Class of March 2017 Support Thread Part One

Old 03-06-2017, 05:20 AM
  # 181 (permalink)  
Sober date: 20th May 2023

Nitey nite all xxx
Old 03-06-2017, 05:43 AM
  # 182 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Asa View Post
Second weekend down, so that makes two weeks sober (I didn't drink during the week before, so not sure if it counts but whatever!).

Is it wrong to feel friggen bored? I looked forward to drinking on the weekend, it was such a great release (insert: at least until the next morning, when things were worse). If I didn't drink, I felt like I was wasting a perfectly good drinking night. After a few drinks, really mundane stuff like watching videos on Youtube or watching a movie I've seen 5x before was far more doable. Now it feels like I have to REALLY occupy myself.

Doesn't help that I have two young kids, so I don't have much of a social life. Or maybe that's a good thing come to think of it.

I told people I gave up drinking for Lent. That's not the best thing to say, huh? I'm supposed to come out with it, aren't I.
The boredom is one of the hardest parts for me. My oldest son is almost 18 so hes always gone or hiding in his room, my husband is a very quiet person (unlike me, I'm a non stop talker) and it's only so long that you can hang out with a 10 year old. :-)

Drinking use to give me energy and keep me entertained. I was perfectly content having drinks and re-organizing the book shelf for the 10th time. Quitting drinking makes me feel lonely and bored. But, on the other hand, drinking has also secluded me from my friends, I never go out or do anything anymore.

Maybe a new hobby is what we need? Or more time with friends/family that don't drink, Just getting out of the house more?
We're going to try going to late movies more with my youngest, that way by the time we get home it will be bed time and there wont be anytime to get bored and think about alcohol. :-)
Old 03-06-2017, 05:52 AM
  # 183 (permalink)  

try thinking outside the square guys. WHAT IS SOMETHING YOU HAVE ALWAYS WANTED TO DO?
Old 03-06-2017, 05:59 AM
  # 184 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PhoenixJ View Post
try thinking outside the square guys. WHAT IS SOMETHING YOU HAVE ALWAYS WANTED TO DO?
I've always wanted to be one of those girls with the really cute exercise outfits running down the road. Too bad I hate exercise with a passion.. lol :-)

Seriously though, you've got me thinking now.. I think I'll make a list of all the things I want to do or accomplish, something to look forward too!
Old 03-06-2017, 06:41 AM
  # 185 (permalink)  

I am back after a very long time....Day 1 today. I can feel my drinking getting out of control again. Time to stop for good
Old 03-06-2017, 08:14 AM
  # 186 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kelle96 View Post
I am back after a very long time....Day 1 today. I can feel my drinking getting out of control again. Time to stop for good
Welcome Back. Stay close to SR. Everyone here is wonderful :-)
Old 03-06-2017, 08:57 AM
  # 187 (permalink)  

Good morning or evening to you all depending where you are at.
Start of day 10 today. The weekend had a few cravings but I put them away and kept doing this one minute at a time.

Hoping you all had a good weekend

asixstringnut
Old 03-06-2017, 11:05 AM
  # 188 (permalink)  

Well, I'm back on track! At least I'm sober tonight and feeling really proud about it. I walked right past the shop in the way home and listened to the voice in my head that told me to just keep on walkin'. Having a cozy night with my dear husband and the dog, watching old Lost reruns. Heaven xxx
Old 03-06-2017, 12:30 PM
  # 189 (permalink)  

Made it to day 4! Honestly i didn't even expect to get this far, but posting on here really helps. Had some cravings for alcohol last night but then I remembered a lot of the stuff I've done under the influence that I'm beyond not proud of and I didn't really wanna drink anymore. Still hoping the depression and anxiety go away soon, they kinda come in waves, but thankfully I have plenty of positive people and things in my life to get back to feeling better.

Also to everyone, whether you're at Day 1 or day 41, I believe in you! We can do this together!
Old 03-06-2017, 12:37 PM
  # 190 (permalink)  

I did not drink for just over a week now. I was kinda ok today but kinda not. I have been saying to my beast "I don't drink, EVER" but my beast has been saying ''who cares" and "I don't give a ****"- not sure why this has come up today. I am certainly tense and eating, eating eating. I need to do something else when the extra challenge comes up, such as posting here or referring to a list I wrote about the benefits of not drinking.

My husband continues to drink every night- he has gone off to the shop now to his supply. I will have coke. Thanks for being here, so I can spout.
Old 03-06-2017, 12:51 PM
  # 191 (permalink)  

Hello everyone and welcome to the new Marchers. You have some really good sobriety going. Congrats to your milestones.

