Notices

Class of February 2017 Support Thread Part 6

Old 08-11-2017, 02:17 PM
  # 121 (permalink)  

G'day people.
I still read along here....trying to get myself restarted, up to the starting gate again. Not quite there yet, obviously. Found it very hard to settle or focus this week. Just have to start some small thing I guess....
Old 08-11-2017, 03:58 PM
  # 122 (permalink)  

Oh, yeah I wouldn't volunteer to help users until I was done with primary treatment.
Old 08-12-2017, 05:54 AM
  # 123 (permalink)  

Oh man, I woke up before my wife on a Saturday morning! This might be a first for quite a few years. I am going to go get her breakfast and coffee!!!!
Old 08-12-2017, 06:04 AM
  # 124 (permalink)  

Congrats Ax. You are starting to see why some people call it "the gift of sobriety" . Keep up the good work!
Old 08-12-2017, 03:14 PM
  # 125 (permalink)  

Feels good. Now I have to start being more active!
Old 08-13-2017, 07:04 AM
  # 126 (permalink)  

I did it. My first full week sober in two years.
Old 08-13-2017, 11:12 AM
  # 127 (permalink)  

Another week is coming my way! Plus I just got a new nephew today. I am so committed to this new journey!
Old 08-13-2017, 02:16 PM
  # 128 (permalink)  

Yep, "Get busy livin' or get busy dyin'. Godamn right." - Shawshank Redemption

Axe, I can't tell you how impressed I am with this effort. Good for you! It may be a little early to start 'giving back,' but I'm going to tell you to do whatever feels right. It is a huge part of sobriety in the AA school, which ain't a bad school at all, to give back. Plus it will make you feel good about yourself, which is something I think many of us have struggled with. You keep doin' you man, because you're awesome and more awesome sober. Just like me.

27 DAYS. A couple of days to a little milestone. I'm no super hero, just fed up and done. I've found that sugar is a major, the major, culprit in these awful bouts of flu like symptoms. I feel pretty good today.

The life coach wants me to keep 2 intensive daily journals...
1. Health: Food, Supplements and Meds, Exercise, 5 things I'm grateful for, what made me happy today, etc. Then we can do detective work with that record.

2. The Future Vision: Write down in detail what I'd like to be doing, not how to get there, but the why I want to be there. EI- I'd like to live by the water, because...' Also. every idea I have for a way to make a living that lights my fire and why it makes me excited. Every single one. How I'd like my future life to look, not how I'll do it, but why it should look that way.

There really isn't a lot of 'how' when you have a goal. There is planning like going back to school, but if you have a vision in mind the steps fall into place and you figure out each one as it comes. That's my view. Too many people are stuck on the 'how could I ever do that?' You just do it. That's it.

She (coach) has given me enough to get to work. I've got the basics of this down in 2, 2 hour sessions. I listened intently and took good notes. She's really a wonderful person. I'm lucky. (Grateful journal).

Ok, maybe I'll check in later. It was my sick friend's birthday yesterday. I went out today and got her nice sheets, a nice heavy bed pillow, bath towels, wash cloths and some other stuff. It took me a while and everything I got was on really good sales that I researched. I wanted her to be able to feel a little more cozy and clean in her place. Anyway I got there and she was grateful but said she has no food, no money for rides to doctors etc, and although it was really nice of me, she'd honestly rather just have money. I get it. I really do, but I couldn't help being offput. I started getting stressed and exhausted fast. I left, with the stuff, and it's going back to the store and I'll spend the money on something I need. Whatever. I'm cool. I'm just miffed.

Viper
Old 08-13-2017, 03:41 PM
  # 129 (permalink)  

Sounds like she needed what you got, but wanted money. Sometimes you have to give people what they need, not what they want. Or, if they are negative about it, neither. You didn't have to do anything.

