❤❤
Old 03-18-2018, 05:00 AM
  # 444 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry things are tough right now Jo - I think the more we deal with things, the better we get at it?

D
Old 03-19-2018, 01:16 AM
  # 445 (permalink)  

Thank you Dee!
That's the hope. That staying true to my sobriety and living life on life's terms will allow me to develop coping mechanisms.
I am very much work-in-progress!
Old 03-24-2018, 05:30 AM
  # 446 (permalink)  

Nothing to say...I just wanted to bump our quiet little thread out of the dusty basement where it's been languishing for five days. We're all just so damned well-adjusted and content, we have no need for cyber therapy! Bully for us!

Happy Sober Saturday
Old 03-24-2018, 11:37 AM
  # 447 (permalink)  

I hope everything's alright with the May 2016 people
Old 03-24-2018, 02:35 PM
  # 448 (permalink)  

Hey gang!
Just settling in for a little browse of SR before I turn in for the night. Yes we're quiet again. I have messaged Elke a few times now but alas no reply. Lots of love to you Elke darling and anyone else who may be just popping by for a little lurk......Sim, Ben, Tootesdad, CountryGal, Lonelywombat, Eagle.... I just hope you are all safe and well
Gosh life is busy right now! It comes in waves but right now we are at the crest of a big one! Easter break starts in a few days and the girls are going on holiday with their dad on 4th April which is also Hannah's 16th birthday. 16!!!!!!!!!!! Eek! She is also studying for her GCSEs which start mid May so we have a lot of things on. I've just been out and bought all of the things she needs for her food exam on Tuesday. The theme is Mediterranean food and she has to cook 3 dishes so it is going to be:
Spanish omelette with a Greek salad and home made dressing
Greek chicken kebabs with lemon and pomegranate cous cous
Almond and lemon cheesecake
Sounds yummy yes?
She is starting to blossom into a wonderful young lady. I can see it before my very eyes. Of course it is all tinged with a little sadness (if I am being brutally honest) because I can see how independent she is becoming and the day will come when she leaves the nest. So I have to grab every moment she wants to spend with me. They are rare of course - she is a teenager!
We are off out tomorrow to go......gulp...... PROM DRESS SHOPPING!!!!!! Yes you pesky Americans have brought another very expensive tradition across the Atlantic! I will need to have a talk with myself before we go. Stay calm and it's her decision!
Goodnight Mayflies and have a lovely weekend. I shall report back on the shopping tomorrow when I am back xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old 03-25-2018, 03:06 PM
  # 449 (permalink)  

Hello Mayflies, sorry for my AWL. I was a bit down in the dumps and had to sort myself out. The good news is that I'm still sober and I'm feeling a lot better too.

Thanks for getting in touch Jo, that's so sweet of you! I missed your big 6 months anniversary so belated Congrats to you sweetheart.

Arp, I thought of you on St Patrick's day, Congrats to 1 year.

We've just started lambing here and it's tough already.

Have a good and sober Monday everyone. It's great to be back!
Old 03-25-2018, 03:23 PM
  # 450 (permalink)  

Hooray, you're not dead! I always think people are dead. But you're not!

I've read a few novels set on farms, and learned that lambing is a big farking deal. Good luck to you and your odd husband in this difficult time of birthing.

So glad you're not dead,
Arp
Old 03-25-2018, 05:10 PM
  # 451 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back Elke

D
Old 03-26-2018, 03:06 AM
  # 452 (permalink)  

Hurrah!!!!!
Welcome home Elke!!!!!!
Our full herd of yoga cows are together again!!!!!
Old 03-26-2018, 03:23 AM
  # 453 (permalink)  

Hahahaha, I was just looking at my calendar and thinking the same thing, but left out "herd." Good one!

Happy Monday
Old 03-26-2018, 02:30 PM
  # 454 (permalink)  

Thanks guys, yes I'm still alive

Lambing can be quite tough but I like it. I'm taking a few pics as we go along and will try to post them here.

Have a good and sober Tuesday and don't over do it with the yoga :-)
Old 03-26-2018, 02:40 PM
  # 455 (permalink)  

Elke my yoga instructor emigrated!!! My real life one that is lol!
I was devastated but am trying out new places. Funny how you get used to the comfort of the familiar.....
I hope you're spared more snow over the Easter weekend. I bet you've had some bleak days over there.
Today has been a good day. Feels great saying that! Work clients paid up, I lost another pound at my weigh-in, Hannah is nicely ready for her cooking exam, I called the bank to rearrange my mortgage, my mum-in-law came round for a coffee and managed to get my ex to help out with the cost of Hannah's prom. Phew! I'm glad it's bed time now!
It's amazing how being a tiny bit brave and making that scary phone call or asking for help etc really does work. My colleagues are getting used to me chuntering to myself about "feel the fear and do it anyway". They think I'm a little mad anyway so get used to my little ways!
Sleep well Mayflies and let's stay on this sober journey together
Old 03-26-2018, 08:12 PM
  # 456 (permalink)  

Elke - wishing you kind weather and good grass-growth for the ewes and lambs. Love watching the growing lambs form little groups and race up and down for the joy of it
Old 03-27-2018, 10:20 AM
  # 457 (permalink)  

Caramel!
Old 03-27-2018, 10:23 AM
  # 458 (permalink)  

I've hit the wall today. Utterly shattered! As luck would have it the girls are at their dads tonight and other half off to work. House to myself - bliss!!!!!!!!!Weird to think I'd be speeding down to the wine shop for an extra big stash on nights like this before. Ugh! I couldn't think of anything worse!
So a very quiet night, bit of meditation and a pamper. That will do me nicely. Take care gang
Old 03-27-2018, 02:41 PM
  # 459 (permalink)  

Thank you Caramel and Jo for your wishes. Yes we do need the grass to grow and the snow to stay away. It hasn't been too bad this week.
We managed to find a new mum for the orphan lamb. This is quite an interesting process to get the ewe to accept the lamb. It's done with 'Lamb Adoption Spray' which has a very strong Musk smell. You spray the lamb and spray up the ewe's nose and fingers crossed the ewe likes the lamb.
I'm a big softy when it comes to the lambs...it's after 10pm, I'm in bed but I'm worrying how the lamb is getting on with the new mum. They're probably both sleeping ha ha.

Jo, I hope you had a nice chill out evening and feeling good again

Sober Wednesday for all of us xxx
Old 03-29-2018, 02:22 PM
  # 460 (permalink)  

Aw, now I want a baby lamb for Easter! Can you get one that doesn't poop? I'd like my next pet to not poop. The melting snow has laid bare a startling display of Jessie's winter "activities," and it's freaking me out...

Again with the Easter; do they celebrate Easter in the foreign lands where you all live? I'm kidding...Easter is tougher on church musicians than Christmas, I swear, or at least a comparable level of stress. Good Friday 1pm, Good Friday 7pm, Sunday 7:30am, Sunday 10am...me at home around 1pm: zzzzzzz...

But they pay me well, I have no complaints. I mean, I still complain, I just don't really mean it. Just grumpy old man noise. And there's a killer breakfast in the basement between Sunday services! Will work for sausages and eggs...

So Happy Easter weekend, Mayflies! Post photos of yourself in your Easter bonnets, please.