Notices

Class of February 2017 Support Thread Part 6

Old 08-21-2017, 07:41 PM
  # 181 (permalink)  

Sober again tonight. Had to miss the first half of group tonight but still went. So happy to be there.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:43 AM
  # 182 (permalink)  

No group tonight. I will go to the same AA I went to last week but I am questioning whether that meeting will be in my long term plans. It was nice, and a member of my treatment group brought me to it, but the guy he connected me with really threw me off. Asking me about cheating on or beating my wife, almost like he was hoping for some juicy details. I'll give it another week - we talked about wisdom in treatment last night and I shared thoughts on not judging people or situations, not always assuming I know everything, and being open to perceive things in a positive light.

After spending so much time in treatment with folks recovering from opiates, I am actually curious if I could check out an NA meeting. Maybe I will identify more there? It's still 12 steps, abstinence, discussion, etc. and it's often younger folks.

Any thoughts? Or should I just do it? Or should I ask at group tomorrow?

Again, I am so happy to be in treatment, in recovery, and sober. Above all else.
Old 08-22-2017, 02:59 PM
  # 183 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't see any harm in trying an NA meeting Axe

D
Old 08-22-2017, 06:30 PM
  # 184 (permalink)  

According to my app, I've saved over $2,000 by not drinking. My life is definitely richer now, but I still don't feel $2,000 wealthier. I guess it speaks to the general state of my finances then.

Anyhow, that's all I got. Take care Februarians!
Old 08-22-2017, 07:34 PM
  # 185 (permalink)  

I am hoping I start to see the financial side of it too. I spent between $35-50 a night drinking. Expensive tastes for a horrible vice. That's sometimes how I justified that I wasn't too bad - I don't just drink cheap beer or liquor.

But, alcohol is alcohol and drunk is drunk. I am not drunk, and I am happier than I have been in a long time. 17 days sober.
Old 08-23-2017, 10:18 AM
  # 186 (permalink)  

Hi, just checking in. Day 38. I'm struggling with health stuff but not without hope and options. I'm just lying around. I'm at my sister's place alone. It's nice here. I should be making calls. Usually I'll come out if this within a couple of days and get some stuff done. Then I have to continue to live on vegetables and meats and nothing else. That's until I clear some issues. I called the life coach yesterday and got some good advice when I was feeling hopeless.

Yesterday I said 'screw it. I'm gong to drink. I feel awful no matter what.' Then I started thinking of detoxing all over again and my family that is helping me and that was the end of it. I turned the car around and starting thinking about coming back to see the dog. Came back and that was that. It seems like my AV attacks last about 10 minutes which isn't even long enough time to a bar before the rational side takes it down. Detox again??? Oooffff. I don't want to drink anymore. I just want to get out of my own skin. That's what I crave. But nothing except another drug is going to do that unless it's exercise or something. I have access to plenty of Medical Marijuana in the neighborhood, and I'm not touching that stuff. Noooooo way.

My Location and house are paradise, I wish I was feeling good enough to enjoy it. But I'm better than many and should improve.

Check in later, Viper.
Old 08-23-2017, 06:50 PM
  # 187 (permalink)  

Stick with us Vipe. Please.
Old 08-23-2017, 07:15 PM
  # 188 (permalink)  

Ex-Drinker Buys Maserati with "Spare Change" -Viperidae

It doesn't doesn't seem like I'm saving much either. I think I'm using it on other things. My grocery bills add up. Better that it's all kinds of fresh veggies and meats at Whole Foods than on booze.

I had another AV battle today.

I'm here with the dog. He's lying on his foam bed. I think he wanted to sleep outside. It's very nice out. I rousted him out of his spot. He can't stand up to the huge coyotes we have anymore. It's the hybrid wolf/dog/coyote. They're big and nasty. With small dogs you hear a yelp and find torn pieces of fur, but the coyotes fear a large dog. This dog tried everything he could to get at a bear outside the house. We only knew about the bear when the dog went crazy. He turned into a vicious beast.

Alright getting ready for bed soon. Tomorrow I'll get up and attack the day!!

Vipe
Old 08-23-2017, 07:36 PM
  # 189 (permalink)  

I just got an ad for New Amsterdam (I think) vodka. The tag line was "Pour your soul out." Haha, if they only knew.

I have chosen to keep my soul. I'm not pouring their product into my body and letting it displace my soul. No more.

