Notices

Class of September 2017 Support Thread Part 2

Old 09-26-2017, 09:05 AM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Thanks, Dee.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:55 AM
  # 322 (permalink)  

great job on getting through the day Stronger. Don't you find that each day you fight the cravings you feel just that little bit Stronger? (no pun intended!!)

Thanks Badger. Hope it helps.

Glad you got through the weekend Wick.

Good to hear you're feelin a bit better Juno

hey Badge - you know me better than anyone and our stories are very similar. It's comforting to share with you from years ago as well as in this new group

Glad you had a good lunch Thomas - enjoy the nap!

That's a lovely thing to do with the candles Viper, thank you.

Busy day at work then home and did 2 hours on my extra job, then baked for school cake sale tomorrow, then made fish pie, now on SR. going for a jacuzzi and and relax have a great day/evening all xx
Old 09-26-2017, 01:21 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Quiet round here this evening, hope everyone is doing ok.

Think I might go to bed and read. Night everyone
Old 09-26-2017, 02:03 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Hi All,

Day 11 here for me. I am terrible with names, but some of the posts from the past 24 hours have helped me immensely! So much so that the fleeting notion that I can once again try to "moderate" was quickly squashed. Each time I have tried to moderate over the past couple of years, it has ended up worse than each time before: either a blackout or a 36 hour hangover. Yuck!

Renvate - your question about the breakup. I initially thought it ended amicably, but I have had a few texts in the past 24 hours that make me think ... eh, maybe not so much. I am trying to maintain the "no contact" rule for now, as I think it's best while all this is still raw. That said, I have responded cordially to the texts, but am beginning to realize I am just perpetuating things if I do. It's very hard to try to ignore them.

I belong to a Fitness Center that I rarely used (because I would rather have been sitting on my porch sipping a wine), so I went to a Yoga class last night and am trying my hand at a "Spinning" class shortly. I can't recall the last time I rode a bike for any length of time, maybe when I had training wheels, so riding one in the dark with all kinds of colored lights and rock music will be interesting. I am told it is*only* 30 minutes of "high intensity", but I think 30 seconds of this high intensity stuff could well wear me out. It will be fun to try and at least I will have another story to tell.

Hope all have a great evening.

LHW
Old 09-26-2017, 02:46 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Hi guys. I worked today (not at home) and am now getting ready to go and babysit for a couple hours. Day 3 here. I'm sure I'll be nice and tired by the time I get home.

LHW, I'm ridiculously out of shape. I've been walking more lately, and have plans to join a local gym soon. I'll be honest, a huge reason for staying away from alcohol has been that it's made me freaking FAT. I put on like 25 lbs in the past 2.5 years of drinking. I'll be super excited to see it go, and I'm really hoping it does!!
Old 09-26-2017, 03:01 PM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Hey everyone, just checking in on day 25. I'm actually feeling pretty decent. I've been doing lots of deep work- counseling, connecting on here, I actually got an AA sponsor and met with her today, I joined another group of women online (not sobriety related but definitely spiritual/self-improvement related) and a lot of them just happen to be sober. I'm not going to say things have been easy, I've had some REALLY hard days, but they're not anything like the ups and downs of drinking.

I love the analogy of thinking of when the AV starts up thinking of it like an ex calling for a booty call!! That's so perfect

General- I'm so sorry for the emotions you're feeling right now. I got sober in 2011 until 2014. Since 2014 I've been on a roller coaster of relapses and gaining 30 days, 60 days, 90 days, 11 months at one time, and I would always drink again. It really took until this past time for me to get it- I would rather die than pick up a drink again.

I'm sorry I can't remember well enough to respond to everyone individually. You all really do help me SO much every single day. Thank you for being so open and sharing your experiences with us.

<3
Old 09-26-2017, 03:02 PM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Thanks for the comments RAL. Yesterday was pretty bad. I got into an argument with someone I really shouldn't havei. It wasn't pretty and it certainly wasn't the first time I've done stuff like that. There's a pattern to my thinking (and actions!) that really needs to be broken. It's so important for my peace of mind.

One concerning thing I did notice yesterday was that I couldn't reach out to SR when I felt like drinking. I tried but I was embarrassed 😩. Fortunately I had responsibilities (so close to getting myself out of them!) and something else I could do. It's important that if I don't make that same mistake again. I have to at least check in to the forum at least.
Old 09-26-2017, 03:03 PM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Hi, I just seriously cleaned myself up ‘literally.’ Buzzed my head clean, and other much needed manscaping, 20 minute hot shower, shave, my hydro moisturizer, clean clothes. Ahhhhhh. My huge salad is already made. I’m searing up a turkey burger to eat on it’s own, with the salad.

Btw if anyone needs diet advice I’m an expert. It’s no secret, no tricks. You don’t need a book or recipes. But you need to sacrifice.

Spinning class! The last time I tried that I almost died. Wow. It’s brutal. I used to be able to start working out and ramp up fast. I don’t ramp up too fast anymore. I’ve got to get back in there.

I’ve been looking for a winter spot though. I hate winter and want up go somewhere warm. Puerto Rico WAS the plan.

Later on,

Viper
Old 09-26-2017, 03:04 PM
  # 329 (permalink)  

That's some really positive moves hns😀
Old 09-26-2017, 03:08 PM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Stronger why would you be embarrassed? We’re all the same. It’s a bunch of drunks for God’s sake . That’s what we’re here for. Reach out before drinking please.

When I get it in my mind that I am really going to drink, I ignore all tools to get through it. Not cool.