Keep taking care of yourself! Sounds like it's working wonders.
Old 08-13-2017, 06:34 PM
  # 130 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by axeman5971 View Post
I did it. My first full week sober in two years.
Awesome, Axe! Keep it rolling

Vipe, I'm trying to kick sugar too. Or maybe I'll moderate it.
Old 08-13-2017, 07:06 PM
  # 131 (permalink)  

Night 8! Back to treatment tomorrow. Invited to a meeting Tuesday. 3 year wedding anniversary Wednesday, but we agreed I would go to treatment that night. Treatment Thursday. Anniversary dinner Friday or Saturday. It's shaping up to be a good week!

My next personal record is 16 days. That is a record possibly for my last decade, though I wasn't always a problem drinker. One day at a time, but I can do it.
Old 08-13-2017, 09:08 PM
  # 132 (permalink)  

Axe you are doing it.

My friend needs food, and that's what she would get with the money. It's a bigger priority than what I got. A gift card to the grocery store would have been amazing to her. Or a ride to the store and enough food to fill the fridge. Anyway, I'm not sure I should spend it on anything other than my needs now. Kind of a jerk move on my part, but whatever. Everything is ok on my end and that's what matters. I'm a major project myself.

Rascal, yeah this is a brutal reaction. I'm mean 1/2 teaspoon of sugar puts me in bed for the entire day. This is not normal. I just want to eat halfway normal. Anyway they are working on it. Maybe in 6 months.

Ok. Bed time. On to 28 days.

Viper.
Old 08-13-2017, 09:28 PM
  # 133 (permalink)  

Congrats Ax and Vipe. It is great to see you guys doing so well! Keep up to good work and remember with more sober time it gets easier. After six months I very rarely wish that I could have a drink ( or ten!)
Old 08-14-2017, 01:18 AM
  # 134 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats Axe and Viper - and everyone else - some really great progress here

D
Old 08-14-2017, 06:30 AM
  # 135 (permalink)  

I'm not going to let up. In fact, I need to step on the gas.

Before I start worrying about volunteering or even lots of exercise, my next project is going to be sleep health. I still take OTC sleep aids at a higher dose than I would like. I am going to start tapering off this week and try significant reduction over this next weekend.

I'd like to let my body's natural chemicals come back into balance!!!
Old 08-14-2017, 05:39 PM
  # 136 (permalink)  

Day 28 down. I feel good. My new med I got last week seems to work. I don't want to speak too soon. Moving forward. Thanks folks!

Vipe
Old 08-14-2017, 06:28 PM
  # 137 (permalink)  

Axe you'll find that your body will start to return to its natural rhythms and working properly without the booze. One thing about exercise is that it will make your body naturally tired. Sleeping without that stuff will be more restful. I'm still on a prescription for sleep but I cut it in half now and even skip it if I have a long tiring day. It's a little hard to sleep, being on 2 antidepressants, so they add more drugs to make you sleep! I can't wait to start to taper the antidepressants.

I started looking at Fall courses at the college I went to. As a grad I can take any course without credit for $100. I'm looking at some Graduate courses. They have some really engaging modern media and political analysis style classes. Basically blogging in response to whatever is in the news, while as studying Media Theory.

Or I could try a course in the Economics of Public Health Masters Program they have. That's the big money degree. If I can do it, get the degree. That would flip the tables for me. Just thinking.

Vipe
Old 08-14-2017, 06:30 PM
  # 138 (permalink)  

Another night sober coming!
Old 08-15-2017, 08:07 AM
  # 139 (permalink)  

I wrote a fairly long post from my phone on Sunday night only to lose it but anyway Congrats to Axe and Vipe on the progress and the positive feelings of moving forward for you both. You can do this!!
I managed to get my daughter moved in at school. Lots of emotions but I didn't need my toes Technology makes it easier. With all that I have had going on I just noticed this morning that Saturday was 6 full months sober. I like that. I hope everyone has a good week.
Old 08-15-2017, 04:20 PM
  # 140 (permalink)  

That's awesome. 6 months. Congrats.

I am headed to an AA meeting on an invite from a guy in my treatment program. Makes the anxiety of a new meeting and jumping back into AA a bit less intimidating.