Notices

Class of March 2017 Support Thread Part One

Old 03-05-2017, 06:38 AM
  # 161 (permalink)  

Hi all, I am new to sober recovery, but not new to recovery. I feel as if I try so hard and don't see the results. I have often found myself picking myself to try again. I refuse to let alcoholism win. I won't stop trying. My life is of value. I have found this a very lonely road. I often have no one to connect and talk to. Thanks for having me hear!
Old 03-05-2017, 06:50 AM
  # 162 (permalink)  

Glad to have you. Here you are not alone! So many good people to help you. Keep posting so that you feel like you are not alone. I finally did and it is very helpful.
Old 03-05-2017, 06:55 AM
  # 163 (permalink)  

Hi all-- day 4. Had a fair amount of anxiety yesterday -- traveling with my adult children can do that too LOL.

I'll be able to contribute more when I get home on Friday.
Old 03-05-2017, 11:05 AM
  # 164 (permalink)  

Hey guys,
I love coming here and reading all the words of encouragement, and how you all support each other. It's really nice to see.
Welcome to all the new people. I am happy you are here!!
On day 3 here, I think. My days and nights are all mixed up, and I have massive brain fog, but I am still sober. I just wish that I would truly 'get it' this time, because I don't want to have to go through this again. I am so tired.
Anyway, happy Sunday. Oh yeah, btw, I quit smoking, too, when I quit the pills. That has been super fun. So, I can relate to all of you who are struggling with that, too.
You are all doing amazing, whether you are on day 1, 100, or 1,000. It is really hard to quit, so be proud of yourselves. I am proud of you all.
Now, I just have to figure out how to fill up another day with doing things I don't really want to do in order to not do the things I really want to do.
One minute at a time today, I guess.
Old 03-05-2017, 12:59 PM
  # 165 (permalink)  

13 days

Initial withdrawal seems to be gone but feel like I'm getting symptoms of PAWS. Still feeling anxiety though and that's unbearable. I REFUSE to go through this again. Sending good vibes to everyone!
Old 03-05-2017, 01:06 PM
  # 166 (permalink)  

Day 3

Well, managed to make it to day 3...Managed to sleep slightly better, still a bit shaky but honestly this is the first time in days I've actually not found the idea of solid food to be repulsive. I forgot about the depression aspect of being sober though. I'm really hoping that goes away. To be honest I kind of want to lay in bed and cry but I know that isn't very productive so I'm just trying to stay occupied with Minecraft and the like. (On a side note, my town I have in Minecraft has gotten pretty awesome since starting this)

Peaceful - Congrats on 13 weeks! Honestly reading that you got that far and things are getting better made me feel a bit better myself. When I woke up I was starting to feel like this might be a lost cause, but it's good knowing there's hope.

Dls - I like your perspective on this...For as much as this sucks I don't wanna go through this again either
Old 03-05-2017, 01:07 PM
  # 167 (permalink)  

Paws seems to be just what people call that phase after the first few months when the excitement of sobriety has worn off and you feel depressed because you haven't had much personal growth and maybe you haven't been taking care of yourself.. so you don't feel well but you blame it on quitting drinking. Water, a healthy diet and exercise seem to be the best things.
Old 03-05-2017, 01:09 PM
  # 168 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarangel View Post
Now, I just have to figure out how to fill up another day with doing things I don't really want to do in order to not do the things I really want to do.
One minute at a time today, I guess.
Such words of truth! We'll get through this though and be better off for it!
Old 03-05-2017, 02:36 PM
  # 169 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by BrendaChenowyth View Post
Paws seems to be just what people call that phase after the first few months when the excitement of sobriety has worn off and you feel depressed because you haven't had much personal growth and maybe you haven't been taking care of yourself.. so you don't feel well but you blame it on quitting drinking. Water, a healthy diet and exercise seem to be the best things.
Paws is a little more than that I think Brenda?

it's a return to withdrawal symptoms - sometimes that can be depression but it can be a host of other things too - headache, fever, loss of appetite, giddiness....

