Notices

Class of February 2017 Support Thread Part 4

Old 04-17-2017, 03:19 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Morning guys

Easter nearly done......too much chocolate, lol
Been great, a few days out of the daily loop. Decided at this point That I still experience all the habitual triggers for drinking....but somehow not the desire to go and act on them. Maybe starting to recognise those moments for what they are.

Congrats on making it to 55 Dis. Thanks Purple.....Easter could have been a hard few days to get thru. But not so bad.

Later
Old 04-17-2017, 03:57 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope all you guys - even the lurkers - are doing well

I really cannot rate this link highly enough...you can't change if you're still doing the things you used to do.

make a recovery plan and it will change your life for the better.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

D
Old 04-17-2017, 06:32 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  

75 days down. It's going to be interesting to see how this summer goes. I can feel myself regaining energy that I had lost, and one of the reality checks I experienced last year was struggling on what should have been an easy-ish hike.

Also, and this is kind of a new observation, I used to get, like, manic as spring set in. Almost like I was a spring (pun only somewhat intended) that released following winter. Every year, I'd have to do ALL THE THINGS. Then sometime in late summer when depression set in, I'd have a half-dozen unfinished projects. This year, I'm a lot more even. Less anxiety, maybe? I dunno. If this also means depression won't set in come late July, I'll take it.
Old 04-18-2017, 05:28 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  
Meow

I was thinking - dangerous, I know :P - that my habit of drinking when I got home is broken. I used walk in, set my stuff down, and pour a glass. Now I don't even think about it when I get home.

Not that I still don't think about it - I do. But not associated with coming home from work any more. I've been worrying about about camping season coming up, but I see that is just another habit that needs breaking.

Hang in there, everyone! I'm so proud of all of us.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:16 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Hi PC,

I like your attitude about camping season. I am leaving next week for a 6 week camping/fishing trip and have been concerned about staying away from the booze as well. I used to always enjoy a few drinks around the campfire at night. It will be another big test for me!
Old 04-18-2017, 09:24 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Hi All,
I had a very busy and active weekend and was absolutely exhausted yesterday. This is the first opportunity I have taken to post here in a few days although I did do some reading over the weekend. Sunday I had a pretty good battle with the AV as after a very productive day I grilled burgers for the family and that was a former "habit" I need to break. Until recently I didn't know it was acceptable to start a grill without a open beer in your hand
Cravings and AV battles are farther and fewer between. I was reading Dee's links for plan making again to help stay vigilant. I have been reading lots of self help books and blog type stuff lately and I think I might just write my own list of rules and to dos to live by. Mostly stolen bits pieces from others but hey I paid for the books I just won't sell my list. I am so looking forward to camping season I can hardly stand it. I will have to have a plan to ensure I stay the course sobriety wise but camping is definitely an activity that I love with or without the drink. I hope everyone is doing well.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:51 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  
Meow

Good luck, RetiredGuy! I'm jealous - six whole weeks. I generally burn most of my vacation time camping in the summer, but I only get four weeks. Our big trips this year are to the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Park on Lake Michigan, and to Pennsylvania. Besides that, we'll do weekends (some long) at local state parks.

This past weekend I shampooed the red wine stain off of the camper rug. I had a severe case of the drops last fall and some of it ended up on the rug. Probably a good indication that I wasn't going in the right direction!

ETA: glad to see another camper in you too, nexttime! Love the starting the grill w/out a beer comment lol
Old 04-18-2017, 11:39 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Rascal you'll be hopping over logs and jaunting down the trail with the booze left behind. It's going to be a HUGE difference. Also an entirely different experience.

Retiredguy, a nice 6 weeks of camping and fishing sounds excellent. Time for me to do that. You'll be very happy to be booze free. You'll really enjoy it. With booze on board you're just numbed to the beauty of nature.

I tooolllldd the car shop owner to have a power steering pump at the ready because I was pretty sure the one he put in was shot. I went in, they were very nice, they figured out the rebuilt pump they put in was shot and his supplier had one 50 miles away. So it goes back tomorrow. Also front sway bar links are rattling so I'm having those done now too. A bunch of this work was done before and the guy used the cheapest possible parts, a total scumbag. He charged through the nose too.