Viper
Old 09-26-2017, 03:44 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Thanks Viper😀 I have to use everything available to stop me drinking. I'll refer back to these posts next time I see danger - and as RAL suggested the cravings can get more intense once a bit of time has passed between bad drunks. Cheers again.
Old 09-26-2017, 03:52 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Hi all! Long day. I continue to have issues with a lady at work. She is my direct report and treats me like crap and I've let her! But now I'm not letting her anymore and it's causing trouble. I turn it over to my HP hundreds of times a day. It's an obsession thinking about it.
But, at least I'm trying.
I had just a moment of wanting to drink tonight. Really very small. I'm so grateful that hasn't been a problem this time. Not that it may not sneak up on me, but for today I'm loving drinking juice and feeling good.
Got to walk the dog. Happy sober night to all!
Old 09-26-2017, 04:45 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Checking in ~ Day 12 I think.....It's good to see everyone's posts. Thanks for helping me stay sober today!
Old 09-26-2017, 05:24 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Hey everyone. Checking in. Very frustrated. Apartment hunting all day. Back at it tomorrow.

What’s adding to the frustration is my jumbled mind, which I attribute to early sobriety (maybe?). I can’t seem to make a decision and stick to it. One minute I’m ready to move down here and the next minute I think it may not be right. I seem to question my judgement. Should I try a different town? Should I wait 6 mos- year to move? Should I just take the risk and go for it? Is moving too expensive right now?I’m not working at the moment so there’s some flexibility.

All my thoughts just seem to be jumbled. Years of drinking I guess? I’m frustrated. Can’t deny getting drunk right now would be my go-to in the past. It’s an interested revelation - when drinking I just make a decision and go with it. I take risks. The alcohol numbs the effects!

Sober I question and over analyze everything! I tend to play it safer. Go figure!

Anyway, just venting. Not gonna drink. I’m just questioning whether I should make any big moves. Might make a new separate post.

Anyway, I did manage to catch up and read everyone’s posts. Definitely keeps me going. Thanks everyone
Old 09-26-2017, 05:54 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  
Administrator

I understand if folks feel self conscious and want to talk privately but I wanted to reassure everyone you can talk about your recovery here without having to go to PM

we're all on the same journey

D
Old 09-26-2017, 06:17 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Hey Everyone. Just wanted to check in. It’s actually been a few days since I looked at the forum. I’m not sure why but just been in a funk and didn’t even want to do anything. Tomorrow I will celebrate 30 days without having had a drop of alcohol. I’m truly happy about that but the past weekend and week so far I’ve felt so drained and tired. I can’t sleep at night all of the sudden and just have no energy and so tired at work. That of course has led me to so many and such strong cravings to find that temporary release and relief. I haven’t given in but it has taken so much strength not to. I decided to share in a meeting tonight about all of it and almost broke down crying. It’s for me the most emotional I’ve felt since starting this program and honestly it helped a lot. Had a lot of guys come up after the meeting and talk to me and reiterating it is perfectly normal to feel this way and just say hey early sobriety really does suck sometimes but it gets better. I’m feeling a lot better and going through all the posts from y’all right now I missed. I hope everyone is having a good week and I’ll stay strong right there with all of you!
Old 09-26-2017, 08:15 PM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Day 22 ending.
I have to say that I've never felt like this about my heavy alcohol problem of over a dozen years. Not that I feel great, I don't for the majority of the time and mostly about things beyond my control or if they are within reach, it's a struggle. But back to maintaining this sobriety, although it's still in the early stages, it has been relatively easy and the desire just isn't there as much anymore.
All the times before i tried, I couldn't imagine quitting for good or would be amazed at others without an alcohol problem on how they do it or manage. I would be miserable without this "outlet" or "escape."
Now, it's not any more fun or great tbh but the need for it is not there like it used to be. Just hope it lasts because no matter what happened or happens, alcohol for me is not the answer because I can't stop or moderate my drinking once I start.
Not really trying to eat much better but I should cuz now this is bothering me and making me feel like crap. It's a different kind of crap but still crappy.
Congrats to all on your journey and stay strong no matter the struggles.
Old 09-26-2017, 10:49 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Nearing the end of day 29 - feeling thankful it's been relatively smooth sailing so far. I relate to all of the stories of work and life stress and although I haven't personally responded to everyone, I want you to know how much I appreciate coming here and reading your stories. It hits me in the heart. We're not alone in this!

Doing a good job of keeping myself busy and active still and I'm going to enjoy it while I lasts and make sure I have good tools for when things get tougher.

You all inspire me!!!!
Old 09-27-2017, 12:20 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Third day thoughts...

Originally Posted by Wick View Post
Hello all, I am on my third morning just wanted to introduce myself into the group. SR has been great and I hope with continued posts and others support I can do this, this time. Happy Monday!
Hi Wick
Third day just starting for me too. I kind of feel like "yes I have this I can do it".... yet earlier when I was out for a cycle I felt scared. My sobriety was just a flimsy thing open to so much influence and the fear has triggered me to return here and protect it with the valuable support I find here. Having read and recognised some of the relapse stories, makes me more determined and also aware of the work a head for me, day by day. Keep up the good work!
Old 09-27-2017, 12:40 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Morning all

Congrats on 30 days DF and tomorrow for you 60ab. Congrats to everyone on their milestones whether day 1 or 31.

Glad it helped stronger

sober369-hope you get your work situation sorted out. I had an awful boss once and let her treat me badly. when I stood up and stopped putting up with it things did change. Companies really can't risk bullying and treating staff badly nowadays. stand firm and stay calm. good on you for dealing with this.

Gotta rush. At work now. have a good day all,x