Not everyone will get it and Dls2041, for those who do get it it usually doesn't kick in til after the first month.

http://digital-dharma.net/post-acute...r-immediately/

Any malaise before that 30 days is almost certainly just plan old withdrawal and the effects from our body and mind returning to normal.

D
Old 03-05-2017, 02:37 PM
  # 170 (permalink)  
Administrator

Guys...I know it's hard but can we try as much as we can not to bring politics into the thread?

I find that it's inevitable there's always someone else in the thread with an opposite viewpoint and it all kinda gets in the way of what we're all here for - support and recovery

D
Old 03-05-2017, 02:39 PM
  # 171 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Kromriver
Enjoy Poldark CrackleLog
Old 03-05-2017, 06:32 PM
  # 172 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I think having a group like this - and reaching out to it - can make all the difference Mandosca.

Whatever happened before doesn't need to happen again - we can make different choices this time

D
You're absolutely right. This will be different this time. It has to be. :-)
Old 03-05-2017, 06:46 PM
  # 173 (permalink)  

Hello!!
Jumping in. Look forward to getting caught up. Day 5 here. Day 3 was a struggle. But isn't it always ��
I have done a lot of walking and movement. Seems to be very helpful. Lots of water and a little ice cream. Have a great day/night!
Old 03-05-2017, 07:03 PM
  # 174 (permalink)  
Sober date: 20th May 2023

Hi Marchers. I've had various stretches of sobriety always followed by falling of the wagon in spectacular style. It's a horrible way to live and I don't want to live like this anymore. Let's do this together. xxxxx
Old 03-05-2017, 07:10 PM
  # 175 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Mish and letitgo

D
Old 03-05-2017, 07:31 PM
  # 176 (permalink)  
Asa

Second weekend down, so that makes two weeks sober (I didn't drink during the week before, so not sure if it counts but whatever!).

Is it wrong to feel friggen bored? I looked forward to drinking on the weekend, it was such a great release (insert: at least until the next morning, when things were worse). If I didn't drink, I felt like I was wasting a perfectly good drinking night. After a few drinks, really mundane stuff like watching videos on Youtube or watching a movie I've seen 5x before was far more doable. Now it feels like I have to REALLY occupy myself.

Doesn't help that I have two young kids, so I don't have much of a social life. Or maybe that's a good thing come to think of it.

I told people I gave up drinking for Lent. That's not the best thing to say, huh? I'm supposed to come out with it, aren't I.
Old 03-05-2017, 10:20 PM
  # 177 (permalink)  

Well, the close of day 8 and boy was I a ditz today. Full open to close at the tavern working today, and as productive as I was, I have trouble concentrating when I'm sober? I'm worse at bar tending sober?!? Haha. No cravings yet. I think watching all the drinkers spend their money, squabble over dumb topics and slur their words while chain smoking just isn't very attractive. I certainly don't feel superior, just thankful it's not me. I live in a very small logging town where everyone knows everyone so it gives me time to hang out with drinking friends while not drinking and making money. Welcome to everyone! So great to see such encouragement from all over the globe. It's a universal problem that brings us together to help each other out. Beauty out of something not so pretty. Off to dig in the dirt at my nursery job. So excited to start.
Old 03-06-2017, 12:00 AM
  # 178 (permalink)  

Hello all. Sorry for the absence over the last few days. I was away for work - on a remote island where there's no internet. Came back yesterday evening. Despite very difficult circumstances (colleagues binging), I was able to abstain.

I'm on Day 9 and absolutely loving it.
Old 03-06-2017, 12:03 AM
  # 179 (permalink)  

Old 03-06-2017, 05:01 AM
  # 180 (permalink)  

Looks like there are a lot of sober Marchers waking up this am! One day at a time. Hope your day is a peaceful one.