I'm looking for a cheap motocycle. Anybody got an 1995 500r Honda starter bike or 1989 Ninja 300 they want to give me ? There is a pretty good fixer upper on Craigslist for $600. It needs very little.

Ehhh. Time for a nap. Body is saying nooooooo more today.

A got some days under my belt.

V
Old 04-18-2017, 12:44 PM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Day 55

Think I got my counting mixed up, today is 55 days. Wow...

Things are going well, back going to meetings, well I went to one this morning, but I feel im back on track.

Everyone is going camping it seems. I want to go camping too, haha, take me with you guys

Talk to everyone tomorrow.
Old 04-18-2017, 12:55 PM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Disonant View Post
Think I got my counting mixed up, today is 55 days. Wow...

Things are going well, back going to meetings, well I went to one this morning, but I feel im back on track.

Everyone is going camping it seems. I want to go camping too, haha, take me with you guys

Talk to everyone tomorrow.
I second the group camping motion! You are almost to 2 MONTHS!!!!! Get there.
Old 04-18-2017, 12:56 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Viper - I really hope your car situation gets figured out... but in the meantime, a motorcycle would be a great option. I sold mine last year and miss it every time the sun is out and above 50 degrees. :/
Old 04-18-2017, 12:59 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  

We may not be a huge class, but we are definitely a great class... I will catch up with everything tonight, just stopping in to say Kudos to everyone.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:31 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rascalwhiteoak View Post
75 days down. It's going to be interesting to see how this summer goes. I can feel myself regaining energy that I had lost, and one of the reality checks I experienced last year was struggling on what should have been an easy-ish hike.

Also, and this is kind of a new observation, I used to get, like, manic as spring set in. Almost like I was a spring (pun only somewhat intended) that released following winter. Every year, I'd have to do ALL THE THINGS. Then sometime in late summer when depression set in, I'd have a half-dozen unfinished projects. This year, I'm a lot more even. Less anxiety, maybe? I dunno. If this also means depression won't set in come late July, I'll take it.
You'll find it's a lot easier to get summer projects done now. I did more last summer than I did the previous five years. I learned the value of "each ten minutes." Every ten minute block counts. I don't waste time like I used to now that I realize the value of time. I think you'll be amazed at how much you get done this summer. Before getting sober, I couldn't finish projects because invariably I would end up on the couch watching TV after the beer kicked in. Not any more!
Old 04-18-2017, 02:52 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  
Administrator

you are indeed a great class

D
Old 04-18-2017, 03:26 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  

The car stuff will be figured out. They just are a little disorganized. They SHOULD have just ordered a steering pump from someone else nearby and sent mine back to their supplier. Anyway, tomorrow it will be done. The crappy parts were put in by another place.

It gave me a chance to go walk around my old campus, which is near the auto shop. I bought a knit hat (I shave my balding head so I'm always wearing a beanie, unless it's 99 degrees). I got a slouchy beanie with the school colors and logo on the front. It's nice. Bright yellow and navy blue thick stripes.

The school is an old (1820's) stone campus and the flowering trees are blooming like crazy. I ran into a professor I know and she told me that tomorrow there's a lecture by an amazing travel writer, called The Art of Narration and Travel Writing. I think I'll go. That's what I was going to do before everyone who could board a plane and type said, 'hey, I'm an adventurer!!' Uggghhh.

I took that nap earlier and I'm toast now. Feel lousy. I got a piece of steak and a sweet potato. I'm cooking that and drinking plenty of water. Tomorrow is another new day.

I woke up this morning and felt like something was wrong and I was like 'omg I drank last night?' Nope. Just one of those weird feelings when you wake. Maybe I was dreaming. I was soooooo happy I was wrong.

Ok talk before I go to sleep.

V
Old 04-18-2017, 06:16 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Sober Day # 73 after being dependent on wine, daily, for years.

Hi Class,

Found out that someone I was fond of died very suddenly. It is a real shock. In the old days, I would definitely have come home and poured a glass over that.
I am in a strange state of mind.

Hope you are all well and standing strong.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:41 PM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Dauc, I am sorry for your loss.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:46 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  

D, I hate to hear that. My thoughts are with you.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:54 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  
Meow

Sorry for your loss, Dauc. (((Hugs)))
Old 04-18-2017, 07:04 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Condolences Dau...
Take care.....you will get to the other end of how you feel in the moment