18 days sober.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:52 PM
  # 190 (permalink)  

Ax, I think New Amsterdam and other beverage companies know how much alcohol is bad for people. They just don't admit it because of the money involved.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:59 PM
  # 191 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by axeman5971 View Post
I just got an ad for New Amsterdam (I think) vodka. The tag line was "Pour your soul out." Haha, if they only knew.
That's brilliant. Somewhere, a sober copy writer is still in disbelief that they went for it

Vipe, excellent going with managing the crave. 38 days isn't just some little thing!
Old 08-24-2017, 04:07 AM
  # 192 (permalink)  

Haha! New Amsterdam... Pour Your Soul Out!!! What idiots. Man I know I put down a lot of things... and people, but the idiocy out there. I went to high school with a guy that is now Senior Copywriter at the biggest ad firm in CT. He's got the massive New England brick house (not his wife ), all the toys and sweet vehicles. Dude must be raking in $300,000 at least. Here's the thing. He's just showing up. He looks great in a suit. Yes he has to manage a lot of things, TV shoots, etc etc, but when it comes to real creativity, it's just a desert full of skeletons for him. And poorly drawn ones at that. He wanted to be an 'ad man,' went to school, had a connection and got an entry job at the same company. Show up for 20 years and you're big time. More power to him, and truly a nice guy. Plus no shortage of brains.

I don't like Connecticut all that much, but if you want to get rich, you can. All of the other rich people make it possible. Right now the thing is services. If you can provide a decent service, you start your own thing, and make a ton.

I'm just bitter because I was sick in bed at 19 and have creativity flowing out of me like hot magna. True story, when I hang out with that ad guy he's blown away. A talent I'll get to use someday.

Woke up at 6. I'm not feeling like attacking the day, but looking at books to help me and making calls are doable. Plus eating right.

Vipe
Old 08-24-2017, 06:47 AM
  # 193 (permalink)  

just realized as I woke in a cold sweat that when I stopped drinking I cut my Prozac. Then I took less and less and got more and more exhausted (I'm totally dependent on it), plus my digestion stops working. I took it this morning. I'm looking for a huge improvement by 7 days. I'm 90% sure this is a big part of the problem.its easy to lose track and I've done it many times. Prozac withdrawal is the worst.

Viper
Old 08-24-2017, 10:07 AM
  # 194 (permalink)  

I feel you Vipe. During my flooding repair my morning routine is off and I've accidentally skipped my blood pressure and anti depressants multiple times. I'll notice it real bad some days.

But, we are almost done!
Old 08-24-2017, 11:03 AM
  # 195 (permalink)  

Yes this antidepressant thing has happened dozens of times. I randomly took it for months and then suddenly realized I was down to 1 to 2 days a week instead of every day. Hopefully this pulls me out of the gutter to treat the other stuff. One of the antidepressants is fast acting and already kicked in.

This is why journaling everything is paramount for me!!!!

Anyway I only came in here to check how many days I've got. 39???? Not bad.

V
Old 08-24-2017, 08:28 PM
  # 196 (permalink)  

39 is awesome!!! I am on 18 which is definitely a record for the past 2 years for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were even 10. I didn't try quitting years ago so it's likely I had least had one weekend night weekly or bi-weekly back then. I am so proud.

Also, I got the go ahead to try NA meetings too from some guys recovering nfrom opiates in my group. They said I should intro just as "addict" out of respect, but that it's fine if my sharing is only about alcohol.

My goal for this week is 3 non-treatment meetings by Thursday, which just means adding one new one. Doable for sure.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:07 PM
  # 197 (permalink)  

Axe you're doing all of the right things. A lot of the meeting folks say to hit it hard (like you are) for a year and you can maintain it. Honestly a year will fly by. I wish I'd done it at 37.

I took some of the steroids they gave me today. I managed to get into one of the books on diet I'm supposed be using, did laundry, took an awesome shower. Plus I had to clean up a little because the cleaning people come on Fridays and do the floors, bathrooms, counters, vacuuming, wiping everything down in the whole house. There can't be stuff lying around. #mustbebleepingnice

I was surprised for some reason that The Microbiome book is kind if the system I've been looking for.

Ok, I'm in bed.

Tomorrow is 40.

Vipe
Old 08-24-2017, 09:11 PM
  # 198 (permalink)  
Administrator

All you guys seem to be going well

D
Old 08-25-2017, 10:54 AM
  # 199 (permalink)  

Just took 6 months for that February class to kick in, haha.

I had my first wobbly thought that weren't 100% sobriety last night. Right after group, too. Still in the parking lot. They went away but that's me leaving the pink cloud a bit. Time to step up how serious I am.
Old 08-25-2017, 04:33 PM
  # 200 (permalink)  
Administrator

Lots of people still have wobbly thoughts Axe - I had them for a year or so, gradually fading in intensity ...

it's what we do with them that counts - *that's* recovery

D