Notices

Class of February 2017 Support Thread Part 6

Old 08-08-2017, 12:18 PM
  # 101 (permalink)  
Meow

Keep at it, axe. I'm proud of you!

Congrats, Dau. Hopefully you can find the solutions that you need now that drinking's no longer a reality.
Old 08-08-2017, 03:36 PM
  # 102 (permalink)  
Administrator

good to see you PC

D
Old 08-08-2017, 06:55 PM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Day two tomorrow. I am curious if the faces will be the same. How the format evolves. How we approach things over time. The new people that show up. The people who graduate.

Anyone have any recommendation on the AA formats I should prioritize?
Old 08-08-2017, 07:15 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  
Administrator

Anyone have any recommendation on the AA formats I should prioritize?
Not sure what you mean Axe?

D
Old 08-09-2017, 04:17 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Well, I had a reply typed up but lost my connection. Treatment started about AA a bit. I was wondering about like discussion, speaker, big book, etc.
Old 08-09-2017, 04:27 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  
Administrator

oh ok. I'm not an AAer myself but a lot of questions are answered here, including the various types of meetings

Your First AA Meeting<
Old 08-09-2017, 07:11 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Axe keep going. This is great. Open Meeting, Big Book, Speaker Discussion, any of them. Open meeting with a topic for the day, whatever. I'm sure you're fine with speaking but you don't have to. I'd say as many different types and dufferent locations as possible. Don't just stick around your little town (although I don't even know where you live) People I knew here were doing daily ones in the area and weekends in a more major Big Town/City. In CT people would go to New Haven and up to Northampton MA.
Old 08-09-2017, 07:18 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  

I'm done with 23 days. Seems longer. I've been really bad health wise. I'm seeing the doctors. I'm going back to the coach on Saturday, and I'm taking the opportunity to make a night of it again. Get out of town. I have been so sickly that I haven't done much. Buts it's ok I guess. She'll get it.

This is a bummer now that things got so nasty I'm forced to quit booze and can't get anything done. It would have been easier 6 months, a year ago. 2 years ago I would have been totally fine.

Ok just checking in,

Viper
Old 08-09-2017, 07:41 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  
Meow

Hang in there, Vipe. Hugs
Old 08-09-2017, 08:07 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Keep your head up Vipe.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:53 PM
  # 111 (permalink)  
Administrator

Give yourself time to heal Vipe. This is a marathon, not a sprint...And you can walk it if you want

wherever you are it's not square one...things will get better

D
Old 08-10-2017, 05:15 AM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Good job on 23 days, Vipe! I hope you are feeling better soon.
Old 08-10-2017, 05:42 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  

Thanks folks!
Old 08-10-2017, 02:29 PM
  # 114 (permalink)  

Today was distinctly better for me. I feel decent. Not fantastic, but decent is amazing comparatively. So I'll take it. I was up at 7:30, got a few things done. Coffee, oatmeal, met my nephews and brother for a little while, did my laundry and showered 'Silkwood' style since I think it was a few days there between showers.

My sick friend was begging me to come over and help her out with some laundry. I shouldn't, but I feel bad. I've got me to take care of. A good day for me shouldn't be spent over at her place. Dunno

So 24 days done? I guess so. I'll see the Life Coach at 26 days which is cool because I quit when I got the first appointment with her. So having her in my life has helped since the first phone call.

I'll check in tomorrow from the Hotel. It's worth it to get out of my parents house for the night too. I scored a good room on the Charles River at the Boston Marriott. It's so worth it to call the hotel and just keep saying you can't commit or that it's way cheaper online. Suddenly a 'Super Mega Deal' opens and their $270 rate becomes $123 including full hot breakfast, free parking and Wifi. You just need to hold out. Also demanded a river view. Haha. See if that happens.

Speaking of breakfast, this still seems to be a health condition that I can control with diet to an extent. The doctor kind of yelled at me I think because she wants me to hear it. "You can't have wheat, no sugar at all in any form, no dairy etc, etc, etc!! You know that!" Stick to what I know and read the books she told me to get, and exercise a little no matter what. Build the excrcise and perfect the diet. In 6 months of totally sticking to it, re-evaluate. That's it. Uggggh. She told me that in January.

Later on folks,

Vipe
Old 08-10-2017, 02:58 PM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Heading in to night 3 of treatment.

Vipe - I am in a big enough city that there are dozens upon dozens of meetings per week. I probably have a choice of about 5-6 per day just in my side of town.

Still sober, and I think treatment will get me through the weekend, which means a one year record!
Old 08-10-2017, 04:26 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  
Meow

Yay axe!
Old 08-10-2017, 06:20 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  

Vipe, sometimes decent is good enough I had one of the weirdest nights in a while last night -- woke up around 3:30 and couldn't go back to sleep -- not normal for me now. When I drank, that was my old time to wake up due to a full bladder and my heart pounding. Not a pleasant memory!

Axe, ride it straight through the weekend, man!
Old 08-10-2017, 07:49 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  

Got invited to a Tuesday meeting from one of the guys in my group. He's an addict not an alcoholic but I respect him already and will go. It is close by, too. I pledged 3 meetings before next Thursday. I am on the hook now!

Tomorrow will be easy to stay sober. I will get to spend the night with my wife and pups during the lull in construction here. It was the younger pups 7th birthday today!

Saturday night sobriety is my stated goal from group today. I'll achieve it with a detailed plan. My parents are back from their road trip, so I can stay there if necessary. I will also look for a meeting, and find a project to complete before the weekend is over.

This experience is interesting, but I can see it helping in small ways already. I want to see if there is any way I can volunteer to help opiate users in the area. I am seeing and hearing it firsthand and it is heartbreaking. I want to help.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:15 PM
  # 119 (permalink)  
Administrator

Wanting to help is a noble thing - but be careful not to bite off more than you can chew right now, Axe - your recovery needs to come first right now.

D
Old 08-11-2017, 08:17 AM
  # 120 (permalink)  

Being sober is not the end all be all to better days all day everyday. Life still happens and sometimes it sucks and sometimes its kick ass. Sobriety means you can feel and experience all of it both the good and the bad. When you are drinking you dull everything down and at least for me use every up and every down as an excuse to get ripped. The AV tends to get to chirping whenever I am having a less than a stellar day. One of the harder lessons for me to learn was how to deal with a bad day and how to celebrate good things without alcohol. I'm still learning but still winning as I go. I take the middle child to college this weekend. This will qualify as both good and hard for me to say the least. I know I won't drink but it does bring to the forefront some of the above sentiments. I will celebrate with good food. I will no doubt shed tears of which I never used to do. I doubt I would have to take my shoes off to count the times I've cried in my adult life. I am willing to bet the total has more than doubled in the last 6 months. Hell I might have to wear flip flops just for this weekend. It is amazing to me how rewarding it is to feel all of life. I enjoy it. I hope all of you get to enjoy it as much as I have been. Have a great weekend everyone.