To anyone who's suffering, please keep going, hang in there, the craving will pass, kick your AV into shape. You can do this. Baby steps and one minute, one day at a time.
Old 03-06-2017, 01:00 PM
  # 192 (permalink)  

Hi March group

I'm still on my sobriety journey, and January didn't go so well, I drank twice in february, and just over this last weekend, I drank on Sat night and all day Sunday.
I am working on my plan today and spending the day just trying to rest and be healthy and kind to myself. It's difficult but it's what I have to do. I had some anxiety, chills and nausea for a few hours this morning, but feeling better this afternoon. I don't have access to any more alcohol, after going through 3 bottles of wine and 7-8 beers in a period of 24 hours. Surprisingly I am not sick, but definitely don't want to do that again! I would like to be part of the March group now. Hope you all are having a very good sober Monday!
Old 03-06-2017, 01:27 PM
  # 193 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AmanitaMuscaria View Post
Well, managed to make it to day 3...Managed to sleep slightly better, still a bit shaky but honestly this is the first time in days I've actually not found the idea of solid food to be repulsive. I forgot about the depression aspect of being sober though. I'm really hoping that goes away. To be honest I kind of want to lay in bed and cry but I know that isn't very productive so I'm just trying to stay occupied with Minecraft and the like. (On a side note, my town I have in Minecraft has gotten pretty awesome since starting this)

Peaceful - Congrats on 13 weeks! Honestly reading that you got that far and things are getting better made me feel a bit better myself. When I woke up I was starting to feel like this might be a lost cause, but it's good knowing there's hope.

Dls - I like your perspective on this...For as much as this sucks I don't wanna go through this again either

How are you doing today? Hoping today is better for you!
Old 03-06-2017, 01:30 PM
  # 194 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carlygirl View Post
I did not drink for just over a week now. I was kinda ok today but kinda not. I have been saying to my beast "I don't drink, EVER" but my beast has been saying ''who cares" and "I don't give a ****"- not sure why this has come up today. I am certainly tense and eating, eating eating. I need to do something else when the extra challenge comes up, such as posting here or referring to a list I wrote about the benefits of not drinking.

My husband continues to drink every night- he has gone off to the shop now to his supply. I will have coke. Thanks for being here, so I can spout.
Carlygirl - right there with you! I am at 14 days today and my husband is a daily drinker also. Hard watching him do what we usually did together. We can do this! Hang in there!
Old 03-06-2017, 01:33 PM
  # 195 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bronzie View Post
I'm still on my sobriety journey, and January didn't go so well, I drank twice in february, and just over this last weekend, I drank on Sat night and all day Sunday.
I am working on my plan today and spending the day just trying to rest and be healthy and kind to myself. It's difficult but it's what I have to do. I had some anxiety, chills and nausea for a few hours this morning, but feeling better this afternoon. I don't have access to any more alcohol, after going through 3 bottles of wine and 7-8 beers in a period of 24 hours. Surprisingly I am not sick, but definitely don't want to do that again! I would like to be part of the March group now. Hope you all are having a very good sober Monday!
Welcome Bronze! It sounds like you were doing pretty well during February except a few hiccups. I bet you can do even better in March!
Old 03-06-2017, 04:29 PM
  # 196 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dls2041 View Post
How are you doing today? Hoping today is better for you!
Today is a lot better now, thanks! Was feeling all depressed and having alcohol cravings, but then I remembered someone on here saying eating icecream and sweets helps...so I went and got myself a bunch of sour candies and pigged out! Now no more cravings right now! I think a greasy sandwich and cheese fries helped too lol! Not that I plan on the greasy stuff everyday, but candy is a lot cheaper than booze!

What about you? How are you doing today?
Old 03-06-2017, 04:56 PM
  # 197 (permalink)  
Desperate For Sobriety

So nice to pour over recent posts and see I'm not alone in my struggles to resist drinking. It's only been 4 days for me. I actually got through the weekend fairly well, but today after work I had heavy cravings. Thanks to all of you for sharing your struggles, it helps so much!
Old 03-06-2017, 06:42 PM
  # 198 (permalink)  

Being good to myself

Had a productive day (as well as could be expected). Got some work done, although not as much as I should have. I got a bunch of B complex vitamins and regular multivitamins. Did a half hour on the elliptical machine and am sitting for a bit in an epsom salts bath. Hopefully I don't drop my phone.

Tomorrow my goal is to walk my dog for 20-30 minutes before work and try to substitute decaf for my coffee. I do think that caffeine predisposes me to cravings. I'm sure there's some literature on it somewhere. Blood sugar or something. I like the routine of it in the morning though.

I am thinking about good ways to cultivate a deeper spiritual dimension in my life. It's so much harder to find the time to meditate than it is to watch trashy true crime shows.

It's strange how sending these messages off into the void are actually very helpful. As is reading other people's stories. Keep it up!
Old 03-06-2017, 09:59 PM
  # 199 (permalink)  

I agree with BadgerFan and CrackleLog, it makes it so much easier throughout the day to come on here and read everyone's stories! I really honestly didn't think I would get to day 4, let alone almost day 5, but I gotta say coming on here has helped more than I can say! It's also awesome how you can communicate on SR 24/7, which is EXTREMELY helpful when you're feeling bad/getting cravings in the middle of the night!
Old 03-06-2017, 10:20 PM
  # 200 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AmanitaMuscaria View Post
Today is a lot better now, thanks! Was feeling all depressed and having alcohol cravings, but then I remembered someone on here saying eating icecream and sweets helps...so I went and got myself a bunch of sour candies and pigged out! Now no more cravings right now! I think a greasy sandwich and cheese fries helped too lol! Not that I plan on the greasy stuff everyday, but candy is a lot cheaper than booze!

What about you? How are you doing today?
Yes! The candy and ice cream was mt savior days 2- now (end of day 9). Just started in on peanut butter pretzel gelato. I've gotta slow down. Trading one habit in for another. I just to try all the flavors I read an article about=research😈 keep up the great work.